PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

nails62040
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Just got back from the Magic 1/30/10 - 2/6/10 and had a great time. We always purchase travel insurance. When spending that kind of money on a vacation and knowing at any time something could happen, you're silly not to protect your investment.

But I wanted to mention - please read the fine print on your travel insurance. My husband and I volunteered to give up our seat at the airport and the airline put us up in a hotel. There were numerous people who were held up due to the winter storm in the east. One lady purchased travel insurance from Disney to cover her trip, but since she didn't purchase her airline travel from Disney, the insurance didn't help her out while she was "stuck" in Orlando. I heard her say - "I should have read the fine print".

This is exactly why we don't buy insurance from the cruise line. We have never purchased our airfare via the cruise lines so if something happened regarding our flight, we would not have been covered. There are various travel insurance companies out there that will cover your travel - airfare, cruise, hotel prior to trip, car rental...etc. Please do yourself a favor and check these out - don't just take for granted that the cruise line travel insurance is going to cover it all. And 9 times out of 10 - the insurance is less expensive with a lot better coverage. I felt so bad for all those who couldn't get home due to weather. And not having insurance to cover incidentals only adds insult to injury.

I would be more than happy to let you know who we purchased our insurance from. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll email you the information. I was thankful someone posted this information several months ago which made me re-think my cruise insurance - and I'm glad I did.

all4myboyngirl
02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes, please tell us where you purchased your insurance from. We are taking our first cruise later this year and declined currently the insurance from Disney as it seemed so expensive.

nails62040
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
My email address is maverikmarketing@sbcglobal.net. If you want to email me, I'll send you the information.

I don't know if its ok to put this information out on the board as if I was trying to promote one company over another.

Thanks!
Karen

allears
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Just got back from the Magic 1/30/10 - 2/6/10 and had a great time. We always purchase travel insurance. When spending that kind of money on a vacation and knowing at any time something could happen, you're silly not to protect your investment.

But I wanted to mention - please read the fine print on your travel insurance. My husband and I volunteered to give up our seat at the airport and the airline put us up in a hotel. There were numerous people who were held up due to the winter storm in the east. One lady purchased travel insurance from Disney to cover her trip, but since she didn't purchase her airline travel from Disney, the insurance didn't help her out while she was "stuck" in Orlando. I heard her say - "I should have read the fine print".

This is exactly why we don't buy insurance from the cruise line. We have never purchased our airfare via the cruise lines so if something happened regarding our flight, we would not have been covered. There are various travel insurance companies out there that will cover your travel - airfare, cruise, hotel prior to trip, car rental...etc. Please do yourself a favor and check these out - don't just take for granted that the cruise line travel insurance is going to cover it all. And 9 times out of 10 - the insurance is less expensive with a lot better coverage. I felt so bad for all those who couldn't get home due to weather. And not having insurance to cover incidentals only adds insult to injury.

I would be more than happy to let you know who we purchased our insurance from. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll email you the information. I was thankful someone posted this information several months ago which made me re-think my cruise insurance - and I'm glad I did.

Not covering the air fare portion of the cruise when you purchase air seperately is not a fine print issue, it's a simple issue of you cover what you pay for. Why would anyone think if they purchased insurace for the cruise but didn't buy your plane tickets along with the cruise that the insurance should cover the planes.

We were on the same cruise, but purchased our air fare seperately. We bought insurance for the cruise and also purchased insurance from the air carrier for the flights. Our flight Saturday was cancelled and we decided to rent a car and drive home yesterday. We'll be submitting a claim to this carrier.

We had a similar experience in 05 when we couldn't get home. The insurance covered our extra expenses.

We highly recommend travel insurance, but have some common sense about it and what it covers.

croppincolburn
02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
all4myboyngirl, you can compare insurance easily at www.*****************

kcashner
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
In the original example, the lady was just silly. Why would she even think that DCL's insurance would cover air that she purchased elsewhere?

On the other side, unless you are quite elderly, DCL's insurance is overpriced. Many companies do a child policy free with an adult policy, and most are far cheaper than DCL coverage. In addition, you can cover everything with one policy regardless of vendor (air, cruise, rental car, etc. all covered based on amount of coverage you purchased.) You don't have to give flight info at time of purchase of insurance--just list the trip as to the....Bahamas, Caribbean, or whatever with sufficient coverage for the air as well.

