PDA

View Full Version : Please read if you have kids

Raven9 Studios
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I recently found this thread and agree it needs more attention so here is the link and please share your personal stories in regards to the issue in the clubs. Also if anyone does get their opinion voiced and disney responds please also post that response. thanks so much

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2275758

Olga
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I personally don't have a problem with the kids clubs. The limited amount of time we were there the counselors did very well, we stayed and watched. There was a child that was a problem, they called the parents who insisted that he remain in the club, our kid left. The way I see it they are only there for a short time if at all. Not like it's some private exclusive school where kids and parents are screened before they are admitted.

kcashner
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
DD has been in every programming level from age 7 - 18. Sometimes the experience has been great, other times just so-so. However, in no case was a sub-optimal experience the fault of the CMs with the exception of the time they decided to start "transition" early.

Given our personal experience and the fact that people tend to report bad more than good, I wouldn't hesitate to place my child in any programming age. However, I'd check on them periodically. I'm a freak--I wouldn't drop my child at age 10 with a Sunday School teacher that I didn't know! You can easily drop by the Club or Lab to see what's happening and be sure your child is comfortable.

IF you have a negative experience, report it on the ship (there is an officer responsible for the kid programming who answers to the CD who answers to the Captain!) I'd also write to DCL and address my letter to the president of the cruise line.

Raven9 Studios
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
DD has been in every programming level from age 7 - 18.
IF you have a negative experience, report it on the ship (there is an officer responsible for the kid programming who answers to the CD who answers to the Captain!) I'd also write to DCL and address my letter to the president of the cruise line.

I agree more people report/talk/etc about a negative experience over a positive experience which is why reputation is eveything. However, you can't be too careful when it comes to your children. As far as screening kids...I think Walt himself wanting his magic to be shared with all children regardless of their background or society ranking.
I do realize alot of people do the drop offs with their kids for whatever reason. My point is not to bash parents here or really the staff either. My point of drawing attention to this link is that if parents ARE TRUSTING a DISNEY STAFF or CLUB with their kids they need to be aware their expectation may not be what experience they receive.

In the cases on this link you can easily see this is usually the case for kids 5 and under and mainly in the club which everyone has agreed is overcrowded and chaotic. I am curious as a parent who witness too much on board a recent 7 day cruise is this something that needs more attention. If kids are being manhandled especially those who are younger and may not have a voice it needs to be addressed. Any parent I would think would agree.

Since the comment card has gone NO WHERE I would love to know how many people stuck around the clubs and saw the same things. I am not talking about older kids who entertain themselves but the younger ones who dont have a voice.

mammacaryn
02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I guess I would have reported any aggressive behavior or inappropriate behavior right away had I seen it, I wouldn't have just filled out an opinion card (if I overlooked that someone complained in person about this I apologize) That being said, we did a 4 day wonder last January and our kids LOVED it. My son was 5 and my daughter was 3. We never picked them up unhappy and never (NEVER) saw any other kids being mistreated or leaving un happy. We did witness tears of children not wanting to leave the club though.

I don't doubt that on occasion things go wrong....report it at the time, and hopefully those employees will no longer work in the kids room.

Raven9 Studios
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I guess I would have reported any aggressive behavior or inappropriate behavior right away had I seen it, I wouldn't have just filled out an opinion card (if I overlooked that someone complained in person about this I apologize) That being said, we did a 4 day wonder last January and our kids LOVED it. My son was 5 and my daughter was 3. We never picked them up unhappy and never (NEVER) saw any other kids being mistreated or leaving un happy. We did witness tears of children not wanting to leave the club though.

I don't doubt that on occasion things go wrong....report it at the time, and hopefully those employees will no longer work in the kids room.

that is wonderful! I see you are leaving for a trip this year? Please come back and post your responces as well. Like I said my daughter didn't want to leave she had a ton of fun but was in the lab and 9.
This was also on the Magic for my personal observations and I did address the employee who quickly changed their tone but my problem was what would I have been told had I not been there to see it? It was the grabbing of their arm and twisting it and the other member who monkey held a child and quite frankly scared the little one who started to cry. Parent was never called in that situation.

