PDA

View Full Version : traveling with kids question

sdjen
02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I know this is kind of a unrelated topic but i know the Disers are experts at everything :)

I will be traveling alone with my 5 yo. I would like to find a portable gaming system or something similar that also plays movies? Is there such an item? I do not know anything about video games etc... but i would like to find something that plays both movies and games.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

HallsofVA
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
We let the kids use our ipods on the plane, so they can watch movies or kids programming that we've downloaded. While the ipods have games on them as well, the kids never get bored enough to play with them. We also use the ipod at night to play some kids music since our kids are used to going to sleep with a CD playing. (you need to bring some portable speakers to play the ipod without headphones though.)

My son (turned 6 in January) also brought his Leapster2 game to keep him occupied on the trip, and the drive from the airport to the port. It didn't get much if any use during the actual cruise though he may have brought it to dinner one night in case he got bored waiting for us to finish.

su_kraft
02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I know this is kind of a unrelated topic but i know the Disers are experts at everything :)

I will be traveling alone with my 5 yo. I would like to find a portable gaming system or something similar that also plays movies? Is there such an item? I do not know anything about video games etc... but i would like to find something that plays both movies and games.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

I have an iPod Touch that my 5 yo loves! I have a bunch of free apps on it for games (she loves doodle buddy, tic tac toe, the water slide, the roller coaster, shreck racing, glow stix...) I can also put movies on it. It was easy for her to get used to, light weight and it holds music that she likes as well.

We are taking it with us on the WBTA this coming September in lieu of a dvd player, so I hope that she still enjoys it as much!

momofsamandeden
02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Playstation PSP's play games and movies however I like the leapster 2 just because it is educational and my five year old loves playing those games.

DisneyDaddio
02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Ipod or Sony PSP are probably the 2 that come closest to a video player and game system in one device. Both my daughters love the ipods on trips and then I pack an inexpensive DVD player for added movies. My youngest loved her Leapster the past two years... and then we let her use our older ipod (as I got a new model for my wife).

MPwifey
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
My 2 year old loves our IPOD. I have an iphone that our child threw in the shower with Daddy because it was ringing for him :rotfl2:. SO not funny at the time, but DH got a new phone and I got an ipod that has limited sound quality, but works pretty well with headphones. She loves to play some simple ABC, color and shape games, or watch her veggietales movie we put on it. It kept occupied for a long time on a 5 hour flight.

clawmachine
02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
If you don't want to spend a bundle you might consider a portable "media player" like this Spongebob one:

http://www.amazon.com/Spongebob-Media-Player-1G-Silv/dp/B000VL91LM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265770548&sr=1-11

These were on sale for about $20 during the holidays so I picked up one for each of my sons. Good reviews!

Tinkerkell123
02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
If you don't want to spend a bundle you might consider a portable "media player" like this Spongebob one:

http://www.amazon.com/Spongebob-Media-Player-1G-Silv/dp/B000VL91LM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265770548&sr=1-11

These were on sale for about $20 during the holidays so I picked up one for each of my sons. Good reviews!

Got this for my DS and he LOVES it! Got mine from eBay brand new, in packaging and all for $19.

sdjen
02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone! Looks like i might have to do some shopping! ;)

croppincolburn
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I think I need to do some shopping too. Tired of lugging the old dvd player around.

The SB media player, can you load movies from DVDs on it?

Thanks!