***************** is an excellent place to compare coverage from different companies and different policies within a company.

Before you decide whether or not to buy insurance, find out whether your medical coverage is good outside of the US--mine isn't. Each policy is different--don't assume "I have Anthem BC/CS so I'm good" (you may be in the same situation I am). I could "eat" the cost of a vacation if I had to, but a serious medical situation could be a disaster!

tvguy
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
You buy a lot of comfort with travel insurance. If that's important to you great. In 8 cruises, we only purchased travel insurance for our Disney cruise. There were three reasons that influenced that decision.
1) We were flying cross country in the winter.
2) We were flying cross country during the holidays, on the day after Christmas, and January 3rd.
3) Our Disney cruise was three times the cost of any other 7 day cruise we have taken.

If it had been one of the $2,000 cruises, I would not have purchased the insurance. I would not be happy to be out the money, but for the same reason I don't carry collision insurance on a $2,000 car, it just doesn't make sense.
Medical insurance was not an issue for us. Our el cheapo health plan....the one that doesn't pay for pap smears....does cover all medical care overseas and emergency medical evacuation.

nails62040
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
That's also a really great subject - regarding health insurance while out of the states. They always mention that you should check with your health insurance provider to see if you have coverage while outside of the U.S. If you don't, then I would say to definitely purchase trip insurance. From what I understand, it can cost you plenty to be airlifted off the ship.

When checking for travel insurance, one thing that was mentioned to me was to go with "primary" instead of "secondary". Secondary coverage is less expensive, but it kicks in only after your insurance has paid. With primary, it doesn't wait for any other insurance to pay out before they pay on a claim.

We went through www.***************** It allowed for us to compare all the different travel insurers. The one we chose also covered children traveling with an adult at no additional charge. The company was great to answer any questions I had and helped me to decide on which plan based on my travel needs. They were great to follow up with us after we purchased the insurance with regular mail and email. I plan on using them again for my next trip.

kcashner
02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Of course if your medical insurance provides no coverage out of the US, it doesn't really matter whether the travel insurance is primary or secondary coverage. It becomes a paperwork issue--if the travel insurance is secondary, you will need to submit to your health insurer and get a rejection from them, then resubmit to the travel insurance. They MIGHT accept the statement from the policy that says you have no coverage, but in most cases require a rejection EOB.

nails62040
02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Not covering the air fare portion of the cruise when you purchase air seperately is not a fine print issue, it's a simple issue of you cover what you pay for. Why would anyone think if they purchased insurace for the cruise but didn't buy your plane tickets along with the cruise that the insurance should cover the planes.

We were on the same cruise, but purchased our air fare seperately. We bought insurance for the cruise and also purchased insurance from the air carrier for the flights. Our flight Saturday was cancelled and we decided to rent a car and drive home yesterday. We'll be submitting a claim to this carrier.

We had a similar experience in 05 when we couldn't get home. The insurance covered our extra expenses.

We highly recommend travel insurance, but have some common sense about it and what it covers.

I agree - I think you need common sense when it comes to travel insurance. Unfortunately - there are a lot of people who are just unaware and inexperienced when it comes to travel - so always know what you're purchasing and if you don't understand something - ask. I asked our travel agent to email me Disney's travel insurance plan and I had a chance to read over it before I made my decision whether or not to purchase or go through someone else.

I usually travel Southwest, but have flown with AirTran and AirTran is the only airline that offered travel insurance with their flight. Does Southwest offer this - does anyone know?

Husurdady
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Kcashner , while we are on the insurance subject,I have a question. lets say you book a b2b cruise w/ insurance, shoudn't there be a discount in the insur. rate cause the insurances over lap in the middle of the 2 cruises,[ the end of one & the begining of the other] looks like you are paying twice for the same time frame.... yes or no?

kcashner
02-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Kcashner , while we are on the insurance subject,I have a question. lets say you book a b2b cruise w/ insurance, shoudn't there be a discount in the insur. rate cause the insurances over lap in the middle of the 2 cruises,[ the end of one & the begining of the other] looks like you are paying twice for the same time frame.... yes or no?

