PDA

View Full Version : Live Updates from the Disney Magic - Feb 13th-20th

Pages : [1] 2

TestTrackBoy
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Follow @DCLUPDATES on Twitter for live updates from our cruise. I will start tomorrow morning as we are on our way to port and will try to get some in while we are out at sea. I'll be posting some photos on this thread as well. Please let me know if you have any questions while I'm on the Magic, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

http://twitter.com/DCLUPDATES

marlower
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Super! I'm following!!

TestTrackBoy
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Heidi!

LV Disney Fan(atic)
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Great! You finally gave me a reason to join Twitter. Have a great cruise!

TestTrackBoy
02-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Great! You finally gave me a reason to join Twitter. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for following me! Let the fun begin:banana:

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 06:11 AM
We are up early and watched the Magic come back on the webcam. Bags are good to go and we will be leaving in a few. I'll be switching over to Twitter now for updates. Have a great week everyone!:cool1:

MickeyMom:)
02-13-2010, 06:26 AM
The Magic could not have arrived at port cause we are still presently docked at Castaway Cay.......We have been stranded here due to extremely severe weather situations and have yet to leave. I just woke up after a horrid night of high winds and rain. The boat is docked but it was swaying like you couldn't imagine. The Captain just came on and said its still to dangerous to set sail....I dont know when we are going to arrive in PC....:(

02-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Yup, we were on the western of 02-06 and yesterday was our day at CC. Well we are still docked here and spent the night here. As we were pulling out of the cut the captain pulled her right back in and said over the speakers that the weather deteriorated immediately as he was trying to get her out to sea. This morning he said that there is no word yet when we will set sail.....I thank him for being so vigilant. The night was horrid, I couldn't imagine going through that at sea......I am unsetteled a bit, I wish I knew what to expect....:( Has this ever happened before. The CM that I have been able to speak to about this seem to say that there has been delays before but never of this magnitude!

Lyndz
02-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Oh my goodness...just looked at the port...check it every Saturday...keep us informed.

Lyndz
02-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Keep us posted. Be safe.

02-13-2010, 06:39 AM
I will try.....This is so weird. You can tell something was wrong yesterday. I have never seen so many people scramble so quickly....They had a really hard time getting the ship back to dock side. I kinda felt bad for the captain. My balcony is 5 balconies back from the Bridge side, where they stand out to see the back of the ship and the entire side of the ship where in their balconies staring at him and this entire scenario. No pressure....lol.....I will keep you guys updated. As I write this the ship is swaying so bad and when a good wind gust hits it, its just jolts you....:(

DMMarla07860
02-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I will try.....This is so weird. You can tell something was wrong yesterday. I have never seen so many people scramble so quickly....They had a really hard time getting the ship back to dock side. I kinda felt bad for the captain. My balcony is 5 balconies back from the Bridge side, where they stand out to see the back of the ship and the entire side of the ship where in their balconies staring at him and this entire scenario. No pressure....lol.....I will keep you guys updated. As I write this the ship is swaying so bad and when a good wind gust hits it, its just jolts you....:(

wow what a adventure it seems then

wdwprincess03
02-13-2010, 07:11 AM
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/2/13/disney_magic_stuck_in_bahamas.html

U2FanHfx
02-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Wow! Feel good for you to spend more time on the Magic but sorry for the "new" folks who will have their vacation cut short!

PorterBob
02-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Just saw this on the news. I knew I was going in late for work but was unsure why. That said it's about a 13 hour trip and said they didn't think the ship would be back until this evening. Going to be a very hectic day at the terminal. Lots of guests will be showing up not knowing anything is wrong

btw: not the longest delay,there was one cruise that had to spend an extra day at sea due to a hurricane and we did both ships at the same time in Fort Lauderdale

tigerfansga
02-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Do the Magic and Wonder share the same dock? Will the delay on the Magic have a ripple effect on the Wonder leaving on the 14th?

U2FanHfx
02-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Are you stuck at the port right now? What's going on there with the Magic stuck at Castaway Cay?

Lyndz
02-13-2010, 07:21 AM
What a mess - for ALL. Be safe

U2FanHfx
02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
On the news they say the Wonder will either need to dock somewhere else or it may need to wait for the Magic to unload, reload and set out.

CJM

ppiew
02-13-2010, 07:27 AM
what a logistical nightmare this is! rebooking people, finding a new cruise terminal for the Wonder. Yuk! sure am glad I don't work there today! Of course, spending another day at CC wouldn't be the worst either!!.. Hope they have plenty of food on board!

snelsonbrown
02-13-2010, 07:31 AM
As always DCL is doing everything possible to make sure that their passengers are safe.
The Magic should be in later on this evening and again I am sure that DCL "angels" will make sure all is put into place so that everyone is taken care of.

PorterBob
02-13-2010, 07:32 AM
How will this affect the Wonder? As long as it's in today we will have it out before the Wonder gets in

MERCYCAT
02-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Hope this makes everyone feel a little better... my wife and I have sailed through one hurricane and one tropical storm. (Hurricane Iris and Tropical Storm Hanna) Although it's unsettling to feel the boat rock and sway, you are completely safe. These ships are built to withstand storms like these. So even though you may rock and sway quite a bit, take comfort in knowing that the captain and their crew are very experienced in sailing through storms - and as you already now know, they can tell when it's safe to sail and when it's not. Enjoy the extra time! And if you feel ill because of the rocking, step outside and focus on the horizon. And ask for Ginger Ale. : )

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Hmm. Must have saw the Carnival ship then this morning. We haven't gotten a call from DCL yet. I'll update on my Twitter what's going on.

PorterBob
02-13-2010, 07:34 AM
As long as it makes it in today I don't see any reason we can't get it back out before the Wonder gets in tomorrow

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow...what a story!!! Can you say "missed flights" to the extreme!!!

MJ

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Hmm. Must have saw the Carnival ship then this morning. We haven't gotten a call from DCL yet. I'll update on my Twitter what's going on.

You may not get a call....be pro active and call them (though they may not have any answers yet either). See if you can snag a day room at a local hotel....news says they are not returning until about 8PM tonight.

Can't imagine what the port will be like today!!! I wonder if they will let people stay in the Port terminal all day or what....will they bring in food/beverages.

MJ

marlower
02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Wow...what a story!!! Can you say "missed flights" to the extreme!!!

MJ

That is exactly what I was thinking!!

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 07:57 AM
You may not get a call....be pro active and call them. See if you can snag a day room at a local hotel....news says they are not returning until about 8PM tonight.

MJ

Yeah, I have called everyone. Just waiting a few more minutes til DCL reservations opens. I live in Orlando, so there is no need for a hotel. Just a quick hour drive over.

marlower
02-13-2010, 07:57 AM
As long as it makes it in today I don't see any reason we can't get it back out before the Wonder gets in tomorrow

When you said "we" I assumed you work as a porter. Then I looked up your profile and sure enough! Good luck to you today and tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a busy busy couple of days and lots of disappointed cruisers. Hang in there!

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I have called everyone. Just waiting a few more minutes til DCL reservations opens. I live in Orlando, so there is no need for a hotel. Just a quick hour drive over.

I saw that you were from Orlando after I posted.....but at least you are not far away and are in the comforts of your own home!!! Good luck today....

MJ

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 08:00 AM
For anyone on the fence about trip insurance....this would be a case where it would come in very handy....both for the people not able to get their flights out of Florida today and those that are just coming into Florida and missing their 1st day of the cruise....

MJ

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 08:06 AM
There are several threads that speak about this same topic....I am going to merge them to keep the info in one place.

There will be two threads....one with general discussions and one for the cruisers waiting to sail today so they can find their info quickly.

Thank you for your understanding.

MJ

TestTrackBoy
Just got off the phone with DCL. Was told to call back at 9:30 for updated information as they are putting together a plan for today's sailing.

PorterBob
When you said "we" I assumed you work as a porter. Then I looked up your profile and sure enough! Good luck to you today and tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a busy busy couple of days and lots of disappointed cruisers. Hang in there!

We've had delays before had the ship done in 7-8 hours, so I see no reason it can't be done as long as it's in before 11 or so. Don't see it being that late so I'm not sweating it, just getting ready for a non-stop day:lmao:. Hopefully will have time for a few hours of sleep before the Wonder gets in

KrisannB
02-13-2010, 08:40 AM
For anyone on the fence about trip insurance....this would be a case where it would come in very handy....both for the people not able to get their flights out of Florida today and those that are just coming into Florida and missing their 1st day of the cruise....

MJ

My thoughts exactly - and with the late arrival not only will people need new flights but also hotel rooms for the night - I hope everyone is able to reschedule with little hassle. This is not a "what if" I would have thought of!

Krisann

sdchickie
02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
On the other posting it said Disney is giving the cruisers a free ticket to Epcot today and meal vouchers for while they are there. So at least they won't be just hanging around. I wonder if transportation to WDW is included?

Renysmom
02-13-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-bk-disney-magic-delayed-021310,0,5740816.story

Bummer for today's cruise.

sayhello
02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
On the other posting it said Disney is giving the cruisers a free ticket to Epcot today and meal vouchers for while they are there. So at least they won't be just hanging around. I wonder if transportation to WDW is included?I sure hope so, or it would be pretty pointless to give a lot of those people tickets and vouchers.

That's such a good idea for Disney to do. Better than having all those people at the terminal, getting upset when there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

Sayhello

ibouncetoo
02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Today's folks are getting a free day at Epcot.

Bummer for the folks on the ship who may be missing flights home!

Thanks for the link and FYI, there's already an update thread with info on this.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2395681

BeautyFan
02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow, isn't this crazy? I wonder what is happening with everyone who is still on the ship...did they take their luggage from their rooms last night? Does DCL have a contingency plan when delays happen in regards to both entertainment and meals for the cruisers on board and assistance with rebooking flights and hotels upon return? :confused:

I'll be following this story! popcorn::

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Wow, isn't this crazy? I wonder what is happening with everyone who is still on the ship...did they take their luggage from their rooms last night? Does DCL have a contingency plan when delays happen in regards to both entertainment and meals for the cruisers on board and assistance with rebooking flights and hotels upon return? :confused:

I'll be following this story! popcorn::

They always carry extra food there are rules on that, and do have contingency plans as well.

Ships have been late/early before. Moved to Port Everglades at Fort Lauderdale, even docked it Galveston Texas to avoid bad weather.

Again its a great advert for Trip insurance as DCL will do whatever they can but there is limits, and the only cover the bits you booked through them.

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Ugh, We have been waiting a year for this cruise and we found out this morning the boat is still stuck at Castaway Cay. Due to 50 mile/hr winds the boat cannot leave port. We need to be out of our room at noon on the resort. Boat might not be in port until tonight.

Raven9 Studios
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Ugh, We have been waiting a year for this cruise and we found out this morning the boat is still stuck at Castaway Cay. Due to 50 mile/hr winds the boat cannot leave port. We need to be out of our room at noon on the resort. Boat might not be in port until tonight.

they put you in a resort for the night? can you give more details please and when do you think you will be leaving?

antkim
02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
WOW...I am sorry to hear that. It must be scary for those onboard as well!!

I hope they are able to leave safely soon so your trip can begin!!

Kim

kcashner
02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
When we were on a delayed cruise due to a hurricane, we were not provided with a room for the night--we had to arrange and pay for it. We did get a partial refund on the cruise and had the option to cancel and get a full refund.

However, in this case the news reports are that the Magic will be in port by 8 pm, so lit looks like guests will be able to board tonight. Best wishes to ALL--those getting off are going to be crazy with needs to rearrange flights, etc.

Aquachick0410
02-13-2010, 09:39 AM
What about the Wonder's itinerary? Isn't today their day at Castaway Cay? So are they still docked at Nassau since they can't get into Castaway Cay because the Magic is still there?

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 09:44 AM
What about the Wonder's itinerary? Isn't today their day at Castaway Cay? So are they still docked at Nassau since they can't get into Castaway Cay because the Magic is still there?

Yes, but with the weather it wouldnt go in anyway, the issue is if the Magic can get in/out of Port Canaveral before the Wonder is back on Sunday.

ericamanda01
02-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I feel so bad for everyone involved. I'm assuming it's not just DCL that is affected by this, but other cruise lines as well. This just sucks all the way around.

catzle
02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Amazing and scary. If I was on the ship, I wouldn't care how long we sat at CC as long as they got us back safely. Glad I purchased Insurance for our upcoming trip, so well worth the $130 we paid!

