PDA

View Full Version : P90x

MonkeyDishwasher
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Has anybody else done, or is anybody else doing, the P90X system by Tony Horton?

Holy moley! I'm on Day 4 of the "Lean" program, and man, I have been so sore the past few days! It's kind of awesome that I actually feel better while working out (as the sore muscles are getting a bit more use, and don't have time to hurt).

I keep hearing that people tend to drop off the program around Day 30, and I'm truly hoping I can push through to all 90 days!

kirkson
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
yeah, I have been doing it since last Fall, the "Classic" program. The first few weeks are just killer, but you really do start to see improvement after the first month or so. FWIW I have not been doing it "by the book" but rather as the primary part of my workout regimens, which also includes running and some other cardio and yoga videos. Plus, I haven't followed the nutrition plan. As a workout program though, it is top notch.

I started it because I was looking for something to help improve core strength to help get rid of a chronic back issue. It has been fantastic, little to no back issues any more, plus greatly improved overall strength and fitness.

Stick with it, and as Tony says, modify, modify, modify! Keep pressing play...and good luck!

Padstack
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I have been using this program for a little over a year now. It is a great program, if you stick with the full 90 days. The reason most people stop after 30 days is because they forget that it is a 90 day program and think the program is not working because the pounds don't drop off right away. If you are patient and follow the nutrition guide, you will be amazed at what you will look like on day 90.

During my first round, I went from 20% bodyfat down to 8.5%. The biggest changes did not occur until the final 30 days. That is when the fat really melted off.

brandip22
03-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Bringing this back to life! Dh and I started this yesterday. I can't wait to see the results!

MJonesMBA2001
03-30-2010, 04:52 PM
This is a question to you runners, and especially to you kirkson. If you do p90x as it's spelled out in the program, you will be doing those exercises basically every day for an hour or so a day for 90 days. The results won't be the same, as I understand it, if you spread the program out over a longer time, so that you can run.

So, your choices are to double up and do two workouts a day on days when you run, spread the program out, not as it is intended to be done, and run and do p90x, or just stop running while you do p90x.

What do you do?

kirkson
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
This is a question to you runners, and especially to you kirkson. If you do p90x as it's spelled out in the program, you will be doing those exercises basically every day for an hour or so a day for 90 days. The results won't be the same, as I understand it, if you spread the program out over a longer time, so that you can run.

So, your choices are to double up and do two workouts a day on days when you run, spread the program out, not as it is intended to be done, and run and do p90x, or just stop running while you do p90x.

What do you do?

When I am training for a race, which typically requires longer runs several times a week, I do the P90X resistance routine one day, and instead of the cardio program, I will run. So, for example, Monday I would do Chest and Back, Tuesday I would run, Wednesday I would do Shoulders and Arms, Thursday Run. Friday would vary, depending on the length of the run I did on Thursday or planned to do Saturday. The next P90X routine would be Legs and Back, which is a great routine, but very tough to do immmediately following AND preceding long runs. So, I might take Friday off, do my long run Saturday, then Yoga on Sunday. Starting the cycle again on Monday. P90X would have you take your day off on Sunday, but since I took it on Friday, I go staight through.

If I am not training for a race, but am running for maintenance, I often DO double up. Especially if its a resistance day. So I might do a 3-4 mile run in the AM and a resistance worout in the PM. This is usually fine, but I will say that running makes the Ab Ripper especially difficult. The first four moves in that routine are tough on the thighs, especially the same day as a run.

When NOT training for a race, I pretty much stick to the P90X program as written. However, I have found that after doing only P90X only for a while, i get a little burned out on it and will mix in some other workouts just for the sake of variety. for example, instead of P90X Yoga, I'll do another Yoga video, or instead of Plyometrics or Kenpo, I'll do another cardio workout.

You are also right that the results won't be as dramatic using this method. Also, I note that if you really want the results you see on the TV spots, you'll need to both follow the program to the letter AND follow the diet. I haven't tried the diet, but I am actually considering it. I'll post here if I try it.

All that said, its a great program, I really am in the best shape of my life at age 37, and there's enough variety in the program and ways to increase intensity as you progress that I am still sore after the workouts, as Tony would say, "in a good way!"

Tiger Lily 03
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the updates. I have not tried the program, but have heard it is a good one.

Hockeychic
04-06-2010, 06:10 AM
What is the difference between the classic and lean programs?

Thank you

Hockeychic
04-07-2010, 05:49 AM
I went and did It I ordered P90X yesterday I should have it Thursday or Friday. I think I am going to wait a week before starting since I am not going to have access to a DVD player for a few days so I figure I will use that as my recovery week and just still hit the treadmill.

I am going to do the Lean Program, I hope to finish 2 rounds before I get into serious training for goofy as with the longer walks I won't have the same amount of time to dedicate to the program.

I am so excited. I have checked the web and am a bit discouraged that none of the before photos of are pooh sized people like me? I am hoping it works to my advantage and I lose even more.....I can dream right?:thumbsup2

kirkson
04-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I went and did It I ordered P90X yesterday I should have it Thursday or Friday. I think I am going to wait a week before starting since I am not going to have access to a DVD player for a few days so I figure I will use that as my recovery week and just still hit the treadmill.

I am going to do the Lean Program, I hope to finish 2 rounds before I get into serious training for goofy as with the longer walks I won't have the same amount of time to dedicate to the program.

I am so excited. I have checked the web and am a bit discouraged that none of the before photos of are pooh sized people like me? I am hoping it works to my advantage and I lose even more.....I can dream right?:thumbsup2

good luck, just remember to stick with it, it is HARD but stick with it and you will see results pretty quickly. Curious to hear about your experience with the Lean program. It removes some of the harder resistance programs, but emphasizes things like the Yoga session and Core Synergistics, which are really tough (in a good way!).

I think you'll really enjoy it. Just remember, modify and pace yourself. You won;t be able to do what they do. Just do what you can. You'll see steady improvement every time, I promise.

One thing, the website focuses on the blockbuster results, which typically come from folks who were pretty fit to start and became world class fit. The latest infomercial, however, has a great example of someone who was over 100 lbs overweight and is now in incredible shape after (I think?) one full year of p90x.

Rockclimber
04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
For those runners on P90X: If you can do P90x and maintain a run training program you are HARDCORE. I did 2 13 week sessions of P90x and loved it. I couldn't keep the diet, but I really didn't need to. My normal walking around weight is 155. During the 26 weeks I did P90x I added a bunch of muscle. I actually went up to 161 and found my shirts were tight around the chest and arms.

The great thing about the workout is that you can tailor it to suit your needs. I was looking to add a little mass, and get ripped. I must say it did just that. I was in great shape to begin with and P90x helped to get me to the next level. I was able to do 4-7 mile runs 3 days a week while doing P90X, but it was more leisurely paced runs.

I am an avid marathoner and I attempted to keep up the weight routine as I began training for my next marathon, but I couldn't get a quality workout or run in. I was not able to really hit the weights or the runs at the intensity I needed. My 40 year old body just can't handle it.

I am in the last week of training for the Boston Marathon and I really miss the P90x. All of my gains from the routine are gone and I am back to having a runners body at a svelt 145lbs. I am gunning for a 3:07 time at Boston and it so much harder to carry upper body mass. Afterwards I hope to do a round of the X to get some meat on these bones.

So if you are running to simply add some extra cardio or even preparing for a shorter distance race, P90X is a great compliment. In fact, during my second go round I competed on a 4 man team at the Marine Mud challenge in Belmont, SC and won the race! Extremely fun and rewarding beating all those young whipper-snappers.

I would say if you are training for a half or longer, put the P90x on hold and refocus on your race.P90x gave me a great base to start marathon training. The plyo and leg routine really gave me great leg strength and the yoga and stretching discs really improved my flexiblity.

P90X is a top notch workout.

Dave

Tiger Lily 03
04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for your reviews.

Kim, good luck with this. I really look forward to hearing your review too.

I'd like to play, just can't seem to part with the pennies. Most of my pennies are going to my halfs lately.

Hockeychic
04-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Well my program didn't come in as expected, apparently this week:confused: anyways a friend of mine lent me some of the tapes so I could kinda start. I did plyo yesterday.....LOVED IT. Today I did shoulders and arms and I don't think I used enough weights cause I really can't say I worked any exercise to fatique but wanted to get through the entire tape first...and not knowing what to expect I thought I should go light but will up it a bit next week.

My plan is to do the P90X in the AM and my walking training in the PM. Just not enough time to do them together, as I am sooo not a morning person..I get up really early but I am lazy in the morning so this is a good thing for me.

Took photos....nasty, measurements....nasty. Time to see some change

pilotwife_02
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I just started this today as well. I'd love to have a few people to follow along with!

MonkeyDishwasher
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm at -15 pounds!

3 weeks till 90 days is over.... I think I'l ltake a week off, and then start the regular program.

MJonesMBA2001
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey, I started Insanity last week. Also by Beachbody, but is only 60 days and does not use weights - totally cardio.

I have got to say, I LOVE this workout series!! The first day was an eye opener as I was gassed just doing the warmup (and still somewhat am)! This is an excellent workout program, and I don't mind taking a break from running.

I have also changed my diet based somewhat on the suggestions in the book, but I'm not as strict about the exact foods. I am limiting myself to 1800-2000 calories a day, which is what I'm supposed to according to the standards in the book for a person my size to lose weight.

This was a really great thing for me, and I'm already seeing and feeling results. Day one for me was Sunday rather than Monday, so Saturdays are my days off from Insanity, and I use that day to run as long as I can, and I try to double up one day a week and do Insanity in the early morning, and run in the evening.

Y'all keep up the good work!

kirkson
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
thanks, i've been thinking about tryinmg insanity, glad to hear you like it so much

congrats to MD for the completion of the program and the great results!

good luck pw2!

MagicPrincess
04-20-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm on week 2 of P90X- so far I'm liking it (except Plyometrics-yuck!)...you don't seem to get bored because it's a different routine each day of the week.

DH had great results with it his first time around- lost 22 pounds- looks great!

We both get up at 5am to workout (yah- I know- WAY too early) but we get it out of the way and start our day! We're also doing the diet- right now I'm level 2 Fat Shredder...it's tough only having one carb a day, but I lost over 3 lbs my first week!

Good luck! we should post each week and see how things are coming along!

itseffy
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I had a girlfriend do it and she looks absolutely amazing. I was always tempted to try, but I guess with anything, it is really 30% effort and the rest mental. If I could get over my mental block to alot of things, I would match how I want to look in my head.

Padstack
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey, I started Insanity last week. Also by Beachbody, but is only 60 days and does not use weights - totally cardio.

