PDA

View Full Version : New York Hotel recommendations

aussietravellers
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Would love some hotel recommendations for New York.

Location is important (midtown Manhattan I think), somewhere with a good view and not out of the way, we want somewhere in a good location basically. Not 5 star I don't think, NY hotels seem to be very expensive, so 3.5 to 4.5 star. We are looking at the Times Square area at the moment. Doubletree Suites Times Square, has anybody stayed there?

Being a first trip to NY we will be doing all of the usual tourist sites, (zoo at Central Park, some Museums, walk over the brooklyn bridge, statue of liberty, magnolia bakery cupcake from Greenwich village to name a few including FAO Schwarz and from the sounds of it there is a big Toys R Us (yes there will be children travelling in our group, but none in strollers, but its not the children that are wanting to build a barbie or muppet at FAO Schwarz or jump on the big piano keys, that is the adults :rotfl2:

So would love to hear any recommendations for hotels :goodvibes

ehsmum
01-31-2010, 03:32 AM
I can't recommend it because we haven't been yet, but we've booked Radio City Apartments. It's a reasonable price (US$2600 for 10 nights) and a great location, right in Times Square. It has mixed reviews but the price for the location couldn't be beaten so we're risking it!

Lizzy Lemon
01-31-2010, 08:10 AM
I've been researching this too for February 2011. Someone recommended the Giraffe and I also like the look of Hilton New York. Like you we will be concentrating on the major tourist areas and Times Square area seems to be an ideal base. Good luck with the planning.

Looking at your list of hotel stays, you have similar tastes to us. WDW Yacht Club and AKL. We stayed in the Disneyland Hotel and Sequoia Lodge in DLPR.

disney_princess_85
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm staying at the New York Palace in April. It's on Madison Avenue so it's in a great location. There's a thread over on the UK Community board (called 'Flights to New York'), where there are loads of general tips along with hotel recommendations.

Kangarucci
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
We stayed at Radio City Apartments in April 2007 and found it to be in a fantastic location. The apartment itself was very good -spacious with kitchen facilities so that we could eat in. We did have a minor issue with the heating in that it got too hot when sleeping and we couldn't alter the thermostat, however, I just opened up the window a little.

Subway a 2 min walk away and Time Square maybe 5min max. A grocery store is perhaps 10min away. We paid about $300 AUD per night for a family of 4 in a one bedroom apartment. We are going back to New York in Sept. and I thought that I might try and find somewhere less expensive, but the location of the apartments is just so good.

Cheers.:goodvibes

Toy Story
02-01-2010, 01:27 AM
We have booked into the Hotel Beacon - it is in the Upper West Side, about two (big?) blocks from Central Park. We decided on this hotel as you get two rooms with a kitchenette, and figured for ten nights it would be good for our two children to have time apart.

Friends stayed here in 2005, apparently there is a great supermarket over the road.

shushh
02-01-2010, 03:42 AM
We're going in Dec 2010 and the rates around Christmas are crazy! We are still tossing up between radio city apartments and the Novotel Times Square. We needed somewhere that will fit 5 in a room. We've got reservations at the moment at the Novotel times square for $349 per night including taxes. This is beginning to look like a really good price!

StephAus
02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I just got back from NY. My sister & I stayed at the Pod Hotel, which while was good, probably not appropriate if you have kids.
But I just wanted to say, since all the things you want to do are literally all over Manhattan you really want a hotel as close as you can to a subway station. And if you do this you can open your search up a bit wider than midtown.
I hope this made a bit of sense, I bought a cold back with me. PM if you have any other q's.

DizOz
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
We have just booked The Muse which is just off Times Square. Close enough to enjoy but far enough away to escape the noise.

We too have children and finding a good hotel for 4 in NY is hard to find. Aussietraveller this my family's first trip to Ny and are doing all the touristy things as well. Me, I visit NY a fair bit and must say not a greta fan. But DW wants to go shopping and youngest DD wants to see the Statue of Liberty. Both DD's want to go to as they say "The Place with the big piano on the floor" so a trip to FAO Shwarz is also on the cards.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

aussietravellers
02-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies. Will look at all of those hotels and will check out the UK board too!:thanks:

PrincessInOz
02-10-2010, 05:24 AM
We stayed at the DoubleTree $$, part of the Hilton chain. We had a 1 bedroom suite. The bedroom had 2 double beds and the living room had a sofa bed; so you could fit 5 if needed. There was also a little kitchenette in the living room; which was great for making coffee/tea in the morning. Can't beat the location; same for Novotel locale. DoubleTree was just above a subway station so it made getting around Manhattan really easy.