2bundles
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
My daughter was 3 when we went. She loved every second of kids club, and we didn't think it was overly crowded. The carers were wonderful and always greeted her by name (even whilst in other places onboard and CC).
No complaints here.

Some kids just do not like being away from their parents, especially in an unfamiliar environment.

PrincessDadx2
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
No complaints here. Have done 2 7 day cruises and always had great service. DD7 rules the kids club and does not want to leave. DD10 is shy and hates the sports deck. We always sit down with the staff and discuss our daughters and their needs and they have always looked out for them. We have always known some of the staff by name and they know us. Maybe we are unusual because our kids are adopted and brown and we are vanilla white, but if you show you care I think you get the same response back.

It is no different than school in most regards. It is definitely designed for the middle of the road kid, but if you have special needs and are involved and active you will get a better result. I have often had counselors spend one on one time with my shy daughter until she warms up.

Rob1559
02-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Wow that was positively negative. I have to wonder if they actually shared their concerns with DCL. Apparently she is also an expert on every aspect of childcare. How much time do you think she spent just standing their observing the children? The CM are just not selected for that position because that is all that is left to fill.
I think someone needs to lighten up.

sabrecmc
02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
When we did our 3 day in September, I stayed in the Club with my 3 year old on the occasions she was there. She really had a blast. The CMs were very nice and I just watched and took pictures during the activities. She didn't want to do the slide and pirate ship on her own, which was fine. I didn't see too much of that behavior, other than on the slide where kids were going down without waiting for the other kids to move away from the bottom. A CM did come over and correct that behavior, but since there wasn't a CM "stationed" there, it really was bound to happen again. Maybe we just had well-behaved kids on our cruise!

Personally, I was not comfortable leaving my daughter in there at 3 on her own. Not b/c of anything Disney did or did not do, but just because of my comfort level and hers (and being paranoid about her potty training at that point). Our upcoming cruise, she will be 4.5 and I will have no trouble ditching her there while I go to Palo! She's very outgoing though and has no problem involving herself or talking to others, whether children or adults. I think that, and going to the wee school at our Church a couple mornings a week, helps make the experience a bit better on her.

loveysbydesign
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I think part of the problem is that you never know when you go on the cruise if the staff is "fresh" or ready to take their leave.
On our 1st Disney cruise this past May on the Magic our head surver was going home a few weeks after our cruise. He was very distracted, rushed and huffy with us at times and we're an easy going family who doesn't ask for much. He treated us like we were a bother to him at times. My dh, kids and I agreed that we had friendlier, better service on RCCL's Sovereign in 1996!!! On the Sovereign we were made to feel specail and they went out of their way to make sure our kids were happy. On Disney it was like, ho-hum, oh well...it's just another family with kids who need their food.
Perhaps counselers in the camps get that way too when their time is almost up, as they are anxious to get off the ship and get their vacation?

misseulalie
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
In 10 cruises, we have had nothing but great experiences. We started when our girls were 3 and 5 and they did very well and had a great time.

I really think it depends on your child. If your under 5 child is at home with no day care/pre-school experience, I think they have a harder time adjusting.

My girls went to pre-school twice a week from ages 2-4 and I think that really helped with them having a good time and being away from us.

If I'm not mistaken, all the counselors have to have educational backgrounds and education and be certified in certain areas.

glnrcker
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I was on the 1/23 cruise the same as the OP of this thread. We have a 3 (almost 4) year old and this was our first DCL cruise. She has been in preschool but we did not feel good about just leaving her at OC, so either myself, my husband, or my mother were usually going back and forth to check on her. The maximum time we left her there was 1.5 hours at a time, and either just once or twice a day. Again, always peeking in on her I'd say about every 20 minutes. During all of these times, we never found it chaotic, nor did we ever see any children crying inside. We thought the staff was wonderful and always asked her afterwards if there were any situations that she wanted to talk about. I think once she said there was a boy who used the word kill and she wanted to know what that meant. I think that boy freaked her out a little, but she still said how much she enjoyed it there. I guess in every job, someone at some point will have a bad day. Of course, we hope it will not be while watching our child, but other than keeping close tabs on your own kid (especially if under the age of 5), there has to be some level of trust or communication that your child will let you know if something happens, as soon as it happens. And definitely make a big deal about it with DCL and come back here and name names and dates. Especially if force is being used (even if it's not your child). There will always be someone on this board that was on that same cruise and might corroborate. Otherwise, definitely don't use the OC or OL if you don't feel comfortable.