I have got to say, I LOVE this workout series!! The first day was an eye opener as I was gassed just doing the warmup (and still somewhat am)! This is an excellent workout program, and I don't mind taking a break from running.

I have also changed my diet based somewhat on the suggestions in the book, but I'm not as strict about the exact foods. I am limiting myself to 1800-2000 calories a day, which is what I'm supposed to according to the standards in the book for a person my size to lose weight.

This was a really great thing for me, and I'm already seeing and feeling results. Day one for me was Sunday rather than Monday, so Saturdays are my days off from Insanity, and I use that day to run as long as I can, and I try to double up one day a week and do Insanity in the early morning, and run in the evening.

Y'all keep up the good work!

How is Insanity going?

I have a little over two weeks left. The first month was not so bad as I did a few of the workouts prior to starting the full program. The Max workouts for the last 4 weeks are freaking crazy. I thought I was going to die during the first couple of days. I am a bit more used to them now, but I find myself cursing at the Shaun T whenever a new set starts up. I am very happy with the results that I have had so far. Most of which have come in just hte last two weeks.

jennz
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
DH is doing P90X, he started yesterday on the second set (day 31) and is sore again. I've watched the dvds - they are tough!! I got the regular P90 for myself. Like someone said so much is mental and I *know* I can't do it. I've been doing the P90 for 2 weeks and really like it. I walk every day as well, as the P90 is just over 30 minutes/day. DH has lost 12 pounds. He lost nothing the first 2 weeks and was disappointed so stopped weighing himself and as of yesterday - 12 pounds. :cool1: Also his first 30 days was stretched out to 37 days or so. :goodvibes

He uses Accelerade from GNC as a recovery drink. He was sooooo sore when he started P90X he needed my help getting his shirt on! After a few days of it I went to GNC for him and after he started taking the Accelerade and supplements he has been much much better. Coincidence in timing? Perhaps...but it's linked in his mind!;)

kirkson
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I recently started using the P90X recovery drink after workouts and it definitely makes a difference. I've also tried Myoplex, which worked as well, but I'm lactose intolerant, so that led to other complications...ahem!

Thanks for the thoughts on Insanity, I just picked it up this week. I've got some houseguests coming next week, so I want to wait until they leave to start the 60 day clock. I will try to get in ther fit test before they arrive though, to see what I've gotten myself into

Re: weight loss, good job to all of you who lost weight! The funny thing for me was that when I started, I was already at a pretty good weight from running, but after 6 months of P90X, I am definitely leaner, in smaller sized pants, much healthier. BUT....I'm 10 lbs HEAVIER. It will be interesting to see what happens after 60 days of Insanity.

Padstack
04-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Instead of doing the Fit Test, give Plyo Cardio Circuit a whirl. This will really show you what you have in store. The Fit Test really won't let you gauge anything at this point because the rests are much longer and you only do one movement at a time.

I have lost a bit of upper body muscle size going through this program, but I knew that was going to happen. Once I finish up with the 63 days, I will be going back to a P90X/Insanity/half-marathon training, so I can get some of that size back.

I have lost 3 lbs since starting, but like you, I was in good shape to begin with. I expected to drop about 5 lbs, but I have gained a good amount of muscle in my midsection and legs.

MonkeyDishwasher
04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
OK, so final tally for my first round of P90X lean (without following the diet):

19 POUNDS!!!

Ugh, it feels so awesome to be able to say that! I've now ordered the Insanity DVDs, and will be doing those as I have a trip planned for Vegas in July.... Hopefully that'll get the rest of the weight I'm looking at losing :)

Padstack
05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
OK, so final tally for my first round of P90X lean (without following the diet):

19 POUNDS!!!

Ugh, it feels so awesome to be able to say that! I've now ordered the Insanity DVDs, and will be doing those as I have a trip planned for Vegas in July.... Hopefully that'll get the rest of the weight I'm looking at losing :)

Congrats on the weight loss! Insanity will melt the rest of the goo off for sure, but I would suggest following the meal plan for that one. Just like P90X, them biggest changes come during that last phase of the program.

kirkson
05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the tips, Padstack, can't wait to get started

Monkey, congrats!!! Great job :goodvibes

sTINKS
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
What is the p90x lean program? I just started p90x 3 days ago. It took me a while to figure out what the heck to be doing with 12 dvds. Finally got frustrated and went to beachbodies.com and did a live chat. They e-sent me a 90 day classic schedule.

I am not hanging that pull up bar in my house. Any doorways I have are no where near a tv, and I am not putting holes in my walls for an exercise program that will most likely not last 10 years.

I think that p90x is too advanced for me as I stopped working out about a year and a half ago. Did anyone else feel that way when they started?

MonkeyDishwasher
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.extremebodyworkout.com/blog/tag/p90x-lean/

sTINKS
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting that link. Unfortunately, when I clicked it, error message said page not found.

Tried to do a quick search on beachbodies.com website for p90x lean and couldn't come up with anything quickly.....pages of links, none of which seemed to be the lean workout schedule.

If anyone has the lean schedule, please post it.

sTINKS
05-04-2010, 07:39 PM
nevermind. I googled it.

Don't you think it should be easy to find on the products own website? I shouldn't have to search 3 other boards to find their product info......

off to get my bed made so I can put my aching muscles in it to rest up for what p90x has in store for me tomorrow. My legs are starting to feel 25 pounds heavier 10 minutes into a workout, and somehow I think that's a good thing.:laughing:

MonkeyDishwasher
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
If you bought the program through beachbodies or qvc, it is listed in the book that outlines that entire workout.

jennz
05-05-2010, 06:22 AM
dh is doing P90X and doesn't use the chin up bar, he's using the resistance bands. He was using the bands from Gold's Gym brand and then got one from beachbody -he said there was a noticeable difference and the beachbody band is worth the extra money.

He thought it was very very hard, but he just did what he could and kept pressing play. ;) He's on his second 30 days now and WOW what a difference in his fitness level and energy. He probably has 20 pounds or so to lose and recently it's started coming off. Before he even lost a pound he went down a belt notch.

Padstack
05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
dh is doing P90X and doesn't use the chin up bar, he's using the resistance bands. He was using the bands from Gold's Gym brand and then got one from beachbody -he said there was a noticeable difference and the beachbody band is worth the extra money.

He thought it was very very hard, but he just did what he could and kept pressing play. ;) He's on his second 30 days now and WOW what a difference in his fitness level and energy. He probably has 20 pounds or so to lose and recently it's started coming off. Before he even lost a pound he went down a belt notch.

That is the best part about this program, the versatility. I have brought the program on the road with me and most hotel gyms do not have a pull-up bar, so I used my resistance bands instead. You still get a killer workout. I have even used lat machines in a few hotels and got the same great workout.

As with the resistance bands, if your DH wants a pull-up bar, buy the P90X bar. Do not buy the other removable bars that are on the market because they pale in comaprison. The extra $20 is well worth it IMHO.

texasteacher35
05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I did the 90 day bootcamp for P90X and now I just finished INSANITY 60 day bootcamp...now I just started the Brazil Butt Lift...Love the beachbody programs!!!!!

sTINKS
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
OMG - you are crazy! Keep rockin those beachbody dvd's!!!

texasteacher35
05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
OMG - you are crazy! Keep rockin those beachbody dvd's!!!

LOL...they are a little addictive! And I am a little OCD...I can't wait for the new Chaleane DVD series out in June...called Turbo Fire! And, INSANITY Asylum is taping now...so maybe the end of the year or next year! I will do a hybrid version until the next one comes out...because the Brazil Butt Lift is only one month (4 weeks)...:yay:

momof2minnies
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Anyone have any real before and after photos? My husband and I are thinking about doing this??? I am thinking we are crazy.

TIA Linda

texasteacher35
05-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I didn't take pictures...I have always been a person who works out, so before I did the dvds I would run an average of 30 miles per week...so I don't think the pictures would do it justice! LOL My measurements definitely changed!!!!

It's fun! It makes you feel great!!

MonkeyDishwasher
05-15-2010, 12:00 AM
No pics here either... I honestly don't feel like i look that different from pre-p90 (even though every single person I know can only comment on how different I look, have I lost weight, etc.).

But in other news, I'm starting Insanity this Monday... Ugh... gotta motivate hardcore over the weekend! I'm a little nervous for this one!!!

mmouseforpres
05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Which program did you like better - P90X or Insanity? I am also a runner (20-25 miles weekly), but I need to tone my core. What would you recommend?

texasteacher35
05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
No pics here either... I honestly don't feel like i look that different from pre-p90 (even though every single person I know can only comment on how different I look, have I lost weight, etc.).

But in other news, I'm starting Insanity this Monday... Ugh... gotta motivate hardcore over the weekend! I'm a little nervous for this one!!!

Insanity is fantastic...I didn't think I could do it 6 days a week, but once you get through the first week, it gets easier and easier....well, NEVER EASY, but your body gets used to the workload! LOL...I love it! It looks very intimidating...and it is tough as heck, but definitely do-able!!!!! I loe it and I think I am addicted to it! Haha:rotfl2:

texasteacher35
05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Which program did you like better - P90X or Insanity? I am also a runner (20-25 miles weekly), but I need to tone my core. What would you recommend?

P90X is more upper body...bicept/tricept/back/chest...only one legs and back workout dvd...there is kenpo cardio X, yoga X, one core cardio wkot, and at least one more 9off the top of my head)...tons and tons of upper body, of which women don't fixate on, like men do...I think P90X is awesome, but more suited for men, IMHO...

I think that INSANITY is for everyone....it's hard, it makes u leaner, and you work the CORE during every single workout! It's great! LOVE IT :love:and can't say enough about it...and I am not associated with beachbody at all (LMAO)...I just workout all the time! If you want something for strength taining after Insanity, I would suggest P90X for men and I would really recommend Chaleane Extreme for women! ALl the workouts are targeted better for women...focusing on lower body as much as upper body and there are some good cardio dvds in that set!

HTH

kirkson
05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I didn't take pictures...I have always been a person who works out, so before I did the dvds I would run an average of 30 miles per week...so I don't think the pictures would do it justice! LOL My measurements definitely changed!!!!

It's fun! It makes you feel great!!

I wish I had taken pics before p90x,there is a definite difference. I plan to take pics before insanity, just to see what happens. Hoping to start that in June, have a nagging trapezius injury that is very very slowly getting better. Finally had to take a break from p90x to let it heal:mad:

texasteacher35
05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I wish I had taken pics before p90x,there is a definite difference. I plan to take pics before insanity, just to see what happens. Hoping to start that in June, have a nagging trapezius injury that is very very slowly getting better. Finally had to take a break from p90x to let it heal:mad:

Me too, I realy wish I had taken pictures and done the measurements....I am thinking on the next round of either INSANITY or P90X, or a hybrid, or whatever I integrate...I will take before and after pictures and do the full measurements...Right now I am doing Atkins/low carb, and it is hard to workout to my normal intensity when I have no carbs! LOL...I am going to try to run 3 miles tomorrow, wish me luck!:yay:

BeenHereB4
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey P90Xers. I'm on day 3 of the classic program. I'm a female, but in some sort of fit shape to start. I'm in need of some muscle tone and something to FINALLY rid me of this darn 37 yo, 2 children havin' belly pooch!