When you purchase insurance privately, you list the dates involved. I always list one day before and one after the cruise as part of the coverage period because I make my travel arrangements after my cruise plans; thus have the extra days covered "just in case." When I did my B2B, I listed the total 7 day period + one additional day on each side--total 9 days. For the amount of coverage, I listed the total cruise cost per person (leg one + leg 2), + airfare. Thus, I had the whole vacation covered. This is not being deceptive in any way--they didn't ask if I was going on one cruise or two; only where and when I was going.

If you are booking thru DCL, there will be no discount for B2B; however I am aware that insurance for longer cruises purchased thru DCL costs more than for shorter cruises. Not sure how a 3 +4 compares with a 7, but I'd guess it's more! We can debate all day what "should" be...but with DCL, it's a matter of what profits most.

DISJen
02-10-2010, 12:06 AM
We learned the lesson that "you get what you pay for". My husband got seriously injured half way through our 7-day cruise and spent the second half in bed hooked up to an I.V. and being watched very closely by the doctors who were trying to decide if he should be evacuated off ship, and I was caring for him, talking to the doctors....etc. Our trip was ruined. We had trip insurance and filed a claim when we got back. We were reimbursed for our medical expenses but were denied any compensation for "interrupted trip" because the travel insurance company would only pay out if he were evacuated off the ship, otherwise they said that he remained on board and thus our trip was not "interrupted". I was told that the Disney plan does compensate people who become ill and/or are limited/confined to their room for illness/injury. I really wish I had spent a few extra bucks and got the better plan.

nails62040
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
We learned the lesson that "you get what you pay for". My husband got seriously injured half way through our 7-day cruise and spent the second half in bed hooked up to an I.V. and being watched very closely by the doctors who were trying to decide if he should be evacuated off ship, and I was caring for him, talking to the doctors....etc. Our trip was ruined. We had trip insurance and filed a claim when we got back. We were reimbursed for our medical expenses but were denied any compensation for "interrupted trip" because the travel insurance company would only pay out if he were evacuated off the ship, otherwise they said that he remained on board and thus our trip was not "interrupted". I was told that the Disney plan does compensate people who become ill and/or are limited/confined to their room for illness/injury. I really wish I had spent a few extra bucks and got the better plan.

Thanks for pointing that out! I just really want to emphasize to those who are reading this thread and I hope those who have never purchased travel insurance really consider doing so after reading all these replies. We (or should I say "I") spend a great deal of time planning our vacations, making sure that my family has a great time, trying to avoid glitches here and there, etc. To not take the extra time and scope all avenues of travel insurance pertaining to your investment is nonsense. Please do yourself (and your family) a favor and take the extra time and effort to make sure that if your trip is ruined or interrupted in any way, at least you'll have the funds from the insurance to make it up to yourself and family to put it towards another vacation!
(ok...stepping down off my soapbox now)

mammacaryn
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
We have always booked our insurance with Disney since we book everything else with them. What exactly are you all paying that makes disney so expensive? I have never looked at other prices myself, but never felt we were being ripped off either.

NancyIL
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM

If you check Disney's plan coverages, it is usually NOT the better plan. It doesn't have a waiver of pre-existing conditions, no mater when it is purchased, and only the baggage coverage is higher than most other policies. It is true that "trip interruption" doesn't cover being confined to a cruise ship cabin in many if not most policies. While the trip was ruined for you, you were STILL cruising.

clawmachine
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
We have always booked our insurance with Disney since we book everything else with them. What exactly are you all paying that makes disney so expensive? I have never looked at other prices myself, but never felt we were being ripped off either.

We are just one example, but I just priced out USAA's travel insurance policy (we already have auto ins. with them), and I can get more coverage for less than half the cost of the Disney plan for 2 adults and 3 kids. The Disney plan was going to be $395 and the USAA plan is about $175. The USAA plan will also cover our air travel and hotel stay the night before the cruise, which the Disney plan would not. hth.

HooKooDooKu
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Am I the only one that sees the specific example sighted by the OP as really being a non-issue?

I see the primary purpose to buying travel insurance is to make sure your $$$$ investment isn't a complete loss when the unexpected happens and you miss your trip.

To complain that you didn't read the travel insurance fine print and got upset that is didn't cover the $$ unexpected expense of an extra night in a hotel is about like paying for car insurance and complaining when the insurance doesn't cover the cost of your spilled cup of coffee that you dropped in a car accident.

I guess my point is that everyone needs to keep in mind the real purpose for insurance is to transfer a risk that you can not affort to take. Most people booking a DCL vacation can not afford to spend the $$$$ it would cost to rebook a cruise that was missed due to unforseen circumstances. But pretty much anyone spending the $$$$ for a DCL trip should be able to risk the loss of $$ to cover some a minor unexpected travel expense.

On the other hand, the very valid point that was made was than when you book airfare seperate from your cruise, and then purchase the optional insurance offered by DCL, your air-fare isn't included. So if something goes terribly wrong and you are unable to complete your trip, you're at the mercy of the airline and what ever their policy is regarding non-refundable tickets.

sayhello
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Am I the only one that sees the specific example sighted by the OP as really being a non-issue?

I see the primary purpose to buying travel insurance is to make sure your $$$$ investment isn't a complete loss when the unexpected happens and you miss your trip.

To complain that you didn't read the travel insurance fine print and got upset that is didn't cover the $$ unexpected expense of an extra night in a hotel is about like paying for car insurance and complaining when the insurance doesn't cover the cost of your spilled cup of coffee that you dropped in a car accident.

I guess my point is that everyone needs to keep in mind the real purpose for insurance is to transfer a risk that you can not affort to take. Most people booking a DCL vacation can not afford to spend the $$$$ it would cost to rebook a cruise that was missed due to unforseen circumstances. But pretty much anyone spending the $$$$ for a DCL trip should be able to risk the loss of $$ to cover some a minor unexpected travel expense.

On the other hand, the very valid point that was made was than when you book airfare seperate from your cruise, and then purchase the optional insurance offered by DCL, your air-fare isn't included. So if something goes terribly wrong and you are unable to complete your trip, you're at the mercy of the airline and what ever their policy is regarding non-refundable tickets.Actually, I don't agree with you. Everyone buys trip insurance for different reasons. Some only buy it to get their money back on the actual cruise investment. But some people buy it to cover any sort of unexpected travel expense. I'd be pretty pissed if I bought car insurance, was in an accident, and was told the insurance didn't cover the windshield. Even though most people buy car insurance to cover major expenses, you expect the entirety of the car to be covered. I agree the person the OP overheard should have asked what the insurance covers, but saying she shouldn't have expected the hotel expense to be covered, or CARED if it was covered, is ridiculous. *ESPECIALLY* since, if she'd bought the insurance independently, rather than through DCL, it WOULD have been covered.

For MANY people, the real purpose of trip insurance is to protect you from unexpected expenses beyond your control. No matter whether it's before or during the trip.

Sayhello

nails62040
02-10-2010, 01:04 PM

I know that travel insurance is based on the amount that you pay for your trip. When I compared Disney to the other insurance company, my husband and I saved about $80.00 and had almost twice the coverage.

HooKooDooKu
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
...Everyone buys trip insurance for different reasons...

My basic point is that that you don't have to make sure that every single little thing is insured. To do so is a waste of your financial resources. You should purchase insurance to cover risks that you can't affort to take, and self-insure for risks you CAN affort to take.

Now obviously everyone's situation is different, and what is an affordable risk to take for one isn't an affordable risk to take for another.

For me personally, the typical expenses related to an average delayed/canceled flight (meals, a hotel stay) is something I can affort. So rather than spending additional money to make sure I have insurance to cover these expenses, I'm going to take the risk myself and pocket the insurance money.

By contrast, cross country plane tickets for a large family, the cost of a cruise, medical expenses incurred while out of the country, and evacuation costs in the event of an emergency are examples of costs that are very significant and therefore I'm going to pay someone else to take that risk for me.

I guess in the grander scheme of things, I'm saying... make sure your house has fire insurance, because can you really afford to replace your whole house if it burns to the ground? Of the flip side, you should turn down the offer to insure your $40 toaster oven for $5 they will likely ask you about when you buy it... after all if the toaster goes belly-up after a year, you can likely afford to replace the toaster at your own expense.