Brooklyn
02-13-2010, 09:56 AM
popcorn::

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
was just told by GF that they are putting us in another room. They believe we will being staying here another night, unless they hear otherwise. Boat is still at castaway cay. They are waiting for tug boats to secure the boat so that they can stay the the correct position when they turn their engines on and un-dock, because of the 50+ mile an hour winds. Not sure if they are charging us for the room but they are giving us a pass at one of the parks and a meal voucher.

sayhello
02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Ugh, We have been waiting a year for this cruise and we found out this morning the boat is still stuck at Castaway Cay. Due to 50 mile/hr winds the boat cannot leave port. We need to be out of our room at noon on the resort. Boat might not be in port until tonight.There's another thread where they are reporting on this. Disney is providing people with a day at Epcot while you wait, and I'm sure the resort will hold on to your luggage while you are at Epcot.

Check here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2395985

Sayhello

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Alright, We will not board ship until Sunday. Ship is faced with 50 mile/hr winds and 15 foot waves. They won't be able to leave castaway cay until tonight, late.

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree
about those still on the boat.

aschiele
02-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Unbelievable

disneyfaninaz
02-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I can think of worse places to be stuck! I'm sure DCL has contingency plans when things like this happen. Another post says that the Magic probably won't return to port until tomorrow.

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
DISNEY INFO RELEASE:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions in the Bahamas, the arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral has been delayed today. We now do not anticipate boarding today's voyage until tomorrow.

We realize this delay in check-in and boarding is disappointing to you, and hope you understand these current weather conditions could not be helped.

We have arranged complimentary Theme Park admission at Epcot today for our embarking passengers. We invite you to visit the Disney Cruise Line Hospitality Desk at Epcot to receive admission tickets and meal gift card.

We sincerely regret the delay and appreciate your patience. Please call 1-800-939-2784 after 1 p.m. this afternoon for further updates.

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I am merging this thread with the other one.....no need to have several threads on the same topic. There are already two threads that are being mainly being used to post info and for general discussion of the event..

Thanks...

MJ

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I am merging this thread with the Live Update thread.....

MJ

SuzanneSLO
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I just got a 2nd hand report from my sister that my parents are stuck on the Magic at Castaway Cay. They will be missing their flights today and have rescheduled (or maybe just hope to reschedule) for tomorrow. They are luckier than most that they are flying west to Oakland, so their flights may not be as impacted as those who need to head home to the East Coast. They are also retied, so other than dog-sitting for my sister, they have more flexibility as to when they get home. Its nice for us that we don't have to worry about them being fed and sheltered while they wait to get home. -- Suzanne

mmouse37
02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Please post any pertinent info as well on the following thread......

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2395985

This will help those Magic cruisers who were supposed to sail today to get important DCL info quickly instead of reading this entire thread.

MJ

Raven9 Studios
02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
anyone have any photos on board of the weather that may put some people in perspective in regards to SAFETY FIRST

digidesigns
02-13-2010, 11:03 AM
all though disappointing, GF has gone out of their way to be accommodating. Kids are having a hard time understanding. I hope everyone gets back safely and the seas calm down soon. I know staying on the ship and extra day sounds great to all of us waiting. But it has to be concerning for those on board and a little green, if you know what I mean. For those on board keep us posted.

catzle
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
I am sure those on board the ship are scared, tired and worried and hopefully being take care of. I'm sure we will get a lot of postings when they come back. I just hope tempers are being kept to a minimum on board as this is definitely not disney's fault. If I were on that ship I would more scared than anything since they will have to eventually have to come back through that bad weather.

02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Capt John just came on about an hour ago or so and reported that we would most likely be arriving at PC sometime tomm. He is awaiting a window in the weather to open up for us to make a go at it... Last night was rough even though we were tied to the dock at CC. I could have imagined what it would of been like had he tried to make through the weather....He keeps apologizing profusely over the PA system, but I really dont think he needs to...Its not his or Disneys fault. He was quite vigilant and responsible to make a decision that would cause so much havoc....The ship has a weird vibe to it....everyone is just sorta lingering around trying to adjust to the new navigators they just gave us...We also got our luggage back in our staterooms this morning. There is a long line in guest relations of people trying to contact their airlines and such. They also gave out again pagers for the kids club...I heard about the passengers that were waiting went to Epcot....Poor people....

Tinkermom3
02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Capt John just came on about an hour ago or so and reported that we would most likely be arriving at PC sometime tomm. He is awaiting a window in the weather to open up for us to make a go at it... Last night was rough even though we were tied to the dock at CC. I could have imagined what it would of been like had he tried to make through the weather....He keeps apologizing profusely over the PA system, but I really dont think he needs to...Its not his or Disneys fault. He was quite vigilant and responsible to make a decision that would cause so much havoc....The ship has a weird vibe to it....everyone is just sorta lingering around trying to adjust to the new navigators they just gave us...We also got our luggage back in our staterooms this morning. There is a long line in guest relations of people trying to contact their airlines and such. They also gave out again pagers for the kids club...I heard about the passengers that were waiting went to Epcot....Poor people....

What was the weather like yesterday at Castaway Cay? Did this wind/weather just come up late yesterday when you all were trying to leave? Thanks for the update! Try to at least enjoy your extra day!

02-13-2010, 11:19 AM
The weather was pretty good....A bit chilly in the early morning then it warmed up. Then at around 5ish when we were ready to pull out it came out of no where. He tried pulling out and then came right back in and re-tied the boat up. We couldnt go out to the deck the wind was dangerously gusty....The rain and lightening where worrisome too...Not the way I would of hoped to be stranded at CC...

Jillpie
02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
MiCkeymom, thanks for that update! What kinds of things are the offering on the navigators to do today?

truck1
02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Do the Magic and Wonder share the same dock? Will the delay on the Magic have a ripple effect on the Wonder leaving on the 14th?

Yes.They share the same pier at PC and CC. All depends on when the Magic gets outs of CC.Depending on who makes the decision, they could conceivably slow the Magic down on her way back, bring the Wonder in first,reload her, leave early if possible, then bring the Magic in.This would only incovinence the MAgic passengers.They could also bring the Magic in to a different pier at PC.Theres a lot of possibilities that can be done, and a lot will depend on when the Magic can finally get off the pier.
Heres 1 other thing to throw a monkey wrench into the problem.
If the ship is rolling at the pier, they may have to have a hull survey done by divers before she either comes into the port, or before she leaves again.
That would something for the embarking guests to look for.

On the news they say the Wonder will either need to dock somewhere else or it may need to wait for the Magic to unload, reload and set out.

CJM
I wouldnt put too much stock in what the news says, unless its a Disney Release about the situation.
Half the time that the news comes up with something, the information is usually several hours old and/or speculation. Ive watched on the news a fire that I worked, and the news kept saying County Fire Dept, when every truck in the video said City of on the side.There was no county trucks at this fire.

truck1
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Capt John just came on about an hour ago or so and reported that we would most likely be arriving at PC sometime tom...

Is it my imagination, but is Capt John usually in command of the more "interesting" cruses?

barbarasc
02-13-2010, 11:31 AM
We drove from Virginia Friday - just before arriving in Pt Canaveral this morning a friend called (Thank You Karen- she is at Disney's Boardwalk Resort) and advised that the ship was delayed. I called DCL and they did not have much info except to say we could go to Epcot. We are traveling with our daughter Jen she is disabled so going to Epcot is not an option for us since it is 40 degress and windy. We opted to get a hotel @ the port before they were ALL SOLD OUT. We are staying at the Residence Inn Cape Canaverl. NOW we are waiting to see if DCL will pay our room and meals for at least , NO word on that and NO word on what reimbursement there will be if for the lost day. If the ship arrives LATE tomorrow we will most likely lose another day at which point I am assuming this Eastern Cruise will turn in in a cruise to the Bahamas :confused3

My only "diss" to DCL is they are not giving near enough info. When I call and explained that Epcot and the 50 mile drive 1 way just not being an option for us because of our daughter they had NO alternate option and I am sure that we are not the only folks traveling with someone that is disabled.

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Just checked the weather online for the Bahamas. Seems that the line of bad weather crosses directly over Castaway. Might be some time before it passes.

I can assure you that DCL will not put the safety of the passengers or their assets in danger. I have sailed with Capt John and Capt Henry, they are both very experienced Naval Officers and will do whatever they can to ensure a speedy return.

PorterBob
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Well they have sent most of us home for the day, not much we can do. They are taking luggage at the Port if guests would like to leave them. As far as I could tell the only guests being bussed over were the one that used private transfer in.They were not letting anyone park as far as I could tell. Rumor is that they will use a terminal on the other end of the Port if we have both in at the same time

DMMarla07860
02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Is it my imagination, but is Capt John usually in command of the more "interesting" cruses?

It does seem like that

debm
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
We are on the Feb. 20th sailing. I can't imagine going through this right now as we also have a child with disabilities as a previous poster mentioned. However I don't expect Disney to pay for anything except perhaps make things easier, like the tickets into Epcot. I would like to think that they would put my safety first rather than worry about losing money over people demanding hotel rooms and free food, etc. I hope that people are being understanding as to what Disney is trying to do. I would hate to think that upset folks would make Disney do things any differently for the folks still stuck at CC. Just my 2 cents. Of course I'm not in the situation but we do have insurance! Whew!!

westjones
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Where will everyone be staying tonight? We were on the Magic once when they had to cut the cruise short by one day to get out before a storm hit and they bused us all to the Dolphin for that night. Just wondered if they were doing something like that again.

vvv
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=barbarasc;35415562]If the ship arrives LATE tomorrow we will most likely lose another day at which point I am assuming this Eastern Cruise will turn in in a cruise to the Bahamas :confused3

QUOTE]

That is a great point. The Magic cruise for this week is already going to miss at least one full sea day at the very least. It is starting to look like they may not have enough time to make it to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so would they still travel all that distance just to make one stop???? This may very well end being a cruise in the Bahammas. Maybe they could make two stops at Castaway Cay. What a horrible beginning to a cruise to have all of this uncertainty going on.

MrsMork
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
subscribing. Our DD and DSIL are on the Magic. And extra night, I hope they are able to relax and enjoy. At least they do not have a plane to catch.

lbuher
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
If I was EVER on the fence about buying trip insurance for a cruise, I am NOT anymore!!! I understand that there will be lots of upset folks with lots of additional expenses, but honestly, Disney shouldn't HAVE to be on the hook for covering everything for everybody, because that's what trip insurance is for. I just hope most folks - both on the ship and TRYING to get on the ship - have it to at least help with the additional expense that will be involved.

Man, what a headache, for soooooo many people in sooooo many ways. I hope DCL is able come up with something for the new passengers that will help to make up for the lost time at sea - even though they aren't technically obligated to do so. It would help ease the pain, at least.

What a nightmare.

MrsMork
02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Yep, trip insurance. :thumbsup2

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Just to lighten the spirit on this bad news for thoose on ship and thoose awaiting to get on, I was wondering what the extra show will be in the Walt Disney Theater tonight.

Maybe a 3D version of 'The Poseidon adventure', ???:confused3

I would say Titanic, but they are a bit too South for that...

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
If I was EVER on the fence about buying trip insurance for a cruise, I am NOT anymore!!! I understand that there will be lots of upset folks with lots of additional expenses, but honestly, Disney shouldn't HAVE to be on the hook for covering everything for everybody, because that's what trip insurance is for. I just hope most folks - both on the ship and TRYING to get on the ship - have it to at least help with the additional expense that will be involved.

Man, what a headache, for soooooo many people in sooooo many ways. I hope DCL is able come up with something for the new passengers that will help to make up for the lost time at sea - even though they aren't technically obligated to do so. It would help ease the pain, at least.

What a nightmare.

see if I was on the magic I would not expect Disney to compensate me for anything. Yes I might have to worry about airlines, etc but I got an extra day on the magic!

Now if I was waiting to get on the magic, then I would expect Disney to compensate me either with a credit or to arrange for accommodations. I would have already paid for my room, food and entertainment for today. Looks like they are trying by giving people entertainment (tickets to epcot) and food (meal vouchers) so they are on the right track. I still would also expect them to find me a place to sleep. Now I'm saying that having done all this, I would not expect any additional compensation. If DCL decided to compensate with a partial refund then I would expect to use that to cover my land expenses.