One last opinion on that link: that poster would have had to do nothing else but be at the OC to have studied the behavior and situations as stated.

emma'smom
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
We've left our girls in the Ocean Club (ages 7 and 4) on the Wonder and they both loved it! We had NO problems and left them for multiple activities because they wanted to do so many different things. The CM's were friendly, kind, and enthusiastic. We're headed out on a 2 week cruise in a few months on the Magic and they can't wait to see what the clubs have to offer this time! No complaints here....

scuba
02-12-2010, 11:14 PM
We were on the 2/4 sailing on the Wonder, the kids programs were by far the highlight, top knotch and far exceded any expectations. Our 4 year old had to be pulled kicking a screaming and she would run into the Oceaneers club and not look back. I found the staff to be attentive, one staff member was incredible trying to convince my 4 year old that she needs to go see the Toy Stoy musical. The flounder nursery was fantastic, handled diaper blowouts, kept track of rachels belongings......fantastic the highlight of our trip despite missing CC

MickeyMom:)
02-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I am on the Magic right now, stuck at CC....Long story.... Anyhow I had told me kids that the kids club was their choice and that they were going to be allowed to use it as little or as much as they would like....We I had to pry them away from it to spend time with us....The encounters I witnessed were endearing and sweet. Not one did I see or get any bad vibes. My kids went freely from the lab to the club. They had the friendship rocks ceremony and the way they controlled those kids to and from the theatre was impressive. My kids as well as my DH and I are fans of the kids club and Disney sold us on another cruise...

dsneygirl
02-13-2010, 08:25 AM
My daughter was 3 when we went. She loved every second of kids club, and we didn't think it was overly crowded. The carers were wonderful and always greeted her by name (even whilst in other places onboard and CC).
No complaints here.

Some kids just do not like being away from their parents, especially in an unfamiliar environment.

Ditto except I have a DS. We thought the kids club was outstanding. Every counsellor we dealt with was fantastic, professional and courteous.

The one time we were paged because DS was upset we went there and found him and another little boy sitting quietly with a counsellor in the TV corner watching cartoons.

Tinkerkell123
02-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I am on the Magic right now, stuck at CC....Long story....

So.... what's the story with that? I would like to be stuck at CC! :cool1:

TinksDH
02-13-2010, 08:37 AM
So.... what's the story with that? I would like to be stuck at CC! :cool1:

Not this way - the weather is so bad they can't move. No fun being there on the ship not knowing when you'll get out. It would be different if it were sunny and you were on the beach!:cool1:

Raven9 Studios
02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Not this way - the weather is so bad they can't move. No fun being there on the ship not knowing when you'll get out. It would be different if it were sunny and you were on the beach!:cool1:

That is horrible~!! I am sending better weather your way now lol! Seriously tho, any updates

mb1976
02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
For those of you wondering about the changes that Disney is making in their kid's club here is an article about it from cruisecritic.com.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1064

mhsjax
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
My kids HATED the clubs and they were in school, and they have no problem separating from us. We saw quite a bit of bullying and just nasty behavior.

The second time we went they darn near caused 2 of mine and 1 child of a friend of ours to have heat stroke. They had those kids up on the sports deck, playing and we were in the Bahamas docked so there was no breeze. It was really hot (August) and we are from Florida. They didnt offer the kids water and mine were literally ill, beat read and on the verge of trowing up. We complained and they admitted that yes they really should have offered water they didn't realize how hot it was for the kids running around. I for one am not impressed with their kids program, our won't be doing it again, but now they are older and if and when we do another Disney Cruise they can do what they want , within reason.

Raven9 Studios
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Well I think everyone can agree maybe alittle more experience and more counselors would be wonderful addition and help give everyone from parents to kids a great vacation.

TweedleDee/Dum
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
THANKS mb1976 for the article... I was wondering what the "new changes" would mean for my DD and DS.