Mellby
02-18-2010, 04:55 AM
I stayed at the Double Tree Metropolitan on Lexington Avenue. I wanted to stay on the east side near Grand Central Station and actually won it using hotwire.com

Another good site to check hotels and feedback is on priceline.com

The room was a little small, but good amenities and a subway station right outside the door. Great location too!

Ms. Shuttergirl
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Not sure if you've booked your New York accom yet but we stayed at Crowne Plaza Times Square in October and it was fabulous. The location, well it just can't be beat, right next door to Hershey's and across from M&M World. Hmmm, yum

aussietravellers
02-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Not sure if you've booked your New York accom yet but we stayed at Crowne Plaza Times Square in October and it was fabulous. The location, well it just can't be beat, right next door to Hershey's and across from M&M World. Hmmm, yum

No I haven't. I just can't decide where to stay, its 6 months and two weeks till NY so I should get onto it :rotfl: I've been too busy planning the WDW portion of the trip.

Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into that and add it to my list. :goodvibes

aussietravellers
02-26-2010, 01:32 AM
I stayed at the Double Tree Metropolitan on Lexington Avenue. I wanted to stay on the east side near Grand Central Station and actually won it using hotwire.com

Another good site to check hotels and feedback is on priceline.com

The room was a little small, but good amenities and a subway station right outside the door. Great location too!

Thanks I will look at that. Kind of had Times Square in mind, but the Palace isn't in times square so will look at that. :goodvibes

We stayed at the DoubleTree $$, part of the Hilton chain. We had a 1 bedroom suite. The bedroom had 2 double beds and the living room had a sofa bed; so you could fit 5 if needed. There was also a little kitchenette in the living room; which was great for making coffee/tea in the morning. Can't beat the location; same for Novotel locale. DoubleTree was just above a subway station so it made getting around Manhattan really easy.

Well thats great to hear :thumbsup2, thank you so much. I have really been leaning towards that hotel, but just can't decide.

aussietravellers
04-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to thank everybody for their replies.

I have just booked at Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square. Got a good deal I think, through Expedia. They had a 24hr 10% off accommodation so I priced the same room direct with Doubletree and saved quite a bit with the Expedia sale. So NY here we come (well in September that is :rotfl: )

cinderella8989
05-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Hi,

Has anyone stayed at the edison hotel?

Thankyou,

BzBeiber
07-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Where are you looking to stay, specifically, in NYC?

There are a bunch of affordable, great options, if you're willing to go OFF the beaten path!

Lulu83
07-04-2011, 03:53 AM
I can recommend where NOT to stay in New York - Hotel Pennsylvania

Words cannot express how terrible this place is :eek: Don't be fooled by the location (directly opposite Penn Station), don't be fooled by the history and don't be fooled by the website. This place is a nightmare!

I can't even begin to write what's wrong with it or I'll get myself worked up (I put in two written complaints about this place after our stay - thankfully only one night in transit - and never even received an acknowledgement :mad:) so if you want to see for yourself check out TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d214197-Reviews-Hotel_Pennsylvania_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

I do have photos if anyone wants proof but I have removed them from my holiday photos and put them in a hidden file so I never accidentally look at them and relive the trauma..

Busy Busy
07-04-2011, 06:46 AM
We'll be at the DoubleTree in September too!! :dance3:

We stayed there for 5 nights in September 2009 and just loved it. We arrived at 6.30am after catching the "red eye" overnight and we were exhausted. We were thrilled to be able to get into our room straight away.

After such a great start the hotel just got better!! We had a great room, plenty of space and perfectly clean. The bathroom was big and the beds and bedding were amazing. :love:

We are heading back for another 5 nights before we go to Orlando. We will be with another family (3 kids) and they have never been to NYC - we assured them that this is a great place to stay. Even though it's right in the middle of Times Square, you walk into a foyer (always manned by a security guard), then go up 3 floors in a lift to the lobby, so it is quiet and always completely safe.

