PDA

View Full Version : Flight home from Barcelona

Riddlers
02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone,
We are booked onto the may 26th Med cruise and are just looking at booking our flights to/from Barcelona.
I have found a flight with a decent outbound time but it has a return flight time of 11.10am. I have received some info from DCL stating that the recommended earliest time to book return flight is 12.30pm. However I have looked on the itinerary and the guest ashore time is stated as 7am earliest.
How I see it is if I can get off the boat and through customs by 8am then we can make this flight no problems.
What times has everyone booked their return flights from and do you think this particular flight is acheivable?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup2

Pluto,
02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
im on the same cruise my departure time is 1045. not knowing barcelona airport how long security takes etc im staying saturday night and leave sunday.

NancyIL
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I would also suggest staying overnight in Barcelona rather than taking a chance on missing an early flight.

Robert and Kelley
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Dont have the answer to yuor question..But. We have disney air and they scheduled us a departure home at 10:00 AM. Hopefully this will not be a problem. I think since we arrive the day before we can get off the ship fairly early.

pirate:

Robert and Kelley
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
oops we are on EB Trans..sorry did not fully read the op.

NancyIL
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Dont have the answer to yuor question..But. We have disney air and they scheduled us a departure home at 10:00 AM. Hopefully this will not be a problem. I think since we arrive the day before we can get off the ship fairly early.

pirate:

You must be on the Transatlantic cruise. The OP is on a regular Med cruise, and the ship doesn't overnight in Barcelona.

Riddlers
02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your replys so far.
Would love to stop until sunday but unfortunatly OH has to be back at work early that monday and we cannot find a flight back on the sunday until really late evening. We are flying back to the uk aswell not US. The flights back on sunday are also a lot more expensive than the saturday :confused3

tripodjw
02-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I think the bus/cab ride to airport is just around 30-45 mins depending on traffic.

I've heard mixed reports about Barca airport security time. I was asking a similar question to friends who have been to Barcelona. One friend said it was dead quick only 15-20 mins wait time (isn't it a sad indictment of air travel today when that is quick), another had to wait just over an hour to get through security. Both were travelling on weekdays, i think the longer delay was a mid morning flight.

If you can disembark as soon as the ship clears then you'd probably be ok, even with slow security and a bit of traffic. However i don't know how quick Barcelona customs clear the ship and whether it is likely to be delayed.

Could you try flying to a different UK airport to get a slightly later time? It's easier to drive 100 or so miles in UK than miss the flight.

I'm in Nottingham but we are flying for our May cruise from Heathrow with BA - we totted up the costs of BA versus ryanair/easyjet/bmibaby out of East Mids and found the free baggage allowance made BA only a tiny bit more expensive but with much more choice of flight times.

Sunday flights are always more expensive because of Barcelona being so popular for short breaks.

I'm sure you can get flights to Barcelona from most UK airports - we certainly looked at Heathrow, East Midlands, Birmingham and Manchester.

Mineu
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
We had a similar problem in November and decided to stay the night after the cruise in Barcelona. I booked a 6:30 a.m. flight-and the airport was packed at 4:30 a.m.! We had enough time to get through security, buy a diet coke and board the plane! Getting off RCCL took 5 minutes-the drive to the airport hotel about 20 minutes on a Sunday-but the airport took forever!! Hope this helps...

lakerz5
02-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the replies...that Lufthansa at 12:45pm is probably the way we will go...just less stess for us getting out of Barcelona:thumbsup2