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Just called and was told that we would be leaving tomorrow and that we are not stopping in St. Maarten.:sad1:

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Just saw this on the news. I knew I was going in late for work but was unsure why. That said it's about a 13 hour trip and said they didn't think the ship would be back until this evening. Going to be a very hectic day at the terminal. Lots of guests will be showing up not knowing anything is wrong

btw: not the longest delay,there was one cruise that had to spend an extra day at sea due to a hurricane and we did both ships at the same time in Fort Lauderdale

There were other cruises that had to go to Galveston and stay for a couple of extra days because of a hurricane...

subscribing. Our DD and DSIL are on the Magic. And extra night, I hope they are able to relax and enjoy. At least they do not have a plane to catch.

Hi Angie!!! Hope everyone gets home ok...

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Just checked the weather online for the Bahamas. Seems that the line of bad weather crosses directly over Castaway. Might be some time before it passes.

I can assure you that DCL will not put the safety of the passengers or their assets in danger. I have sailed with Capt John and Capt Henry, they are both very experienced Naval Officers and will do whatever they can to ensure a speedy return.

Hi Joel!!!

Was waitin for you to check in on this one... :thumbsup2

(and you still owe me a margarita... ;))

lbuher
02-13-2010, 12:11 PM
see if I was on the magic I would not expect Disney to compensate me for anything. Yes I might have to worry about airlines, etc but I got an extra day on the magic!

Now if I was waiting to get on the magic, then I would expect Disney to compensate me either with a credit or to arrange for accommodations. I would have already paid for my room, food and entertainment for today. Looks like they are trying by giving people entertainment (tickets to epcot) and food (meal vouchers) so they are on the right track. I still would also expect them to find me a place to sleep. Now I'm saying that having done all this, I would not expect any additional compensation. If DCL decided to compensate with a partial refund then I would expect to use that to cover my land expenses.

I'm just curious.... if DCL agreed/offered to do all that, what would you expect trip insurance to pay for? Because DCL DOES offer trip insurance that would cover all that, and if someone chooses to decline the trip insurance and doesn't purchase from somewhere else, then they are the ones that are taking a huge risk and would then be liable for the expenses incurred. Does that make sense?

02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Well here is another update....The Wonder is directly behind us here at CC. She is a little out anchored and not moving. I guess she was supposed to be here today?...Not sure.....The navigator for today is filled with alot of the same quality type activities we had during our cruise, pretty good stuff....The kids are in their respective clubs and we are going for some beer tasting soon. Tonights show is a comedy number....I am still waiting for what our dinner rotation will be for tonight...hmmm.....I guess we ended up with an 8 day cruise instead of 7 days......Just not the way I would of wanted it....So what else has Capt John had to deal with?

su_kraft
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Out of curiosity I called the number... They are working on resort accomodations for people that were supposed to sail today. They didn't mention transportation between the port and EPCOT, and then back to the port tomorrow, but I am guessing they are working that out as well. Also, they noted that it is now a 6 night sailing - no St, Maarten.

What a mess for all involved!

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Michelle...Yep we're still here...Lurking in the shadows. Just planned a Mom and Me weekend in March. Can't wait. :cool1:

TampaFamily
02-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Just called, listened to the message and spoke to an agent. They don't have the full story together yet but here's what they told us so far:

- we will definately not be leaving tonight, onboard guests will stay onboard tonight if the Magic arrives back at PC tonight
- our cruise is now a 6-day eliminating St. Marteen stop
- they will be offering resort accommodations in Orlando, but won't have those details until after 2pm
- they may also be offering a discount/partial refund for the cruise cost but don't yet have those details

I'm very disappointed in the decision to eliminate St. Marteen - we booked this cruise to see the Eastern islands, and would much rather skip Castaway Cay.

Other than that point, I think Disney is being very generous in compensating us for a situation that's out of their control.

lbuher
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Out of curiosity I called the number... They are working on resort accomodations for people that were supposed to sail today. They didn't mention transportation between the port and EPCOT, and then back to the port tomorrow, but I am guessing they are working that out as well. Also, they noted that it is now a 6 night sailing - no St, Maarten.

What a mess for all involved!

That is awesome that they are working on resort accomodations, too. Unfortunately I think part of the "mess" will be trying to make things fair for everyone - like those that don't have transportation to Epcot and can't take advantage of those tickets OR those meal vouchers. Or those that have already found hotel rooms for tonight near the port. But DCL is definitely on the right track by doing all that they are doing so far!

Tinkermom3
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Well here is another update....The Wonder is directly behind us here at CC. She is a little out anchored and not moving. I guess she was supposed to be here today?...Not sure.....The navigator for today is filled with alot of the same quality type activities we had during our cruise, pretty good stuff....The kids are in their respective clubs and we are going for some beer tasting soon. Tonights show is a comedy number....I am still waiting for what our dinner rotation will be for tonight...hmmm.....I guess we ended up with an 8 day cruise instead of 7 days......Just not the way I would of wanted it....So what else has Capt John had to deal with?

Yup - today would have been the Wonder's turn on Castaway Cay. Curious that they actually came to CC instead of just another sea day. I would rather have a sea day than be able to SEE CC - so close yet so far....

Enjoy your beer tasting!!:thumbsup2 Have one for me! 29 days till we are on the Wonder! Hoping that this CRAZY weather we have been having this winter settles down by then. 40's in Florida = YUCK!

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Just called, listened to the message and spoke to an agent. They don't have the full story together yet but here's what they told us so far:

- we will definately not be leaving tonight, onboard guests will stay onboard tonight if the Magic arrives back at PC tonight
- our cruise is now a 6-day eliminating St. Marteen stop
- they will be offering resort accommodations in Orlando, but won't have those details until after 2pm
- they may also be offering a discount/partial refund for the cruise cost but don't yet have those details

I'm very disappointed in the decision to eliminate St. Marteen - we booked this cruise to see the Eastern islands, and would much rather skip Castaway Cay.

Other than that point, I think Disney is being very generous in compensating us for a situation that's out of their control.

Any change is very dissapointing, but they seem to be doing as much as possible and organisng a lot as things develop very quickly.

In August 2009, my Eastern became a Western with two stops at CC,I was dissapointed with that, had done Western three times. But understood.

Panther007
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Can you take some pics of the wonder from the magic and post them here?

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm just curious.... if DCL agreed/offered to do all that, what would you expect trip insurance to pay for? Because DCL DOES offer trip insurance that would cover all that, and if someone chooses to decline the trip insurance and doesn't purchase from somewhere else, then they are the ones that are taking a huge risk and would then be liable for the expenses incurred. Does that make sense?

To be honest I wouldn't care so much about the entertainment but I paid for 7-nights and would expect that they either compensate 1/7th or provide a room with dinner (the least I would expect on the ship). If I declined trip insurance I would expect that I would be on the hook if I didn't make the ship on time and if I needed to switch air flights because we didn't get back in time. I wouldn't care that it was now only a 6-night. I wouldn't expect anyt
additional compensation as long as they provided one of the two options. I wouldn't expect DCL to give me any more or any less. I would simply expect things to be fair.

Regardless, Disney sounds like they are more than doing what they can to take care of the people for the night. As disappointed as I'm sure they are, I'm glad the important things are being handled for them.

lbuher
02-13-2010, 12:45 PM
To be honest I wouldn't care so much about the entertainment but I paid for 7-nights and would expect that they either compensate 1/7th or provide a room with dinner (the least I would expect on the ship). If I declined trip insurance I would expect that I would be on the hook if I didn't make the ship on time and if I needed to switch air flights because we didn't get back in time. I wouldn't care that it was now only a 6-night. I wouldn't expect anyt
additional compensation as long as they provided one of the two options. I wouldn't expect DCL to give me any more or any less. I would simply expect things to be fair.

Regardless, Disney sounds like they are more than doing what they can to take care of the people for the night. As disappointed as I'm sure they are, I'm glad the important things are being handled for them.

Totally see your point and agree that it sounds like Disney is making a great effort so far. The "fair" part is the hard part, because so many people are gonna have different opinions of what is "fair".

I just feel so bad for everyone involved - including the cast/crew of the Magic and the terminal workers.... cannot even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare and the huge inconveniences for thousands of people. It can't be helped, but what a headache and disappointment and frustration for so many!!

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Totally see your point and agree that it sounds like Disney is making a great effort so far. The "fair" part is the hard part, because so many people are gonna have different opinions of what is "fair".

I just feel so bad for everyone involved - including the cast/crew of the Magic and the terminal workers.... cannot even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare and the huge inconveniences for thousands of people. It can't be helped, but what a headache and disappointment and frustration for so many!!

I agree. The people on the magic are getting a bonus day and the people waiting are being taken care of. Seems the people getting the short end if this stick are the terminal workers who will have to handle two ships tomorrow! Going to be a crazy day for them! Since both ships will probably be docking somewhere at PC, at least the crew will probably have the normal time to turn around. Course the ship that doesn't get to dock at the DCL will probably be upset! Yes plenty of headaches for all the staff.

kcashner
02-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Transportation was provided from the terminal to WDW for those guests who arrived at the terminal expecting to board. Don't know what was done for those who arrived at MCO.

In these situations no one will be fully happy, but DCL will do what it considers reasonable.

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 01:29 PM

If you don't have trip insurance... you are liable... Disney doesn't HAVE to do anything... read the small print in your cruise contract...

They are very accomodating compared to other cruise companies... you often hear if they have to change ports or such, then they do their best to provide transportation if needed...other lines leave you...

Hi Michelle...Yep we're still here...Lurking in the shadows. Just planned a Mom and Me weekend in March. Can't wait. :cool1:

I KNEW you weren't staying away long...

I guess a 3 night? So... will you have time to take pics??? :rolleyes1 ;) ;)

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Just to lighten the spirit on this bad news for thoose on ship and thoose awaiting to get on, I was wondering what the extra show will be in the Walt Disney Theater tonight.

Maybe a 3D version of 'The Poseidon adventure', ???:confused3

So do they have another "til we meet again" tonight???

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree. The people on the magic are getting a bonus day and the people waiting are being taken care of. Seems the people getting the short end if this stick are the terminal workers who will have to handle two ships tomorrow! Going to be a crazy day for them! Since both ships will probably be docking somewhere at PC, at least the crew will probably have the normal time to turn around. Course the ship that doesn't get to dock at the DCL will probably be upset! Yes plenty of headaches for all the staff.

Good questions and points, but *what if* the Wonder/Magic goes to Port Everglades at Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, and they have to bus everyone down as PC is full.

Jillpie
02-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Transportation was provided from the terminal to WDW for those guests who arrived at the terminal expecting to board. Don't know what was done for those who arrived at MCO.

In these situations no one will be fully happy, but DCL will do what it considers reasonable.

I imagine Disney may have made an arrangement with the airport Hyatt, to block off some rooms and put up the incoming cruisers there for the night...we shall see in due time I guess.

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Good questions and points, but *what if* the Wonder/Magic goes to Port Everglades at Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, and they have to bus everyone down as PC is full.

Even more of a headache! I believe they had to do that when PC was closed with a hurricane. Yes, the workers are going to have a rough day!

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
So do they have another "til we meet again" tonight???

Presume they will have to put something together.......

02-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately my camera sucks, I really could of gotten a great pic had I had a good camera, and the wonder has moved away now. I guess she might be doing a sea day after all. Well we are presently attempting another go and so far the Magic has gone in and out of the dock area twice. Capt John drives this thing like it was a car I tell ya...So far we are back at the dock, no sucsess so far. The dock workers at CC are so funny. Everytime he pulls away they kinda start getting ready to drive back in their golf carts and then when they see the ship actually pulling back in they scramble back to where the ropes are...:rotfl: They look really nervous. I can see Capt John from my balcony he is on the bridge and that poor man looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders....I will let you guys know if we head out..

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Sure Michelle, what did you want me to photograph???

clawmachine
02-13-2010, 01:44 PM
I think the best thing disrupted passengers can do is try to bond with each other and see the whole thing as an unexpected adventure. It is so much easier to do this when you don't have young children, but even they can get their heads around a challenge and perhaps even have a lot of fun with it. After all, life itself is always full of detours and such. My experience, years ago on the now-defunct Premier Cruise Lines, was that the passengers did indeed bond over such events. We were supposed to leave on a Saturday afternoon from Baltimore (my home town) for a 7-night New England/Nova Scotia cruise, but the ship did not make it back to our port in time due to bad weather and so we had to be bussed up to New York and left much later at night from that port. All the grumbling eventually changed to oohs and aahs once we realized how cool it was to sail away from the NYC harbor at night. Then we had to switch itineraries due to ocean currents, skip an entire port due to inability to tender, and at one point the ship actually ran out of activities for anyone onboard to do! (you can see why this cruise line is no more.) People like myself who were disappointed to miss the sailing through the C&D canal on the way out, stayed up all through the night on the last day just to see it then, albeit in darkness. All in all, the cruise was quite screwed up, but you know what? I met some of the nicest people on any vacation ever that week, and even made a penpal of the Lido deck manager. <grin> Once people got over the shock of all the changes, they sort of hunkered down into a "we'll make the best of it" attitude, and that made a world of difference. In the end it was a wonderful vacation and quite memorable! :) No, we did not get any kind of compensation (nor did we expect any) but again, this cruise line went out of business very shortly after our trip...

02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
This attempt failed and we are now re-docking at CC. The engines are off and the dock workers are tying her up. We kinda went straight back to the dock kinda rough there. Anyhow I spoke to one of the officers and he explained that the current and wind gust were so powerful we almost ended up in the side rear dock and the rocks. The ships engine "side way" engine was over powered. I can totally see what he was talking about now. The engine you can smell and hear it, it was going full throttle and we moved nothing. Just closer and closer to the dock and the depth marker (the wooden stick coming out of the ocean), when the Capt was trying to head in the opposite direction. ....Ughhh

Ebunny
02-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Authorities said Disney is offering passengers on board the Disney Magic:

Free daily cell phone service to make alternate travel arrangements upon arrival Sunday at the port
A 20 percent discount on a future cruise
Help on board arranging return travel if passengers booked air travel through Walt Disney World

Passengers who were delayed and who will board on Sunday for the now six-day rather than seven-day cruise will be offered:

Free hotel stay Saturday either on or off Disney property, and a free day at Epcot for their entire party
$20 per person on board credit for the meal they would have gotten Saturday night. The credit can be used on the ship when they board.
$100 per stateroom on board credit
A 20 percent refund
Option to cancel cruise without penalty and with full refund

I'm just disappointed to be missing St. Martin, they should let us go there and skip St. Thomas instead! I spoke with the DCL lady and she said they're meeting now to figure out the 6 day schedule. So if you have outside excursions planned you better be prepared to call for changes!

We're on our way to salvage some of the vacation time and check out the pirate dinner show. See you all tomorrow I hope! Any plans on where everyones meeting? Same time and place, different day?

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 01:49 PM
This attempt failed and we are now re-docking at CC. The engines are off and the dock workers are tying her up. We kinda went straight back to the dock kinda rough there. Anyhow I spoke to one of the officers and he explained that the current and wind gust were so powerful we almost ended up in the side rear dock and the rocks. The ships engine "side way" engine was over powered. I can totally see what he was talking about now. The engine you can smell and hear it, it was going full throttle and we moved nothing. Just closer and closer to the dock and the depth marker (the wooden stick coming out of the ocean), when the Capt was trying to head in the opposite direction. ....Ughhh

:scared1:

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM

Free daily cell phone service to make alternate travel arrangements upon arrival Sunday at the port
Help on board arranging return travel if passengers booked air travel through Walt Disney World

Passengers who were delayed and who will board on Sunday for the now six-day rather than seven-day cruise will be offered:

Free hotel stay Saturday either on or off Disney property, and a free day at Epcot for their entire party
$20 per person on board credit for the meal they would have gotten Saturday night. The credit can be used on the ship when they board.
A 20 percent refund

I'm just disappointed to be missing St. Martin, they should let us go there and skip St. Thomas instead! I spoke with the DCL lady and she said they're meeting now to figure out the 6 day schedule. So if you have outside excursions planned you better be prepared to call for changes!

We're on our way to salvage some of the vacation time and check out the pirate dinner show. See you all tomorrow I hope! Any plans on where everyones meeting? Same time and place, different day?

They are really pulling all the stops out, and trying very hard....

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Just checked sailwx.info it shows the Magic, Monarch of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas in a linear path out to sea. Now, with that said, it doesn't time stamp the locations for security reasons. However, the Magic is West of Gorda Cay, a.k.a. Castaway Cay and southeast of Grand Bahama Island. Coordinates from that updats are -78 30/ 26 12. Perhpas she is making some headway????

Andrew DEREK UK
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Just checked sailwx.info it shows the Magic, Monarch of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas in a linear path out to sea. Now, with that said, it doesn't time stamp the locations for security reasons. However, the Magic is West of Gorda Cay, a.k.a. Castaway Cay and southeast of Grand Bahama Island. Coordinates from that updats are -78 30/ 26 12. Perhpas she is making some headway????

Above post says redocked......

02-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Believe me she is re-docked. I am sitting here in my balcony and am staring at CC. I wish we were on our way. Passengers are speaking to eachother via-balcony. Too funny we are all out here. So much for my beer tasting activity, My husband said he couldn't miss this. I guess we should be hearing another announcement soon.

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
As I said, the site doesn't time stamp the post for security reasons, it could have been previous coordinates for their approach to Castaway. I am relying on the folks onboard to keep us updated...

MagicMe
02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds like DCL is doing everything to help the passengers both on and off the ship. I would be disappointed in missing a night on the ship but satisfied that they were making sure I had a place to stay and something to eat. Is it too late for Le Cellier???!!!

outahere
02-13-2010, 01:59 PM

I don't think so. If you scroll down on their web page, you'll see that the last report from the Magic was yesterday at 0900.

clawmachine
02-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Hang in there MickeyMom! You will have some great stories to share for years to come. I am the WORST, most impatient waiter in the entire world so I admire how calm you sound in your posts!!

Ebunny
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Le Cellier books up fast, but I was able to do a walk up midtime between lunch and dinner once.. on a weekday tho. Great food if you can get in!

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Sure Michelle, what did you want me to photograph???

Well.. you took us to the wedding... ohhh never mind... you and the Mrs. need a nice weekend away... becareful though cause one of my friends got caught in a bad riptide at CC in Sept at the adult beach...

Which cat did you book?

As I said, the site doesn't time stamp the post for security reasons, it could have been previous coordinates for their approach to Castaway. I am relying on the folks onboard to keep us updated...

Joel... I think you just proved that CC moves!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

OceanLvr
02-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Outahere, you are correct...The last report was from 0900 yesterday. Again, might be inaccurate seeing that they probably would have been at Castaway at 0900 and not out to sea. I'm not here to argue, just trying to shed some light...At any rate, I'm sure that Captain John has his hands full and has been on the ship to shore more times than he cares to remember.

Michelle, I'll take some quality photos for ya...We booked at Cat 11, deck 7. No Suite this time around...

outahere
02-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Outahere, you are correct...The last report was from 0900 yesterday. Again, might be inaccurate seeing that they probably would have been at Castaway at 0900 and not out to sea. I'm not here to argue, just trying to shed some light...At any rate, I'm sure that Captain John has his hands full and has been on the ship to shore more times than he cares to remember.

Keep in mind that the time they list is Greenwich time, so 0900 GMT would be 0400 Eastern time and they would not have been at CC yet.

shenaniganzz
02-13-2010, 02:40 PM
We're also on the Magic right now and here is what we have been told (by various people.. this is the summation)...

While we were on CC yesterday the pressure system from the storm caused an early high tide and when the tide went back out (early) we got stranded. So, there is a feeling that Disney is in fact somewhat responsible because they should have left at high tide... and maybe didn't because we had to leave Grand Cayman early. Apparently two of the props are damaged (from being dredged in the sand for a number of hours?) and that is making it more difficult to navigate which is why we cannot get out from between the breakwater and the pier.

So, trip insurance or not and whether or not Disney protected themselves in the contract is irrelevant to MY post as that's not why I am posting. Just stating what WE have been told so don't flame me or shoot the messenger.

Cheers!

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Michelle, I'll take some quality photos for ya...We booked at Cat 11, deck 7. No Suite this time around...

You booked inside???? I'm sure it was a great deal...

Just remember secret deck 7... :goodvibes Loved it and it felt like it was private when I was out there...

Keep in touch!!! :surfweb:

dday2022
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
"Apparently two of the props are damaged (from being dredged in the sand for a number of hours?) and that is making it more difficult to navigate which is why we cannot get out from between the breakwater and the pier."

If this is true, it's not good for those of us cruising in the next couple of weeks. Depending on how bad the damage is, it could take a dry dock to repair.

malonefamily
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
My family just took it's first ever cruise (we really enjoyed it), the 4-night Wonder 2/7-2/11... and boy oh boy was it WINDY! I was amazed and even felt a little guilty when Captain Gus made the ship-wide announcement during our day at sea (after we'd left a very windy Castaway Cay the day before) that due to sustained winds of over 35 knots he was pacing with the wind in the wrong direction for most of the day to keep the conditions on deck 9 and 10 as comfortable as possible. Eventually, he turned the ship around and charged against the headwind to make it back to port on time Thursday the 11th. I hate to think of all the wasted fuel traveling the wrong direction for so many hours just so we could play shuffleboard more comfortably! :lmao:

Having never been aboard a cruise ship I have no point of reference, but I was surprised at how much movement I felt aboard ship that last night in what I believe were 5-7 foot waves (if the rumors I heard were true). We can't wait to cruise again, and are trying to figure out when we can go next (probably be about 18 months before we get another chance).

I will mention that all of our Castaway Cay excursions were cancelled and it was too windy for most people to enjoy swimming, but it was nice to see the beautiful island anyhow... and it gives us something to look forward to next time. Hope everyone's safe and that the rumors of damage to the ship are wrong! I love those beautiful ships! (Why are all the other cruise ships so ugly, when the Magic and Wonder are such gorgeous things?)

sayhello
02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
"Apparently two of the props are damaged (from being dredged in the sand for a number of hours?) and that is making it more difficult to navigate which is why we cannot get out from between the breakwater and the pier."

If this is true, it's not good for those of us cruising in the next couple of weeks. Depending on how bad the damage is, it could take a dry dock to repair.And, at the very least, would make it doubtful the Magic would be sailing out again tomorrow...

Sayhello

Im_A_Princess
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Believe me she is re-docked. I am sitting here in my balcony and am staring at CC. I wish we were on our way. Passengers are speaking to eachother via-balcony. Too funny we are all out here. So much for my beer tasting activity, My husband said he couldn't miss this. I guess we should be hearing another announcement soon.

Thanks MickeyMom:)
I enjoy reading your updates from the ship:wizard:

Tink rules
02-13-2010, 03:15 PM
My family just took it's first ever cruise (we really enjoyed it), the 4-night Wonder 2/7-2/11... and boy oh boy was it WINDY! I was amazed and even felt a little guilty when Captain Gus made the ship-wide announcement during our day at sea (after we'd left a very windy Castaway Cay the day before) that due to sustained winds of over 35 knots he was pacing with the wind in the wrong direction for most of the day to keep the conditions on deck 9 and 10 as comfortable as possible. Eventually, he turned the ship around and charged against the headwind to make it back to port on time Thursday the 11th. I hate to think of all the wasted fuel traveling the wrong direction for so many hours just so we could play shuffleboard more comfortably! :lmao:

Having never been aboard a cruise ship I have no point of reference, but I was surprised at how much movement I felt aboard ship that last night in what I believe were 5-7 foot waves (if the rumors I heard were true). We can't wait to cruise again, and are trying to figure out when we can go next (probably be about 18 months before we get another chance).

I will mention that all of our Castaway Cay excursions were cancelled and it was too windy for most people to enjoy swimming, but it was nice to see the beautiful island anyhow... and it gives us something to look forward to next time. Hope everyone's safe and that the rumors of damage to the ship are wrong! I love those beautiful ships! (Why are all the other cruise ships so ugly, when the Magic and Wonder are such gorgeous things?)

Jan & Feb are always tougher times to sail... but sometimes it's just fine too...

And you have to cross the Florida straits to get back to PC... you might have felt that and also a bit more because of the weather...

But Disney does spoil you after the first cruise... I won't go on any other cruise line after spending 15 nights on board the PC repo... :lovestruc

shenaniganzz
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
We have already made a couple of attempts to leave and have had to re-dock.

There was also talk earlier of a tug coming from Freeport but weather is stopping it?

riggins
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
While we were on CC yesterday the pressure system from the storm caused an early high tide and when the tide went back out (early) we got stranded. So, there is a feeling that Disney is in fact somewhat responsible because they should have left at high tide... and maybe didn't because we had to leave Grand Cayman early. Apparently two of the props are damaged (from being dredged in the sand for a number of hours?) and that is making it more difficult to navigate which is why we cannot get out from between the breakwater and the pier.

I'm not trying to argue with shenaniganzz post, but is it really even possible that the timing of the tides could have caused any damage? I have absolutely no expertise on this topic, but if you've ever spent any time along the coast, you know that there are typically two high tides and two low tides each day, but the time of the highs/lows shifts by 15-20 minutes each day. So even over a short time span like a week, the time of high/low tide will change a lot. Since the ships dock at CC all year long and typically spends 8 hours there, they are bound to sit there during low tide fairly regulary. Does that make sense? Does anyone with any expertise on this topic have any thoughts?

shenaniganzz
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Looks like we made it out...

TinksDH
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm not trying to argue with shenaniganzz post, but is it really even possible that the timing of the tides could have caused any damage? I have absolutely no expertise on this topic, but if you've ever spent any time along the coast, you know that there are typically two high tides and two low tides each day, but the time of the highs/lows shifts by 15-20 minutes each day. So even over a short time span like a week, the time of high/low tide will change a lot. Since the ships dock at CC all year long and typically spends 8 hours there, they are bound to sit there during low tide fairly regulary. Does that make sense? Does anyone with any expertise on this topic have any thoughts?

I tend to agree with you, unless it was an incredibly low low tide. Those ships are routinely docked during a low tide. Someone on-board who posted earlier said that they weren't able to move sideways - maybe sand got into the bow thrusters and messed them up, as opposed to messing up the screws in the stern.

Lyndz
02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
keep us posted...feel for everyone from the ship right up to the pier...what a terrible situation....be safe

MrsMork
02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
There were other cruises that had to go to Galveston and stay for a couple of extra days because of a hurricane...

Hi Angie!!! Hope everyone gets home ok...

Howdy!! I think Miss Shanni Sweetpea is not horribly upset. They have a week at WDW planned after so no flights to miss.

That is awesome that they are working on resort accomodations, too. Unfortunately I think part of the "mess" will be trying to make things fair for everyone - like those that don't have transportation to Epcot and can't take advantage of those tickets OR those meal vouchers. Or those that have already found hotel rooms for tonight near the port. But DCL is definitely on the right track by doing all that they are doing so far!

I think Disney nor anyone else will ever be able to make it "fair for everyone". Too many definitions of fair and too many people in our world that really have a desparate need to place blame on someone.

A 20 percent refund

Now this seems very fair to all to me, but I am sure we will hear otherwise from some passengers. I am sure Miss Shanni Sweetpea will be thrilled with an extra night on the ship and 20% off her next cruise! :thumbsup2

debm
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Those of you that know your ship equipment---so is this something that will have to be fixed. These thrusters/props etc...... Will that affect those that are cruising in the next couple of weeks too? Is it likely that the ship will be out of commission for awhile? Or is this something that does happen commonly and they fix these things very routinely? I know nothing is known for sure but I'm just wanting to prepare myself..... Thanks!

Ebunny
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
The ships out? Yay if so! Any details if theres problems yet?

SplashMountainManiac
02-13-2010, 03:31 PM

I was thinking the same thing you were. The tides vary so the ships will sometimes leave at high tide and sometimes leave at low tide. I have even seen the ship leaving at low tide. The channel that Disney dredged is more then deep enough to accommodate the ships at low tide. The chance of one propellor being damaged is slim, the chance of both being damaged is even lower. The propellors and thrusters do not extend below the hull, so if something was digging in the sand, the actual hull of the ship would have been sitting on the sand, which is highly unlikely. I'm not sure what to believe here. If the Magic sets sail and the aft is shaking and vibrating like crazy, then I will believe that it is damaged. I sailed the Wonder during its prop damage and it shook and rattled terribly. I guess we will see.

02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Hang in there MickeyMom! You will have some great stories to share for years to come. I am the WORST, most impatient waiter in the entire world so I admire how calm you sound in your posts!!

Thank You ClawMachine! I am trying to be calm....My daughter who is in college that couldn't come is another story. She is not amused by this delay..lol..I am just sitting in my balcony working on a paper that is due when I get back on the Histocompatability Complex...:rotfl2:

SplashMountainManiac
02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank You ClawMachine! I am trying to be calm....My daughter who is in college that couldn't come is another story. She is not amused by this delay..lol..I am just sitting in my balcony working on a paper that is due when I get back on the Histocompatability Complex...:rotfl2:

Aside from the weather, how was your cruise? We are heading out on March 6th for the W. Caribbean. How was the weather the rest of the time?

02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
WE ARE ON THE MOVE.....:banana: ever so slowly though.....Yes, aghhhh I am so relieved. When Capt John played those horns, I jumped for joy!!!!!

Now about those other reports about the propellers, I have no idea and have not heard about that.....That one officer I spoke with didn't mention it, but that doesn't mean a thing. ;) I would just be fearful for the rest of our trip back and for those getting on in the morning....Please keep us in your prayers this ocean and wind combination is really scary....We are in for a hell of a night....Oh my here we go.....

Ebunny
02-13-2010, 03:49 PM
The weather really bad down there? Can you tell at all bout how shakey it is because of the.. whatever they were talking about? Was the parasailing cancelled? I always miss it when I go cause of the wind! :(

sayhello
02-13-2010, 03:50 PM
WE ARE ON THE MOVE.....:banana: ever so slowly though.....Yes, aghhhh I am so relieved. When Capt John played those horns, I jumped for joy!!!!!

Now about those other reports about the propellers, I have no idea and have not heard about that.....That one officer I spoke with didn't mention it, but that doesn't mean a thing. ;) I would just be fearful for the rest of our trip back and for those getting on in the morning....Please keep us in your prayers this ocean and wind combination is really scary....We are in for a hell of a night....Oh my here we go.....Glad you are on your way, finally! Fingers & toes crossed for all of you for a safe journey!

Sayhello

02-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Aside from the weather, how was your cruise? We are heading out on March 6th for the W. Caribbean. How was the weather the rest of the time?

The weather was great!!! A bit chilly at times for me especially in the keys but magically in Cozumel and GC it was as hot as can be.....Then once we were in the bahamas area again chilly willy....The kids as well as us had an AMAZING time and have finally experienced the "Disney Difference"!!

ferastu
02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Now about those other reports about the propellers, I have no idea and have not heard about that.....That one officer I spoke with didn't mention it, but that doesn't mean a thing. ;) I would just be fearful for the rest of our trip back and for those getting on in the morning....Please keep us in your prayers this ocean and wind combination is really scary....We are in for a hell of a night....Oh my here we go.....

Best wishes for smooth sailing. Remember you can drink enough to cancel out the ship movement with your own!

02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Best wishes for smooth sailing. Remember you can drink enough to cancel out the ship movement with your own!

:rotfl2:

bigturkey12
02-13-2010, 03:55 PM

please keep us posted checking very often for updates. will pray often also

TestTrackBoy
02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Karl Holtz, president of DCL just addressed all of us at the Wonders of Life pavillion in Epcot. He told all of us that the Magic had made it out of Castaway and that it was on it's way here. He said he was deeply sorry for all of this and that we would hopefully be setting sail at the normal time tomorrow.

christinou
02-13-2010, 04:48 PM
we are going on a cruise on RCCL Freedom the sea tomorrow and just drove to the port today, as we got to the bridge before Cape Canaveral I kept telling my kids look for the Magic it is in port right now, it was very strange not to see it there, and not realizing what has happened. My heart goes out to all of you who are delayed by 1 day. I know that DCL is doing its best, but I can imagine that it is still disppointing.

Tarabra
02-13-2010, 04:53 PM
How exciting for those that are onboard. Not so much for those that aren't onboard. Hopefully you have safe travels. Those arriving and those leaving. FTR...there was snow in 49 states yesterday. All except Hawaii, so bad weather everywhere.

truck1
02-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Funny.They said the same thing about great whites being in the bahamas too.(Jaws 4)

Not anchored.Its what they call station keeping.They can hit a button or 2 on the ship and the ships engines and thrusters will keep the ship in the exact same spot.They did it when they picked up Carnivals man overboard last August.They porb wouldnt drop a hook since theres a chance shed have to move in a hurry.

What else has Capt John had?
These are what I know for sure.
1. The Wonders aft lines parting during a severe storm in PC last jan of Feb.The aft end of the ship moved away from the dock, dropping not 1 but 3 gangways into the water.The main gangway was out of serivce for several weeks for repairs.
2.The Carnival Man overboard incident I was on the Wonder for at the end of August of last year.
3,Now this.
To top it off, he supposed to be the Capt on the Magic when my fiance and I get married in Oct of this year. Should be a fun trip.

We're also on the Magic right now and here is what we have been told (by various people.. this is the summation)...

So, trip insurance or not and whether or not Disney protected themselves in the contract is irrelevant to MY post as that's not why I am posting. Just stating what WE have been told so don't flame me or shoot the messenger.

Cheers!

With out getting into the how/if the props were damaged, the pier area of CC was dredged to accomadate both the Magic and the Wonder and then some. The only role the tide would play would be if it were running faster then normal and working with the wind to push the ship in an undesirable direction.Plus everytime the ships go in there, the do an unintended mini dredge. You can see the sand get kicked up by the thrusters, so Id be very doubtfull of the tide theory. Theres plenty of water under the ship at any given time to move when they want to move.ITs the same theory at PC or any other port.Ships come and go at all tides.

If this is true, it's not good for those of us cruising in the next couple of weeks. Depending on how bad the damage is, it could take a dry dock to repair.

Really depends. Shes due for a scheduled drydock period at the end of the med crusies this summer.If something is truly damaged then theyl eval the situation, then make a decision. If the problem(assuming there is one) is realtively stabil and not expected to get worse or affect anything else, they may let it go until then.

We have already made a couple of attempts to leave and have had to re-dock.

There was also talk earlier of a tug coming from Freeport but weather is stopping it?

Capts judgement if it would even help.They know the ship and what a tug can do, and they may not want a tug sitting nearby if they dont think it would help.It would be a waste of money.If they thought for a second a tug would have helped, they would have called for one from if not freeport then Nassau.

The only way a tide could damage a ship or running gear, would be if it worked with the wind and pushed the ship into something undesirable.Like rocks on the beach, the pier etc.

Those of you that know your ship equipment---so is this something that will have to be fixed. These thrusters/props etc...... Will that affect those that are cruising in the next couple of weeks too? Is it likely that the ship will be out of commission for awhile? Or is this something that does happen commonly and they fix these things very routinely? I know nothing is known for sure but I'm just wanting to prepare myself..... Thanks!

Assuming that something is actually damaged theres several different scenarios,and depends on what was damaged and how.If its the side thrusters, and the props themselves are fine, then they may just not use them and use tugs for a while until the next drydock period,or they get replacement parts to the ship.If its the props on the thrusters, they may still use them at slower speeds and augment them with a tug or 2.
If its the main props, the first thing they will do is put divers down to check the gear and see exactly what the issue is and then make a decision on what to do next.Its not unheard of for a ship to have damaged gear for a while if they have a planned dry dock coming up soon.

One thing I do know for sure is that anytime that something out of the ordinary happens, rumors are a dime a dozen.Theres at least 3 people right now that know the state of the running gear on the Magic.The Capt, the ChEng and who ever is in charge shoreside, and possibly Karl Holtz for 4.Well know fairly shortly if something is out of whack.

If theres anyone onboard at the moment, and plans to either watch the ship dock or stay onboard for a extended period before leaving, look at the where the thrusters, and the props are on the ship when shes tied up. if theres a boat and divers in the water, shes getting an inspection.If not, I wouldnt worry.

HallsofVA
02-13-2010, 06:38 PM
What else has Capt John had?
These are what I know for sure.
1. The Wonders aft lines parting during a severe storm in PC last jan of Feb.The aft end of the ship moved away from the dock, dropping not 1 but 3 gangways into the water.The main gangway was out of serivce for several weeks for repairs.

This was actually early December 2008. We got on the Magic at the end of that same week on December 6, 2008 and had to walk on at the dock level and take the elevators up to deck 3. Our room was on the terminal side of the ship and you could clearly see where the gangway was damaged. When we got off the Magic on Dec 13, 2008, they had fixed the gangway and we were able to exit normally.

Sccrmnky2005
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry for everyone that has gone through what they have today. I know DCL has tried their hardest to accomdate everyone and hope they can make everyone happy (which some won't be) but understand that it is not DCL fault they are doing this for the safety or their CM's and ESPECALLY their guests!