Glad to hear that it worked so well for some of you.

Those of you that finished, did you feel like you weren't doing enough cardio? That's how I feel right now. Prior to P90x I did 3 months of Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner stuff - pretty cardio intense. It just seems weird to have days where I just lift weights. I used to run before I started having knee problems and I think I'll add 3 days a week of a light 1-2 mile jog. I just can't see how this will limit my results with the official P90X program. But if I'm wrong, please let me know. :thumbsup2

Anyway, I'd love to work along with any of you who are currently doing the program. :goodvibes

kirkson
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Those of you that finished, did you feel like you weren't doing enough cardio? That's how I feel right now. Prior to P90x I did 3 months of Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner stuff - pretty cardio intense. It just seems weird to have days where I just lift weights. I used to run before I started having knee problems and I think I'll add 3 days a week of a light 1-2 mile jog. I just can't see how this will limit my results with the official P90X program. But if I'm wrong, please let me know. :thumbsup2

first off, congrats on starting and good luck. Its a great program, but you gotta stick with it. It will work, no doubt. Just hang in there.

As I mentioned above somewhere, I personally mixed in runs to varying degrees, esp when training for a race, so I got my cardio fix there. Plyo is a pretty intense cardio workout, and Cardio max isn't bad, but too short imo. Core Synergistics has a good mix of cardio and resistance, and is pretty tough. I am not a fan of the Kenpo workout, i don't think its intense enough, my HR typically doesn't get into the zone on that one. Its not cardio per se, but Ab Ripper always has me breathing pretty hard!

All things considered, I agree that the cardio could be better, but really, p90x isn't about the cardio the way Jillian's workouts are (love her 30 day shred btw, often will sub that in for, say, Kenpo).

I'm excited to try Insanity (hopefully next month) and anticipate eventually doing what texasteacher35 mentioned above, which is integrating the Insanity cardio into P90x.

BeenHereB4
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks Kirkson, I fully intend to stick with it! I'm so excited after reading about the results and seeing some real people result pics on the P90X message boards.

I think I will definitely be adding in some cardio on the lighter days (either running or my JM workouts). And yes, 30 day shred rocks! I remember my first day barely making it through level 1 and now I do level 2 & 3 back to back. :cool1: So fun to see your progress.

Please post back when you try Insanity. That looks like a totally killer cardio system but I have seen the after pics of several peopel who have actually developed quite a bit of muscle doing that too.

MJonesMBA2001
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
first off, congrats on starting and good luck. Its a great program, but you gotta stick with it. It will work, no doubt. Just hang in there.

As I mentioned above somewhere, I personally mixed in runs to varying degrees, esp when training for a race, so I got my cardio fix there. Plyo is a pretty intense cardio workout, and Cardio max isn't bad, but too short imo. Core Synergistics has a good mix of cardio and resistance, and is pretty tough. I am not a fan of the Kenpo workout, i don't think its intense enough, my HR typically doesn't get into the zone on that one. Its not cardio per se, but Ab Ripper always has me breathing pretty hard!

All things considered, I agree that the cardio could be better, but really, p90x isn't about the cardio the way Jillian's workouts are (love her 30 day shred btw, often will sub that in for, say, Kenpo).

I'm excited to try Insanity (hopefully next month) and anticipate eventually doing what texasteacher35 mentioned above, which is integrating the Insanity cardio into P90x.

I'll chime in here now, because I've posted here before. I am doing Insanity, I'm now in week 2 after restarting because I took a little time off, and I am LOVING it! Some of the reasons why I did Insanity instead of P90X were because of the cardio. It's truly insane on the level of cardio, and it ramps up way more into month two of the workout.

I don't want to violate any of the TOS here and seem like a huckster, but I've been so thrilled with doing the workouts that I've become a Team Beachbody coach. You can see my link in my signature, but it's www.goofyfitnessdad.com.

I am reviewing the workouts and giving a lof of content, and if you want to get any of the merchandise, please please please go through my products page, and tell a friend about me.

That's all the shameless self promotion I'll do.

On the running topic from mmouseforpres, I previously ran as my only exercise, did that for years and years. It about killed me to commit to 60 days of Insanity, but I did it. I'm mixing in running with my Insanity workouts, some days I'm too tired at the end, but other days I can run a half mile or a mile just to keep it going. I started on a Sunday rather than a Monday, whic makes Wednesday my "cardio recovery" day. I was not impressed with that Insanity workout, so I run on that day. Also, because of when I started, Saturday is my off day from Insanity, so I run about 6 miles on Saturday. One thing I'm about to add to my blog is a schedule where I mix in the Jeff Galloway marathon/half marathon training with Insanity, and show where you could do a hybrid of Insanity, focusing on the running. This would get you some great exercises for your core, like you want.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm just really hooked on Insanity.

Please forgive the shameless plug, but, as in my blog, I hope I'm giving away way more information than I'm trying to promote.

Nicole786
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I wanna wake this thread up for a question lol It seems that those who do P90x are already in great physical shape. I consider myself a moderate athlete (I am a beginner runner among other things) but I'm concerned i'll injure myself with the intense workout. Anyone have thoughts on this?

BeenHereB4
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I wanna wake this thread up for a question lol It seems that those who do P90x are already in great physical shape. I consider myself a moderate athlete (I am a beginner runner among other things) but I'm concerned i'll injure myself with the intense workout. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while! LOL I was in your position when I started P90X and don't recall any injury the first time (I just started round 2 last week). Just do what you can and don't push too too hard. Modify some of the moves or do less reps until you can work your way up. Then you can use heavier weights, etc.

Not sure if this helps any, but for the record, I've done quite a few workout programs (I highlight my progress in my blog listed in my signature line), and P90X has given me, by far, the best results.

If you are still unsure, why not try something like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (which has 3 levels) and then move to P90X from there?

Rockclimber
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I still love P90x. I did it 3 full rounds, but now I have modified the strength routines, and only workout with the plyometric, yoga and ab ripper dvd's.

But I can tell you that although p90x is intense it really doesn't use heavy weights or lifts that are technically difficult. Where p90x packs a punch is in the cardio aspects of all the workouts. Even on the "lifting" days you are moving really fast between exercises, so your heart rate is always up.

Could you get hurt? There is always that possibility, but I think the workout does a great job at minimizing that. My advice would be to start out slow the first week or two. Do what you can for those first weeks. But by the third week, push to do what you never thought you could.

alaskanabbott
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a simular question as PP. I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. I'm NOT fit, at ALL! I can't do a push-up, pull-up, or jumping jack. Ok, I CAN do a Jumping Jack, but not with out feeling like my bladder is about to bust. My DH started P90X about two weeks ago and looks great, but he had very little body fat, and was pretty great looking, just "loose in the cage" to steal a P90X line. I've been half heartedly trying the video's, we leave for WDW in a week, and I've decided to go ahead and go full-bore when I get back, diet program et al. Has anyone had luck going from flabby and out of shape, to thinner and in-shape? I'm not expecting a six-pack, I have birthed 6 kids, that's the only 6pack I'll ever see again. Still, I'd like to feel better about being in a bathing suit.

Mrs.Malone
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a simular question as PP. I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. I'm NOT fit, at ALL! I can't do a push-up, pull-up, or jumping jack. Ok, I CAN do a Jumping Jack, but not with out feeling like my bladder is about to bust. My DH started P90X about two weeks ago and looks great, but he had very little body fat, and was pretty great looking, just "loose in the cage" to steal a P90X line. I've been half heartedly trying the video's, we leave for WDW in a week, and I've decided to go ahead and go full-bore when I get back, diet program et al. Has anyone had luck going from flabby and out of shape, to thinner and in-shape? I'm not expecting a six-pack, I have birthed 6 kids, that the 6pack I'll ever see again. Still, I'd like to feel better about being in a bathing suit.

I had to chuckle at your post because you sound JUST like me (bladder and sacrificing your 6-pack to your kids and all :rotfl:). I do have more weight to lose than you do, more like 50 lbs.
I've only just begun--I'm about 3 weeks in now--but I'm sticking to it though I'm muddling through some of the moves that are still just impossible for me with my level of non-fitness. I'm starting to see the beginnings of some results. I've lost 7 lbs and more importantly I'm starting to see that my strength and endurance are increasing. I can actually do a couple of push-ups now and could not do even one good one when I started! :thumbsup2
I don't do the diet plan; my doctor recommended just a balanced diet of around 1500 calories a day and that is working out well for me. I'm sure if I followed the P90X eating plan to the letter I'd have better results but I have to do what I know I can stick to.

I also don't do the whole P90X yoga DVD. I'm not there yet AT ALL strengthwise. I substitute a shorter yoga DVD plus a short cardio DVD on my yoga day. Hoping to switch to P90X yoga at day 45.

Have a great trip to WDW. Good luck with P90X when you get back!

alaskanabbott
01-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I also don't do the whole P90X yoga DVD. I'm not there yet AT ALL strengthwise. I substitute a shorter yoga DVD plus a short cardio DVD on my yoga day. Hoping to switch to P90X yoga at day 45.

Have a great trip to WDW. Good luck with P90X when you get back!
Thanks for your post. I actually do most exercises in my bedroom, so that when they are taking water breaks I quickly take a "water break" of my own in the master potty. I like the idea of substituting the yoga, I think I will do that also at first. The diet plan for P90X seems almost too much food for me to loose weight!? I may have to tweak that also. When I get back I may PM you to see how it's going, if that's ok?

Mrs.Malone
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for your post. I actually do most exercises in my bedroom, so that when they are taking water breaks I quickly take a "water break" of my own in the master potty. I like the idea of substituting the yoga, I think I will do that also at first. The diet plan for P90X seems almost too much food for me to loose weight!? I may have to tweak that also. When I get back I may PM you to see how it's going, if that's ok?

Those water breaks do come in really handy!
I would be glad to hear from you sometime later. Have a very nice trip! I'm so envious!

ScubaD
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I walked into Weight Watchers on December 16th and weighed in at 297 pounds and knew I had to make a change. I had also ordered P90X several months ago but let my son borrow it. So I retrieved my workouts and started it three weeks ago (just completed the third week).

