PDA

View Full Version : Costs of DCL cruises

ychcjbn1
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
We booked our first DCL cruise for April and we took advantage of the "Kids Sail Free" offer. We have 3 kids so there is no way we'd be able to afford this cruise without this great deal. So I'm looking at all of these posts and notice that some of you have booked cruises for this year and next year, etc. Do you all know of some great deals that I don't know about? I looked at booking another cruise (5 day) for December 2011 on the Dream and it's like $8,000! I don't really want to know what you are paying for your cruises, just wondering if you know of any deals or specials.

kcashner
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Without the kids free, you'd find it cheaper on many cruises to book 2 cabins....with kids your ages, you'd need connecting cabins which currently start at cat 10. The "trick" is to book cat 12s when available--frequently very inexpensively. Another thought in your situation would be to consider whether you'd want to sail with grandparents or other friends/family and could book one child into their cabin (thus allowing you to book much cheaper cabins than the cat 4 you now need.) I took 6 people for a week for less than $4000 total cruise fare, taxes, etc. That was booked as 2 cat 12s.

cathyalby
02-10-2010, 09:13 PM
We have had the same issue: 3 kids, teachers salaries= no DCL- no one in our family who is a couple wants to go on a DC, so we still wouldn't be able to afford it with the kids sail free option. However, we are booked for the DREAM in Sept. 2011! Two, Cat 11 connecting cabins- almost all of them are connecting on the DREAM. $299/ first 2 people per room. $209 after that. It is only a 3 day cruise, but this will be the best we'll get. It's still $1640.85 for the 5 of us, and to me, that's a lot of money for only 3 days. We were able to go the USVI for 9 days for $2000.... but the kids dream of the DREAM and the Aquaduck and Cataway Cay, so we're gonna do it at least once. Hopefully, we don't love it- that could be an expensive addiction :)

noahdove
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, this will be my first cruise of any type and while I think it is on the higher end of a vacation, it will most likely be the only cruise I will ever take. But, considering everything that we will be able to do on the 3 nighter...I believe that it will be the best money I ever spend...I've booked, but, I am hoping some "perks' come out for us to take advantage of...good luck and happy memories:)

ychcjbn1
02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff to know in case we ever decide to go back. I'm sure we're going to love this cruise! Disney knows how to do it right. :thumbsup2

HallsofVA
02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Another thing that helps get the price down is to rebook your next cruise while you're on board. You get a discount off of the cruise fare (generally 10%), plus an additional On board credit (generally $100-$200 per stateroom booked), and they currently offer a 1/2 price deposit incentive for onboard bookings that isn't available elsewhere. You can move your reservation without penalty and keep the onboard incentives should your travel plans change. You can also assign your reservation(s) to a travel agent at the time you rebook onboard, which generally qualifies you for additional onboard credit offers from the travel agent.

NancyIL
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I looked at booking another cruise (5 day) for December 2011 on the Dream and it's like $8,000!

The 5-night cruise you're looking at in December 2011 is over New Year's - and that's why it is so expensive. I would not expect any deals for a holiday cruise, and the price will probably get higher as the cruise date gets closer.

**Looking at that cruise - the price of a cat. 8D (deluxe family oceanview @ 241 sq. ft.) for 5 is $6350.85. For a cat. 4 (deluxe family oceanview with verandah @ 256 sq. ft. including the verandah) - the price is $7850.85. (Yes - pretty close to 8K!) Looks like the oceanview cabin is larger than the cat. 4. Two inside cabins (11C) would cost $5570.85. For that kind of money for 5 nights - I think I'd skip the cruise and stay at the Grand Floridian!

tjbaggott
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
For us, the time of year is what we look at when booking cruises cost wise. Any major holiday or anytime kids are not in school (summer vacation, Christmas, spring break) we will avoid because prices are too much for us then. We are going on a 7 night on the DREAM (a 3/4 Back to Back) for 5 people in two rooms for just under $4000.00, the first week of Sept. 2011.
We do pull our children out of school for these trips, but the teachers work well with us. The 2011 trip will be during the very first week of school (other than the first day hype, the kids won't miss much at all work wise that week).

ruadisneyfan2
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
The 5-night cruise you're looking at in December 2011 is over New Year's - and that's why it is so expensive. I would not expect any deals for a holiday cruise, and the price will probably get higher as the cruise date gets closer.

