PDA

View Full Version : safe to book a cat 9?

ilovecraigandcooper
02-08-2010, 09:48 AM
We're wanting to cruise again in September and one room will be my mom, my sister, her friend and possible my mom's friend. so definitely 3 people, maybe 4. We wanted to go ahead and book since the price will probably go up. If they booked a cat 9 with three people will they be able to add the fourth person if she decides to come? I guess I'm asking if all cat 9's hold three of four of if some just hold three...

macd4
02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I would book for 4, and then delete 1 if you have to.
I recall a post where someone booked for 3 and then tried to add 1, and could not get the original (lower) price for the person they added.
Hopefully someone else can respond with first-hand information on this, and answer your cat 9 question.

kcashner
02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Correct--if you add a 4th person, they will pay the rate then in effect which may be higher than now (it usually doesn't increase for the 3rd and 4th, but it can). As long as the person cancels before the penalty date, there will be no financial loss to this approach. Cat 9s hold 3 or 4 people depending on the room number.

emilyann415
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
This is exactly what happened to us. Live and learn. They put us in a 3 person cat 9 cabin and when it came time to add the fourth, they could only accomidate us in a cat 5!!!! A LOT more money...it was a nightmare. Anyway, I do what PP suggested, add four names, can always take away the fourth at a later date.
Emily

HallsofVA
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
The only drawback to booking the 4th person now is having to pay the deposit. However, their deposit is fully refundable should they cancel before the penalty period begins. There are numerous drawbacks to only booking 3 now and trying to add a 4th later, including higher rates, no availability on the ship either in the lifeboat space for your room or of rooms holding 4 people.

ilovecraigandcooper
02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys!