PDA

View Full Version : My luggage was not at the port when we got off the ship!! Disney's response...

3minnie's1mickey
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
THEY COULD CARE LESS!!!

We had placed our bags out by our door the night before and that was the last time we saw them!! Unfortunatly I had NOT purchased the insurance and Disney was NOT going to do anything to assist us in any way except if someone called and said they had our suitcase they would pay for that person to ship it back to us. They were very rude and there was an obviouse lack of compasion for our situation. They said loosing luggage or people picking up someone else luggage is uncommon but does happen. My husband had NO clothes except the shirt on his back and we had 4 days left of our DISNEY vacation!! I was very dissapointed with the way the situation was handled!!

LESSON LEARNED...if you do not have insurance on your bags DO NOT place them outside your door to be taken to the port!!!

Has anyone else ever had this happen?? I just wonder how common it REALLY is and how you felt about the way Disney handled the situation!!

mmmears
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh my! I am so sorry...

We only travel with carry-ons for the plane. I guess we'll just keep our suitcases and take them with us to breakfast...:sad2:

I hope your luggage is found...

catzle
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh I would be so ticked if they treated me that way. Man has Disney lost their caring side?

joestein
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Lets not kid ourselves. Disney is great when everything works out, but they are horrible at customer service when there is a problem. Especially if it would involve expenses to them.

Joe

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Everyone's bags were missing? Wow!

My suitcase was not where it was supposed to be when I got off the Wonder in December. After talking to several people working in the terminal, I was told that someone else had picked up my suitcase by mistake, and it was outside the luggage area. Now HOW someone else could accidentally pick-up MY suitcase (with my name on the luggage tag and DCL tag, and arranged by cabin number) - is beyond me! I was just happy to get it back, as I also had 5 more days of vacation at WDW.

3minnie's1mickey
02-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh I would be so ticked if they treated me that way. Man has Disney lost their caring side?

Seriously I had one guy say to me on the phone "you are not going to GET anything from us" as if I was looking for a hand out. I reminded him I wanted to GET my LUGGAGE!!!

dejnosluvmickey
02-12-2010, 10:09 PM

My suitcase was not where it was supposed to be when I got off the Wonder in December. After talking to several people working in the terminal, I was told that someone else had picked up my suitcase by mistake, and it was outside the luggage area. Now HOW someone else could accidentally pick-up MY suitcase (with my name on the luggage tag and DCL tag, and arranged by cabin number) - is beyond me! I was just happy to get it back, as I also had 5 more days of vacation at WDW.

most times its not the passenger but the "porters" helping with the luggage. Happened to us two years ago, I caught it loading into car.

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
most times its not the passenger but the "porters" helping with the luggage. Happened to us two years ago, I caught it loading into car.
Do you mean the "porters" helping themselves - or just careless?

3minnie's1mickey
02-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Do you mean the "porters" helping themselves - or just careless?

I think careless

dejnosluvmickey
02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
porters being careless. you pull your bags out and off tables, they grab and dolley them to your car. But they grabbed two extra bags somehow. not paying attention to what they are doing.

Rob1559
02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Are you talking about putting your luggage outside your cabin at the cruise's last night? If so my thoughts are also with what was stated, possibly the porters who take you through the customs. Just an idea. Believe me when I say Disney will care when you make a big deal of it in public.

cats mom
02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
We had 1 bag that was MIA after a DCL cruise. Of course there wasn't much that could be done that morning; but the CM we spoke with seemed very concerned, took all our info, kept in touch, and the bag was on our doorstep within 24 hours of us being notified that it had been found. We were heading home, so no immediate need for anything in the luggage. But I do understand that sick feeling when your bag just isn't there.

Sorry you're dealing with it too OP. Was this recent, has there been any news on your bags? I think ours showed up just over a week after we cruised. Maybe it went on another cruise without us. ;)

We didn't have insurance either, so we were just thankful that DCL found our bag and shipped it at no cost to us. Anyway, long story just to say that I was pleased with the response we got from DCL.

I'm not one of the DCL can do no wrong folks... but I guess I do wonder what you feel their response should have been?

tngal
02-12-2010, 11:10 PM

We had the same thing happen to us on our Dec.2009 cruise! We found 1 of 2 of our pieces of luggage. They at first told us that apparently we hadn't put them outside the night before, well duh do you not think we would remember 2 very large pieces of luggage? Eventually after filling out some paperwork, they recieved a "Call" that someone else had picked it up and realized they had the wrong one and returned it, we had to leave the luggage area to go get it.

Lisa

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
We had the same thing happen to us on our Dec.2009 cruise! We found 1 of 2 of our pieces of luggage. They at first told us that apparently we hadn't put them outside the night before, well duh do you not think we would remember 2 very large pieces of luggage? Eventually after filling out some paperwork, they recieved a "Call" that someone else had picked it up and realized they had the wrong one and returned it, we had to leave the luggage area to go get it.

Lisa

Were you by any chance on the Dec. 6 -10 Wonder?

stitch'sgirl
02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=3minnie's1mickey;35410475]THEY COULD CARE LESS!!!

QUOTE]

Wow - sounds unfortunate for your entire traveling party:eek:
Who did you try to contact?

Pattiwig
02-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Two of our bags were taken by someone else after the 2005 Panama Canal cruise, and we too, had three days at the parks. We were told the bags were at one of the rental car offices in the area, the person who took them left them. We went to pick up our car, drove to the other office - NO Bags!. Called DCL again. They told us to go to our hotel and they would see where the bags were. They called later and said the bags were at the Orlando airport, by nightfall we had them at the Saritoga Springs. Thankfully we had other suitcases, albeit with dirty clothes, so I threw in a load of laundry as soon as we checked in. It was a giant pain, but thankfully resolved. Now I put the brightest, ugliest, biggest ribbon on the handles so no one can mistake their bags for ours.

madcoco
02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear. Call the police? File a police report? Not saying it is but could be part of a theft ring. When we lived in Vegas we were victims of such a ring at the Airport after returning home from a trip.(By filing a police report,our Homeowner's Insurance covered some of the loss) They just busted a couple in Phoenix recently with a house and garage full of bags. They were just walking in and taking bags off the carousel at Sky Harbor. A bag here A bag there Was going on for months. People just reported that the Airlines lost their bags.

kcashner
02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Ummm gang, DCL can't control what some passengers do. Yes, some people who cruise, fly, etc. can be careless or stupid. I suspect that the porters make an effort, but they probably don't verify the name on every piece of luggage they pick up.

I used ME for one trip (you know where THEY are supposed to get your luggage from the baggage carousel at the airport?) 2 of our 3 bags arrived in our room at WDW as planned. The third bag (mine!) took 3 days to arrive after multiple calls, etc. Eventually it was in the room and the bellman reported that it had been "found" by the Budget car rental desk. Made no sense to me.

When I got home, there were 3 phone messages from some idiot who had called my home number from the ID tag on my suitcase asking ME to return HER suitcase. Seems she figured that because she had picked up mine, I must have hers????? The last message said that she was going to take my suitcase back to the Budget counter and hoped I would return hers. The only thing that made sense to me was that ME couldn't get my case because this person had mistakenly taken it thinking it was hers. So....is ME responsible--no. And, unless I'm in a real rush for some reason, I no longer allow anyone (ME, DCL transfers, or otherwise) to claim my luggage from the airline. I claim it and take it with me to the ME desk. Yeah, it's more work and hassle, but I then KNOW whether it was lost by the airline or by Disney if it doesn't show up, and I stand there and watch for it. I also pack using the "musical suitcases" system so everyone has at least one complete outfit in each bag--that way if we end up with only ONE bag, each person will have one outfit in addition to what they are wearing.

I agree, the CM shouldn't have had an attitude with OP, and it is very likely that the bag will show up. However, the fault probably doesn't rest with DCL unless you'd like them to place a CM to check the name on each bag as people leave.

Brooklyn
02-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Lets not kid ourselves. Disney is great when everything works out, but they are horrible at customer service when there is a problem. Especially if it would involve expenses to them.

Joe

Amen

That is the MOST frustrating part of any Disney vacation. When things are good they are GREAT but when things go wrong they go VERY WRONG!

