PDA

View Full Version : Just when I was so excited about our Baltic Cruise....

Mom2PrincessesLinSy
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I looked at the prices for the excursions. I was just trying to get comfortable with the price of the cruise and the airfare for 4 of us to the Baltic. Then I saw the price of the Princess Ball at the Palace in St Petersburg (excursion of a lifetime, for a Mom with 2 little girls!) and then the trip in Germany to see the Disney Dream being built. :scared1: OMG!

I have saved for years to go on a Baltic cruise (before we even knew Disney would do the cruise). We planned on it for our 10 year anniversary. We made the trip for this summer so we could go on the Disney Baltic. (our anniversary was last year, but celebrating it this year)

I don't think I can gather together another $4000 (figuring all low cost excursions except for the Princess ball) for excursions, after putting together $18000 for the cruise, airfare, hotel, transfers, and tips. And if we were to do the trip to see the Dream being built, it would cost us as much as the cruise just for that excursion alone!

I know, wah wah. I just have dreamed and tried to save for this trip of a lifetime for years. I am soooooooo disappointed right now. I am going to look for something to switch too. I don't want to lose the onboard discount and OBC we got on this cruise.

ontariomonkey
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Don't cancel the whole trip just because you can't go to the princess's ball! Don't tell your kids about it and they won't even know what they've missed. Find something different to do. The trip can still be amazing.

OR, do the cruise on another cruiseline and get more value for money, but of course you will lose your OBC and discounts but I bet you would still come out ahead.

disfaninca
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
How much is the Princess Ball and the trip to see the Dream?

CarolAnnC
02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
How much is the Princess Ball and the trip to see the Dream?

The Princess Ball is $400 per person. Not sure about the Dream trip, but it is hundreds of dollars each as well.

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
You don't need to do DCL's overpriced excursions to enjoy seeing the Baltic ports. You can easily see most on your own using a good guidebook (I recommend Rick Steves' Scandinavia) - except in St. Petersburg and possibly Berlin.

Can you move to a less expensive cabin to save money? Have you already purchased your airfare?

We did a Baltic cruise on Jewel of the Seas in 2005, and that ship still does Baltic cruises in the summer: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do;jsessionid=0000AuYo096oMe6 xrEmgNVrVWBQ:12hbiocak?qvsHome=yes&cS=QVS&date=ANY&dest=EUROP&ship=JW&port=LGW&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&cruiseTourOnly=false&state=&btn_findcruises.x=42&btn_findcruises.y=3

Mom2PrincessesLinSy
02-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks Nancy, for the suggestion. I'll look, but I don't think the excursions will be worth it on another line for the girls.

The Trip to see the Dream, which includes a flight on a 7 passenger plane out to the ship yard is........

hundreds isn't even close........

nope, higher!!

$2900 PER PERSON!!!!!:scared1:

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks Nancy, for the suggestion. I'll look, but I don't think the excursions will be worth it on another line for the girls.

The Trip to see the Dream, which includes a flight on a 7 passenger plane out to the ship yard is........

hundreds isn't even close........

nope, higher!!

$2900 PER PERSON!!!!!:scared1:

Capitalism at its finest! What was it PT Barnum said? :lmao:

How old are your daughters, and what excursions are so important on DCL that you are paying double to cruise with them? When you said you were looking for something to switch to, do you mean you would rather not do a Baltic cruise at all than to go on a less expensive ship? :confused3

Davids-Coco
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I swear I read 3,900! Either way, spendy spendy!

NancyIL
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I swear I read 3,900! Either way, spendy spendy!

Either way, some sucker will pay it!

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 04:18 AM
These limited 4 cruises were always going to be expensive, thats to book, and also for shore trips.

This is why DCL like going to Europe, the Med and Baltic, as the shore trips are expensive, there is a high take up on booking these and they get a good stream of commission from sales.

12.% of a expensive Baltic trip is a good earner.

Going to see the DREAM would always be an elite trip and expensive, I didn't even enquire about it, but a few dissers have PM'd me and asked if I was booking it.

I have seen people post they have booked it, and if you have the spare funds and want to see it, its a nice day, and an expensive trip report everyone will read..

I have booked a private tour of Berlin with DCL that day, thats more worthwhile seeing the history.