Now I had been an athlete my whole life so these workouts are what I loved to do. Could I keep up with Tony and the gang? Not a chance. But I did do what I could do (I did my best and forgot the rest:rolleyes1). My old football coach used to say "every day and every way, just a little bit better" and that is my goal. Now, am I keeping up with the gang, not really, but I am getting better. My second "go 'round", after WDW trip in April, I should be hanging with the team (accept the wall squats:scared1:)

So far I have lost 21 pounds and 2 inches off the waist.

Keep up the great job everyone.

Dave

bellaminnie
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
wow scubad/dave thats great! i've started p90x for the 3rd time now. i've never gotten to the kempo dvd. i think this time i'm really going to go for it. i was trying to to do the doubles and by the time i got to the leg workout after just doing cardio i was just done. the wall squats killed me and i couldn't do anymore, i just stopped after that. i've never completed the yoga dvd either, it think i've gotten thru 30 minutes of it. it's just boring because you keep doing the same think over and over again. i like the idea someone had to substitute with a shorter yoga and a cardio dvd.

BeenHereB4
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
In regards to the yoga, if you can get through the 1st half, the 2nd is much much better. And no more vinyasa! :)

bellaminnie
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
In regards to the yoga, if you can get through the 1st half, the 2nd is much much better. And no more vinyasa! :)

really, ok maybe i'll suck it up and do the whole yoga dvd. that's my workout for tomorrow. thanks!

BeenHereB4
01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
really, ok maybe i'll suck it up and do the whole yoga dvd. that's my workout for tomorrow. thanks!

Or just fast forward to the better part - not that I have ever, ever done that though. ;)

bellaminnie
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Or just fast forward to the better part - not that I have ever, ever done that though. ;)
Amazingly i made it thru the entire yoga dvd. I had someone else do it with me so it forced me to do that entire thing. you were right though it did get better, Thanks!

kirkson
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
to each their own, I guess, I really LIKE the first 45 minutes of Yoga X, but HATE the second half with the balance poses

For those of you who don't have the time or inclination to do 90 minutes of Yoga X, I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself a copy of Tony horton's "Fountain Of Youth" Yoga, which is part of his One on One series (Volume 1). He specifically designed it to replace Yoga X for those who couldn't/wouldn't do 90 full minutes. It is 45 minutes and it is GREAT.

BeenHereB4
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Amazingly i made it thru the entire yoga dvd. I had someone else do it with me so it forced me to do that entire thing. you were right though it did get better, Thanks!

Yay you. It's easier to get through the first half when you know there is something better to come from here on out.

bellaminnie
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I actually made it thru week 1! I'm now on week 2. Hopefully i'll actually lose some weight. What week did you start noticing results?

BeenHereB4
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I actually made it thru week 1! I'm now on week 2. Hopefully i'll actually lose some weight. What week did you start noticing results?

The first month was great for me but I know lots of people don't see visible results until the Phase 3 because lots gain muscle weight in the beginning. But don't worry, it will pass and you'll be looking hot soon enough! :goodvibes

Congrats on getting through the first week. That is really great!! I'm about to start again since I stopped months ago and feel I'm back where I started.

I wish you tons of luck. I'm sure you'll see results. It's a great program. Just try not to eat too much junk and you WILL see results.

Mrs.Malone
02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm thrilled to report that I just gave the yoga video another try (now, about a month into P90X) and I made it through the whole thing! Could I do everything as well as Tony? No, not even close, and there were some things I could not do at all ("the crane"!). But at the beginning of P90X I couldn't even make it through the first 15 minutes so I was really excited to see my improvement!

BeenHereB4
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm thrilled to report that I just gave the yoga video another try (now, about a month into P90X) and I made it through the whole thing! Could I do everything as well as Tony? No, not even close, and there were some things I could not do at all ("the crane"!). But at the beginning of P90X I couldn't even make it through the first 15 minutes so I was really excited to see my improvement!

:thumbsup2:banana:

bellaminnie
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM

:cheer2::banana::dancer:
That's great! I have yoga tomorrow well see if i can make it thru the whole dvd again.

Mrs.Malone
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks, BeenHere and bellaminnie, for the yoga cheers. :)

I am actually looking forward to doing it again soon!

MonkeyDishwasher
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, I did a month of Insanity starting at the beginning of the year, and unfortunately didn't see any of the results that I'd seen with P90X... That being said, I'm starting up Round 2 of P90X tomorrow. I'm excited to get back into the routine and see some more definition... again.

vickiemariko
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I was just browsing and found this thread. I'm hoping there are some P90x people out there to get this thread going! I casually did the program last year and saw pretty good results. I follow the "lean" schedule, with a few tweeks. I do the plyo dvd in place of the cardio and I have a confession to make.....I've never done the yoga dvd :rolleyes: I've always opted to do a long run that day because yoga doesn't really float my boat. But I think I will give it a try tonight possibly. I just started again and am going to try really hard to stick it out the 90 days. This time I also want to stick to a good, well balanced diet. I'm on day 4 and it's going good. My arms and abs are sore, but a good sore :) My family and I are going to Disney June 1 so that gives me just enough time to get beach ready!

kirkson
02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
I was just browsing and found this thread. I'm hoping there are some P90x people out there to get this thread going! I casually did the program last year and saw pretty good results. I follow the "lean" schedule, with a few tweeks. I do the plyo dvd in place of the cardio and I have a confession to make.....I've never done the yoga dvd :rolleyes: I've always opted to do a long run that day because yoga doesn't really float my boat. But I think I will give it a try tonight possibly. I just started again and am going to try really hard to stick it out the 90 days. This time I also want to stick to a good, well balanced diet. I'm on day 4 and it's going good. My arms and abs are sore, but a good sore :) My family and I are going to Disney June 1 so that gives me just enough time to get beach ready!

I know everyone hates the Yoga rountine, but I can't emphasize enough how important it is to the program and how good it is for your general fitness. As a runner and p90x grad, I can tell you with certainty that replacing yoga with a run is not a good substitution. If you really can't get yourself to do 90 minutes, do yourself a big favor and get Tony Horton's One on One: Fountain of Youth. It is a 45 minute routine and it is GREAT.

Congrats on the restart and good luck, if you stick it out through 90 days, you will see big improvements. :thumbsup2

J3nn78
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I am starting P90X next Saturday. I am also doing the Lean version and I will be trying to build back my running mileage after having surgery on my knee 7 weeks ago. I will be checking back here soon!

vickiemariko
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Today is day 9 of for me! I did plyo and took the dog out for a run. I felt great doing the plyo today, I was super excited. I'm taking note and this week I will do the yoga!! I will just have to wake up at about 5 am to do it.

vickiemariko
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I am starting P90X next Saturday. I am also doing the Lean version and I will be trying to build back my running mileage after having surgery on my knee 7 weeks ago. I will be checking back here soon!

Awesome! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

MonkeyDishwasher
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
So I'm in the recovery week of Phase 1... 5 pounds down! Whoo hoo!

BeenHereB4
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
So I'm in the recovery week of Phase 1... 5 pounds down! Whoo hoo!

Terrific. Keep up the good work. I loved the Phase 2 workouts.

vickiemariko
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Day 10 workout done! Shoulders and Arms went really good today. I'm completely toasted now and I'm actually happy about that! Going to bed early early tonight so I can get up and do yoga, wish me luck :laughing:

vickiemariko
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
So I woke up and did the yoga today. I don't know if it was the extremely early hour or the fact that it was just so dang long, but I really didn't enjoy it. I think I will get the other Tony yoga dvd and see if I like that one better. I did learn something though, I'm good at yoga:thumbsup2 Now learning to like it will be an adventure :lmao:
Tomorrow is day 12 and I'm supposed to do Legs and Back, plus the ab ripper. I'm hoping that some of my soreness in my arms subsides so I don't have to cry my way through the pull-ups.....oh wait, I do that anyway ;)
Now I need to go to sleep before the banana chocolate chip muffins on my counter convince me to eat them!

kirkson
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
So I woke up and did the yoga today. I don't know if it was the extremely early hour or the fact that it was just so dang long, but I really didn't enjoy it. I think I will get the other Tony yoga dvd and see if I like that one better. I did learn something though, I'm good at yoga:thumbsup2 Now learning to like it will be an adventure :lmao:
Tomorrow is day 12 and I'm supposed to do Legs and Back, plus the ab ripper. I'm hoping that some of my soreness in my arms subsides so I don't have to cry my way through the pull-ups.....oh wait, I do that anyway ;)
Now I need to go to sleep before the banana chocolate chip muffins on my counter convince me to eat them!

congrats on getting through it! Surprising that you are good at it, but still don't like it? I struggle with it, which makes me not want to do it, but as I improve, I actually enjoy it more. Anyway, hang in there, try fountain of youth, and great job! Legs and Back is the one that I can't stand, it seems endless and dull to me. But its a great program

kkmauch
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi all! New to the thread!

I just started P90X on Monday. Normally work out in the mornings, but today was not a normal day, so legs and ab ripper will be tonight. Following the nutrition plan (though I did cheat last night and have the rest of my nieces mcdonald's french fries from he rhappy meal) and am already seeing results. Haven't really seen any weight loss, but have clothes that fit better already.

Legs and arms aren't quite as bad as they were earlier in the week. Yoga sucks and it is my least favorite day. My sister and I are doing it together (we live together) and both have different goals. But, we're both going to stick it out the 90 days and then take a week off (for a trip to Australia) and then start again. We have a disney cruise in November to get ready for!

We should have our resistence bands by Monday (just ordered them online) and have been using weights and a pull up bar. It's not an in the door pull up bar, it's on our weight bench. It's not very friendly to use and it's in another room, so it makes doing the pull ups harder. We'll try the bands this week and see how that goes.

Best of luck to all of you doing the P90X!!!

vettegirl
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Week 7 here. Just did Plyo today and am super sore in my triceps from yesterday. I am loving the way my arms are looking, years of the gym didn't do for me what this work out is doing!

kkmauch
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
First week done! Have dreaded push ups tonight, but am focusing on the positive.

Lost 1.5 inches in waist and 1 in arms already! Only 1lb lost, but that will come with time. Am sincerely in love with Kenpo and have a very love/hate relationship with yoga. Keep it up everyone!

Mrs.Malone
03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Great to hear so many people doing well! I had been doing well with the exercise plan for several weeks and was really starting to feel stronger and healthier but over the past week or so I am feeling burned out. It is getting so hard for me to push the "start" button on the DVD player when I know I am going to be stuck there in the basement for the next 60-90 minutes. I know--bad excuse!! But I need to do what is going to work for me long term.

I do love Tony Horton and the P90X program in general. I'm thinking of getting a few shorter duration DVDs (30 minutes) and substituting those 3x week and doing a P90X workout the other 3 days a week.