I hope for future cruises within the next few weeks that the Magic will not have to go in for repair so everyone can still enjoy their vacations, but if it does again it's safety reasons and Disney and DCL has always had safety as their TOP priority!!

Best of luck to everyone!!

bobbiwoz
02-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Karl Holtz, president of DCL just addressed all of us at the Wonders of Life pavillion in Epcot. He told all of us that the Magic had made it out of Castaway and that it was on it's way here. He said he was deeply sorry for all of this and that we would hopefully be setting sail at the normal time tomorrow.

Good! :thumbsup2

KelsiesMommy
02-13-2010, 07:04 PM

We were on the Wonder with you- our first cruise ever- and I was relieved to knowthat the rocking we experienced on or sea day and night weren't very typical. I get motion sickness easily- I had the patch on, ginger, sea bands and motionease and survived through or last dinner, but while in Wavebands fr Match You Mate, I could only stay for 5 minutes before I hadto get out of there- fell asleep with our verandah door open blowing cold air...

Worse for me has been getting my land legs- I feel sicker now than I did on the ship!

malonefamily
02-13-2010, 07:10 PM
We were on the Wonder with you- our first cruise ever- and I was relieved to knowthat the rocking we experienced on or sea day and night weren't very typical. I get motion sickness easily- I had the patch on, ginger, sea bands and motionease and survived through or last dinner, but while in Wavebands fr Match You Mate, I could only stay for 5 minutes before I hadto get out of there- fell asleep with our verandah door open blowing cold air...

Worse for me has been getting my land legs- I feel sicker now than I did on the ship!

I used the patch for the beginning of the trip, but actually took it off early on our day at sea- happy to report I didn't get sick. But like you, I've been a bit out of sorts getting used to dry land again. It's quite surprising how long it takes to stop feeling like the land is moving isn't it?

Any DISers around who were on the 2/7 sailing of the Wonder with enough experience to tell us how that trip compares to a typical cruise?

truck1
02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
This was actually early December 2008. We got on the Magic at the end of that same week on December 6, 2008 and had to walk on at the dock level and take the elevators up to deck 3. Our room was on the terminal side of the ship and you could clearly see where the gangway was damaged. When we got off the Magic on Dec 13, 2008, they had fixed the gangway and we were able to exit normally.

For some reason I thought it was Jan. 09 I was the acting officer on one of our enigines at the time at work when the same line came thru Winter Haven before it got to the port.We had several down power lines and tree limbs in our area that day.I have video of it somewhere.

MassDisLovers
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
We are supposed to be on the cruise. We stayed at Boardwalk last night and found out this morning that we were not going via our limo company. I have to say that DCL and WDW has been OUTSTANDING today. We were given a free 1 day ticket to EPCOT and a $15.00 Disney gift card for lunch. They set up an area with snacks , a internet cafe (that's where I am posting this from), and DCL employees to offer information. If you stayed on Disney property last night, they are putting you up there tonight. We are staying in a $470.00 Boardwalk room tonight. Due to the crowded weekend, they couldn't accommodate folks who had not stayed on property, but they put them in 5 star hotels in the Orlando area. They bussed people from the port area hotels so that they could take advantage of the day at EPCOT, and are sending them back to their hotels now. We were also each given another $15.00 gift card for breakfast tomorrow.

Once onboard,we will all be given a $100.00 per stateroom credit and $20.00 per person credit to compensate for any meals we had to purchase today. We will not be going to St. Maarten, so they will refund the port taxes for that island also. But the biggest news is... they are refunding 20% of the fare paid in the manner that you paid it (ie: credit card credit or cash).

This is NO ONES fault (weather!) and I think Disney has been very generous to us today.

pit303
02-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Actually it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving '08 I was on the Wonder during that cruise.

Tony94
02-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Heres some good links:

http://******************/x-22875-Orlando-Cruise-Vacations-Examiner~y2010m2d13-Disney-Magic-stuck-in-the-Bahamas

http://www.wesh.com/news/22555339/detail.html

clawmachine
02-13-2010, 07:28 PM
We are supposed to be on the cruise. We stayed at Boardwalk last night and found out this morning that we were not going via our limo company. I have to say that DCL and WDW has been OUTSTANDING today. We were given a free 1 day ticket to EPCOT and a $15.00 Disney gift card for lunch. They set up an area with snacks , a internet cafe (that's where I am posting this from), and DCL employees to offer information. If you stayed on Disney property last night, they are putting you up there tonight. We are staying in a $470.00 Boardwalk room tonight. Due to the crowded weekend, they couldn't accommodate folks who had not stayed on property, but they put them in 5 star hotels in the Orlando area. They bussed people from the port area hotels so that they could take advantage of the day at EPCOT, and are sending them back to their hotels now. We were also each given another $15.00 gift card for breakfast tomorrow.

Once onboard,we will all be given a $100.00 per stateroom credit and $20.00 per person credit to compensate for any meals we had to purchase today. We will not be going to St. Maarten, so they will refund the port taxes for that island also. But the biggest news is... they are refunding 20% of the fare paid in the manner that you paid it (ie: credit card credit or cash).

This is NO ONES fault (weather!) and I think Disney has been very generous to us today.

wow - you have a great attitude and I agree that DCL seems very generous! For us, that 20% back would mean a great deal of money (family of 5) and frankly, if they'd let us choose to sail for 6 days instead of 7, I'd take the money and run! lol. Hope you have a great trip tomorrow!!

camarks1234
02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I knew DCL would come through. Glad to hear this. We've been thinking of everyone today.

dday2022
02-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I just checked the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website, there is a gale warning for north of the Bahamas to Florida. Here is a snippet

N OF 27N WITHIN 240 NM W OF FRONT W TO NW WINDS 30 TO
40 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS 12 TO 22
IN NW SWELL. N OF 27N E OF FRONT S TO SW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS 12 TO 17 FT. ELSEWHERE W
OF FRONT NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 10 TO 17 FT IN NW SWELL NE
OF BAHAMAS...AND 4 TO 6 FT W OF BAHAMAS. FROM 24N TO 27 E OF
FRONT SW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT. ELSEWHERE N OF 21N
E OF FRONT SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW SWELL. S OF
21N E OF FRONT S TO S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW TO
N SWELL. NUMEROUS SHOWERS ALONG FRONT.

Basically 28 - 40 MPH winds, and rough seas, the actual wave heights could be 24 - 44 feet. Not going to be a pleasant ride for the folks on board. :sick:

Mickeyhugger
02-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I just checked the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website, there is a gale warning for north of the Bahamas to Florida. Here is a snippet

N OF 27N WITHIN 240 NM W OF FRONT W TO NW WINDS 30 TO
40 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS 12 TO 22
IN NW SWELL. N OF 27N E OF FRONT S TO SW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS 12 TO 17 FT. ELSEWHERE W
OF FRONT NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 10 TO 17 FT IN NW SWELL NE
OF BAHAMAS...AND 4 TO 6 FT W OF BAHAMAS. FROM 24N TO 27 E OF
FRONT SW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT. ELSEWHERE N OF 21N
E OF FRONT SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW SWELL. S OF
21N E OF FRONT S TO S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW TO
N SWELL. NUMEROUS SHOWERS ALONG FRONT.

Basically 28 - 40 MPH winds, and rough seas, the actual wave heights could be 24 - 44 feet. Not going to be a pleasant ride for the folks on board. :sick:

Sadly this is going to be one ROUGH ride:scared1:

Rob

js
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM

So sorry to hear about your cruise but I hope you enjoy it once you are on.

Can I ask you or anyone that is reading this and "paid" for the cruise with DVC points, do you know how you will be compensated with the 20%? I wonder if they give you back 20% of your points.
Again, I wish you a very smooth cruise and think DCL did the best they could do in this event. What more could they have possibly done? At least you're at the BW :goodvibes Enjoy!

nemofans
02-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Is this normal for Feb???? We are taking our 1st cruise ever next Feb & this worries me.

ferastu
02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Just drove back into the Country Inn & Suites and heard a ship's horn. Any chance it is the Magic? Or is it too soon?

txvjc
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
For those that were delayed, has there been any word yet on what time they will begin taking you to the port/what time the ship will be leaving tomorrow? I live about 10 minutes from the port and would love to see both ships at the same time tomorrow.

truck1
02-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Just drove back into the Country Inn & Suites and heard a ship's horn. Any chance it is the Magic? Or is it too soon?

Ill look in a sec but prob too soon. I think she only left at 430 (or 630)and they were expecting a 13 hour ride back mostly due to weather.

truck1
02-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Is this normal for Feb???? We are taking our 1st cruise ever next Feb & this worries me.

For a ship to get stuck at an island due to weather no. For the weather to be iffy then yes.For the most part, the weather is balmy, and only will last for a few hours at most. This is just an unusual situation that occurs rarely.

Kubistaa
02-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Working as a crew for DCL. The latest returning time has been confirmed, from one of my college, few moments ago and the Disney Magic is suppose to dock in Port Canaveral at 5am on Sunday 14th.
The ship left the Castaway cay at 4.30pm on Saturday 13th.
We are all waiting here in Orlando from Friday to board the ship and exchange some of our colleges. The boarding time will remain the same time as it would be Saturday, so I would not expect the boarding starting before 12pm.

Have all good and quiet night. ;)

IndyDisneyFan
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
We have sailed 4 different dates in Feb. and have been lucky every time. The weather was warm and sunny but the water was a bit chilly in the Atlantic. Sometimes Florida has been a bit chilly. We set sail two weeks from today so hopefully today's problem won't repeat itself!

Laura

shenaniganzz
02-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, we are still cruising along. There is rattling - it sounds like a tray of dishes being pushed down the hall (we are on 2). But it isn't crazy loud. The ship is bumpy but not terribly so. I think we have an ETA of about 4am.

MrsMork
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Very nice of Disney. :thumbsup2

Working as a crew for DCL. The latest returning time has been confirmed, from one of my college, few moments ago and the Disney Magic is suppose to dock in Port Canaveral at 5am on Sunday 14th.
We are all waiting here in Orlando from Friday to board the ship and exchange some of our colleges. The boarding time will remain the same time as it would be Saturday, so I would not expect the boarding starting before 12pm.

So nice of you to post this info for us. Miss Shanni Sweetpea and her hubby Tristan will be celebrating their 10th anniversary tomorrow morning when they get back to port. :lovestruc An anniversary they will remember!

5lilfish
02-13-2010, 09:41 PM
We're on the next cruise too. I think Disney has done a fantastic job. We had a great day. We found out early this morning and decided to make the best of it...it is what it is and there was no sense letting it get the best of us. So we decided to buy tickets and go to Epcot. After we bought our tix we found out Disney was giving us free tickets to Epcot (they gave us a refund). Disney really went out of their way to help all of us. We ended up having a great day at Epcot. They gave us: $15 gift cards/person, hotel (connecting suites)...with free breakfast tomorrow, $20 credit per person to help with any extra costs, $100 room credit, 20% return on our cruise price, tax refund. They set up the old Wonders of Life pavillion in Epcot for us and basically ran a carnival there all day. They had characters, snacks, ice cream, popcorn, drinks (tea, coffee, pop, juice, beer). They did free charactatures (sp?), dance music, (think I saw face painting too) etc. Plus they promised extra activities onboard. I was very impressed.

Jess

Mineu
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
If you were on Disney property last night-they kept you there-if not, we were sent to caribe royale, omni rosen, and shingle creek-all pre-assigned-all very nice! They have really gone out of their way to accomodate us today-we've enjoyed the day! They are picking us up by hotel-10:30, 11:00 and 11:30. We paid with points-they're not sure how they will give us the 20 percent refund yet. I was not expecting all that they have done so far-so anything else will be way over the top!

TChrist05
02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Disney has always done things right....and the weather is probably the only thing Disney cannot control. They have abundent resourses that other cruise lines don't have......they have Disney World.....
We have cruised Disney 22 times and have yet to have a bad cruise....enjoy your shortened but great Disney cruise!
Tom

barbarasc
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Wishing for a little extra Pixie Dust for GREAT WEATHER, CALM SEAS and lots of Sunshine tomorrow as we board the Disney Magic and for those boarding the Wonder too!!! :tink:

Tink rules
02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Well tonights a good night for the stabilizers... probably rocky but they will all have stories to tell... :rolleyes:

MeowyCat
02-14-2010, 04:15 AM

Thanks for the update, MassDisLovers! Have a GREAT trip!

su_kraft
02-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Happened to be up - 5:30 and one of the ships is in port.

disfaninca
02-14-2010, 04:45 AM
Yeah. I saw that too. I'm watching the other one sail into port right now

http://www.cocoabeachsurf.com/BeachCam1.htm

disfaninca
02-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Now they are both in port. It will be a treat to watch them both leave today!

luv that cruise
02-14-2010, 05:22 AM
where are each at? i suppose to turn over both ships they will need to borrow another terminal, berth. just curious.