Princess ball is part of a trip of a lifetime, yes expensive, like most things on DCL, bit the kids would enjoy.

cindy18
02-13-2010, 04:55 AM
To the OP, please reconsider on not going on the Baltic. It's going to be an amazing 12 nights, and a trip of a lifetime for your family. We were also a little stunned about the prices, but we realized that with the exception of Berlin (if you want to go) and St Pete, we could do EVERYTHING ON OUR OWN and not pay for the excursions. The other cities are really approachable and accessible, regardless of the age of your kids. I agree that it would be incredible to go see the Dream being built, but that's not the reason to go on the Baltic. If you can find the money for the ball, then save for that (special for young daughters), but if not, explore these amazing northern European cities on your own, find the best deal (or a group deal) you can with one of the tour guides in St. Pete and put the excursions within your own budget. It's definitely doable.

Annabell
02-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Wow.... when I was looking at my Med excursions I was shocked by the price of the "Cooking at Torre a Cenaia" excursion that cost $2300 pp.
Well... I thought that must be the most expensive excursion from DCL..... how wrong I am....

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I agree the Baltic Cruise costs are adding up fast. Our Cat 4 with 4 people is $15,500 (that's w/o ground trans and w/o insurance). Add in there hotels ($600), tips ($700), airfare ($8k), excursions ($3k) and its hard to swallow. But....here some convoluted reasoning that helped me.

About the time they came out with this cruise, I was looking to get a new vehicle. I wandered into a GM dealership and my eye immediately went to a bright shiney red Corvette! OMG, it was soo cool! The list price on it was right at $50k. Gulp. But man, it would be so cool to own and drive a Corvette! My wife asked if I was having a mid-life crises....but I said "I have always wanted a Vette."

Anyway, I did not get the Corvette....instead I bought a pick-up truck for about $20k. So we 'saved' about $30k...which, coincidently, is about what our DCL Baltic cruise is gonna end up costing us!

So when you see me drive by in my $20 pick-up truck and wonder why I look so happy, it's becuase I chose the "trip of a lifetime" with the family instead of a Corvette. Some day I will get a Corvette...or maybe not. Who knows where the Dream will go? China?

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow.... when I was looking at my Med excursions I was shocked by the price of the "Cooking at Torre a Cenaia" excursion that cost $2300 pp.
Well... I thought that must be the most expensive excursion from DCL..... how wrong I am....

I agree the Baltic Cruise costs are adding up fast. Our Cat 4 with 4 people is $15,500 (that's w/o ground trans and w/o insurance). Add in there hotels ($600), tips ($700), airfare ($8k), excursions ($3k) and its hard to swallow. But....here some convoluted reasoning that helped me.

About the time they came out with this cruise, I was looking to get a new vehicle. I wandered into a GM dealership and my eye immediately went to a bright shiny red Corvette! OMG, it was soo cool! The list price on it was right at $50k. Gulp. But man, it would be so cool to own and drive a Corvette! My wife asked if I was having a mid-life crises....but I said "I have always wanted a Vette."

Anyway, I did not get the Corvette....instead I bought a pick-up truck for about $20k. So we 'saved' about $30k...which, coincidental, is about what our DCL Baltic cruise is gonna end up costing us!

So when you see me drive by in my $20 pick-up truck and wonder why I look so happy, it's because I chose the "trip of a lifetime" with the family instead of a Corvette. Some day I will get a Corvette...or maybe not. Who knows where the Dream will go? China?

I know, I keep thinking about that new car I could have had instead of this cruise.

With Berlin $2,200 thats my most expensive Shore trip so far, I have a budget of $2,500 for the other DCL shore trips, and $1,500 for St Petes, before spending money on board.

This is a trip of a lifetime, only 4 DCL Baltic cruises, no repeat in 2011, so if you miss it you miss out, (On DCL).

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 08:12 AM

About the time they came out with this cruise, I was looking to get a new vehicle. I wandered into a GM dealership and my eye immediately went to a bright shiney red Corvette! OMG, it was soo cool! The list price on it was right at $50k. Gulp. But man, it would be so cool to own and drive a Corvette! My wife asked if I was having a mid-life crises....but I said "I have always wanted a Vette."