Today I'm going to do the Yoga, though. Like someone else said, it's a love-hate thing!

vickiemariko
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Great to hear so many people doing well! I had been doing well with the exercise plan for several weeks and was really starting to feel stronger and healthier but over the past week or so I am feeling burned out. It is getting so hard for me to push the "start" button on the DVD player when I know I am going to be stuck there in the basement for the next 60-90 minutes. I know--bad excuse!! But I need to do what is going to work for me long term.

I do love Tony Horton and the P90X program in general. I'm thinking of getting a few shorter duration DVDs (30 minutes) and substituting those 3x week and doing a P90X workout the other 3 days a week.

Today I'm going to do the Yoga, though. Like someone else said, it's a love-hate thing!

:thumbsup2 for trying to make it work long term! I've been wondering how I'm going to feel in a few weeks when burnout starts to creep in.

J3nn78
03-08-2011, 06:33 AM
I started on Saturday. I am doing the lean version and have done Core Synergistics, Cardio X, Shoulders/Arms and Ab Ripper X. So far I have really enjoyed the workouts. They have been varied enough that the hour goes by pretty quick. I AM dreading Yoga tonight though. I don't enjoy yoga and I don't really ever have 90 minutes of time in my day. I WILL make the time though. I can't wait to start seeing results.

vettegirl
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I dread the yoga too, funny today is my yoga day . I am so excited as Tony Horton is filming a new P90x program as we speak. I follow him on twitter and facebook and love hearing all the updates.

kirkson
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I've never tried it, but Tony does have a 10-minute Trainer series that is supposed to be really great. Maybe worth checking out for those who struggle with the longer workouts

Also, I think i mentioned I am doing Tony's One On One series now and most of those workouts are on the short side. most are between 20 and 40 minutes. They tend to focus on one area of the body (for example, arms only or legs only) rather than two or more areas, but they are GREAT. I would recommend them for p90x grads, but they may be a bit tough if you haven't already gotten through p90x at least once.

J3nn78
03-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Ugh! Yesterday was Yoga and I HATED it. But I did the whole thing. Thank God, I knew from reading here that it gets better after the halfway mark. I think my biggest thing is boredom and it is too time consuming. But I will do it faithfully every week to give it a chance to be as great as they claim. We shall see.

vickiemariko
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Today was day 17 for me of the "lean" program, shoulders and arms. My arms feel totally fatigued so i know I'm going to be sore tomorrow. But that is great, it means stronger muscles next time :thumbsup2
I just found P90x and Tony Horton on facebook and I love looking at the success stories that get posted, very inspirational. I also love how everyone quotes the dvds, hahaha.

J3nn78
03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
I finished Week 1 and I feel great! I love sore muscles-reminds me all day of the good I am doing.
I am really enjoying P90X and so glad I took the plunge! I am looking forward to adding my running schedule into it from here on out. I did not run this week because I wanted to see how I felt on what days. And how cardio intensive it is.

Congrats to everyone on their success so far! It is awesome to read about!

kkmauch
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Done with week 2! Starting week 3 tonight. So far no real weight loss (maybe a pound or two) but 3" lost in waist and 2" lost in upper arm. Can definitely see a difference in my face and my clothes feel much bigger. Wish the weight would go too, but it will in time.

Had my first bout with dining out and family birthday parties while on the nutrition plan for P90x this weekend. Decided on a chicken and lettuce only salad from chipotle and had a half a slice of cheese pizza and two servings of causar salad (dressing was already on so I picked the parts that looked to have gotten the least dressing). Avoided all soda, even my favorite, for the 14th day in a row. I don't even miss it most days.

All in all not an easy thing to get used to, but I am loving it.

vickiemariko
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Today is day day 25 for me and I'm in Rest week. Today was just a stretch day!! But I'm really looking forward to the Phase 2 workouts, Bring It :thumbsup2 My main focus for the next phase is to really focus on eating well. I'm trying to get my protein in lean forms and eat lots of fruits and veggies, but some days it is a struggle. I'm going to try to plan ahead more for meals and make sure the fridge is full of good choices.

ScubaD
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I find it amazing that for the last 11 weeks that my body has been sore. I know I am pushing it during the end of the first P90X series and that is why I am sore (and it feels great by the way) but I thought the soreness would subside. I guess my muscles are confused!!!

So far I have lost over 40 pounds (Weight Watchers too!) and almost five inches in the waist.

Great program, but next go 'round is P90X "1 on 1". Looking forward to this bout of soreness.

Dave

vickiemariko
03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I started the phase 2 workouts this week. So far so good. Today was yoga and I recruited my hubby to do it with me. It was so much better having a buddy! I am sore though from yesterdays chest, shoulders, and triceps. Trying to do the crane pose almost killed me :rotfl:
I'm so excited to be getting stronger and seeing my reps and weights go up! I've also graduated from doing half of my push ups on my knees, to almost all of my push ups in regular plank :cool1:
I hope everyone else is still doing good with their workouts!!

J3nn78
03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I just finished Phase 1 Adaptive and Mastery weeks. Now onto the recovery week. I am dreading double yoga this coming week. Ugh!
I know I have not lost any weight yet (only have about 7-10 to lose anyway) and I have still been eating not so wonderful anyway. But I am seeing LOTS of improvement in strength and flexibility. My 2 legged hamstring stretch has gained at least 5 inches in 3 weeks. I have already had to go out and buy heavier weights too. I examine my arms everyday in the mirror and love the toning I see. I can only imagine how great it will be after 90 days. I can't wait.

All in all, I am REALLY glad I decided to give it a try. I have watched the infomercials for years and was always intimidated, thinking it would be too intense for me. But I LOVE it and I know when I start really adding back my running mileage, I will be in the best shape of my life!

vickiemariko
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I just finished Phase 1 Adaptive and Mastery weeks. Now onto the recovery week. I am dreading double yoga this coming week. Ugh!
I know I have not lost any weight yet (only have about 7-10 to lose anyway) and I have still been eating not so wonderful anyway. But I am seeing LOTS of improvement in strength and flexibility. My 2 legged hamstring stretch has gained at least 5 inches in 3 weeks. I have already had to go out and buy heavier weights too. I examine my arms everyday in the mirror and love the toning I see. I can only imagine how great it will be after 90 days. I can't wait.

All in all, I am REALLY glad I decided to give it a try. I have watched the infomercials for years and was always intimidated, thinking it would be too intense for me. But I LOVE it and I know when I start really adding back my running mileage, I will be in the best shape of my life!

I just went out and bought a heavier set of weights too :cool1: So excited to see gains in strength. I only have a little weight to lose as well, and I'm really trying to keep tabs on my eating. Good luck with the double yoga you can do it:thumbsup2

MindyLuvsMickey
03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Joining in the fun here. I just stared the p90x lean program today. I started doing the classic but thought the lean was a better fit for my overall goals. Ive lost 10 lbs since getting serious about a diet a few weeks ago and am hoping to drop another 30. I'd happy with 20, though.

My husband is in his recovery week of phase 3 and he looks amazing. He wasn't overweight to begin with. Just soft. Now he's well on his way to a six pack. He's preparing to start the Insanity series next week.

Mickeyflower
04-07-2011, 01:42 AM
I didn't read all 7 pages but I wanted to know if anyone has done this that has A LOT to loose. I have 100 lbs to loose and wanted to know if this would be too advanced to me? Should I wait until I've lost 30 or 40 before I start it?

stitchfan23
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I have just under that amount to loose and am doing P90X. I commited to do it with my hubby as he wanted to do it (he is quite fit). If I had to do over I would do Power 90 first. Actually we are half way through the 90 days and after they are over I am going to go down to Power 90. P90X is too advanced for me at this time. There are some days I can do pretty good on the program and other days there is just no way (no cardio stamina). I would suggest start with Power 90 or even Slim in 6 to get started to build up your overall fitness before trying P90X.

vickiemariko
04-09-2011, 11:59 PM
I finished up week 7 today of my P90x lean! I have to say that I've been sore practically everyday since I started this little venture :lmao: The soreness isn't nearly as bad as it was in the beginning, but it's still there. So I know it must be working! I am pretty excited that I can do 10 reverse grip pull ups now :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to letting my muscles recover a bit this week and can't wait to start phase 3.

J3nn78
04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I finished up week 7 today of my P90x lean! I have to say that I've been sore practically everyday since I started this little venture :lmao: The soreness isn't nearly as bad as it was in the beginning, but it's still there. So I know it must be working! I am pretty excited that I can do 10 reverse grip pull ups now :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to letting my muscles recover a bit this week and can't wait to start phase 3.

That is great. I have the muscle soreness too. But I like it-makes me know it is working. I am starting Week 6 now. My pullups are getting better. I can now do them with the chair way out in front of me. Hoping to do them unassisted by the end of phase 2.

ekraxa
04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
DH and I just started P90X today! We'll be 6 weeks in before we head down to WDW in June. We're planning to take the CD's with us and do them during our vacation. Anyone have any tips for helping us stay faithful to P90X at the Pop?

vickiemariko
04-17-2011, 10:36 AM
DH and I just started P90X today! We'll be 6 weeks in before we head down to WDW in June. We're planning to take the CD's with us and do them during our vacation. Anyone have any tips for helping us stay faithful to P90X at the Pop?

Welcome to P90x!! I hope your first day went well. My family and I are going to Disney in June as well (June1-14). I will have finished my 90 days by the time my family vacation starts, but my hubby is a month behind me and really wants to keep up the program while we are there. I'm going to buy some resistance bands, since we use weights now. Those will be easy to pack. We also have a pull up bar that we can unscrew and fit in our large suitcase. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside and I'm worried about the amount of space in the room. It could get a bit tricky trying to do the core syn in a hotel room (superman/banana/ and bow/boat!). I'm also a bit worried about the plyo and if it will disturb other guests if we are jumping around for an hour in our room. My thought was to write the plyo workout on a spreadsheet and then do it outside with a timer.
I think our biggest obstacle is going to be "when" to workout. I'm an early riser, but we're coming from Utah and it's a 2 hour time change. So 6am feels like 4am and DH would die if I woke him up to workout that early :) I'm thinking we'll go to the parks at opening and then take an afternoon break where we rest and then workout.
If you come up with any other ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them! Good luck with your workouts!

kirkson
04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
In the one on one series, there is a great workout that is made to be done when you are on the road and lacking your normal equipment. You don't even need the video, honestly, as long as you get the concept, which could not be more simple. it is called UML (for upper, middle, lower)

You do three moves, one upper body, one core, and one legs. So, for example, pushups, then crunches, then squats. You do three to six (depending on the time you have and how you feel that day) sets of three moves. You can either repeat the same moves, or do different ones each time

for example, first time through you could do Standard pushups, in-and-outs, and standard squats. Second time you could do military pushups, crunchy frog, and side lunges. and so on and so on.

the idea is just to maintain your fitness while you are on the road so that when you get back home, you can start right back up again without having lost anything.