One of my favourite memories of the DoubleTree was when we had just crossed the road to head back to the hotel when a hand grabbed me :scared1: I jumped 3 feet then realised that it was one of my customers from work - there in the busiest place on earth I knew somebody!! My family are still shaking their heads over that one!!

battymum
07-04-2011, 06:57 AM
BusyBusy, I think this thread was started back in 2010 - so these guys have all had their stay. ;)

But I just wanted to chime in and say we are staying at the Doubletree for 4 nights October 2-6 - 2011!:woohoo::woohoo:

we are heading that way after WDW and our cruise.

Glad to read some glowing reviews.

Busy Busy
07-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Battymum,

I just realised that this was started back last year!! My excuses.....blonde, tired, school holidays, 80 days until we leave, washing just finished and needs to be put into the dryer but I'm on the computer, Billy got kicked off MasterChef.....things are CRAZY!!!!

It looks like you are doing your trip in the opposite direction to us - we willl be in NYC first, then headed to WDW. You will LOVE the DoubleTree, and there are so may great things within minutes. One of the best is the EarthCam just downstairs - outside the souvenir shop next door. I have stood there like a ratbag waving at the camera for everybody at home - and I made my parents do it for us last year too - it was great!

Plus the chain restaurants like Famous Dave's and Bubba Gump - ridiculous amounts of food, and of course Footlocker....my 13 year old son wants to know if we can go straight there on our first night - we will only have been travelling for 25 hours so - of course we can!!! Sooooo excited!!

battymum
07-04-2011, 07:28 AM
ooh, do you have a link for the webcam?

Busy Busy
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
It's amazing - the DoubleTree entrance is about 50 metres to your left.

I called home from upstairs to tell them to look in 10 minutes, and we were down there in about 2 minutes!!

It's great to look at this at different times of the day - New Years Eve is MENTAL!!

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

battymum
07-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for that, we will definitely give it a wave or two when we are there.

cola
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Someone mentioned the Pod hotel earlier, Yotel has also opened up near Times Square. They do have rooms that will sleep 4 + roll away (First cabin - terrace/hot tub) They look compact, but clean, free wifi, and some have terraces with hot-tubs! If everyone in one room is ok, might be a new option to check out.

Tracy72
07-07-2011, 05:49 AM
We stayed here in December last year and as mentioned the location is amazing!! But,we had corner room and it was very small. Once the bed was out in the lounge area it was very hard to get passed. We will def stay here again but will request that it is not a corner.

Busy Busy
07-07-2011, 06:23 AM
While we were staying at the DoubleTree in 2009, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys filmed their "Empire State of Mind" video on the big red steps straight over the road from the hotel! :goodvibes:goodvibes

We were there with friends and their 21 year old son was out very late, the next morning he told us all about it - they were filming at 3am and we had slept straight through it!!

Every time I see the video I imagine us 26 floors above them!!

Oh well, that shows why you shouldn't go to bed in a city that never sleeps!! :laughing:

Franrose
07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
We are booked to stay at the Hotel on Times Square, 59th W 46th Street, in a two-room suite. But now you guys have made me go look up this Doubletree... I could get a similar room at Doubletree for maybe $20/night more (can cancel HoTS up to 24 hours beforehand with no issue). HoTS has a queen bed for the kids in the living room, DT a fold out sofa bed (but they're little, so I doubt they'd notice).

Should I do it??

WAMUMOF4
07-15-2011, 01:12 AM
We are booked to stay at the Hotel on Times Square, 59th W 46th Street, in a two-room suite. But now you guys have made me go look up this Doubletree... I could get a similar room at Doubletree for maybe $20/night more (can cancel HoTS up to 24 hours beforehand with no issue). HoTS has a queen bed for the kids in the living room, DT a fold out sofa bed (but they're little, so I doubt they'd notice).

Should I do it??

We have been going back and forth about this as we were booked to stay in New Jersey as we were meeting relatives now they are not coming we just booked for 2 nights so excited :cheer2:i used the Tripadvisor rate 15% off. It gave us the best rate and we cancel 24 hours before if we need to which i hope we don't.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93352-Reviews-Doubletree_Guest_Suites_Times_Square-New_York_City_New_York.html

Franrose
07-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Done! I've used that 15% off as well. :D It will mean we are closer to Mary Poppins when we do that, and also to family who are also staying in Times Square at the same time (at the Marriott or Renaissance I think).

perthgirl
07-15-2011, 07:11 AM
We're going in Dec 2010 and the rates around Christmas are crazy! We are still tossing up between radio city apartments and the Novotel Times Square. We needed somewhere that will fit 5 in a room. We've got reservations at the moment at the Novotel times square for $349 per night including taxes. This is beginning to look like a really good price!

We are also going in dec but got a bargain 1 bed apartment at affinia dumont for (wait for it) $169 per night! i basically booked a refundable rate and stalked the five hotels we were interested in until one had a special. haven't checked lately but last time i liiked it was over $300 a night for the dates we had booked.

Busy Busy
07-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Well done Franrose, I know that you will LOVE the DoubleTree! :love:

Just 62 sleeps until we lay down on the gorgeous beds there - they are really comfy! :):)

Travel Mum
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
BusyBusy and Battymum, I thought you were both staying at Radio City Apartments so why the change to Doubletree? :confused3

Not that I'm going to New York but I wish I was so have read lots of threads on here about it hence why I read the other New York hotel thread. :thumbsup2

battymum
07-16-2011, 11:25 PM
We were originally booked at Radio City - but its an older style building, which is fine, but I have read complaints about street noise and a/c not working and being noisy.

As we are taking a return flight from Orlando, when I went to book through Expedia, I could get a package, flight and hotel, for about the same price - as booking Radio City and our flights separately.

Doubletree just looks a lot nicer, its part of the Hilton group and there is no worry about hearing any street noise and we get breakfast included- and there is a chance of getting a room with a view!:wizard:

I find it really hard to make decisions, (I am a Libran) so the beauty of being a family of five, is that there are not many options.

Travel Mum
07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh that makes sense Battymum and it will be good to hear what you think of the Doubletree. We can't do NYC on this trip but all these trip reports and NY threads have me wishing we could have so I'm taking notes just in case we win Lotto and could do a New York trip next :rotfl2:

battymum
07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes we are only going for 4 nights and I know it wont be enough - I am already wishing for a second trip (without the offspring:rotfl:)

Sometimes I think we should have dropped the cruise and spent more time in both Orlando and NYC - but then I am really looking forward to the cruise as well.

There is just too much to do - you cant fit it all in one trip.:confused3

Travel Mum
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
There is just too much to do - you cant fit it all in one trip.:confused3

So true, so true and, the more you read these travel boards, the more you see that you want to do !! I had so intended that our week offsite between WDW and the cruise would be relaxing down time with mostly unplanned days but now, I've got us committed to two days at Universal, a day at Sea World, a day to drive to Cape Canaveral to see the rocket launch, hopefully an Orlando Magic game....... :rotfl2: and now I'm a bit worried that we won't have enough days for shopping :scared1:

Franrose
07-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Same and same on the four nights and not long enough, but as we are with a group there were only two dates offered to us to come home on and we've already taken the later date.

Ooooh sooooo jealous of the rocket launch Travelmum!!

battymum
07-18-2011, 05:07 AM
I am really concerned about our shopping time - looks like we will have to choose between a second water park day or a day at the outlet mall. I know this is going to be hard on the boys, they are not going to want to shop as much as DD and me.

DH wants to check out the malls as well but I think we will split up and he can take the boys somewhere and can pick us up later.

Busy Busy
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
DH booked the Doubletree in the middle of the night - got a great deal and I loved it when we stayed there in 2009, so I was happy with the change from Radio City Apts.