Anyway, I did not get the Corvette....instead I bought a pick-up truck for about $20k. So we 'saved' about $30k...which, coincidently, is about what our DCL Baltic cruise is gonna end up costing us!

So when you see me drive by in my $20 pick-up truck and wonder why I look so happy, it's becuase I chose the "trip of a lifetime" with the family instead of a Corvette. Some day I will get a Corvette...or maybe not. Who knows where the Dream will go? China?

I know, I keep thinking about that new car I could have had instead of this cruise.

With Berlin $2,200 thats my most expensive Shore trip so far, I have a budget of $2,500 for the other DCL shore trips, and $1,500 for St Petes, before spending money on board.

This is a trip of a lifetime, only 4 DCL Baltic cruises, no repeat in 2011, so if you miss it you miss out, (On DCL).

My husband has the expensive car buying gene (exhibited in his younger BMW days), but apparently he never got the drop large wads of money on a trip of a lifetime one! Fortunately, I haven't been drinking the Disney Kool-Aid, either! :rotfl2:

Mom2PrincessesLinSy
02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks, guys for all your help.

I am from Scandinavia, so I have always wanted to do a Baltic cruise to go and see my ancestor's homeland. When we got married (In Disney World) :bride: we wanted to do the Baltic for our Honeymoon, but the money just wasn't there. So we said we'd go for a "big" anniversary trip.

Our 5th year Anniversary we were in the midst of fertility treatments, and then finally the birth of our second daughter, so that "big" trip was postponed again. All the while, we have been saving for that trip to the Baltic.

In 2008, we started looking at the Baltic cruises so we could plan the 10 year trip. Just when we were going to make our decision, Disney announced their plan on doing the Baltics on the Magic! OMG. It was like Karma. The trip we wanted to do on our Honeymoon, aboard the ship we were on during our honeymoon!:banana: So we decided to make our 2009 Anniversary trip in 2010 (our 11th anniversary, but close enough!)

So I sat there the day the trip opened for booking and got our reservation! I was so excited! Normally we sail in a verandah, but we settled for an outside stateroom, because that is what we could afford (I can't be in an inside cabin, too claustrophobic). We ended up re-booking the cruise on the ship in Nov 2008 for a 10% discount and OBC. Again, Karma!:hippie:

And we have continued to save money for the trip. Selling our DVC points (400 of them) to help pay, Disney Dollars from the Disney Visa Card, etc. I figured we'd be set. I knew the ports would be expensive. When I looked at the Dream excursion, I thought "Wow, that would be awesome" but I KNEW it would out of our price range so I just moved on. (didn't think it would cost the same as our entire cruise, but hey, what do I know?)

But, I started to really add up everything last night. With the cruise, flight, hotel, transfers, tips, and a VERY minimal amount of on board spending, we are already at $18,000!!

We do need a car in the next year. While I see the Corvette analogy (thanks! Love it!), ours would work in reverse. Can I spend that much for one trip when I could spend half of it, and put the rest towards the car we need?

I am going to do our taxes this weekend, and see what turns up. Maybe we'll get enough back to make up for the loss, and we can continue planning our dream cruise.

Otherwise, by March 15th I'll have to rebook something else. Looking at the Southern Carribean Holiday Cruise or a Mexican Rivieria, with Disneyland. We might also do a cruise out of Baltimore up through New England. No AIRFARE!!! :laughing:

Anwyay, thanks again everyone. Any other suggestions on keeping costs down and making this trip would be appreciated!!

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
My husband has the expensive car buying gene (exhibited in his younger BMW days), but apparently he never got the drop large wads of money on a trip of a lifetime one! Fortunately, I haven't been drinking the Disney Kool-Aid, either! :rotfl2:

So have you been drinking your husband's BMW Kool-aid? :-) There is no right or wrong here Nancy....and there is no Kool-aid either! I've traveled all over the world....I am not stupid and I'm not naive.

You wrote earlier in this thread that some 'sucker' would pay for the exclusive Dream tour. Maybe those people aren't suckers....maybe they just have more money than we do?

~Mike

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Mom2PrincessesLinSy, I think we all go thru phases in our lives where we have more (or less) disposable income. Newlyweds are usually trying to buy a house and cars and pay off student loans and then they have children...and then maybe need a bigger house etc. So maybe the timing was just not quite rigth for y'all?