RunningGirl
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi all! :wave2:

I just started P90X yesterday. Yowza! I am pretty sore. I decided to keep a light running schedule going while I do the P90X and I don't think it's really affecting me negatively. I do think that tomorrow morning's run is going to be a slow one after plyometrics today. I discovered that I really STINK at jumping. That rock star jump?! Yeah, not even close to getting my heels to my butt. I'm excited to see improvement in the muscle tone. I'm not trying to lose weight, just firm things up a bit.

Dennyha
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I am half way through Week 12 of the program. A week and a half to go to finish my first round.
I'm thinking of trying a round of Insanity next to mix it up. After 12 weeks of P90X, I know all of Tony's lines before he says them.:rotfl2:

That can't be good.

ekraxa
04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
DH and I just completed week 1 of P90X-Classic (only 11 more weeks to go!)

I love that I can already notice a change in my body. Even though my muscles are sore I can feel them getting stronger. I stand up straighter!

I love that every day the workout has been different. I get easily bored so I enjoy having something new each day. Also I've noticed that the work outs are varied enough that soreness from previous days workouts doesn't slow me down --- much. It does seem to work through the muscle groups nicely.

I'm really looking forward to Stretch X tomorrow (my rest day). Then I can't wait to get back into the cycle again and see if I can push myself farther this week. I had a hard time this week figuring out how to do some of the exercises. I look forward to getting more coordinated and feeling stronger.

J3nn78
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I took this week off. I should be week 3 of phase 2. But I have spring break and so much going on with family that I didn't want to stress myself out with workouts. Its funny how I have a harder time working out when I am off of work rather than cramming it into my day with working full time. I am a routine kind of gal. If I don't have one, I don't do well with exercise. So next week I will just do my week 3. I may do 2 more weeks before I do the recovery week since I skipped this week.

That's So Raven
04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I've already completed round of P90x and I'm getting ready to start my second round. As tired as these workouts make me, I absolutely love them. Can wait for the next edition to come out.

vickiemariko
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi all! :wave2:

I just started P90X yesterday. Yowza! I am pretty sore. I decided to keep a light running schedule going while I do the P90X and I don't think it's really affecting me negatively. I do think that tomorrow morning's run is going to be a slow one after plyometrics today. I discovered that I really STINK at jumping. That rock star jump?! Yeah, not even close to getting my heels to my butt. I'm excited to see improvement in the muscle tone. I'm not trying to lose weight, just firm things up a bit.

I keep a bit of a running schedule and it has been going well. I usually run a few miles with my dog on days when it's all strength training. But I try to do at least a mile for a warm up on all days. The only mistake I made was running 4 miles before plyo! :laughing: I was so sad towards the end of that workout. I thought I was feeling fantastic that day...I totally crashed.

I'm into week 9 now and doing well. I'm super excited about seeing the tone in my arms :thumbsup2 Who knew I had triceps?! Thank you Tony :goodvibes

vickiemariko
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I've already completed round of P90x and I'm getting ready to start my second round. As tired as these workouts make me, I absolutely love them. Can wait for the next edition to come out.

I'm excited for the next edition too! Can't wait for new workouts :thumbsup2

Goofy_Mom
04-22-2011, 12:42 AM
can i play? i'm on week one of the 20 week turbo fire workouts. i've already done the prep schedule and the 5 day inferno. i've only lost about 7 lbs so far, but i have dropped about 14 inches. the goal is 80 lbs total. i'm already thinking about the next step. i may see if my sis wants to trade, she has insanity, or order the advanced expansion for turbo fire, or order insanity's alsylum. p90x isn't my thing, after looking at reviews and what the workout were, i'm more intrested in cardio than weight training. turbo fire uses resistance bands, so I am getting tone.

RunningGirl
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
I keep a bit of a running schedule and it has been going well. I usually run a few miles with my dog on days when it's all strength training. But I try to do at least a mile for a warm up on all days. The only mistake I made was running 4 miles before plyo! :laughing: I was so sad towards the end of that workout. I thought I was feeling fantastic that day...I totally crashed.Oh my goodness - I can only imagine! I was so happy to do legs and back today. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't complete torture either.

Does Tony remind anyone else of Michael Scott? Just some of his phrases and the way he's buddy buddy with everyone. It keeps me entertained to watch for glimpses of Michael during the workouts. I'm waiting for him to pull out the "that's what she said!"

Good job, all! One more day and I've completed week one. The problem is, now I know what I'm dreading next week. (Plyometrics, anyone?)

MindyLuvsMickey
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Having some trouble staying on track. I completed weeks 1 and 2 with no trouble. During week three, things got crazy with some home improvements so p90x was pushed to the back burner. I did manage to get Kenpo in today and am feeling great. I'm down about 7 lbs or so since starting and at least 5 inches lost. 16.5 lbs total lost. I still have a few more to go before our trip in June.

vickiemariko
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
can i play? i'm on week one of the 20 week turbo fire workouts. i've already done the prep schedule and the 5 day inferno. i've only lost about 7 lbs so far, but i have dropped about 14 inches. the goal is 80 lbs total. i'm already thinking about the next step. i may see if my sis wants to trade, she has insanity, or order the advanced expansion for turbo fire, or order insanity's alsylum. p90x isn't my thing, after looking at reviews and what the workout were, i'm more intrested in cardio than weight training. turbo fire uses resistance bands, so I am getting tone.

:welcome: to the playgroup :) Congrats on the 7 lbs and 14 inches!! I'd love to hear about your experiences with turbo fire. I don't really know much about it.

Yesterday was yoga-x for me. I got my DD7 to do it with me, we had a good time. Today is core synergistics. I swear that I sweat the most with core!

vickiemariko
04-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Having some trouble staying on track. I completed weeks 1 and 2 with no trouble. During week three, things got crazy with some home improvements so p90x was pushed to the back burner. I did manage to get Kenpo in today and am feeling great. I'm down about 7 lbs or so since starting and at least 5 inches lost. 16.5 lbs total lost. I still have a few more to go before our trip in June.

Wow, congrats on your progress, that is awesome :yay: I have a Dis trip in June as well! I'm trying to eat really well right now and drop a couple extra lbs so I can indulge a bit on our trip :)

That's So Raven
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I wanted to try turbo fire. Do you like it? With P90x they have a lean version that is not so much about the weights. I own so many workout DVDs that I just pop in something else when I'm through if I want more cardio. I might get the new Insanity too.

Goofy_Mom
04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
:welcome: to the playgroup :) Congrats on the 7 lbs and 14 inches!! I'd love to hear about your experiences with turbo fire. I don't really know much about it.

Yesterday was yoga-x for me. I got my DD7 to do it with me, we had a good time. Today is core synergistics. I swear that I sweat the most with core!

I wanted to try turbo fire. Do you like it? With P90x they have a lean version that is not so much about the weights. I own so many workout DVDs that I just pop in something else when I'm through if I want more cardio. I might get the new Insanity too.

I'm loving it!!! In addition to the dvd's you get the 3 schedules, a resistance band, a lower body band, a tape measure, and a recipe book. no need to buy other equipment. I have 80lbs to lose total. most of the schedules are set up for a 6 day a week workout. there are 3 HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts, 2 toning workouts, 4 "basic" (kick you butt) workouts, a core workout, and 2 streching classes. one of the streching classes is an extended 10 minute stretch designed for after workouts, the othe is a yoga type stretching class. without the schedules, I wouldn't know what to do. I love that the class starts on my schedule. it was so difficult to make it to the gym for classes.

That's So Raven
04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah sounds like I might like turbo fire. It looks like fun on the infomercial.

vickiemariko
04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes, Turbo Fire sounds great! I may have to look into it for some variety.

Today was a Kenpo day for me. I was super lethargic this morning. Probably because last night I took my dog out running for an hour and didn't eat anything to recover. Note to self: don't do that again ;)

ekraxa
04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Today was a Kenpo day for me.

Once I get the hang of it I think Kenpo will be my favorite workout.

I may just be terribly uncoordinated but my first time through it I kept punching my own arms. I was ok with the early moves where you only throw one type of punch but once we were doing combinations I was a complete mess!

Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon because I really did enjoy what I managed to do!

RunningGirl
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Once I get the hang of it I think Kenpo will be my favorite workout.

I may just be terribly uncoordinated but my first time through it I kept punching my own arms. I was ok with the early moves where you only throw one type of punch but once we were doing combinations I was a complete mess!

Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon because I really did enjoy what I managed to do!Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I almost gave myself an uppercut to the chin! I do feel it in my arms today.

I think my favorite workout is the leg workout.

That's So Raven
04-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I think I secretly love the plyometrics workout. It wears me out, but it's such a good one.

ekraxa
04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I think I secretly love the plyometrics workout.

Wow!!! That's impressive! I can't imagine loving plyometrics. That workout kicks butt!

We just completed our 2nd plyometrics workout - I made it farther this time but still couldn't finish it. My right knee popped out a few times. I need to strengthen my leg muscles so I can keep up with all the lateral moves.

I've been a casual runner for years and P90X is making me realize how much I need to work on my all around fitness.

Looking forward to Shoulders and Arms tomorrow!

vickiemariko
04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a love hate relationship with plyo. Some days I love it and other days I just feel like throwing my shoes at Tony for making me do rock star hops. Tomorrow is my plyo day and I'm hoping that I feel energized :goodvibes. As far as my favorite workout, I'd have to say that core synergistics is really growing on me. Now that I'm getting stronger I don't just lie there like a lump when I'm trying to do the plank to chaturanga run :thumbsup2

Goofy_Mom
04-27-2011, 11:37 PM
turbo girl here. I going to have to start over. Luckily I was only on week 2. At the end of week one, I was having some ear problems. Then on Easter Sunday I got some distressing news about my Grandma. She's alive, but she's not out of the woods yet. The last few days I've been out of town. I fully expected to workout while gone, but there wasn't enough room in the hotel room and my kids were to excited to behaive without my direct attention. So, Monday re-starts my 20-week I'm-done-being-large workout plan. On the upside, my diet didn't suffer to badly. Drank mostly lemonaide and water the entire time (I was a huge pepsi addict).

Dennyha
04-28-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm two workouts away from finishing my first cycle of P90X.

When I first bought P90X, I also bought a P90X shirt, but I committed to not wearing it until I finished a cycle. I started it twice, but never made it out of the second month, due to time. (When the weather gets nice, it's harder to commit 1.5 hours to a workout in the basement.)

Anyway, I'm getting ready to break out that shirt that has been collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet.