I have to say on our last cruise we had a few problems. I was basically in tears telling my husband maybe it is time to stop taking Disney cruises. No one was really even willing to help us. I was SO disappointed. Somehow though our information got passed on to a guest services manager. Well this manager was AMAZING! Hands down the BEST DCL employee. She called me, she came to dinner and sat with us for a little while, she stopped in at events we were at and even came to say good-bye on the last night at dinner! ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!! Her story was even better. She was hired as a room steward and worked her way up in only 3 contracts to one of the ship's officers! Disney needs more people like her!!!!

auntsue1
02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow! I'm not a lawyer but I would think Disney couldn't get away with that because it could fall under the legal principle called "voluntary bailment". You did what you were supposed to do and you suffered because of their rule.

sayhello
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
So I never really liked the idea of putting my suitcase out at 11pm the night before, anyways. Especially since I'll be disembarking as late as possible because my flight out is not until late afternoon. Is there any reason to not carry it out myself? Can I leave it in my cabin, go get breakfast, and then walk out with my suitcase in hand? I'm going to visit family for an additional 5 days after the cruise, and there's no way I'm going without my suitcase. DCL shipping it to my house ain't going to help me.

Sayhello

Belle2667
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
After getting of the Mexican Riviera cruise in June 2008, we found that 1 of our suitcases was missing. The crazy thing was there was an identical suitcase left behind by someone else. (We know since we stayed around until virtually everyone else was gone.) We searched that piece of luggage and found a name and number. We asked Disney to contact these people to see if they had our piece (since they were identical). The say they called them, but all we heard was that they contacted Disney about a piece they left behind and Disney shipped it out to them. (In retrospect, we should have taken that piece and held it hostage:rotfl2:)

We also left a message for these people and no response. We contacted the local airports as well. Nothing. We were travelling to the Grand Canyon following our cruise and luckily we did do the musical suitcases as well, but they had the suitcase with all our clean clothes so the first thing upon arriving at the GC was laundry.

Fortunately, we had insurance, but we had to provide receipts for the items in that suitcase. What? We don't buy all new items prior to vacation and didn't have receipts for everything. We were reimbursed for receipts we could furnish.

It definitely sucks and I have since decorated my suitcases using fabric paints (they have DO NOT TOUCH very pronounced on them) so they are very visibly unique and should not be picked up by anyone else.

Every time we see clothing or something laying in a road, we always comment on maybe it's our missing clothing! I mean, it must be somewhere!:lmao:

catzle
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, so if you don't have receipts they won't reinburse you? Most people don't go out and buy all new clothes every time they travel. Doesn't seem quite right. Now when my husband lost his luggage once through the airline. They let him buy new clothes and reinbursed him for all of that but needed his receipts but that was easy since they were just bought.

TinksDH
02-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow, so if you don't have receipts they won't reinburse you? Most people don't go out and buy all new clothes every time they travel. Doesn't seem quite right. Now when my husband lost his luggage once through the airline. They let him buy new clothes and reinbursed him for all of that but needed his receipts but that was easy since they were just bought.

It depends on your travel insurance policy and what their terms/conditions are.

Tneah
02-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Belle,

If you're still looking for your luggage it might be here.

http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/tourthestore.html

There was a report on this place n the news. Some guy who lost his luggage found it at this place. He had to buy back his own things.
They even had tons of wedding gowns.

Last october after our 3 day DCL cruise we wer going on a & day with RCL. When we went to pick-up our baggage two pieces of luggage were missing. We searched for awhile. Then I spotted our marked luggage in a different section. The porters/or DCl didn't read the room number correctly so the bags were placed with somebody else's luggage.

I was sweating and freaked out that we were going on a 7 day and 2 us weren't going to have clothing.

blkim
02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Wow! I'm not a lawyer but I would think Disney couldn't get away with that because it could fall under the legal principle called "voluntary bailment". You did what you were supposed to do and you suffered because of their rule.

Just an FYI, we just got off the Wonder and we did NOT put our bags out the night before. I just didnt like the idea of it. Its not mandatory, you absolutely can hand carry your bags off the ship. We didnt use the DCL bus, we didnt book air thru them, and on our flights we didnt even check the bags. Two adults, two children and we had two rollaboard suitcases and two small backpacks.

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
If everyone carried off their own luggage, it would be a nightmare getting on an elevator and off the ship.

Blanche_Neige
02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I have never been on a cruise therefore I have no idea how they handle luggage.

I have a question why do you put your suitcases outside your door the night before? That sounds very odd to me. Anyone could take it... anyone could put something in your suitcases... I know that sounds paranoid, but I just remember all the times I hear the recorded messages at the airport: never leave your suitcases unattended... or how many time have I been asked at the border my suitcase was always under our care and if I knew the exact content of our suitcases...

just saying

Goofy Mum
02-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Never rely on your baggage labels! A lot of bags look exactly the same. A few times my bags came up missing from flights and turned up later at the airport. I always buy the ugliest bright bags I can buy AND I have bright orange straps I put around each case as well as a coloured bandana for the handle. There's no mistake they're my bags.