Riddlers
02-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Which ever ship you can see, it is pulled forward a lot more than it is usually. You can usually only ever see front tip. Some one move the freedom so we can see more please!!!!

ferastu
02-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Now they are both in port. It will be a treat to watch them both leave today!

Great news I can't make out either from the 4th floorof the Country Inn. I believe it is the Freedom that is blocking the view.

Panther007
02-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Too bad you cant see the Magic in any of the webcams. I can only see the Wonder.

love2driveinct
02-14-2010, 07:06 AM
I am on the Magic right now and it appears we are at a different terminal down the road from DCL's terminal. Debarkation has yet to begin, and there was yet another medical emergency as someone just came off the ship and left on an ambulance. This is the fifth that I know of on this cruise, including a child that was airlifted from Castaway Cay a couple of hours before we were supposed to leave.

It's been a weird couple of days, but the crew was excellent yesterday. A full day of activities was put together (they gave us a navigator!). Even the comedy entertainers put together a show for us last night in the WDT.

antkim
02-14-2010, 07:10 AM
I am on the Magic right now and it appears we are at a different terminal down the road from DCL's terminal. Debarkation has yet to begin, and there was yet another medical emergency as someone just came off the ship and left on an ambulance. This is the fifth that I know of on this cruise, including a child that was airlifted from Castaway Cay a couple of hours before we were supposed to leave.

It's been a weird couple of days, but the crew was excellent yesterday. A full day of activities was put together (they gave us a navigator!). Even the comedy entertainers put together a show for us last night in the WDT.

WOW!!! 5 medical emergencies???? Do you know what happened to the child? What a strange cruise that must have been!

tigger2002
02-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Too bad you cant see the Magic in any of the webcams. I can only see the Wonder.

Where are the ships? >>>(Live map)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link that shows where ALL ships around the world are at. It gives their location and speed. You can hover over the diamond shape and it will tell you the name of the ship. Just double-click to zoom in (powered by Google). It is "Real Time".

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

<<

ibouncetoo
02-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting. I know my head server from my cruise a couple of weeks ago, Simone, was supposed to return home to Italy after this cruise.

To you and all the cast members returning to (or joining) the Magic crew, safe sailing and I'll see you on board in eight weeks! :wave:

RanCan
02-14-2010, 07:24 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link that shows where ALL ships around the world are at. It gives their location and speed. You can hover over the diamond shape and it will tell you the name of the ship. Just double-click to zoom in (powered by Google). It is "Real Time".

<<

What a great website..Thanks

realfam
02-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Very cool website!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing it:thumbsup2

<<

Panther007
02-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for that link. I actually just found it this morning. Found out through there where the magic is. Too bad there aren't any webcams

TestTrackBoy
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Sitting here at the DCL terminal. They are letting us park here, then they will bus us over to the terminal that the Magic is at. Have to wait till 12 before they will start this.

Verandah Man
02-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Following along on your journey, wishing you a MAGICal time, even though you are having a shaky start.

shinez
02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
So, any news on the ship? How are the props? Is she okay? Hope you guys have no more problems...:thumbsup2 Good luck!!!

We are (hopefully) headed down for the 2/20 sailing:yay:...fingers crossed! At this point, who cares if it's going to be cold, I just want to sail!! Have a Bahama Mama for us!

Kay1
02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
5 medical emergencies? Talk about an unforgettable cruise. :confused:

Sounds like Disney did a great job handling things in a tough situation.

:)

zulemara
02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
I vote for a horn contest between the magic and the wonder!

Panther007
02-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Me too and it posted on YouTube for us to see and hear.

Wachsdds
02-14-2010, 10:54 AM
We made it on board the Magic. DCL really does not have the situation under control. They weren't ready to receive anybody and didn't know what to do with passengers and luggage for the Magic. We used a secondary terminal that is already having glitches. We were lucky to get here early and be among the first to board. At least, now we're sitting at Parrot Cay!

sayhello
02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
We made it on board the Magic. DCL really does not have the situation under control. They weren't ready to receive anybody and didn't know what to do with passengers and luggage for the Magic. We used a secondary terminal that is already having glitches. We were lucky to get here early and be among the first to board. At least, now we're sitting at Parrot Cay!Congrats! I hope you all have a fabulous cruise!

Sayhello

nails62040
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sure this can't be said enough....do yourself a favor and purchase travel insurance. Don't always think that purchasing through the cruise line is the best, check out all avenues of travel insurance. We just got off the magic one week ago - I keep thinking what if we had planned our travels for this past week....wow - my heart goes out to all those who are working on this issue. Kudos to the crew and cm's, not only on the ship, but those working so diligently at the terminal and resorts, to make sure everyone is comfortable.

Tink rules
02-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting. I know my head server from my cruise a couple of weeks ago, Simone, was supposed to return home to Italy after this cruise.

To you and all the cast members returning to (or joining) the Magic crew, safe sailing and I'll see you on board in eight weeks! :wave:

Jackie... my sincerest sympathies... will he be back in time for your jouney???

:banana: :banana: :banana:

We made it on board the Magic. DCL really does not have the situation under control. They weren't ready to receive anybody and didn't know what to do with passengers and luggage for the Magic. We used a secondary terminal that is already having glitches. We were lucky to get here early and be among the first to board. At least, now we're sitting at Parrot Cay!

I think under the circumstances... they did very good...:thumbsup2

KrisannB
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM

They did that in October and it was really cool to hear it.

Krisann

tvguy
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm sure this can't be said enough....do yourself a favor and purchase travel insurance. Don't always think that purchasing through the cruise line is the best, check out all avenues of travel insurance. We just got off the magic one week ago - I keep thinking what if we had planned our travels for this past week....wow - my heart goes out to all those who are working on this issue. Kudos to the crew and cm's, not only on the ship, but those working so diligently at the terminal and resorts, to make sure everyone is comfortable.

I'll love anyone who files a claim on this trip to post how that goes.
We had travel insurance on our Disney cruise (only one of 8 cruises we got it on), and frankly, since our airline tickets were fully refundable, I'm not sure what I could file a claim for. I wouldn't have had any losses.

NancyIL
02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I'll love anyone who files a claim on this trip to post how that goes.
We had travel insurance on our Disney cruise (only one of 8 cruises we got it on), and frankly, since our airline tickets were fully refundable, I'm not sure what I could file a claim for. I wouldn't have had any losses.

Most plane tickets are not fully refundable. In addition to a change fee, you would pay the difference in airfare to rebook flights. For people on the Magic who have to reschedule their flights home, the new fare is undoubtedly much higher than the airfare originally booked. And for those unable to fly home today, trip insurance would reimburse them for hotel and meal costs incurred while waiting to fly home.

ibouncetoo
02-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Jackie... my sincerest sympathies... will he be back in time for your jouney???

It's Monica who will need your sympathy. He gets back on the ship the day we get off! (I belive that is correct)

101DalmFan
02-14-2010, 01:36 PM
If anyone is familiar with the area, the Magic is down by Jetty Park.....directly beside the dock for the casino ships. We saw her today when we went out for lunch. I'm hoping she and the Wonder leave close together so I can get a picture! (We "live" here every February and the condo is in Cape Canaveral, directly on the ocean....we always see the cruise ships leaving.....)

If I manage to get a decent photo, I'll let everyone know :goodvibes

Panther007
02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
If I manage to get a decent photo, I'll let everyone know :goodvibes

Thank you. I have been looking for pictures or webcams that show it all day.

TIGGER/POOH4
02-14-2010, 01:50 PM
There is a picture of the Magic at PC this morning over on Cruise Critric

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142564&page=3

Panther007
02-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Awesome photo! thank you for sharing it.

Kim&Chris
02-14-2010, 02:05 PM
There is a picture of the Magic at PC this morning over on Cruise Critric

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142564&page=3

You can see the Wonder peeking over in the background :cutie:

MRS_RMM
02-14-2010, 02:21 PM
We just got off the Wonder today, and it was a sight to see both the Wonder and Magic at the port. I tried getting a picture, but DH was driving too fast for me to get a good shot.

Our Castaway Cay day was turned into a Day at Sea. The whole ship was buzzing about the Magic. We were lucky that the captain found a nice spot to anchor for the day, so we felt little motion. Thank you stabilizers!!!

Last night was another story... but we all made it home safe and sound. :goodvibes

MagicMe
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I feel bad for the Magic cruisers. They missed a day from their cruise and now they don't get the Magic of entering the ship through the ears! I would have they'd have given the terminal to the Magic.

ktjl92
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I feel bad for the Magic cruisers. They missed a day from their cruise and now they don't get the Magic of entering the ship through the ears! I would have they'd have given the terminal to the Magic.

I imagine they let the Wonder have the terminal as it was 'her' day and those folks getting on had no interruptions/issues with their cruise. The Magic embarkers were already disrupted. No need to disrupt a different set of guests.

mmouse37
02-14-2010, 02:39 PM

We had our 7 day cruise turn into a 4 day cruise back in 2004....we had to board in Ft. Lauderdale instead of PC due to Hurricane Jeanne. We still felt the "Magic" even though we did not board through the ears!!!

MJ

grlzmom
02-14-2010, 05:15 PM

We are on the TA with you :) Simone is my daughters favorite and I hope he gets home quickly and safely (along with everyone else), he is supposed to be back for the First MED on April 24th.

Presentation
02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
As of right now, 6:20 PM Florida time....

Per the AIS data from the ship:

Disney Wonder is about 10 miles away from the port, traveling at 18.7 knots, behind the Carnival Sensation but in front of the Freedom of the Seas.

Disney Magic is at 0 knots and is still at the dock.

Panther007
02-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Magic is leaving port already

Tinkermom3
02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
As of right now, 6:20 PM Florida time....

Per the AIS data from the ship:

Disney Wonder is about 10 miles away from the port, traveling at 18.7 knots, behind the Carnival Sensation but in front of the Freedom of the Seas.

Disney Magic is at 0 knots and is still at the dock.

I wonder why the Magic is still at the dock??? Hope there are not more issues!

Presentation
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
The Magic is moving!!!!

Panther007
02-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I wonder why the Magic is still at the dock??? Hope there are not more issues!

The AIS site was kind of slow and not 100% correct.

Presentation
02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I always thought the AIS data was live but there must be a delay of a few minutes.

The first I saw the Disney Magic move on the AIS screen was 6:22PM Florida time.

That last update at 6:26 has them heading to see at 8.1 knots.

FrostMommy
02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Me, hubby, and our kids just got off the Magic today and we are currently staying in a Florida hotel since we cannot get a flight home until Tuesday. Ugh. What we thought was interesting about the Magic being stuck was that the ship was pulled in front first, instead of being backed in which I understood to be the more common way of docking at Castaway Cay. On our past cruise it was backed into dock. How common is it for the ship to be docked this way?

Jillpie
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Me, hubby, and our kids just got off the Magic today and we are currently staying in a Florida hotel since we cannot get a flight home until Tuesday. Ugh. What we thought was interesting about the Magic being stuck was that the ship was pulled in front first, instead of being backed in which I understood to be the more common way of docking at Castaway Cay. On our past cruise it was backed into dock. How common is it for the ship to be docked this way?

Please tell us about the whole experience stuck at CC? Was it scary, fun, did they treat you nicely? Was the trip back awful or did you sleep the whole night? Please tell us everything. Thanks!

epcotrulz
02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Please tell us about the whole experience stuck at CC? Was it scary, fun, did they treat you nicely? Was the trip back awful or did you sleep the whole night? Please tell us everything. Thanks!

ditto . . . i was wondering what the dinner situation was like -- did they have enough for a full menu dinner since they load all the food at PC??

Lyndz
02-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I was wondering how the ride north was...?

TChrist05
02-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Stuck in a Florida hotel? Is DCL footing the bill? Too bad they did not bring you back to Disney World and give you passes to the parks....let us know how everything went.
Tom

Tink rules
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM

They dock both ways... I don't know if it would have bothered either way with the weather...

ditto . . . i was wondering what the dinner situation was like -- did they have enough for a full menu dinner since they load all the food at PC??