RunningGirl
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM

When I first bought P90X, I also bought a P90X shirt, but I committed to not wearing it until I finished a cycle. I started it twice, but never made it out of the second month, due to time. (When the weather gets nice, it's harder to commit 1.5 hours to a workout in the basement.)

Anyway, I'm getting ready to break out that shirt that has been collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet.Congratulations! That is very encouraging to hear. I had my second shot at yoga today and that is by far my least favorite workout. I am really going to have trouble motivating myself to get through that one again.

Wear your shirt with pride - you've earned it!

ekraxa
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Monday re-starts my 20-week I'm-done-being-large workout plan

That's great! It's sometimes difficult to start over so I really applaud you for that. Hang in there!!!!

I just finished week 2. I'm still sore but saw enough improvement over week one that I'm looking forward to stepping it up even more for week 3. I still haven't made it all the way through the Yoga workout. The moves were much easier this week but I was feeling pretty sick that day so only did about 30 minutes of it before going to bed. My DH did make it all the way through and said the last 30 minutes weren't as bad as the first 60.

Dennyha - I love the idea of using the P90X shirt as a reward for having completed the program! Post a picture of you wearing it!!!! I think we may buy ourselves the shirts as well.

kirkson
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Anyway, I'm getting ready to break out that shirt that has been collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet.

Fantastic, congrats!! One of the great things about getting through insanity was getting the shirt...that was one well earned shirt!! Just like your p90x shirt :thumbsup2

vickiemariko
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM

Congrats Congrats Congrats!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I am totally buying a shirt when I finish my first round. I guess that's pretty soon, two more weeks :cool1:

Dennyha
05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
That's great! It's sometimes difficult to start over so I really applaud you for that. Hang in there!!!!

I just finished week 2. I'm still sore but saw enough improvement over week one that I'm looking forward to stepping it up even more for week 3. I still haven't made it all the way through the Yoga workout. The moves were much easier this week but I was feeling pretty sick that day so only did about 30 minutes of it before going to bed. My DH did make it all the way through and said the last 30 minutes weren't as bad as the first 60.

Dennyha - I love the idea of using the P90X shirt as a reward for having completed the program! Post a picture of you wearing it!!!! I think we may buy ourselves the shirts as well.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/dennyha/DSC_2113.jpg
I started Insanity today. First day was only the fit test, but was still a signficant workout. We have one week before going on vacation. I think I'll do a week, take off a week for vacation, then come back and start at the begining.

Dennyha
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I still haven't made it all the way through the Yoga workout. The moves were much easier this week but I was feeling pretty sick that day so only did about 30 minutes of it before going to bed. My DH did make it all the way through and said the last 30 minutes weren't as bad as the first 60.

Everytime you do the Yoga workout, it will seem less daunting. I won't say that it gets easy, but I think that knowing what is next makes it less of an obstacle. The first 45 minutes of the workout are the hardest. The last 45 minutes are more balancing and stretching.

RunningGirl
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Week three and I'm amazed at how much stronger I've gotten, although I don't "see" a difference yet. I was horrible at push ups and they've gotten much better - cleaner and I can do more.

I still hate yoga and dread it more than anything - especially because it's the longest! Maybe I'll discover that I miraculously gained flexibility and balance since last Wednesday.

Congrats, Dennyha! Have fun with Insanity!

vickiemariko
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I agree yoga does get better the more you do it. But it still is loooooong. Sometimes if I just don't have the full 92 minutes, I do the first 45 and then put the second part on time and a half. But I do the full yoga belly portion :thumbsup2

Today is plyo for me. I'm on week 11 now:cool1:

ekraxa
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Finally made it all the way through the yoga workout. I LOVED IT! It really felt like the second half was a reward for pushing through the first half. The belly stuff was hard core but it was so near to the end that it mentally was manageable.

Week 4 - recovery week is looking good!

vickiemariko
05-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm into week 12! Yesterday was Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps. I increased my weights on some of the exercises and I can't believe how much strength I've gain:thumbsup2. I really don't feel like this is the end for me though. I plan on doing another 90 days, but Classic program this time. I also want to follow the P90x diet plan on this next round. Has anyone out there done the diet? I'm just wondering how it affected your performance and results.

lmhall2000
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I need to read through all the posts but hope someone can help me understand this! :)

We just completed day 5..(yes, I officially detest that doggie down move in Yoga...blech!). My 15 year old son is doing it with me. I'm kind of confused as to how we do this (we borrowed the program from my husband's friend)..so do we just do 7 days and repeat the program every 7 days? We have the main kit with the DVD's then we have 4 additional ones that are in their own case.

Also after finishing legs and back today I noticed that there was an ab workout after it...are we supposed to do those each day as well?

Thanks for your help!
Tara

vickiemariko
05-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I need to read through all the posts but hope someone can help me understand this! :)

We just completed day 5..(yes, I officially detest that doggie down move in Yoga...blech!). My 15 year old son is doing it with me. I'm kind of confused as to how we do this (we borrowed the program from my husband's friend)..so do we just do 7 days and repeat the program every 7 days? We have the main kit with the DVD's then we have 4 additional ones that are in their own case.

Also after finishing legs and back today I noticed that there was an ab workout after it...are we supposed to do those each day as well?

Thanks for your help!
Tara

Hi Tara! P90x has two options, classic and lean. You can google the P90x schedule for both of them. Basically it's 6 days of workouts and 1 day of rest for 3 weeks, followed by a recovery week (still workouts but less intense). There are 3 phases and the workouts switch up with each phase. As for the ab ripper, that is to be done on designated days, not everyday. When you google the schedules it will tell you what days to do the ab ripper.
I agree, yoga is one of the more mentally and physically brutal workouts. I'm on day 80 and still don't look forward to it. But I just keep pushing that play button :thumbsup2 Good luck with your workouts!!

lmhall2000
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Tara! P90x has two options, classic and lean. You can google the P90x schedule for both of them. Basically it's 6 days of workouts and 1 day of rest for 3 weeks, followed by a recovery week (still workouts but less intense). There are 3 phases and the workouts switch up with each phase. As for the ab ripper, that is to be done on designated days, not everyday. When you google the schedules it will tell you what days to do the ab ripper.
I agree, yoga is one of the more mentally and physically brutal workouts. I'm on day 80 and still don't look forward to it. But I just keep pushing that play button :thumbsup2 Good luck with your workouts!!

I found a schedule! Don't know how I missed that in the handbook! So, essentially (we're doing classic) every time we have a legs/back or shoulders/arms type workout we ARE supposed to do the Ab ripper each time...guess we'll save those for night time...on the days we have Yoga or Kenpo we should not do ab rippers...that makes sense...no wonder I am not as sore as I thought I'd be! :) I'm still very sore but not crazy sore! :)

Thanks!!
Tara

ekraxa
05-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Welcome lmhall2000!

My DH and I are just finishing week 4 (recovery week) of P90X classic. It took us 2 weeks to realize we were supposed to be doing the ab ripper after the strength workouts. You're smarter than we are!

So far we've loved the program. There are plenty of moves we can't do (damn you Dreya Weber!!!!) but each week we see ourselves getting stronger and more flexible.

Keep us posted on your progress and congratulations for taking on...."THE X" <said in my best cheesy Tony Horton voice>

vickiemariko
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
:lmao: I was totally thinking the same thing about Dreya in phase 1!! Dreya is a monster, it's not even fair! :worship:

Today is my yoga day. I'm going into it with a positive attitude!

ekraxa
05-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Began Phase II yesterday with the Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps workout.

I've never had any upper body strength but by the end of Phase One I was starting to feel hopeful. The One Armed Push Ups have destroyed any confidence I felt! Those buggers are INSANE!

Sigh...

vickiemariko
05-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Began Phase II yesterday with the Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps workout.

I've never had any upper body strength but by the end of Phase One I was starting to feel hopeful. The One Armed Push Ups have destroyed any confidence I felt! Those buggers are INSANE!

Sigh...

OMG! One arm push ups are just cruel! I just finished week 12 and I can do some. Not pretty ones, but at least it's better than my first attempts. I pretty much just fell straight to the floor and couldn't get up those first few times :rotfl:

Rosie28A
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I am interested in losing some weight. As for the diets and complex exercises, they seem to be lots of work especially when it comes to tracking calories. Sure would like to here some comments about the mail order dinners, or even better just my sticking with TV dinners such as Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones for at least lunch and dinner. Seems so much more simple. Sure would like to hear some comments on this approach.

lmhall2000
05-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I am interested in losing some weight. As for the diets and complex exercises, they seem to be lots of work especially when it comes to tracking calories. Sure would like to here some comments about the mail order dinners, or even better just my sticking with TV dinners such as Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones for at least lunch and dinner. Seems so much more simple. Sure would like to hear some comments on this approach.

I think if that's what it takes to get you motivated then it can work....I just tire of that type of food, it just doesn't taste good! You can make your own food from fresh or available pantry food....
Example for us today:
boiled eggs and 1 whole wheat english muffin...easy
1/2 apple for snack
lunch was a 3 bean chili canned soup and I added black beans and kidney beans then topped it with a serving of shaved cheddar (white) cheese. Filling!
Dinner will be chicken breast sauteed in garlic/olive oil on top of a salad with oil and vinegar for dressing...

Most mornings it's multigrain cheerios with skim milk, but every now and then I need protein or hot breakfast, a quick omelet is great!

Dinner can be 2 veggies...baked potato is great as long as it isn't loaded with sour cream/butter...just one pat butter and some scallions and cheese can do the trick....

We also will grill hamburgers or chicken on the grill and freeze them for heating up in other things later...

Good luck!! You can do it!!

We are on week two of p90x..I am really sore in the shoulders, but feel pretty good about being stronger....I have a long way to go, but hope we can stick it out for the 90 days!! I do not like the plyometrix..I have damaged knees and the jumps are soo hard on them, so I seem to have to modify a lot on that disc..the rest I can atleast try to a good degree....

Hoping as the weight comes off..the knees will be stronger!! :)

Tara

vickiemariko
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

I agree with Tara, whatever will get you motivated and works for you is great! Another alternative to frozen dinners is canned soups. I love that there are so many varieties that ring in at about 200-260 calories per can. One of those, a slice of whole grain bread, and a piece of fruit, and I'm totally stuffed. One of my staples that I keep in the house when I'm trying to drop a few pounds is sandwich items. I buy high fiber bread, wraps, tortillas. Then lots of lean lunch meats, veggies, and spicy mustard. It's a super easy, no cook, way to eat healthy.

vickiemariko
05-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Way to go Tara with week 2 :cool1::cool1:! I have to say that the soreness does get better. It doesn't go away, but it becomes less crippling :laughing:.