You want to see the land of your heritage and that is very cool! A few years ago I fell in love....with the food on the Norweigan buffet at EPCOT! From that we decided to take a vacation in Norway! We flew to Oslo, got a rental car and spent a couple of weeks driving around Noway and Swedan. Very cool trip and much, much cheaper than a cruise.

~Mike

TinksDH
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
You wrote earlier in this thread that some 'sucker' would pay for the exclusive Dream tour. Maybe those people aren't suckers....maybe they just have more money than we do?

~Mike

To a lot of folks in the world, we (cruisers) must look like suckers as well! We spend more on a cruise than they spend in a year.

I used to shake my head towards folks who buy $100,000 luxury cars, own a piece of a Gulfstream, own 4 and 5 multi-million dollar homes, etc. You know - CEO's, dot.com execs, investment bankers, etc. But when you compare their salary to mine, and that it may easily be 10X - 20X what I make, the cost of their "toys" will easily be 10X - 20X more than what mine cost. They look to me like I look to the other 80% of the world - spending excessively on things that don't matter. So, to each his own on what they buy. Hopefully their charitable giving also increases proportionately as well!

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 09:19 AM
So have you been drinking your husband's BMW Kool-aid? :-) There is no right or wrong here Nancy....and there is no Kool-aid either! I've traveled all over the world....I am not stupid and I'm not naive.

~Mike

In 1985 we sold hubby's 2nd BMW and bought a Chevy Citation! :rotfl2:

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
To a lot of folks in the world, we (cruisers) must look like suckers as well! We spend more on a cruise than they spend in a year.

I used to shake my head towards folks who buy $100,000 luxury cars, own a piece of a Gulfstream, own 4 and 5 multi-million dollar homes, etc. You know - CEO's, dot.com execs, investment bankers, etc. But when you compare their salary to mine, and that it may easily be 10X - 20X what I make, the cost of their "toys" will easily be 10X - 20X more than what mine cost. They look to me like I look to the other 80% of the world - spending excessively on things that don't matter. So, to each his own on what they buy. Hopefully their charitable giving also increases proportionately as well!

Well said!!

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
You want to see the land of your heritage and that is very cool! A few years ago I fell in love....with the food on the Norweigan buffet at EPCOT! From that we decided to take a vacation in Norway! We flew to Oslo, got a rental car and spent a couple of weeks driving around Noway and Swedan. Very cool trip and much, much cheaper than a cruise.

~Mike

I'm going on a British Isles cruise with my two daughters this summer, and I've done everything I can to keep our 20-day trip at or below $10K. I would also like to stay on the ship (solo) and do the following 12-night Norway cruise, which would cost an additional $3K if I'm careful with excursions. Just think - one person's DCL excursion out of Warnemunde would pay for my cruise + tips! I'll see if the trip of a lifetime excuse works on my husband. Or maybe Ill show him this thread and he'll realize my trips are a bargain!

abdmom
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm going on a Med cruise on the Magic in May. I always knew that excursions were going to be expensive. Originally I was going to cruise on a different line. When Disney brought out its kids sail free deals, I looked back and forth to try and decide between the two lines. It was actually Disney's shore excursions that made me decide to go with DCL.

On the other cruise line, the shore excursions were not very exciting, and cost on average about $230 pp. This was just for an average excursion. Disney at least has choices. Some excursions can be as low as about $70 pp. Certainly, there was one the kids were interested in that was going to be $2.5K.;)

All in all, we'll be spending about $3K for shore excursions for 4 people. That's with two private tours with driver and guides. I also know that there will be other expenses - things like the spa, souvenirs, video arcade, meals off ship, bingo.

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm going on a British Isles cruise with my two daughters this summer, and I've done everything I can to keep our 20-day trip at or below $10K. I would also like to stay on the ship (solo) and do the following 12-night Norway cruise, which would cost an additional $3K if I'm careful with excursions. Just think - one person's DCL excursion out of Warnemunde would pay for my cruise + tips! I'll see if the trip of a lifetime excuse works on my husband. Or maybe Ill show him this thread and he'll realize my trips are a bargain!

There are about 1 billion Chinese people who could live for 20 years off what you are spending on a 20 day cruise.