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 12:35 PM
I have never been on a cruise therefore I have no idea how they handle luggage.

I have a question why do you put your suitcases outside your door the night before? That sounds very odd to me. Anyone could take it... anyone could put something in your suitcases... I know that sounds paranoid, but I just remember all the times I hear the recorded messages at the airport: never leave your suitcases unattended... or how many time have I been asked at the border my suitcase was always under our care and if I knew the exact content of our suitcases...

just saying

The crew collects the luggage on the last night and unloads it in the cruise ship terminal the next morning after you arrive in home port. This is to save time, so 2400 people won't jam the elevators and stairwells with luggage as they disembark the ship. You can lock your suitcases, as long as you unlock them at the airport (or use TSA-approved locks).

inkkognito
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I totally feel your pain. We've had very few genuinely bad experiences on DCL, but we had something similar to this happen many years back and it was a mess. Someone took a couple of our bags by mistake (guest, not porter) and DCL told us we had to wait until literally every piece of luggage was claimed, I guess so they could see if they bags showed up or someone brought them back. We had hired a towncar but were not allowed to call them to warn of the delay because you can't use your cell in the customs area. Big kudos to our Happy Limo driver for waiting anyway. Worse yet, I was in a wheelchair as I'd suffered an injury on the ship. Thankfully we still made our flight and DCL arranged for our bags to be shipped from the person who had them (they ended up in Wisconsin if I remember correctly) so we eventually got them back. But it was truly not one of their shining moments in customer service. I know it was the guest's fault, not theirs, but to make us wait for all the luggage to be claimed and to not be able to call our ride was ridiculous.

Hubby marked all our bags now with huge stripes of white duct tape and for a long time thereafter he insisted on carrying them off ourselves.

kcashner
02-13-2010, 12:44 PM
DCL's taking the luggage from outside your cabin the last night to the terminal the next morning is a service they offer. You do not have to put your bags out, but if you don't YOU will be handling them the next morning. Unfortunately, when you leave your cabin for breakfast the last morning, you are supposed to be out of the room with all your stuff (so the hosts can start cleaning the rooms for the next guests). Thus, you have to take all your luggage to breakfast.

Luggage piled outside the restaurant is just as likely to be taken (accidentally or intentionally) as luggage left outside your cabin the night before. Luggage taken into the dining room with you makes a gigantic obstacle course for the servers.

Blanche_Neige
02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
The crew collects the luggage on the last night and unloads it in the cruise ship terminal the next morning after you arrive in home port. This is to save time, so 2400 people won't jam the elevators and stairwells with luggage as they disembark the ship. You can lock your suitcases, as long as you unlock them at the airport (or use TSA-approved locks).

Can you do the airline check in the same why we do it at the resorts?

Evil Queen 2
02-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry that OP had an unfavorable discussion with the DCL personnel. I'm just amazed that considering all the luggage they deal with week in and week out that there aren't more "missing" bags.

I have personally seen too many times in the airports folks grab up bags off the luggage area, start to walk away, then realize they have the wrong bag. Most of them bring the bag back to the carousel but I've seen some leave them right were they were and go back to look for their bag. Which brings in that whole nightmare of "unattended bag" and security. People get rushed and don't check the tags on the bag to make sure they have their own bag.

Our family has bright colored locking TSA straps plus we have used colored tape on the sides of the bags to make them stand out. My in-laws use tape to make the first initial of their name. A black bag with a huge yellow "M" on the side is hard to miss. :)

And by the way on returning home from our recent cruise I had the "greetings" note from TSA inside one of my bags. So those TSA locking straps work.

Dizzyworld
02-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Due to the lime green color associated with the DIS boards, my DH one Christmas gave me a large lime green suitcase. It makes me laugh everytime I use it. It is easy to see it. :lmao:

kcashner
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Can you do the airline check in the same why we do it at the resorts?

Yes, IF you are on a participating airline, have a flight within the required times, are using DCL transfers, and have requested onboard check in.