This is my 3rd trip to NYC (2nd with kids) and we have always stayed 5 nights, but 5 years wouldn't be enough! I think that you make sure to see the big deal attractions, and get on the red bus tour because it covers so much in a short time. The most amazing thing about New York is the atmosphere, no matter where you are it just feels different to anywhere else....and when you get home it comes back to you every single day. Hooray, I'm so excited! :yay::yay:

battymum
07-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Do you recommend the HoHo bus, I have only read pretty negative reviews -, buses not moving due to traffic, not being able to see through the perspex roof, buses not turning up, it works out to be quite expensive for a family, so I am unsure whether to do it.
I have been looking into doing a limousine tour on our first night, to get an overview of the city - as a family its not much more than the bus - but we will be on our own. I just havent found a company that I am willing to commit with.
(it will be my birthday - someone tell my DH that this is what I want him to surprise me with:rotfl:) :lovestruc

BTW - I love smilies, and usually spend a couple of minutes choosing just the right one for my posts, now I just realised there is a whole other page of them! :jumping1:
I thought Princess had special privileges because of her high post count!!!

Busy Busy
07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Haha, those little bouncies have been waiting for ages for you to discover them! :wave2:

I love the bus tour and have done it both times that we have been in NYC. Having said that, the weather plays a big part in the experience because I think that you HAVE to sit upstairs so that you can see everything and get great pics. Each guide has different stories, but they all point out the important things as well as their own favorite bits, and as for the traffic - it's crazy everywhere, but the bus seemed to push on through!

I have never looked into the limo thing, it sounds fab, and you could talk and ask questions whenever you wanted (that would be a plus for me) ;)

Franrose
07-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Which company does these red bus tours Busy Busy? I googled and came up with the New York Pass, does that sound right?

Busy Busy
07-19-2011, 04:19 AM
The bus tour that I am talking about is Gray Line. They are double decker buses with an open top and you can buy tickets from people in red or yellow t-shirts on just about every street corner in Times Square, or from the driver when you jump on at any of the other stops on the route.

We have done the downtown loop, Uptown loop and the night tour which took us to Brooklyn for an amazing look at the NYC skyline.

The bus worked really well for us, and gave our feet a rest too! The guides have lots of good tips (the Macys 10% off card), and are New York characters to boot. :)

PrincessBelle39
07-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at or looked at staying at the New York Palace? Its one we are considering for our 6 nights in NYC.

Franrose
07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
The bus tour that I am talking about is Gray Line. They are double decker buses with an open top and you can buy tickets from people in red or yellow t-shirts on just about every street corner in Times Square, or from the driver when you jump on at any of the other stops on the route.

We have done the downtown loop, Uptown loop and the night tour which took us to Brooklyn for an amazing look at the NYC skyline.

The bus worked really well for us, and gave our feet a rest too! The guides have lots of good tips (the Macys 10% off card), and are New York characters to boot. :)

Ah thanks. Will check it out. I like Gray Line too from other tours I've done but didn't even think to look for them there.

Franrose
07-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Busybusy, just out of interest, if you were going to do this tour http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=FNYP which three (or five, if you think they're important) attractions would you do?

Busy Busy
07-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Wow, it's hard to choose from that list, but I can tell you the things that I have done. First of all, the 72 hour pass is a great idea. :thumbsup2

The Statue of Liberty is fun, and I loved Ellis Island - but I'm not sure how young kids would feel about it. Another option is to take a ride on the free Staten Island ferry which will give you amazing photos of the statue.

The Empire State Building and Top of the Rock are both amazing. We did the ESB on the first day and it's a great way to get your bearings. Top of the Rock is great at night because you get fab pictures with the ESB in them!

As far as everything else, I would look them all up and see how they would fit with your family, and how the price of doing those things separately would add up. I say that because you can get good deals from the Grey Line ticket sellers on the corners in Times Square, so saving money there along with doing just a couple of things from the list without buying the package first might be cheaper.

Whatever you do it will be AMAZING......it's New York City!! :cool1::cool1:

Franrose
07-30-2011, 04:18 AM
Just spotted "our" hotel (Doubletree Guest Suites) on TV, in the movie Enchanted. How cool is that!

(I actually only started watching the movie because the synopsis said was set in New York lol! Gotta do one's research ;) )

Busy Busy
07-30-2011, 05:25 AM
I know exactly what you mean.....there is a Mary-Kate & Ashley movie set at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas where we are staying after WDW, but I just can't bring myself to sit through it! :sick:

I did, however, watch the Jonas brothers at Atlantis with my DD6 and it was both informative and toe tapping! :)