BTW, I think the Germany excursions are way out of line since 1/2 of the time will be sitting on a bus or train to/from Berlin. We're are DIY in every port except St Pete...but we like the challange and adventure of DIY.

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Otherwise, by March 15th I'll have to rebook something else. Looking at the Southern Carribean Holiday Cruise or a Mexican Rivieria, with Disneyland. We might also do a cruise out of Baltimore up through New England. No AIRFARE!!! :laughing:

Anwyay, thanks again everyone. Any other suggestions on keeping costs down and making this trip would be appreciated!!

I would hate to see anyone give up their dream of going on a Baltic cruise just because DCL costs so much. To substitute a Disney Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruise instead of a Baltic cruise on another cruise line is nowhere near an equal exchange. Your daughters will not be scarred for life if they can't go to the Princess Ball at Catherine's Palace. The ports aren't any different when visited on a non-Disney ship - plus other cruise lines spend more time in St. Petersburg. Either cut back on the Magic's Baltic cruise some how, or choose a different cruise line, but DON'T give up the Baltic!

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 10:00 AM
There are about 1 billion Chinese people who could live for 20 years off what you are spending on a 20 day cruise.

BTW, I think the Germany excursions are way out of line since 1/2 of the time will be sitting on a bus or train to/from Berlin. We're are DIY in every port except St Pete...but we like the challange and adventure of DIY.

I imagine the Haitians could live for quite awhile, as well!

It's a 12-night cruise, with 3 nights each spent in Paris and London pre-cruise. I'll gladly take three $10K trips to one $30K one.

Going to Berlin for a day is like going to Paris for the day from Le Havre: you spend half the time in transit. But since so many people are on the trip of a lifetime - I guess they have to see Berlin now or never.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I would hate to see anyone give up their dream of going on a Baltic cruise just because DCL costs so much. To substitute a Disney Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruise instead of a Baltic cruise on another cruise line is nowhere near an equal exchange. Your daughters will not be scarred for life if they can't go to the Princess Ball at Catherine's Palace. The ports aren't any different when visited on a non-Disney ship - plus other cruise lines spend more time in St. Petersburg. Either cut back on the Magic's Baltic cruise some how, or choose a different cruise line, but DON'T give up the Baltic!

Yes, I agree, we are looking at 12 nights here, that's 3x4 night cruises, 4 x 3 night cruises,. or a 7 night and a 5 night, so needs to be put in context. Next the Carribean, is easy to go DIY, and hasn't so many places of interest.

The Carribean is the place to go for a nice relaxing cruise with hot sun and beaches, the Baltic is a completely different cruise, historical past, fantastic scenery, dramatic coast lines, Palaces, Tzars, different cultures.

Its always going to be expensive as there is always one or two must do's in each port.

I went in eyes open knowing I would have to throw quite a bit of money at it, as an alternative, in Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallin and Stockholm, you can cut costs and do it yourself you are close to everything, and even can go out am, get back for lunch on ship to save costs and go back out again pm.

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I imagine the Haitians could live for quite awhile, as well!

It's a 12-night cruise, with 3 nights each spent in Paris and London pre-cruise. I'll gladly take three $10K trips to one $30K one.

Going to Berlin for a day is like going to Paris for the day from Le Havre: you spend half the time in transit. But since so many people are on the trip of a lifetime - I guess they have to see Berlin now or never.

And there are many people who would rather take 10 $3k trips than 3 $10k trips. Personally, I'd like to take 10 $30k trips...but don't have the vacation time or the money. :-)

I have to admit the 'trip of a lifetime' thing is a cliche. We said the same thing when we went to China...and we said the same thing when we sailed on the DCL Med cruise...and we said the same thing when we cruised Hawaii...and the same thing in Alaska...and Norway...and Scotland....etc.

I agree you can't very well experience Paris in a day. Our original plans were gonna be to fly into London and back out of Paris and spend a day or two in Paris. We decided to save Paris for a different 'trip of a lifetime'.

~Mike

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I went in eyes open knowing I would have to throw quite a bit of money at it, as an alternative, in Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallin and Stockholm, you can cut costs and do it yourself you are close to everything, and even can go out am, get back for lunch on ship to save costs and go back out again pm.

