PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Oceanview Family Stateroom vs. Two Inside Staterooms

cathyalby
02-07-2010, 09:27 AM
We are Disney fanatics, but this will be our first Disney Cruise, and first cruise altogether! We are a family of 5, and we have decided to make the Disney Dream our first- kids will be 11 and under at the time of sailing. So, I am asking, I'm sure, the age-old question: should we go for the Deluxe Oceanview Family Stateroom that can accommodate all of us and has 1 1/2 baths with Cat 8, or should we book 2 inside staterooms that will give the exact same amount of square footage, but will also be 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 refrigerators, more closet space... and we would get shipboard credit for 2 rooms rather than 1. The difference is only $150 when figuring in the shipboard credit, too. I'm just wondering how important it is to have the actual porthole, or is the real question I should be asking is how important is the location of the rooms? Any guidance would be great!

jilljill
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
On the Dream the inside cabins will have the virtual portholes that will have a live feed of outside. Until the Dream starts sailing we won't know what to fully expect from the virtual portholes.
For the cat. 8 cabin you won't have 1 baths, but a split bath. You have a sink and tub in one half and the other half will have a sink and commode.

2 inside cabins will give you more square footage than 1 deluxe oceanview. The cat. 8 is 241 sq. ft and the cat. 10 is 204 sq. ft and the cat. 11 is 169 sq. ft. The difference in the cat. 10 and cat. 11 (besides sq. footage) is the cat. 10 has the split bath and the cat. 11 does not.

It depends on the ages of your kids and how much time you think you will be spending in your cabin and how long the cruise is to determine if the savings it worth it for you.

Hope this helps.

abdmom
02-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I like one larger room with my 3 kids when I cruise, even if the square footage of the room is less than double a regular room. The beds in two connecting rooms takes up a LOT of space. Two rooms makes it difficult to keep track of everyone, it just adds to my stress. :thumbsup2

dismom73
02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
We are sticking with two rooms on the dream. We are a family of 5 also, and it will be our 4th disney cruise. Since we are used to having two rooms I felt we would feel "crammed" if we were all in one. I really like having the extra space, bathroom, sitting area etc. This will be our first time having inside rooms though, but I'm excited because we have 9077 and 9577 so we will have a view of both sides of the ship.

cathyalby
02-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your replies. I think we will stick with the 2 staterooms; this being our first cruise, we won't know any different :)

james'mommy
02-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I haven't been on a Disney cruise yet but I am a seasoned cruiser. I hate inside rooms (that being said we do have an inside booked on the Wonder but this is a budget thing and the only way DH would agree to go.) I could sleep my entire vacation away because there is no natural light.

momofsamandeden
02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
We also are wondering what to do with our family of five. I hate inside rooms but this inside intrigues me because of the virtual portholes. We will have three children ages 6,3 and 18 months. I have never cruised with them but I do know that when we stayed at a hotel over Christmas our very large room felt tiny with our luggage, double stroller, pack and play and just random family of five junk every where. So we are thinking of doing connecting just so that we can have a room for sleeping and napping for the little ones and a mommy and daddy escape for us.
Our oldest wants the inside just for that porthole character surprise. It will give us natural light and I am guessing we will barely be in the room with all that there is to do and our first time seeing this ship.
My dh wants connecting balconies so that he can sit outside at night but to me this seems stressful when the kids are out there so I am thinking he will lose that debate

lmb
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I just went throught this same dilemma today and booked the Cat 8 rather than 2 11A's. Since we were just booking a 4 night I thought I'd pick the natural light and spacier single room over the 2. I think in a longer cruise I'd have gone with the 2 connecting rooms.

kcashner
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
There's no right or wrong answer here. Personally I'd go with 2 rooms, but...to each his own.

Blovesdisney
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
We also had this questions before booking our cruise on the Dream. We decided to go with the two inside rooms as well. DH and I were on the Wonder in Oct and had a outside room with a porthole, fine for just the two of us with space, but adding the kids to the Dream cruise we find the luggage would become an issue, not to mention the bathroom. Here were some of the things we considered to be a positive about two rooms.
Two bathrooms
More closet space
Two actual beds
More doors to decorate!
Two TV's (even though we will not be in the room much)
Two Fridges
This was just the choice we made that fit our family.

noahdove
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
My TA advised me to take the 2 inside staterooms, so, with her knowing my fear of water, I chose to take them. The cost wasn't much different, but, the space is:) Good luck with whatever you choose:)

cathyalby
02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Those were the same reasons we decided on the two rooms! Can't wait; we've never cruised before much less been on a Disney Cruise! Don't know if we can make it for a year and half!

jbm02
02-11-2010, 06:34 AM
We have had a veranda room (2009) and port hole room (2006). This time (2011), we're giving 2 inside cabins for our family of 4 a try. I'm a little nervous about it but hope that the virtual port holes will be a fun change. We loved the single room with an oceanview but realized that we really weren't in the cabin that much. I might miss my early morning breakfast on the veranda but the extra room and savings will be worth it. We're paying less for 2 inside rooms than we would for a single oceanview one...
:goodvibes
You can't make a bad choice!! Happy Planning!!