Tinkerkell123
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Right after I posted that, I read in another thread about that! Not the way ANYONE wants to get stuck on CC. Glad y'all finally got back!

jessica52877
02-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I was also on the never ending cruise this past week. DS is 7 and HATED the kids club. He is fine with separating from me and makes friends easily. He had never been in the club before because he was always under 3 on his past 3 trips. So after dinner he was really excited to go up and meet some friends and play. I asked if we could look around the lab and decide which he wanted to play in, they said sure and opened the gate. Never another word. Then we walked across to the club. We didn't even have to walk in for him to announce it was way too babyish for him. And honestly it was all super young kids running around, I don't think he would have been happy.

So I took him back to the lab and said he would like to stay here. They put soap on his hands and sent him to a sink, just said left for boys and right for girls. I left because I did not feel welcome and wasn't sure if I was allowed to stay or not. Maybe this is my fault for not knowing? I thank goodness told him to just tell someone if he wanted to leave.

So about 30 minutes later I get a page he wants to leave. I go up and get him and he is standing at the front. As I am walking in a counselor asks what he is doing and he said he was ready to leave. The counselor just told him he couldn't unless a parent was here. No idea if the counselor knew that i was coming or not? No, is there something we could do in the mean time or anything. Just kind of seemed to say it in passing.

He was so happy when I got there and I asked why he wanted to leave. He was playing lego star wars and didn't know how to shoot (on the computer). He has the game for the wii so I never imagined he wouldn't know how to play. He also plays games on the computer and always just knows how. I asked him why he didn't ask a counselor for help (his fault) and he just said he didn't know he could.

I am surprised though being that it was the first night of the cruise that not one person walked by and asked if he was doing okay or anything. No one tried to engage him in any activity or anything. I thought that it was more like that, not a day care to drop off the kids. To me it felt just like a day care.

He said he would NEVER return and I was fine with that. I did ask him several more times throughout the week and told him of some of the events and he said no. I also walked up with him the next evening (super bowl) and they were doing some detective thing. He loves stuff like that so I asked the counselor what exactly the kids did. She just said the kids usually solve a mystery very short. I guess she answered the question but I would have loved to have been asked if I wanted to stick around and watch, etc. I assumed that parents were not allowed in the club at all.

My son does not care about the characters so I will be anxious to try out another cruise line since I did disney again for the kids club.

Oh, and I think that disney probably screens their kids club employees almost better then anyone on the ship.

Happy100
02-16-2010, 03:31 PM
My DS (4) went to the OC on our 8/09 cruise. He also liked it and I never observed bad behavior from other kids....not to say that doesn't happen, because we all know there is always at least one kid in the bunch and at times a helicopter parents' child in there as well.:scared1:

Anyway, we never did leave our son in there for more then a couple hours at a time and he was usually there because of some event they were doing.

My suggestion to every parent is to let you kids go be kids in there and have fun...but sit down with them (when they are old enough) and discuss with them what events in the clubs they would like to attend. Instead of just dropping them off to do whatever. My DS at 4 was and is old enough to communicate with me on what he wanted to do. :cloud9:

As to the CM's in the OC...I never encountered a sour attitude.

vicki_c
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
So about 30 minutes later I get a page he wants to leave. I go up and get him and he is standing at the front. As I am walking in a counselor asks what he is doing and he said he was ready to leave. The counselor just told him he couldn't unless a parent was here. No idea if the counselor knew that i was coming or not? No, is there something we could do in the mean time or anything. Just kind of seemed to say it in passing.

I don't understand this part of your post at all - maybe it's not a complaint? That's what they do -- they're not allowed to leave until the parent comes and they page you to do that. You come, they can leave. That's exactly what happened, so I'm kind of confused about that part.

But that's too bad he didn't enjoy it - my kids were nuts for the clubs - could not really get them to leave even when I wanted them too.

Raven9 Studios
02-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't understand this part of your post at all - maybe it's not a complaint? That's what they do -- they're not allowed to leave until the parent comes and they page you to do that. You come, they can leave. That's exactly what happened, so I'm kind of confused about that part.

But that's too bad he didn't enjoy it - my kids were nuts for the clubs - could not really get them to leave even when I wanted them too.

I think the point is the kid felt alone no interaction whatsoever. How long did her kid sit there by himself? No one wants to walk in and see their child sad in the front with no one even around or trying to engage their child. Online and on the video it shows kids and counselors interacting with the kids -laughing-etc...now can anyone honestly say they saw any of that? Maybe I too bought into the advertisement but my sons daycare is very involved and I walk in and catch him laughing and having a great time. I saw teenagers who acted like they were bored or overwhelmed in the club. In the lab at least they were nice not too engage.

I think there are daycares that engage kids better then either club did unless there was an activity going on. If you see a kid not having a good time how hard is it to walk over. I have to say in the lab my daughter played for hours on the rollercoaster game. When I came to get her she didn't want to leave and the counselor did say he would save the game for her which he did. That was the first time anyone had said anything to her the 3 hours she was in there. She had a great time because the game was fun not the lab

jessica52877
02-17-2010, 08:28 AM

What I was saying was I was surprised by what the counselor told him and that he was just standing at the front waiting. I have never picked a child up before from the kids club so maybe that is common practice to just leave them standing there all alone. I guess I figure that everyone doesn't drop what they are doing immediately and go for their child, it could be 10-20 minutes before they come. I thought they would have said, hey let's do ___ while we wait. Or do you want to play the computer while you wait (since they right at the front and all were empty).

I did not expect him to be let out or anything, just found it odd the way and place he was standing.

I guess the comment about a daycare above is kind of more how I thought it would be, as in someone interacting with the children, not just left on their own and never spoken to until he was at the door. I assumed the CM only spoke to him because he could have just walked out. No one was in front of them as they had walked away for second.

Melcatfish
02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
We found the Kids Clubs to be great on our August 7 night cruise. My eldest DD was 4 and had a wonderful time.

The thread you linked to is not one I wish to go back and visit. The OP was very dismissive of those of us who had a different opinion, even stating that based on replies to the tthread and the parents he witnessed then many parents didn't care about short comings and Disney had no incentive to change.

I thoroughly resent the implication from the OP of the other thread that he is the only one qualified to assess the quality of the child care and that those of us who were happy with it somehow don't care or have very low standards. My job involves working with children aged 2 and a half to 11 years old and having a degree in early years and primary education I am quite satsified in my own ability to judge the quality of child care available and what I witnessed on the Magic was absolutely suitable for the age groups. The counsellors we met varied from OK, to Outstanding but I never witnessed any counsellors behaving inappropriately or showing a lack of care.

On another note, in a school or daycare setting the employees have the luxury of time to develop relationships and establish the ground rules - on a 7 night cruise (or a 3 or 4 night cruise) I think it is amazing the amount that they do achieve. I challenge some of those who complain to entertain AND maintain the same level of control with a group of kids you have just met and who have vastly different backgrounds as I and others have witnessed in the clubs.

I truly am sorry that some people have had problems but to declare Major Systemic Problems in the kids programming and then dismissing any view that doesn't agree is just plain ridiculous.

Mel
x

vicki_c
02-17-2010, 09:11 AM
We found the Kids Clubs to be great on our August 7 night cruise. My eldest DD was 4 and had a wonderful time.

The thread you linked to is not one I wish to go back and visit. The OP was very dismissive of those of us who had a different opinion, even stating that based on replies to the tthread and the parents he witnessed then many parents didn't care about short comings and Disney had no incentive to change.

I thoroughly resent the implication from the OP of the other thread that he is the only one qualified to assess the quality of the child care and that those of us who were happy with it somehow don't care or have very low standards. My job involves working with children aged 2 and a half to 11 years old and having a degree in early years and primary education I am quite satsified in my own ability to judge the quality of child care available and what I witnessed on the Magic was absolutely suitable for the age groups. The counsellors we met varied from OK, to Outstanding but I never witnessed any counsellors behaving inappropriately or showing a lack of care.

On another note, in a school or daycare setting the employees have the luxury of time to develop relationships and establish the ground rules - on a 7 night cruise (or a 3 or 4 night cruise) I think it is amazing the amount that they do achieve. I challenge some of those who complain to entertain AND maintain the same level of control with a group of kids you have just met and who have vastly different backgrounds as I and others have witnessed in the clubs.

I truly am sorry that some people have had problems but to declare Major Systemic Problems in the kids programming and then dismissing any view that doesn't agree is just plain ridiculous.

Mel
x

Totally agree - I thought this thread was okay for what it was - someone pointing out a concern and others relaying their experiences (good and bad) but that other linked thread made my blood boil for the same reasons you stated.

lovethedream
02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Spent some time here and at the other thread linked to. Our family, having been on two DCL cruises, had no problems with the kids club. And for my youngest, she did not want to leave and made that very clear to us when we came to pick her up.

Otherwise, pretty much agree with what melcatfish said.

Raven9 Studios
02-17-2010, 02:06 PM
The thread you linked to is not one I wish to go back and visit.
Mel
x

I most def wanted to have an open forum on here in regards to this subject. I have read every response and was delighted to know and listen to the good stories that people have shared. I am not out personally to bash the kids club. I love disney and was concerned about what I saw as a mom regarding the ratios and when I found that link I thought there was some good points and think that when people are very passionate about a subject they can lose their point no matter how important by not listening to both sides.
I do still think the ratios are much to high for the younger kids. I do plan on booking another cruise one with disney and one with rccl to better understand both. I will this time maybe print off some of this and bring it to attention their to get their feedback as well. Disney clubs do notate everything in regards to your child while they are there in the club. anything from child wouldn't listen to something important like bitting, pushing, etc.

I again WELCOME everyone to respond and appreciate those on this thread being open to those who didn't have the greatest experiences and those who did so that we all may learn. Better ratios mean happier kids besides lol

jessica52877
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Even though our experience was not good (it wasn't horrible by any means and saw no mistreatment of the kids, etc) I will encourage my son to try it again. I encouraged him this trip, he just wasn't going for it.

owensamo
02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Even though our experience was not good (it wasn't horrible by any means and saw no mistreatment of the kids, etc) I will encourage my son to try it again. I encouraged him this trip, he just wasn't going for it.

If I understand correctly, you were on a 7-night cruise, and only spent any time in the club on the first night? If so, that may be the problem. The first night on the 7-night cruises is family night/open house - the kids are allowed to be dropped off, but there aren't any planned activities. It's a time for the families to get to know the clubs and the staff. The actual planned activities start the next day, and they are very planned, well-presented activities that are nothing like daycare (more like organized birthday parties!)

Not having experienced a club before, I can understand the confusion and unfamiliarity - but all you need to do is ask. I don't believe there's any instance where the parents aren't welcome - especially the first night! However, because it's more of an open house, the CMs may be less "on" - since they don't need to manage activities, etc - it's a lot more low-key that day, which may be why noone was really talking to your son. I have also noticed that the kids playing on the computers in the Lab tend to be left alone more - probably because they're busy and involved and can be monitored from the front desk staff. They probably figured he was good and spent more time with the families that had questions or concerns.

I hope you and your son have a better experience next time! We tend to skip the first night now since there's nothing really going on (though they do have activities on the first night on the shorter cruises). The best way to approach it might be to check recent navigators in advance of your next cruise and see what activities appeal to your son. Then, just plan to attend the first of those once you get on the ship and see how it goes. You can stay with him and if it goes better - is more what you both imagined it would be - then you can evaluate the activities over the rest of the cruise and whether to just drop him off. Hopefully next time, having a better idea of what to expect, everything will be great! :)

lovethedream
02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I most def wanted to have an open forum on here in regards to this subject. I have read every response and was delighted to know and listen to the good stories that people have shared. I am not out personally to bash the kids club. I love disney and was concerned about what I saw as a mom regarding the ratios and when I found that link I thought there was some good points and think that when people are very passionate about a subject they can lose their point no matter how important by not listening to both sides.
I do still think the ratios are much to high for the younger kids. I do plan on booking another cruise one with disney and one with rccl to better understand both. I will this time maybe print off some of this and bring it to attention their to get their feedback as well. Disney clubs do notate everything in regards to your child while they are there in the club. anything from child wouldn't listen to something important like bitting, pushing, etc.