I'm in my last recovery week, woohoo! I've been reading a lot of the P90x news letters and they have tons of great tips in them. I tried a couple of the recipes too and they are pretty good. I never thought about how many things you could put flaxseed in :). I'm going to have to buy the big bag they sell at costco now! When I start my next round of P90x I'm also thinking of trying out a protein shake. I'm finding it more difficult lately to get my protein in because my DD is always eating my meat that I pre cook for lunches/dinners! I think she's having a growth spurt or something.

ekraxa
05-19-2011, 07:10 PM
We are on week two of p90x..I am really sore in the shoulders, but feel pretty good about being stronger....I have a long way to go, but hope we can stick it out for the 90 days!! I do not like the plyometrix..I have damaged knees and the jumps are soo hard on them, so I seem to have to modify a lot on that disc..the rest I can atleast try to a good degree..

Congratulations, Tara!!!! My DH and I are in week 5. I was SUPER sore for the first few weeks but by week three most of the soreness had gone away and I was already seeing huge improvements in my workouts. Things I couldn't do the first week I was able to do the third week.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

vickiemariko
05-22-2011, 10:10 AM
My 90 days are up!! :cool1::cool1: I'm so glad I started this program, I'm hooked. I'm going to do a week and a half of the doubles schedule starting today. I leave for Disney soon and want to get in some extra workouts :thumbsup2. It was my rest week this week and I actually missed the strength workouts a lot! I'm excited to get back into the routine.

Keep up the good work everyone!! Glad to see all the progress :cheer2::cheer2:

ekraxa
05-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, vickiemariko!

I'm so jealous of you being done. Just this morning my DH and I were talking about how fatigued our arms are from the Shoulders and Arms workout that we did two days ago.

Are you going to post an after picture wearing a P90X shirt?

vickiemariko
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, vickiemariko!

I'm so jealous of you being done. Just this morning my DH and I were talking about how fatigued our arms are from the Shoulders and Arms workout that we did two days ago.

Are you going to post an after picture wearing a P90X shirt?

Yes! I need to buy one first though! But then I will post a pic of me wearing it. I'm not as buff as Dreya, but I'm still a P90x grad :)

I know what you mean about the arm fatigue. Within minutes of completing an upper body workout I can feel the fatigue setting in. It makes washing your hair feel like a major chore! I'm always more sore about 36 hours after a tough workout.

PRmamiDEdos
06-03-2011, 02:48 PM
For two years in a row, I have started this, stuck with it for 30-60 days and then stopped. I have a love/hate relationship with p90x. I'm on it again and hope to stick with it this time because it does work. The first time I did it, I lasted a good two months and lost 15 lbs. Those 15 lbs. have started to creep back so I have to be serious this time around. I'm doing more weight during the workouts and pushing myself harder and it HURTS!!!

PP is right, washing my hair has become painful but after 2 weeks, I've lost 2 lbs. (after gaining 5 in muscle weight), an inch off my waist and 3/4" off each arm. DH is really good at pushing me, but we can't always do the workouts together b/c he has really odd hours. I do love the days when he's home and we do p90x together. I yearn for the day that I can do an actual pull-up instead of doing the bands, LOL.

Does anyone complete their workouts on beachbody.com? If so, you can find me there. PM me for my user name if you want a buddy.

iheartdisney
06-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I just found this thread! I am on day 1 of Power 90, the prequel to P90X. I am not in shape for P90X, I tried it, and it was killing me. The Power 90 seems just my speed though. I've done both workouts as a "walkthrough" and started for real today. My goal is after I do my 90 days with this, I can go back to p90X and KILL it! lol. But it hurts to type right now. :rotfl:

vickiemariko
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Hello P90xers!! I just got back from my Dis vacation and I'm ready to get back into the P90x groove. My family and I were there for 13 nights on the dining plan and needless to say....it was not Tony Horton approved :lmao:. So starting Monday I'm going to do another round. And I'm going to try really hard to stick to the diet plan to maximize the results. I have a good motivator too, my 10 year high school reunion is in August!!

MonkeyDishwasher
06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh man, I'm back on P90X, but Classic this time. I'd never done the plyo before as I had stuck to the Lean program and holy moley is it a butt kicker! I can do almost all of the DVD, until I hit the last chunk of moves. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the whole thing on week 5.

I'm currently on day 3 of week 3, but I didn't get around to Plyo yesterday, so I figured I'd do a double today. Needless to say, my body isn't thrilled with me right now. But it needs to deal with it!

iheartdisney
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Day 3 of Power 90.
I can already feel the exercises are getting better... I can do more and have a little left for the last segment. And I have gone from hopelessly flailing during the quad stretch to actually balancing! Thats right- by the end of the circiut, a didn't even need my chair!

PRmamiDEdos
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Stick with it!!!!:cool1:

MindyLuvsMickey
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Getting back on the P90X wagon after we get back from Disney next week. I've dropped 25 lbs so far but would love to drop another 14. I think adding muscle will help burn the last of the fat away.

Classic this time :)

iheartdisney
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Week 2, Day 2. Abs = PAIN!!!!! Still pushing play though. :thumbsup2

vickiemariko
06-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Today is my day1 of the classic program! Oh man I have lost strength during my break. The dive bombers used to be so much easier. But I'm going to get back into the routine! I'm in the same boat as iheartdisney right now. My abs are already feeling sore.

Way to go Mindy! Love to hear about sucesses!
:banana:

PRmamiDEdos
06-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Getting back on the P90X wagon after we get back from Disney next week. I've dropped 25 lbs so far but would love to drop another 14. I think adding muscle will help burn the last of the fat away.

Classic this time :)

I get to Disney on Saturday and I don't want to slack while I'm there. I would love to continue my workouts at AKL but I don't know if the gym has a DVD player or free weights. Although I can do plyo, I hate to just go for a run or doing boring exercises. I love that the p90x program keeps me going.

I've been using heavier weights this time and trying to build muscle. DH has been encouraging me to do this, but bulking up kind of sucks for a girl. I'm hoping the muscle overtakes the fat soon, LOL.

cewait
06-21-2011, 05:42 AM
I get to Disney on Saturday and I don't want to slack while I'm there. I would love to continue my workouts at AKL but I don't know if the gym has a DVD player or free weights. Although I can do plyo, I hate to just go for a run or doing boring exercises. I love that the p90x program keeps me going.

I've been using heavier weights this time and trying to build muscle. DH has been encouraging me to do this, but bulking up kind of sucks for a girl. I'm hoping the muscle overtakes the fat soon, LOL.

Forget the DVDs, print out the routine and head on down. Not 100% sure but I seem to recall free weights in all Disney gyms.

PRmamiDEdos
06-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Forget the DVDs, print out the routine and head on down. Not 100% sure but I seem to recall free weights in all Disney gyms.

I have the p90x android app on my phone but it's only to log what exercises you did, what weight you used and how many. Where can I find the routines with the way the exercise is done online so I can print it?

Hockeychic
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Has anyone lost alot of weight doing P90X either the Lean or Classic versions. I have about 50 pds to lose and in reading the beachbody website most people lose about 10 - 20 pds cause they are already pretty lean.

Just curious if this is for me or should I just be concentrating more on cardio only till I get to t a better weight. I already have P90X so no money would be wasted.

Thank you

Kim

cewait
06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
I have the p90x android app on my phone but it's only to log what exercises you did, what weight you used and how many. Where can I find the routines with the way the exercise is done online so I can print it?

Unless you are entering a new phase, you really should be familiar with how to do each set. I guess that if you are not sure, then that can be an issue. The link to the spreadsheet I use follows.

One thing that I have done is rip and transfer DVD's to my iDevice. That gives increased portability to the program.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/get-fit/fitness-tools/workout-sheets

Either excel spreadsheet at the bottom of the list will give you your workouts.
Note that a printer friendly version of each workout is located on the far far right tabs.

Now I am going to go look for apps....

cewait
06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Has anyone lost alot of weight doing P90X either the Lean or Classic versions. I have about 50 pds to lose and in reading the beachbody website most people lose about 10 - 20 pds cause they are already pretty lean.

Just curious if this is for me or should I just be concentrating more on cardio only till I get to t a better weight. I already have P90X so no money would be wasted.

Thank you

Kim

Honestly, if you are looking to lose weight, you need a weight program. Cardio alone is not enough for many folks. Is P90X the correct program? Not 100% sure. The correct program is one where you will have 2-4 strength sessions a week and one that you will actually follow. P90X can be intimidating, but do not let it be. Tony ALWAYS gives cues for those who are not quite ready for the full effort exercise. So in a nutshell, P90X can be the tool that you use for strength workouts. I do encourage a beginner in strength workouts to understand proper form during the workout. Tony does not always give form cues early.... I suggest having a large mirror as you start off so you can see what your are doing.

Hockeychic
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks Coach!!!!

vickiemariko
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Hockeychic- P90x is great for weight loss, but I do find that I need a little bit more cardio in order to see the scale move quicker. When I first started with the lean p90x, I just followed exactly what was on the schedule. Then for the second half of my 90 days I added in my running again and the weight started coming off. I've heard of some people doing the cardio dvd 2x a week in addition to the regular dvds, and that really helping boost weight loss. But since you are just starting I would stick with the regular program and see how it goes from there. You don't want to burn out too quickly. You want to make it a program that you will see through to the end. Good luck and welcome to the X :thumbsup2.

End of week 1 classic for me :yay::yay:. I'm really looking forward to the rest day tomorrow. I've been trying to follow the p90x phase 1 diet this week and I'm not being very successful. I am also keeping up a running schedule and I think that I just need more carbs. I've never felt so wiped with p90x before, so next week I'm going to try out the phase 2 diet and see if that increases my energy levels.

MAF
08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I just finished week 5 today! :banana: I must admit I thought about quitting after not seeing much results after day 30, but heard that you don't really see huge results until after the 60 day mark. Am I the only one who can't stand Dreya? :laughing: Oh and Katie too, "I'm gonna do Corn Cobs!" Ugh... :rotfl:

CoachJason
08-05-2011, 08:15 AM
I just finished week 5 today! :banana: I must admit I thought about quitting after not seeing much results after day 30, but heard that you don't really see huge results until after the 60 day mark. Am I the only one who can't stand Dreya? :laughing: Oh and Katie too, "I'm gonna do Corn Cobs!" Ugh... :rotfl:

I get so mad at some of the moves I cuss at Tony :yay:

I am in week 13 now. Loved it so much I became a coach for BB. Awesome program! I am down about 20 pounds :woohoo:

I saw huge results the first 30 and almost stagnant the last 60. Just how it is. Everyone's different. Focus on the process and not the results. You (and I) will get the results we desire if we just keep pushing play!