DCL has already sucked an excessive amount of money from its passengers just to board the ship! If I had to choose, I'd rather "throw quite a bit of money" at the excursions than on my cruise ship and/or cabin.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 10:30 AM
DCL has already sucked an excessive amount of money from its passengers just to board the ship! If I had to choose, I'd rather "throw quite a bit of money" at the excursions than on my cruise ship and/or cabin.

Done both, Cat 3 12 nights is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and shore trips, Berlin $2.2k, Other DCL, $2.5K, and Private two days in StP, circa $1.5k.

There are only these four cruises, and I bet even with these prices, there will be a last minute scramble to get on, as no repeat in 2011.

Now, in context however my Flights to/from UK to USA are gone, saving at least 5k, if I had upgraded as usual, thats 8k saved.

aurorafan65
02-13-2010, 10:32 AM
We booked this cruise with the 10% discount (got my OBC from Dreams unlimited too) when we cruised last April - even then I wasn't too sure about doing it. Ever since then I've had buyers remorse - dh laughs at me because I'm always worried about $. I looked at other cruise lines & saw we could go cheaper, but dh pointed out the quality is going to be what you pay for - he LOVES the DCL ships. Anyway, my job is basically paying for the trip. I too freaked out a little when I saw the shore excursions, but there really are a fair amount that are reasonable - a lot of the city walking tours are pretty good. Then after reading the boards I thought about years ago when dh & I went to Europe & did everything ourselves from travel books (pre-internet days) & we did fine. So I think other than St Pete we will be on our own. I love to get a feel of local culture.

As a side note, my dh's job is kind of shaky right now & I thought we should cancel, but we're not going to because this really is a chance of a lifetime. I have a friend who beat cancer & since her scare she's done all kinds of things, a couple weeks ago she was in Egypt. She's in the LIVE LIVE LIVE mode & I think about how the kids are growing & we need to take advantage of this time we have.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 10:36 AM
We booked this cruise with the 10% discount (got my OBC from Dreams unlimited too) when we cruised last April - even then I wasn't too sure about doing it. Ever since then I've had buyers remorse - dh laughs at me because I'm always worried about $. I looked at other cruise lines & saw we could go cheaper, but dh pointed out the quality is going to be what you pay for - he LOVES the DCL ships. Anyway, my job is basically paying for the trip. I too freaked out a little when I saw the shore excursions, but there really are a fair amount that are reasonable - a lot of the city walking tours are pretty good. Then after reading the boards I thought about years ago when dh & I went to Europe & did everything ourselves from travel books (pre-internet days) & we did fine. So I think other than St Pete we will be on our own. I love to get a feel of local culture.

As a side note, my dh's job is kind of shaky right now & I thought we should cancel, but we're not going to because this really is a chance of a lifetime. I have a friend who beat cancer & since her scare she's done all kinds of things, a couple weeks ago she was in Egypt. She's in the LIVE LIVE LIVE mode & I think about how the kids are growing & we need to take advantage of this time we have.

Yes, there are cheaper versions of trips there a lot of the walking ones are good value, and you can do a lot by yourself.

I agree, on the motto, live live live, we are all just passing through, hopefully we all will have good luck, but you do not want regrets in the future.

Life throws the odd bad card up, and therefore enjoy it as much as you can.

However not an excuse for DCL it is expensive, you can do it on other lines.

aurorafan65
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree you can't very well experience Paris in a day. Our original plans were gonna be to fly into London and back out of Paris and spend a day or two in Paris. We decided to save Paris for a different 'trip of a lifetime'.

~Mike

Hey Mike - totally agree with everything you said!

Also we have 3 days pre-cruise & thought about taking the chunnel to Paris, but then realized it was way toooooo much to try & accomplish. So we're saving it too. Although first we want Alaska, Italy, Hawaii, Japan ......:rotfl2:
we have a big list on our bulletin board in the kitchen listing all the places we want to visit. The baltic trip will get a few of them off!

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
And there are many people who would rather take 10 $3k trips than 3 $10k trips. Personally, I'd like to take 10 $30k trips...but don't have the vacation time or the money. :-)

I have to admit the 'trip of a lifetime' thing is a cliche. We said the same thing when we went to China...and we said the same thing when we sailed on the DCL Med cruise...and we said the same thing when we cruised Hawaii...and the same thing in Alaska...and Norway...and Scotland....etc.