Blanche_Neige
02-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes, IF you are on a participating airline, have a flight within the required times, are using DCL transfers, and have requested onboard check in.

mmm, than I think we will use DCL transfert. it is more $$$ but if I don't have to worry about suitcases for a family of 5 it is well worth it! ;)

kcashner
02-13-2010, 03:08 PM
mmm, than I think we will use DCL transfert. it is more $$$ but if I don't have to worry about suitcases for a family of 5 it is well worth it! ;)

You only need to use the DCL transfers on the way back to MCO...can still use the cheaper method of your choice on the way to the terminal. Yes, the onboard check in DOES make it worth the cost of the transfers IMHO. Be sure you are on a participating airline.

inkkognito
02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I have personally seen too many times in the airports folks grab up bags off the luggage area, start to walk away, then realize they have the wrong bag. Most of them bring the bag back to the carousel but I've seen some leave them right were they were and go back to look for their bag.
Worse yet, for a while at MCO we had theft rings who were purposely grabbing and taking off with other people's bags. You don't have to worry about that in the terminal because it's just your fellow passengers. At MCO anyone has access to the baggage carousel area so organized theft rings can easily pull that sort of thing.

And if you want to take your own bags off and don't want the inconvenience of lugging them to breakfast, get something at the buffet before taking them out of your room or skip breakfast altogether (that's what we do because we're usually tired of eating by the end of the cruise anyway).

orlandothebeagle
02-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Im sorry, that really sucks, what an end to your crusie.
At another airport, I watched someone take my bag off the carousel !!! My hubby thought I had lost the plot cause I took off after a random person, rather than look at the label, she actually started going through it to see if it was hers!!!!! I thought it was mine, then I seen it was definatly mine when she opened it up. I mean,come on. Dh thought I was bonkers till I explained!
Folk can be stupid!

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Im sorry, that really sucks, what an end to your crusie.
At another airport, I watched someone take my bag off the carousel !!! My hubby thought I had lost the plot cause I took off after a random person, rather than look at the label, she actually started going through it to see if it was hers!!!!! I thought it was mine, then I seen it was definatly mine when she opened it up. I mean,come on. Dh thought I was bonkers till I explained!
Folk can be stupid!

Maybe the woman went through your suitcase to see if there were any valuables in it!

orlandothebeagle
02-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Maybe the woman went through your suitcase to see if there were any valuables in it!

She got the shock of her life when I went running at her, I still cant get over it.

tngal
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Were you by any chance on the Dec. 6 -10 Wonder?

Close...we were on the Dec 3-6 3 night cruise ;)

3minnie's1mickey
02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=3minnie's1mickey;35410475]THEY COULD CARE LESS!!!

QUOTE]

Wow - sounds unfortunate for your entire traveling party:eek:
Who did you try to contact?

Yeah luckily the people we were traveling with are super cool and understanding:)

stitch'sgirl
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=stitch'sgirl;35412703]

Yeah luckily the people we were traveling with are super cool and understanding:)

Oh so sorry - the emoticon was supposed to be a sad face, instead it is a bunch of people dancing! I hope your group wasn't dancing around and partying while you were trying to find your luggage!

The only way to get over this is to....go again!! okay, with that happy thought I will give you the dancing people! party:

3minnie's1mickey
02-13-2010, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=3minnie's1mickey;35419093]

Oh so sorry - the emoticon was supposed to be a sad face, instead it is a bunch of people dancing! I hope your group wasn't dancing around and partying while you were trying to find your luggage!

The only way to get over this is to....go again!! okay, with that happy thought I will give you the dancing people! party:

I do have to admit when I woke up this morning I was thinking about bloody mary's again but if I went again I would NOT put my luggage out the night before!!!!

IndyDisneyFan
02-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I always buy luggage with huge ugly flowers on it so that no one else would want mine! :rotfl: Our last cruise my son forgot to tag his bag. We found it behind the counter with other luggage that wasn't tagged. Everyone was nice and helpful. Sorry not everyone is "Disney friendly".

Laura

Lisa46xx
02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Just chiming in to add that my husband had his bag taken by another passenger on the morning we were disembarking the ship (1/30/10). The gentleman in the baggage area was very responsive, helped him look for the bag for a long time, took down his info (did not make us wait), and told us that it would be overnighted to us as soon as it was found. Sure enough, DCL called us the next day to let us know it had been located, and we received it the following day. We were very pleased with their handling of the problem.