Of course this is ignoring part of what nails62040 is basically saying... that when it comes to travel insurance, it's not neccesarily "a-la-cart", and that you can possibly get travel insurance that will cover the big and little things for about the same money that you can get travel insurance to cover just the big things... you obviously have to comparison shop to get the most for your money.

TheWog
02-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Better plan is subjective to the person with the loss. As mentioned the DCL insurance didn't cover the loss in the OPs example, but would have done better for you. Disney is usually never a better plan, except in a limited situation such as your example. Other private plans would also cover your scenario had you been able to foresee that.

nails62040
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
My basic point is that that you don't have to make sure that every single little thing is insured. To do so is a waste of your financial resources. You should purchase insurance to cover risks that you can't affort to take, and self-insure for risks you CAN affort to take.

Now obviously everyone's situation is different, and what is an affordable risk to take for one isn't an affordable risk to take for another.

For me personally, the typical expenses related to an average delayed/canceled flight (meals, a hotel stay) is something I can affort. So rather than spending additional money to make sure I have insurance to cover these expenses, I'm going to take the risk myself and pocket the insurance money.

By contrast, cross country plane tickets for a large family, the cost of a cruise, medical expenses incurred while out of the country, and evacuation costs in the event of an emergency are examples of costs that are very significant and therefore I'm going to pay someone else to take that risk for me.

I guess in the grander scheme of things, I'm saying... make sure your house has fire insurance, because can you really afford to replace your whole house if it burns to the ground? Of the flip side, you should turn down the offer to insure your $40 toaster oven for $5 they will likely ask you about when you buy it... after all if the toaster goes belly-up after a year, you can likely afford to replace the toaster at your own expense.

I don't know if this information would help anyone, but when we were pricing out insurance - I added up my incidentals should something go wrong i.e., hotel, airfare, ground transportation, etc. The insurance that we purchased was bracketed (i.e., up to $3000.00 was one price, the next bracket was like $6000.00 for about $20.00 more etc.) and the price didn't go up until we hit the next bracket level. So always price out what you think you will lose in an unforeseen event and discuss it with the representative. Chances are, those small incidentals will be covered and you can afford to include them in the total vacation costs.

sayhello
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM

I guess in the grander scheme of things, I'm saying... make sure your house has fire insurance, because can you really afford to replace your whole house if it burns to the ground? Of the flip side, you should turn down the offer to insure your $40 toaster oven for $5 they will likely ask you about when you buy it... after all if the toaster goes belly-up after a year, you can likely afford to replace the toaster at your own expense.But 2 points you made here don't apply to the OP. First off, the DCL coverage is WAY more expensive than insurance that you purchase from an outside vendor. It is actually more economical to cover the entire trip than to purchase DCL's coverage. For what she spent for that insurance, I'd expect more coverage, also. Secondly, you mention covering big things like cross-country airfare. The airfare was also not covered by the DCL insurance, as it wasn't purchased via DCL. DCL's insurance offers no coverage for your travel to and from the cruise unless you purchase those travel arrangements through DCL. The point is really that DCL's insurance ONLY covers what you purchase from DCL, and not your travel to and from the cruise. If something had happened, and the person the OP overheard had totally missed their flight, they would have been out all the money for that flight, or for the money it would have cost to re-book.

Sayhello

kcashner
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I know that travel insurance is based on the amount that you pay for your trip. When I compared Disney to the other insurance company, my husband and I saved about $80.00 and had almost twice the coverage.

When purchasing travel insurance privately, the cost is based on the age of the traveler, the location you are visiting, and where you live (since state laws impact insurance coverage) and the amount of coverage you purchase. When purchasing thru DCL, the price is determined by the length of the cruise only. While I have not viewed each category, I don't believe this impacts the cost of the insurance thru DCL (so it's not based on age of guest or on amount of coverage purchased).

In general, coverage thru DCL is more expensive than thru private companies. It does NOT cover any pre-existing conditions, and covers only what was booked thru DCL. Thus, if you buy DCL air, you will have the air covered. If you buy DCL insurance but do your air privately, the air will not be covered.

One instance where DCL insurance MAY be less expensive is when there is an elderly guest or guests in a more expensive cabin. However, the elderly guest may be the very one who NEEDS pre-existing conditions covered.

One cannot lump all private coverage together--each company and each policy is different. You just have to read the fine print and make sure you get the coverage that works best for you.

Yes, we each choose to purchase travel insurance for different reasons. The goal is to get the coverage that best provides for those reasons given your situation.

HooKooDooKu
02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
...First off, the DCL coverage is WAY more expensive than insurance that you purchase from an outside vendor....

That statement, in and of itself, should be self evident (well, I don't know about the WAY part). After all, DCL has a captive audience and makes it extreamly easy to purchase it's insurance. Those two forces combined would seem to scream "you will be paying more than you need to for this" (or at least that's what my cynic veiw of modern marketing tells me).

Now one thing that is great about the DCL sold insurance (at least the way is was handled the last time I had booked a trip)... if you cancel your trip outside the penalty window, you get your insurance money back. I don't think you can get a similar deal with an outside vendor can you? (or can you?).

kcashner
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Most private insurance vendors will allow you one change of dates. No, you can't cancel the policy if you cancel the trip.

The reason that DCL allows you to cancel and get the insurance money back up to the penalty date is that THEY don't purchase the insurance until the penalty date. That's at least part of why pre-existing conditions aren't covered by their policy--the policy may not be purchased till months after the trip is booked!

DCL is not the insurer--they are a broker. They purchase coverage for their guests thru Access America. However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.

TheWog
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.
and I would add ... more comprehensive/better coverage.

tvguy
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
From what I understand, it can cost you plenty to be airlifted off the ship. .

If you are doing a Med cruise, or Trans-Atlantic, this could be an issue. HOWEVER, I have posed this question many times over the years here, and nobody has every confirmed they have EVER been charged for an air evacaution on any of the Disney routes on the Wonder or Magic out of Orlando. If you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. Coast Guard will airlift you free of charge. A co-worker had his appendix erupt 2/3 of the way back from Hawaii enroute to San Diego on the Amsterdam. The U.S. Coast Guard sent 2 helicopters (they told him the second was a backup in case the first crashed!!!) and a refueling aircraft 800 miles out from San Diego, and then 1,000 miles back to Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto. No charge.

nails62040
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Thats pretty awesome that the coast guard would do that free of charge (although some would say that in the long run we pay for that privilege through our federal taxes). I've only heard stories of people having to pay anywhere from 8-10,000 to be airlifted off the ship. Which is another good reason to have the insurance.

tvguy
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Thats pretty awesome that the coast guard would do that free of charge (although some would say that in the long run we pay for that privilege through our federal taxes). I've only heard stories of people having to pay anywhere from 8-10,000 to be airlifted off the ship. Which is another good reason to have the insurance.

I have heard stories too, and I can see that happening say in Madrid, but if you are a U.S. citizen are in reach of a U.S. territory, the Coast Guard will airlift you.

enchanted72
02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
....DCL is not the insurer--they are a broker. They purchase coverage for their guests thru Access America. However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.

and I would add ... more comprehensive/better coverage.

Yep! We went with Access America thru ***************** and covered the 4 of us at $78 (TOTAL) compared to a lesser AA policy via DCL for $236!

rescuetink
02-15-2010, 02:20 PM

I can only assume you are paying for the convenience of Disney!! :confused3 I've always said, Disney's not cheap, but Disney does things right!! And there's a trust people have in Disney that they feel Disney is the safe way to go for insurance also!!

If I purchased insurance through DCL for the 4 of us it would cost me $436.00. I checked through Access America, online and by phone (just the random company I called) and it would cost $188.00. Personally, I like the $248.00 difference in my pocket, it's like a $248.00 onboard incentive credit for buying insurance elsewhere!! :rotfl2:

(The person I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and not at all pushy!! I'll be calling them back!! Sorry, I just had to add that!!)

MomOf2DisneyKids
10-30-2010, 09:59 AM
this thread is a bit old...so just bumping to see if anyone has any recent thoughts or experiences w/buying trip insurance! Thanks!

nails62040
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
We always purchase our travel insurance through www.tripinsurancestore.com

There is a 1-800 number you can call and talk to them - let them know what your travel plans include and they can help you decide on which insurance plan is the best. They have always been very helpful - they follow up with you and answer any questions you may have prior to leaving for your vacation. The rates are very reasonable.

When I'm spending money for a Disney vacation or a cruise, I almost always purchase insurance. I know alot of people think that it may be a waste of money - but for my peace of mind...it's worth it.

Karen

COASTIEandMATE
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I agree that everyone has their own reasons for purchasing insurance. I chose to insure thru DCL [even tho it was not the cheapest] because even if you cancel last minute even for a reason that is not not covered by the plan, DCL WILL CREDIT 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future cruise. I honestly don't want my money back if we had to cancel, I really want my cruise back! And I know my DH would not re-book [spend the money again] if something went amiss the first time!!

sayhello
10-30-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree that everyone has their own reasons for purchasing insurance. I chose to insure thru DCL [even tho it was not the cheapest] because even if you cancel last minute even for a reason that is not not covered by the plan, DCL WILL CREDIT 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future cruise. I honestly don't want my money back if we had to cancel, I really want my cruise back! And I know my DH would not re-book [spend the money again] if something went amiss the first time!!This is an excellent reason to buy through DCL if a credit for a future cruise is a reasonable reimbursement for you. The other thing to keep in mind though, is if you did not purchase your airfare through DCL, their insurance will not cover it. DCL insurance only covers what you purchase through DCL. If you did buy your airfare through DCL, or were planning to drive, then you're good to go.

Sayhello

kutchyone
10-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Many people are confused about air being covered mainly because if you purchase insurance to cover your Disney World trip your air IS covered even if purchased by you not as part f your DW package. That's why I think many people think the air is covered on the insurance through DCL.

sayhello
10-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Many people are confused about air being covered mainly because if you purchase insurance to cover your Disney World trip your air IS covered even if purchased by you not as part f your DW package. That's why I think many people think the air is covered on the insurance through DCL.Really? That's surprising. I did not know that. Disney sold insurance doesn't cover air for ABD or DCL (unless the airfare is purchased through them). I wonder why they cover it for WDW but not for the others?

Sayhello

dahuffy
10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
On the other hand, the very valid point that was made was than when you book airfare seperate from your cruise, and then purchase the optional insurance offered by DCL, your air-fare isn't included. So if something goes terribly wrong and you are unable to complete your trip, you're at the mercy of the airline and what ever their policy is regarding non-refundable tickets.

This is the exact reason why we fly in the day before and get a room for the night.

sayhello
10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
This is the exact reason why we fly in the day before and get a room for the night.Well, that's true whether you have insurance or not! All the insurance in the world isn't going to get you on the ship if you can't get on a plane to where it's sailing from!

The insurance can just make it easier & cheaper to try & get there.

Sayhello

mousemom11
10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I learned something new when I purchased travel insurance for our 2012 Fantasy cruise. I moved a dummy booking to that particular cruise. Pre-existing condition waiver is crucial to us because my DH had a kidney transplant 2 1/2 years ago. For most waivers to apply, you must purchase the insurance within a certain period of time after paying the intial deposit (generally, 2-3 weeks). However, I paid the deposit on the dummy cruise a year ago. I called the InsureMyTrip people and was told that in the case of dummy/future cruises, your deposit is counted as being paid on the date that you book the cruise that you intend to take. Since I had just booked our Fantasy cruise that day, the pre-existing condition waiver applies.

NancyIL
10-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I learned something new when I purchased travel insurance for our 2012 Fantasy cruise. I moved a dummy booking to that particular cruise. Pre-existing condition waiver is crucial to us because my DH had a kidney transplant 2 1/2 years ago. For most waivers to apply, you must purchase the insurance within a certain period of time after paying the intial deposit (generally, 2-3 weeks). However, I paid the deposit on the dummy cruise a year ago. I called the InsureMyTrip people and was told that in the case of dummy/future cruises, your deposit is counted as being paid on the date that you book the cruise that you intend to take. Since I had just booked our Fantasy cruise that day, the pre-existing condition waiver applies.

According to the Trip Insurance Store - it depends on the insurance company: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/initial.shtml:

The Exceptions to "What Is Your Initial Trip Deposit Date?"

If you are / were on a cruise and you paid a deposit for a future cruise without setting travel dates, Travelex Select, Travelex Max and Travel Insured will not consider that date your Initial Trip Deposit Date. Your Initial Trip Deposit Date will be the date you have a confirmed reservation with specific travel dates.

TravelSafe's policy wording, "Payments or Deposits" strictly refers to a confirmed deposit. In other words, if a particular category is not available for you at the time of your initial deposit, or the tour is sold out and you are put on a waiting list, or if an "interest deposit" is taken for an early promotion to see if there is enough interest in a specific tour but the tour is not yet a definite, don't buy a Travel Safe plan yet.

You can still receive the pre-existing conditions waiver, supplier default coverage and the the optional "Cancel For Any Reason" benefits when your initial deposit date is the date your "interest deposit" becomes a confirmed deposit.

CSA and Travel Guard count the earliest date when any monies are paid as the Initial Trip Deposit Date regardless of whether there are set travel dates set.

All of DCL's dummy bookings are for specific cruise dates - even if you don't intend to take that particular cruise. According to what I just quoted, most policies would NOT cover pre-existing conditions for a dummy booking that is later moved, except the few companies (like CSA and HTH) that do so when purchased before or within 24 hours of making the final trip payment.

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
10-31-2010, 06:59 AM
I agree that everyone has their own reasons for purchasing insurance. I chose to insure thru DCL [even tho it was not the cheapest] because even if you cancel last minute even for a reason that is not not covered by the plan, DCL WILL CREDIT 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future cruise. I honestly don't want my money back if we had to cancel, I really want my cruise back! And I know my DH would not re-book [spend the money again] if something went amiss the first time!!

Am I correct in my assumption that if I purchase DCL insurance, which won't cover our flights, but cancel our cruise at the last minute if our flight is cancelled (or delayed, or...)---that I can cancel for a non-covered reason and get the cost of the cruise in credit towards a furure cruise?

kutchyone
10-31-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't understand why it can't be more uniform! The differences make it confusing for the consumer.

Direct from the Disney TA site concerning air coverage NOT purchased through Disney:

The plan includes the following coverage and benefits, subject to certain exclusions and limitations:

Trip Cancellation/Interruption (up to $10,000 maximum), including coverage for nonrefundable unused prepaid airfare purchased through Walt Disney Travel Company, a Travel Agent, or directly by guest, for covered reasons such as:

Employee termination or layoff through no fault of your own after the effective date of coverage if you are an active employee with same employer for at least 1 year

Called into active military duty, having military leave revoked or being reassigned within 10 days of departure date

A disabling illness, injury or death causing trip to be cancelled

Hurricane or inclement weather causing complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure and/or destination

Trip Delay ($600/6 hour minimum)

Baggage Delay ($500 maximum)

Loss of Baggage/Personal Effects ($2,000 maximum)

Medical Expenses ($20,000 maximum)

Emergency Medical Transportation ($20,000)

Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) ($25,000 maximum)

24-hour Emergency Travel Assistance (non-insurance services provided by Travel Guard Assist)

Although vacation insurance includes coverage for loss of personal effects (as well as medical and other expenses), this coverage may already be included in your client's homeowner's (or other insurance) policies.

Insurance coverage must be purchased no later than the final payment date or with payment of non-refundable air tickets. Vacation insurance is non-refundable once deposit has been received. Clients will receive a Certificate of Insurance with their final documents, which describes the benefits and exclusions in detail

Also the insurance for DW has the following:

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

If insurance is purchased by final Trip payment, the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion will be waived. This is applicable to all coverages contained in the policy. The Insured must be medically able to travel when you pay your premium. In the event aclaim is filed, the Injury or illness must be substantiated to our Claims Department.

TiggerAllie
10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Can someone give me a sense of what the time limits are for when you have to purchase non-DCL insurance by? We paid in full last Monday and also purchased the airfare last week.

Because we have to fly to MCO on the morning of departure, I am looking for something that will cover us (for hotel and transport to the first port) if we end up missing the port departure time due to airline delays (bad weather, mechanical failure, crew delays). I've been delayed to Disney ~ 6hrs before when trying to fly on the morning of/after a snowstorm, and we only have a 6.5 hr window (not including ground transfer time) between scheduled arrival at MCO and PC departure.

I'll take any website/company suggestions as well. TIA.