~Mike
I would be perfectly happy with ten $3K trips, and I have a few of those planned in the next 12 months. I have never taken a $10K trip - so this will be my first!

Saying something is the trip of a lifetime is usually an excuse to justify spending a lot of money on a trip.

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM

I can certainly see how people can and do feel this way about the ship. But you can say that about any resort/hotel/restaurant that is in high demand.

You can stay at nice hotel in Kissimmee for about $49 a night. Or you can stay at the Pop Century for $89. Or you can stay at the Grand Floridian for $500+ a night.

carolmb
02-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Cruisin the Baltic has always been a trip that DH has wanted to do and when DCL offered this trip he jumped on it. This will be our 4th Disney cruise and our kids are very comfortable on the ships. I even mentioned that we could do the cruise less expensive on another cruise line but he said he would rather pay a little more because he really likes how much Disney is family oriented. We are being very creative with this trip by using frequent flyer miles and our Hilton points for our stay in London. We also used our DVC points. The only tours we are paying for is the private tours in St.P and Berlin everything else will be DIY. I am looking forward to the adventure.:woohoo: Well that is my 2 cents. Happy planning everyone!

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I would be perfectly happy with ten $3K trips, and I have a few of those planned in the next 12 months. I have never taken a $10K trip - so this will be my first!

Saying something is the trip of a lifetime is usually an excuse to justify spending a lot of money on a trip.

You are right, 'trip of a lifetime' is an excuse to justify spending money. But then again, if next year you get diagnosed with a terminal disease, maybe it would be the last trip you ever took??

My kids will be 19 and 17 on this trip and the era of Grand Rogillio Family Vacations is coming to a close as the kids will soon be starting their own families. So yeah, we're kinda 'going for broke' (literally) on this trip.

~Mike

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
You are right, 'trip of a lifetime' is an excuse to justify spending money. But then again, if next year you get diagnosed with a terminal disease, maybe it would be the last trip you ever took??

My kids will be 19 and 17 on this trip and the era of Grand Rogillio Family Vacations is coming to a close as the kids will soon be starting their own families. So yeah, we're kinda 'going for broke' (literally) on this trip.

i~Mike

I believe in enjoying life while living it, rather than scrimping and saving for the "golden years" that might never materialize. That's why travel is a priority for me now. However, I also need the money to last until my golden years, in case I should be blessed with a long life!

Now - if I felt the DCL cruise experience was twice as good as on other cruise lines, I might be willing to justify paying twice as much for their Baltic cruise. But my DCL experience on two Wonder cruises was not superior to my non-Disney cruises, so I would not pay more for a DCL Baltic cruise. I DO think DCL's April/May 2010 Med cruises are an excellent value, and I would love to book it - were it not for the fact that I am already cruising in May and in Europe this summer.

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I believe in enjoying life while living it, rather than scrimping and saving for the "golden years" that might never materialize. That's why travel is a priority for me now. However, I also need the money to last until my golden years, in case I should be blessed with a long life!

Now - if I felt the DCL cruise experience was twice as good as on other cruise lines, I might be willing to justify paying twice as much for their Baltic cruise. But my DCL experience on two Wonder cruises was not superior to my non-Disney cruises, so I would not pay more for a DCL Baltic cruise. I DO think DCL's April/May 2010 Med cruises are an excellent value, and I would love to book it - were it not for the fact that I am already cruising in May and in Europe this summer.

This is probably the most frequent debate on the board. That is "Is DCL worth the extra money?" Trying to answer that question is like trying to put a price/value on art! We all have our opinions.

I think the reason I value DCL so much is familiarity. I feel good on the ship. I'm 47 years old but I see kids lining up to meet Mickey Mouse in the atrium and it just brings back so many memories. As a kid I lived in FL in the 70s and remember the MK being built and remember visiting the park when I was just a kid...and then as teen...and then as a college student...then as a new parent....then as an old parent... Boarding the Disney ship is like 'coming home'....it is impossibe to put a price on it.....it's like....like....Magic. ;-)

~Sappy ole sentimental Mike

NancyIL
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
This is one probably the most frequent debate on the board here. That is "Is DCL worth the extra money?" Trying to answer that question is like evaluating art! We all have our opinions.