Disneyholic
02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
At the end of our November 28, 2009 Magic Cruise when we went to get our luggage I pointed out our pieces to the porter and when I looked at the cart I saw a bag that wasn't ours. I had him take that one off and then went looking and found the one he had missed. Not all of our 4 pieces were together like they were when we got off the Wonder in 2008. Apparently the porters weren't as diligent on our second cruise as they were on our first.

I too, do not like putting our luggage outside our room, so what we do is stick around until we see our room attendant is out in the hall with the cart collecting the luggage. After it is on the cart I feel a little better about either going out or going to bed.

blkim
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM
DCL's taking the luggage from outside your cabin the last night to the terminal the next morning is a service they offer. You do not have to put your bags out, but if you don't YOU will be handling them the next morning. Unfortunately, when you leave your cabin for breakfast the last morning, you are supposed to be out of the room with all your stuff (so the hosts can start cleaning the rooms for the next guests). Thus, you have to take all your luggage to breakfast.

Luggage piled outside the restaurant is just as likely to be taken (accidentally or intentionally) as luggage left outside your cabin the night before. Luggage taken into the dining room with you makes a gigantic obstacle course for the servers.

We had first seating dinner so we had the early debarkation day breakfast. We had breakfast at 7am and left the luggage in the room. We were back there by 745, took the luggage and left the ship. We did see a lot of bags piled up at the entrance to Tritons, and I thought "thats wierd, who brings their stuff" I guess I just didnt realize you should bring it, we were told we had to be out of the cabin by 8am, and we were.

Disneyholic
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
We had first seating dinner so we had the early debarkation day breakfast. We had breakfast at 7am and left the luggage in the room. We were back there by 745, took the luggage and left the ship. We did see a lot of bags piled up at the entrance to Tritons, and I thought "thats wierd, who brings their stuff" I guess I just didnt realize you should bring it, we were told we had to be out of the cabin by 8am, and we were.

:goodvibesI take my carry-on case into the dining room with us and keep it by the table. I take stuff in my carry-on with me because I want what is in it with me, so why in heavens name would I leave it in the hall while I eat?:confused3 That never made sense to me. :goodvibes

If someone told me I had to leave it in the hall I would be very upset. No way would I leave the carry-on, with all my important stuff, sitting in the hallway where anyone could walk away with it. Never did have that problem though. I have a small rolling carry-on & a large purse. DH has a small rolling carry-on and a computer bag.

disneylove69
02-14-2010, 01:20 AM
On another cruise line I had all my bags but one. We had a 10 hour drive home so I was not happy. Turns out the person sorting bags was color blind and put my bag in another area.

disneycruising
02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
We have had this happen to us a few times. We have 6 people so we always have alot of luggage.

* A couple of times, we have had a piece of our luggage ended up in the wrong area. I think people take it by mistake and just leave it when they realized it is the wrong bag.

* On another trip we couldn't find 2 of our 6 suitcase. We had to wait for all the people to claim their luggage, to make sure there was no extra bags. We then filled out a missing luggage report. Disney told us; if it turned up they would try to get it on our flight. We left for the airport thinking we wouldn't get them back. My DH and I even talk about what was in the suitcase that were missing... trying to remember is it was anything important? When we got off our flight at home (in CA) & went to claim our luggage... ALL our bags were there. We were completely shocked.

On our last few trips, I have put matching (big) bows on the handles of ALL our bags. This way it was easy for us to spot them. Plus, I was also able to tell the porter...6 black suitcases with big blue bows.

atinkerbellmom
02-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I feel sooo sad for you.... It is not a nice way to end your vacation and to hear that DCL did not have a :hug: for you is sad. Sometimes one does not look for a solution but just to feel as if someone heard them. I think that is where they missed the boat....

I think that the luggage claim thing can go a lot easier if they just added a bit more technology into the claim. The cases are already tagged. I do not think people take luggage on purpose, but by a true mistake. So if the luggage was bar coded where you had to scan the piece and make sure it matched your bar code, the mistakes would not happen. I think people especially first time cruisers are so overwhelmed at the process that they are just trying to get through it. As a result they pick up the wrong bags by mistake.

I tell you.... We DO purchase insurance and even though we do.... If OUR bags were missing we would be in BIG TROUBLE. Due to our size, we have a hard time locating clothes and shoes local, so I know we will not find them on a vacation spot. We can not even rent tuxes on the ship. We have to preorder our own ahead of time and bring them with us. We have to order DH's shoes because very few people have his size. I am going to run into the same problem with my 6th grader. Already in a Men's 13, in a year or two we will not just find him shoes either... So lost luggage is a BIG deal.... So it helps when people act like they care!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrincessTrisha
02-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry to the OP for the loss of your luggage - it's crappy when you still have some vacationing left to do.

