PDA

View Full Version : Back to back cruises vs 7 day cruise

MK032197
02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I was reading how some people book back to back 3/4 night cruises as opposed to booking a 7 night cruise. What are the advantages and disadvantage of this as I had never thought about it before!

TnRobin
02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
We have done this once and plan to do it again next year. I can only give you my reasons for doing this.

The last time it was so that we could do the DVC member cruise with just DH and I. Then DS and friend joined us for a 3 day cruise afterwards. It gave us the chance to have a romantic portion to our vacation and then a family portion.

For our next BTB, it is solely to be on the Dream. I would much rather go to another destination, but I want to sail the Dream next year. It is during DS spring break, so we are avoiding the parks, thus it is BTB cruise for us.

kcashner
02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
The reason I did a 4/3 rather than a 7 was that I couldn't get to Orlando in time for a Saturday departure. In addition, all my previous cruises had been on the Magic, so there was something to be said for seeing the Wonder. The crew on the Wonder was great--many were old friends from the Magic. However, I wouldn't choose to do it again.

Advantages--2 Palo if desired, 2 pirate nights, 2 sail away, 2 Castaway days, Christiaan as cruise director.

Disadvantages--2 safety drills, the "transition" day is largely a lost day, repeats of all menus, shows, activities, etc. Wonder has fewer activities than Magic due to fewer sea days. Port is Nassau (groan). I'll likely get flamed for this, but the guests on the 3 night sailings are just different--more intense, trying to cram "everything" into too short a time, feeling that this is their only cruise, etc.

I prefer the 7 night sailings--increased activities, more repeat cruisers, more relaxed.

Costs for us were actually cheaper on the 4/3 than a 7 night the same week (but not by much!). Other times, the 7 night is cheaper...it just depends.

joksten2000
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Booking a 4/3 B2B will cost more than a 7 day cruise. We have done a couple 7 day B2B and have a 5/4 B2B scheduled in July 2011 on the Dream for 2,162 points, a 7 day would be around 1,100 points Money wise the 5/4 is about $17,000 a seven day would be $8,500. That's three cabins and nine people. Plus there are no seven day east coast cruises available till 2012