The ships carry much more food than you think... I did the PC repo... and they provisioned along the way...

jessica52877
02-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I was on the Magic while we were stuck at CC. For now I'll leave it at it was handled as well as could be expected probably. Some things were super smooth (food and luggage) and others were total chaos (our entire morning). Disney couldn't help the weather but they also weren't too much help in other ways. Communication, or lack of, was the biggest issue for us. We had no idea what was going on 99% of the time. LONG lines at guest services. I guess some people were calling for free. We were never informed. Not sure where we would be pulling in this morning at 10 pm last night.

We drove so it wasn't a huge issue and I didn't need much info but the little I would have liked no one had any idea.

I don't feel as if disney went out of their way what so ever though (atleast for us).

eta - the luggage we did get back but mine now has a HUGE rip down it. Surprised I could pack it up again. Never seen it handled worse in my life and it was hardly handled. I believe some folks were none to happy to have to redeliver. I also had a pretty good idea that it was a BAD idea to take the luggage in the first place. We weren't going any where any time soon at that point.

misseulalie
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
I was on the Magic while we were stuck at CC. For now I'll leave it at it was handled as well as could be expected probably. Some things were super smooth (food and luggage) and others were total chaos (our entire morning). Disney couldn't help the weather but they also weren't too much help in other ways. Communication, or lack of, was the biggest issue for us. We had no idea what was going on 99% of the time. LONG lines at guest services. I guess some people were calling for free. We were never informed. Not sure where we would be pulling in this morning at 10 pm last night.

We drove so it wasn't a huge issue and I didn't need much info but the little I would have liked no one had any idea.

I don't feel as if disney went out of their way what so ever though (atleast for us).

eta - the luggage we did get back but mine now has a HUGE rip down it. Surprised I could pack it up again. Never seen it handled worse in my life and it was hardly handled. I believe some folks were none to happy to have to redeliver. I also had a pretty good idea that it was a BAD idea to take the luggage in the first place. We weren't going any where any time soon at that point.

How high were the swells? We had 20 foot swells on the Transatlantic and it was pretty bad. People were throwing up all over the place:sick:

Of course we had no choice..no place to dock in the middle of the Atlantic!

caribear
02-14-2010, 09:14 PM

I was also on the Feb 6th sailing of the Magic. What a cruise it turned out to be!! As for the food....we went on the Galley tour and was told that on a 7-night cruise they always have enough food for 10 nights. We had the same dinner menu as night 4. The ship was rocking and rolling more when we were docked in Castaway Cay than any other night. I had to remove the hangers from our closet as they kept banging into one another.

jessica52877
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
The hangers were incredibly annoying but I had to asjust them within the first night or two. I am not sure how bad the swells were. Our trip back to the port was the smoothest I have ever had (5th sailing on Disney) and I was more then surprised. I don't know of anyone who was sick (sure there were some) but it seemed not so bad being docked at CC and I couldn't believe it once we took off and no issues.

The food was the same as we had our 4th night like caribear said. I was not so impressed with that meal and actually they got me one from AP (we were in PC). That made me happy. Although I would have been fine with a boring chicken breast. Just was getting really tired of cruise food.

TestTrackBoy
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Just got back from our dinner in Parrot Cay. While I will be the first to admit that today was not the best and that things were not 100% together, the cast members have been more than accommodating. We did not pull out on time because all of the luggage and supplies were not loaded on.

Here is a photo of the Wonder passing us in port:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/4357707509_fc0daf3271_b_d.jpg

Have a goodnight everyone!

marlower
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Just got back from our dinner in Parrot Cay. While I will be the first to admit that today was not the best and that things were not 100% together, the cast members have been more than accommodating. We did not pull out on time because all of the luggage and supplies were not loaded on.

Here is a photo of the Wonder passing us in port:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/4357707509_fc0daf3271_b_d.jpg

Have a goodnight everyone!

That picture is amazing!! Have a "Magic"al time!!

TestTrackBoy
02-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions while I'm onboard and follow my twitter for updates.

@DCLUPDATES

ppiew
02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
did u have any dueling horns?

TestTrackBoy
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that Tom Bergeron (host of America's Funniest Home Videos and Dancing with the Stars) is on the ship with us. He will be filming some spots for AFV that will air May 16th and 26th on ABC. I ran into him twice and he was very nice and posed for a picture.

TestTrackBoy
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
did u have any dueling horns?

We did not...and I wish we did. :confused3

TinksDH
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions while I'm onboard and follow my twitter for updates.

@DCLUPDATES

Great shot! Good luck on your cruise!

jessica52877
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that Tom Bergeron (host of America's Funniest Home Videos and Dancing with the Stars) is on the ship with us. He will be filming some spots for AFV that will air May 16th and 26th on ABC. I ran into him twice and he was very nice and posed for a picture.

That is interesting. DH just asked me the other day when we were notified we would be sailing with Jim Belushi (did I spell that right) and them filming According to Jim back in 2005 (or was it 2004?). We discussed how I hadn't seen anything filmed onboard lately.

MrsMork
02-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Stuck in a Florida hotel? Is DCL footing the bill? Too bad they did not bring you back to Disney World and give you passes to the parks....let us know how everything went.
Tom

?????:confused3 Trip insurance would pay for this as well as the cost of changing the flights.

mamakdjco
02-15-2010, 01:29 AM

I agree that some things were fabulous and others not. I do think they could have done better on some aspects, but overall they did really well. We'll be sailing DCL again, that's for sure! For the vast majority of the time (see below) we never felt like we had overstayed our welcome. Luggage was returned to us around 7am yesterday, which was nice. I felt sorry for the stateroom hosts/hostesses who must have felt like all they did was move luggage for 24 hours, though. We knew by about 9:30am that we would be staying on the ship for the night, as even if we left in the next hour of two, they would not disembark us and embark the next cruise that late at night. At that point I felt horrible for the 2/13 cruise, but with all the kids on the ship, I'm sure there were a lot of relieved parents like myself to know that they wouldn't have us leave at a weird hour. That alone really helped us relax a bit. The entertainment schedule they came up with for the day was great! Lots of characters in action. Kids clubs in full swing. We had quite an enjoyable day! The impromptu show at night was pretty good considering the two comedians had less than a day to prepare it. Dinner was nice (and a bonus for us because it was the menu we had missed on our Palo night). All in all, I felt that the things that would happen on a typical cruise day were typical Disney and wonderful. One note... it was interesting to watch the crew and cast members also stop what they were doing whenever we received a PA update from Captain John or Peter during our extra time on the ship, since they usually work right through them. That and to watch them stop on deck and look out in bewilderment throughout the day.

However, I was surprised at how poorly they handled crowd control and communication, which are generally things Disney excels at. Yesterday, while everyone was waiting in lines for phones, it wasn't obvious that those lines were just for phones - you could go right up to talk to a crew member at the desk if you wanted something other than the phone. I would have expected them to create two lines. Even though people waited in the phone lines for hours and hours, it took them most of the day before they brought any chairs out. I'm sure DCL couldn't have anticipated how long each person would be on the phone, but they seemed slow to respond to the fact that the lines were hours long. Letting everyone know that cell phone or internet service would be free would have gone a long way to relieve some stress and frustration. I've heard varied reports that both of those things were told to some guests, but we were charged for internet yesterday.

And then, quite honestly, a portion of this morning was horrible. Granted, some of it was not DCL's fault... a certain amount was due to guests' behavior (there were repeated pleas over the PA for guests to clear certain areas to make way for crew and customs officials plus there was the general frustration in the air). And, some of it was because we were trying to make an earlier flight (11:15 - that we ultimately missed). However, it was the only time during our extra stay that I really felt like the crew had given up and just wanted us off the ship. Up until about 9am, I had felt that they were wonderful and continued to be welcoming. At some point, it turned and while I certainly understand that that really wanted to welcome this week's cruise on board, the kick I felt on the way out today was not pleasant. And that doesn't even include the complete chaos that were the luggage areas in the terminal and porters pushing their way through anyone carrying their own bags, including the one who smashed my sons fingers between their rack and his backpack.

In fairness, I do think they may have had a plan for this morning didn't work out for whatever reason. When we asked a crew member, we were told at 11pm last night that disembarkation time was up in the air due to customs, so we were prepared for uncertainty. We were told to have an extra of our color/character-coded luggage tags, but not told why. However, we never needed them. I overhead a crew member trying to explain to a guest that DCL had a plan, but somehow how customs was working at this location wouldn't allow them to execute the plan. Not sure, though, as I was a few people away in a moving herd.

Some other things that surprised me for Disney and would have frustrated me with any carrier..
We didn't swipe KTTW cards on our way off the ship.
We didn't show passports at any point, even though we were reminded as late as 30 minutes before disembarkation to have them ready.
The lines for buses to the parks, airport, etc. were confusing with various port workers and Disney cast members directing people to conflicting places.
Some Disney cast members appeared to be working to load multiple buses to the airport at the same time, but the bus drivers seemed to not want to work with them.

Final note, if anyone has a picture of the starboard side of the ship where the crew was re-painting when we disembarked, please post it. I don't have one, but that sight told a huge part of the story as to why safety was first and we didn't/couldn't leave. There were huge scrapes all along the side from our windy night at CC.

Verandah Man
02-15-2010, 05:23 AM

Ditto that!!! My family will be sailing on the Wonder in April for the first time, love this pic!!! :thumbsup2

Verandah Man
02-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Cool ;)

kcashner
02-15-2010, 05:53 AM
, but the bus drivers seemed to not want to work with them.

This was exactly our experience on the hurricane Jeanne cruise. The bus driver was openly arguing with the CM in charge of loading the buses. What's their issue? THey can't appreciate that there needs to be ONE person in charge?

caribear
02-15-2010, 08:49 AM
And then, quite honestly, a portion of this morning was horrible. Granted, some of it was not DCL's fault... a certain amount was due to guests' behavior (there were repeated pleas over the PA for guests to clear certain areas to make way for crew and customs officials plus there was the general frustration in the air). And, some of it was because we were trying to make an earlier flight (11:15 - that we ultimately missed). However, it was the only time during our extra stay that I really felt like the crew had given up and just wanted us off the ship. Up until about 9am, I had felt that they were wonderful and continued to be welcoming. At some point, it turned and while I certainly understand that that really wanted to welcome this week's cruise on board, the kick I felt on the way out today was not pleasant. And that doesn't even include the complete chaos that were the luggage areas in the terminal and porters pushing their way through anyone carrying their own bags, including the one who smashed my sons fingers between their rack and his backpack.

In fairness, I do think they may have had a plan for this morning didn't work out for whatever reason. When we asked a crew member, we were told at 11pm last night that disembarkation time was up in the air due to customs, so we were prepared for uncertainty. We were told to have an extra of our color/character-coded luggage tags, but not told why. However, we never needed them. I overhead a crew member trying to explain to a guest that DCL had a plan, but somehow how customs was working at this location wouldn't allow them to execute the plan. Not sure, though, as I was a few people away in a moving herd.

Some other things that surprised me for Disney and would have frustrated me with any carrier..
We didn't swipe KTTW cards on our way off the ship.
We didn't show passports at any point, even though we were reminded as late as 30 minutes before disembarkation to have them ready.
The lines for buses to the parks, airport, etc. were confusing with various port workers and Disney cast members directing people to conflicting places.
Some Disney cast members appeared to be working to load multiple buses to the airport at the same time, but the bus drivers seemed to not want to work with them.

Final note, if anyone has a picture of the starboard side of the ship where the crew was re-painting when we disembarked, please post it. I don't have one, but that sight told a huge part of the story as to why safety was first and we didn't/couldn't leave. There were huge scrapes all along the side from our windy night at CC.

Once we debarked it did get a little crazy...and disorganized. There were very few porters available, but if you did happen to find one then they would push their way to the front of the "lines"......bypassing everyone else waiting for a bus. For the most part the lines moved pretty fast....except for our group trying to get back to the parking lot. They were so disorganized...there was no line...just everyone trying to push their way onto a bus...many people complained...some paid $20 for a taxi to take them to their car at the Disney terminal!! We were the last ones to leave the parking lot....along with several CM's from the Magic who had a couple of hours off the ship.

I did see the paint on the side of the ship....instead of dark blue the paint had been rubbed off from rubbing against the square bouy-type things at the dock in Castaway Cay.....it was now light blue. Wonder if they had time to repaint with everything else going on?