As a hint for others who maybe are a little concerned but are still putting their luggage outside of their room (or really any situation where there is a possibility that all of your luggage won't make it to you) - if you are travelling with more than one person - don't pack the suitcases per person - put half of each person's clothes and such in one and half in the other (and not like - all shirts in one and all pants in the other but for a 6 day trip, 3 outfits in one and 3 outfits in the other).

I learned this the hard way travelling home just before Christmas - I made it home on time but my luggage didn't - it showed up a few days after Christmas. Had I been thinking I would have packed things differently for the trip home. I had my phone and ipod in my carry on bag but my chargers for them in my checked luggage. I had bought a few stocking stuffers and put them in my checked luggage. But I arrived home with my bathing suit (I packed it in my carry on at the beginning of the trip) and a couple of finished novels and my all of my Disney papers which got tossed into my carry on.

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2010, 09:03 AM
When my bag got taken, it was a little black ordinary case, Normally on longer trips I have a hard canary yellow case with scotland stickers over it, nobody could take that by accident, I think thats the answer really, make it obvious its yours, when my case goes around, folks laugh at it and say"do you think shes from scotland":lmao:

atinkerbellmom
02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
:goodvibesI take my carry-on case into the dining room with us and keep it by the table. I take stuff in my carry-on with me because I want what is in it with me, so why in heavens name would I leave it in the hall while I eat?:confused3 That never made sense to me. :goodvibes

If someone told me I had to leave it in the hall I would be very upset. No way would I leave the carry-on, with all my important stuff, sitting in the hallway where anyone could walk away with it. Never did have that problem though. I have a small rolling carry-on & a large purse. DH has a small rolling carry-on and a computer bag.

They do ask that you leave any luggage outside of the door. Now we have our carry ons with us as well at breakfast, but they are small bags that we just place under the table at breakfast. The kids just have back packs. If people were bringing ALL of their luggage to breakfast, this IS an issue. There would be no place for it at breakfast but outside the door. Have any of you tried to manipulate the hallway when all of the luggage is out in the hall. It is crazy.... So I can not imagine all of th eluggage being outside the door as you are trying to get in and out of breakfast. So the small carry on's that can be placed under the table at breakfast are fine, but an entire families luggage for the week can not fit.:headache:

insureman
02-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Joe

I have to disagree on this one. A couple of years ago we were at the stayed at the Polynesian a couple of days before our cruise. All of our bags were delivered via magical express except for my youngest daughter's bag. Disney could not have been more accommodating. They called to locate the bag and added a $50.00 credit to our room in case my daughter had to get something in the meantime. The lost bag was actually caused by the airline when a baggage handler ripped off a the handle that had the luggage tag on it. We got it the next day. This past December we added an extra day after our cruise to see WDW decorated for the holidays and watch the Christmas fireworks in Magic Kingdom. We decided to go to the Grand Floridian to see the Ginger Bread house, as we were leaving and on the monorail the doors closed and didn't move for 20 minutes. For some reason the operator would not let people out and some were starting to freak.We finally got off and we were told we would have to take the water launch . We did this and so did everybody else as the wait was well over an hour. Well we missed the fireworks so I wrote to Disney complain about this. Last week they sent us 4 one day park hopper passes good until 2030. Above and beyond as far as I'm concerned!

stitch'sgirl
02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=stitch'sgirl;35419124]

I do have to admit when I woke up this morning I was thinking about bloody mary's again but if I went again I would NOT put my luggage out the night before!!!!

Mmm...bloody marys...
Yes, I like the idea of skipping the dining room breakfast, and keeping the luggage ourselves. Have buffet early, go back to the room, grab the luggage, off the ship. Perfect plan for us procrastinators. I hate having the luggage in the hall at 11:00 pm when so much else is going on. I thought it was a mandatory requirement.