I agree. Holiday cruises on DCL are outrageous. The key to getting a decent price on DCL is to sail off season. Check your school calendar to see if your kids have any days off that don't fall on a fed holiday. Fortunately for us, our kids have 2 days off every early Nov. for a teachers' convention which usually occurs the same week as Election Day. They only miss 2 days of school for a 7 nt cruise.

We also are not big spenders in other aspects of life. No Coach bags, expensive clothes, etc. here. Dh's truck is 2001. This is similar to what others say about how they afford WDW every year or more often. We love DCL cruises and that's our reward for working like dogs and scrimping all year.

We are also a fam of 4 so we easily fit in 1 stateroom w/kids paying kid prices. Even when a fam of 5 gets 2 cheaper staterooms, 2/3 kids are paying adult prices. Most times, this is still cheaper than getting a cat 4 and also gives you 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, and almost double the space.

Try some different times of year and different cruises to find something that's doable. When the Dream prices 1st were released, my TA mentioned the 5 nt 8/16/11 double dip. Because of its popularity, it was pretty high. I check the next sailing, 8/21/11, a 4 nt, and it was several thousand less. Now I love CC but that 1 extra day for a 2nd visit to CC is not worth thousands to me. I almost booked it until I compared the 8/21 4 nt to the 11/6 4 nt and found it was even cheaper. So for less than the 5 nt in August, we could do a 4nt and a 3 nt back to back, giving us 7 nts total and still 2 visits to CC. :woohoo: These also both have rebooking discounts, with OBCs from DCL and my TA, which give several hundred $$ for spending onboard.

Search, search, search! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

ps: Get trip ins from a TA or www.*****************. They are usually half DCL's price for better coverage. DCL's website automatically adds this in the price as well as ground transfers. Keep this in mind when looking at prices. You can remove both of these charges online in the booking process. It's much cheaper to rent a minivan than to pay $69 pp for DCL bus transfers.

i'mfluffy
02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
We booked a category 11 during hurricane season. Normally we would not cruise in less than a balcony room but this was the only way I could convince DH. Hurricane season was the cheapest. I don't really care about Nassau but I'd like to see Castaway Cay. If we don't get off the ship I don't have a problem with that. Plus I have a cast iron stomach. DH says this is our one and only Disney cruise. Right now he's just humoring me. Hopefully he'll have such a great time he'll want to go again eventually.

ruadisneyfan2
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
We booked a category 11 during hurricane season. Normally we would not cruise in less than a balcony room but this was the only way I could convince DH. Hurricane season was the cheapest. I don't really care about Nassau but I'd like to see Castaway Cay. If we don't get off the ship I don't have a problem with that. Plus I have a cast iron stomach. DH says this is our one and only Disney cruise. Right now he's just humoring me. Hopefully he'll have such a great time he'll want to go again eventually.

We said that too. It was supposed to be a big once-in-a-lifetime trip. :lmao:
It's very addicting.

Tarabra
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
yes...I'm chuckling too w/ all the just once posts. It is VERY addicting. Number 8 here.

Anyhow, I agree w/ what others have posted. Def try to book onboard, inside rooms, off season. Late Apr/early May is pretty reasonable. During the year, we try to save any rewards points we get, through Disney Visa, our Debit Card, Dividend Checks, any bonus checks we get, Christmas money, birthday money, it all adds up. Even though it doesn't always pay for the cruise, it is our spending money, some plane fare, etc. Every year my husband's band plays at an amusement park for Halloweekends, we took that whole check, along w/ the kids cruise for free, and we are basically cruising for free. We also have booked a cty 12 in Apr, all cost cutters. We don't spend alot of money on Shutters pictures, excursions or souvenirs and still have a great time.

When are you cruising in Apr? We are on the Apr 11 cruise. If you aren't on the cruise meets board check it out.

ychcjbn1
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
When are you cruising in Apr? We are on the Apr 11 cruise. If you aren't on the cruise meets board check it out.

We're on the same cruise! Thanks for the tips and advice. We also are penny pinchers throughout the year so it's suprising that DH who saves much more than me is all about Disney. Our trip to WDW last year got him hooked. I will definitely check out the cruise meets board. Definitely looking for to this cruise. Maybe we'll run in to each other! You never know. :)

cathyalby
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
We will be on the same cruise the first week of September 2011. Fortunately, I'm a teacher :) but will be taking the time off. But, since I am a teacher, won't be doing any back to back. Just Labor Day Weekend!