I again WELCOME everyone to respond and appreciate those on this thread being open to those who didn't have the greatest experiences and those who did so that we all may learn. Better ratios mean happier kids besides lol

I do believe that at least part of the issue is what is important or matters to one is not always a problem or seen as a problem with another. It happens that my youngest daughter is a "if I am here, then its the place to be" kind of kid and whether there was a ratio of 1 to 100 or 1 to 1 would not make a bit of difference to her (or to us quite frankly). Now, if she were very shy and timid and had a hard time fitting in, maybe I would feel a little different about the clubs, but I would not see it as a DCL problem. At least in my mind.

If you feel there is an issue, or if anybody feels there is an issue, then I would always encourage you or them to bring it to the attention of whoever, exactly as you are planning to do. It is valuable feedback to them and how do they know there is an issue or possible problem unless they get feedback.

jessica52877
02-17-2010, 05:07 PM
If I understand correctly, you were on a 7-night cruise, and only spent any time in the club on the first night? If so, that may be the problem. The first night on the 7-night cruises is family night/open house - the kids are allowed to be dropped off, but there aren't any planned activities. It's a time for the families to get to know the clubs and the staff. The actual planned activities start the next day, and they are very planned, well-presented activities that are nothing like daycare (more like organized birthday parties!)

Not having experienced a club before, I can understand the confusion and unfamiliarity - but all you need to do is ask. I don't believe there's any instance where the parents aren't welcome - especially the first night! However, because it's more of an open house, the CMs may be less "on" - since they don't need to manage activities, etc - it's a lot more low-key that day, which may be why noone was really talking to your son. I have also noticed that the kids playing on the computers in the Lab tend to be left alone more - probably because they're busy and involved and can be monitored from the front desk staff. They probably figured he was good and spent more time with the families that had questions or concerns.

I hope you and your son have a better experience next time! We tend to skip the first night now since there's nothing really going on (though they do have activities on the first night on the shorter cruises). The best way to approach it might be to check recent navigators in advance of your next cruise and see what activities appeal to your son. Then, just plan to attend the first of those once you get on the ship and see how it goes. You can stay with him and if it goes better - is more what you both imagined it would be - then you can evaluate the activities over the rest of the cruise and whether to just drop him off. Hopefully next time, having a better idea of what to expect, everything will be great! :)

Thank you for all of that. I have found that since we came home I have found so much more info that I would have loved to have known on the cruise. This is our 5th cruise so not sure why I feel like I keep reading informative things! I also spent time over here before we left for probably 6 weeks too.

Some of the activities look so fun in the club. They would appeal to me! I have never seen another adult in there, although I have only picked my little cousin up probably 7 or so times (and that was 8 years ago) and then this trip the couple of times we walked to the front.

There were only maybe 5 other kids in the club that night so I did think it was a slow time. I also assume had he just asked a CM how to shoot he would have been happy playing lego star wars all night! :confused3

Melcatfish
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Just to clarify I was referring to the OP in the thread you linked to - this thread seems have allowed people to express both views and several in between with out anyone feeling they are being told they are "wrong"

I agree that in general a higher ratio means better activities for the kids but perhaps our cruise was not so busy although the ship was full because even in the club with the little ones there always seemed to be enough counsellors to run the planned activities effectively AND superivse the children in the quiet room \ man the front desk etc...

We have another cruise booked for July and I am hoping that I disembark in Barcelona having had another great cruise and that our kids club experience lives up to our last cruise. :)

I will watch this thread with interest, it is always interesting to see how your own views and opinions match up (or not) with others'

Mel
x

Raven9 Studios
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Just to clarify I was referring to the OP in the thread you linked to - this thread seems have allowed people to express both views and several in between with out anyone feeling they are being told they are "wrong"

I agree that in general a higher ratio means better activities for the kids but perhaps our cruise was not so busy although the ship
I will watch this thread with interest, it is always interesting to see how your own views and opinions match up (or not) with others'

Mel
x

I TRULY appreciate you saying that. We did have a SOLD out cruise itinerary and this was my first cruise so that is why I was hoping to get more information because I def want to do another cruise but one where both kids will feel accepted and have fun. I was happy to see kids who had a great time I also paid attention to the ages as well and times they went. I was also actually not happy but felt not alone in others who saw the same or expressed the same concern on here regarding the ratios. I also felt horrible for some and the experiences they had that weren't so great. Again I wish something had been out there so I knew not to expect COMPLETE AMAZEMENT in the clubs and to realize it is what it is.