Are we in?:cheer2:

TinksDH
02-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I have to disagree on this one. A couple of years ago we were at the stayed at the Polynesian a couple of days before our cruise. All of our bags were delivered via magical express except for my youngest daughter's bag. Disney could not have been more accommodating. They called to locate the bag and added a $50.00 credit to our room in case my daughter had to get something in the meantime. The lost bag was actually caused by the airline when a baggage handler ripped off a the handle that had the luggage tag on it. We got it the next day. This past December we added an extra day after our cruise to see WDW decorated for the holidays and watch the Christmas fireworks in Magic Kingdom. We decided to go to the Grand Floridian to see the Ginger Bread house, as we were leaving and on the monorail the doors closed and didn't move for 20 minutes. For some reason the operator would not let people out and some were starting to freak.We finally got off and we were told we would have to take the water launch . We did this and so did everybody else as the wait was well over an hour. Well we missed the fireworks so I wrote to Disney complain about this. Last week they sent us 4 one day park hopper passes good until 2030. Above and beyond as far as I'm concerned!

One's success in getting an issue resolved to their satisfaction usually has something to do with how they approach the CM or customer service agent when lodging a complaint. I have witnessed many an obnoxious guest/patron/passenger lay into a CM/customer service agent - belittling them, making threats, issuing ultimatums, etc - when faced with the same situation that I was currently facing as well (canceled flight, delayed dining reservation, ride shutting down, etc.). Rarely does it result in them getting a resolution any faster, or more to their satisfaction, than the guests who explain their predicament in a respectful and calm way. And typically, the ones who are more respectful and calmer usually get a faster and "more equitable" resolution. :thumbsup2

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
One's success in getting an issue resolved to their satisfaction usually has something to do with how they approach the CM or customer service agent when lodging a complaint. I have witnessed many an obnoxious guest/patron/passenger lay into a CM/customer service agent - belittling them, making threats, issuing ultimatums, etc - when faced with the same situation that I was currently facing as well (canceled flight, delayed dining reservation, ride shutting down, etc.). Rarely does it result in them getting a resolution any faster, or more to their satisfaction, than the guests who explain their predicament in a respectful and calm way. And typically, the ones who are more respectful and calmer usually get a faster and "more equitable" resolution. :thumbsup2

I have to agree, We all know how helpfull or unhelpfull we can be when it comes to clients who are either nice or horrible to us.;)

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Although Im not saying the op was horrible, this is in general Im talking about.

insureman
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Rarely does it result in them getting a resolution any faster, or more to their satisfaction, than the guests who explain their predicament in a respectful and calm way. And typically, the ones who are more respectful and calmer usually get a faster and "more equitable" resolution. :thumbsup2

Exactly! As my mother told us "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

TinksDH
02-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Although Im not saying the op was horrible, this is in general Im talking about.

And just for the record, before I get flamed, I was NOT referring to the OP or anyone else in this thread either; just making a generalization. :)

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
And just for the record, before I get flamed, I was NOT referring to the OP or anyone else in this thread either; just making a generalization. :)

Its ok, I knew that.

TinksDH
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Its ok, I knew that.

It's not you I'm worried about! ;)

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
TINKS DH

:cool1:I just noticed your from Kansas, :woohoo:we loved Kansas City when we visited.

truck1
02-14-2010, 10:39 AM
On our last few trips, I have put matching (big) bows on the handles of ALL our bags. This way it was easy for us to spot them. Plus, I was also able to tell the porter...6 black suitcases with big blue bows.

Ive had bags turn up in different places in the luggage room before, and also had picked up bags of someone elses by mistake.Took me a second to realize it wasnt mine.

Hers a few other tricks that I have learned from both experience and also from working at JFK airport in air cargo.

Besides marking my bags with some type of what I hope is a unique identifier, I also put Bag 1 of however many (1 of 6 for example)on the tag , so I know what bag is missing. You can do the same thing coming to the port or where ever with either duct tape, or those small key tags or anything that you may find.The next one would be 2 of, and so on.Also, I take small zip ties, and zip tie each zipper closed.I put extra in my carry on for the return trip. Keeps the honest people honest, and many times, Ive seen someones bag on the ramp accidently open for one reason or another, and belongings end up all over.If for what ever reason TSA decides they want to look, its easy to pop them with a key or scissors, or what ever they have handy.

Another thing, is to take extra luggage tags with a total number of bags printed on them,so I can match up the tags. I have a habit of forgetting which char. I am.

This is probably the most important.
In EACH bag that you check the night before,or on your way to ANY vacation, in MULTIPLE places, inside and out, place a sheet of paper with your name, address, telephone number,(preferably more than 1 number) and itinerary.This way on the off chance it does get "lost" and it does get found, someone can id the bag, and get it back to you.