I think the reason I value DCL so much is familiarity. I feel good on the ship. I'm 47 years old but I see kids lining up to meet Mickey Mouse in the atrium, it just brings back so many memories. As a kid I lived in FL in the 70s and remember the MK being built and remember visiting the park when I was just a kid...and then as teen...and then as a college student...then as a new parent....then as an old parent... Boarding the Disney ship is like 'coming home'....it is impossibe to put a price on it.....it's like....like....Magic. ;-)

~Sappy ole sentimental Mike

I am a tad older than you, and I loved watching The Wonderful World of Color on TV, going to Disney movies, riding It's A Small World at the NY World's Fair in 1965, then visiting Disneyland in 1966 and 1971 and WDW beginning in 1974. I have always loved all things Disney, and really wanted to cruise with the Mouse. But DCL's higher prices, even in the Caribbean, had me choosing a Royal Caribbean ship instead (Splendour of the Seas), and I loved it.

After my previous post - I took a look at the final payment date for the July 6 DCL Baltic cruise. It's due in early March, but the penalty period begins 89 days before the cruise - so that's early April. IF by some odd stroke of luck DCL were to drastically drop the price of a cat 12 after final payment, as they did for the April Transatlantic, to anywhere near what my single cabin on the Princess Norway cruise costs - I might "jump ship"! I think it's a possibility, because cat. 7-12 cabin categories are still available for that cruise.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Due to tidal issues, debarkation in Dover on July 6th (for the June 24th voyage) will not begin until 10:30am. It is recommended that your flight departure time should be no earlier than 4:00pm.

Guest ashore times and onboard times are subject to change without notice.

12-Night Northern European Capitals with Helsinki, Finland

Day Port Guest Ashore Guest Onboard
Day 1 Dover, England — 4:00 p.m.
Day 2 At Sea — —
Day 3 Oslo, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
Day 4 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Day 5 Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin) 7:15 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Day 6 At Sea — —
Day 7 St. Petersburg, Russia 12:30 p.m. —
Day 8 St. Petersburg, Russia — 11:00 p.m.
Day 9 Helsinki, Finland 9:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Day 10 Stockholm, Sweden 7:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
Day 11 At Sea — —
Day 12 At Sea — —
Day 13 Dover, England 8:00 a.m. —

12-Night Northern European Capitals with Tallinn

Day Port Guest Ashore Guest Onboard
Day 1 Dover, England — 4:00 p.m.
Day 2 At Sea — —
Day 3 Oslo, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
Day 4 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Day 5 Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin) 7:15 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Day 6 At Sea — —
Day 7 St. Petersburg, Russia 12:30 p.m. —
Day 8 St. Petersburg, Russia — 11:00 p.m.
Day 9 Tallinn, Estonia 9:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Day 10 Stockholm, Sweden 7:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
Day 11 At Sea — —
Day 12 At Sea — —
Day 13 Dover, England 8:00 a.m. —

Ah well, for the extra money, some people will stay on the Magic longer, no disembarkation on one cruise until 10.30am, so extra time for a long breakfast...

Now I posted in 2008 that Harwich would be better...........

Rogillio
02-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I am a tad older than you, and I loved watching The Wonderful World of Color on TV, going to Disney movies, riding It's A Small World at the NY World's Fair in 1965, then visiting Disneyland in 1966 and 1971 and WDW beginning in 1974. I have always loved all things Disney, and really wanted to cruise with the Mouse. But DCL's higher prices, even in the Caribbean, had me choosing a Royal Caribbean ship instead (Splendour of the Seas), and I loved it.

After my previous post - I took a look at the final payment date for the July 6 DCL Baltic cruise. It's due in early March, but the penalty period begins 89 days before the cruise - so that's early April. IF by some odd stroke of luck DCL were to drastically drop the price of a cat 12 after final payment, as they did for the April Transatlantic, to anywhere near what my single cabin on the Princess Norway cruise costs - I might "jump ship"! I think it's a possibility, because cat. 7-12 cabin categories are still available for that cruise.

I hope it works out for you!

ldo
02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
computer wigging out-wrong place to post