PDA

View Full Version : I counted...25+ loads of laundry a week!

lonegirl
01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Try it, you'll be amazed at how many loads you do! So we'll be needing new machines soon and wanted to know if those new steam machines are worth it???

shaylahc1
01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
I have 4 kids and we do about that many loads a week. We call throwing the wash in "feeding the laundry monster":rotfl: I actually don't mind washing it...but putting it away and ironing----bleah:sad2:

ETA we have a front loader and it saves us about $50 a month on our water bill. We always wash on cold, though.

msmayor
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
25 loads a week? My household has 4 people and I do 11 loads a week...and that includes towels and sheets.

abcboys
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
We are a family of five and I do nowhere near 25 loads a week! I would go crazy!!! But, we reuse towels and jammies and I also don't change sheets every week.

pyrxtc
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Family of 6 and we do about 6 loads each week.

disykat
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Family of 4 (all adult sized) plus a sometimes muddy dog and we usually do 9 or less. I do 3 - 5 loads of clothes a week and 2 - 4 loads of linens (towels, everyone's sheets, and I also rotate through blankets etc. so they get washed occasionally)

Even though my teens are capable of doing their own laundry I prefer to do everyone's together - no one is allowed to do partial loads.

kayla87
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. Two people, two dogs, max 4 loads of laundry a week. I refuse to do more laundry than that, so it it doesn't fit in four loads, it waits until next week :teeth:

Our washer and dryer are about as old as me, so I'm simply waiting for the day we need to replace them. I don't know much about modern appliances, so I'd be interested to hear what other people use. I don't think I've ever known someone who uses a steam washer.

J3nn78
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow!
We are a family of 4 and I do 4-5 loads a week. I do them all on Saturday. Usually 2 color loads, 1 white, and 1-2 sheets and towels
We do not put things in the hamper unless they are truly dirty or been worn more than once or twice (except underwear!)
We have a LG Front loader.

mommy2allyandaveri
01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
I do 8 loads per week, all linens included. We are a family of 4. I change sheets weekly and towels weekly. We lived with my in-laws for a short time while waiting for our house to be ready. The do not re-use towels at all. They did a load of towels every day:scared1:

a1tinkfans
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
:laundy: OMG! that is a LOT of time in the laundry room, :eek:
Family of three...I do laundry one time a week, (if the teen misses it, he is OUT of luck!) We each have our OWN laundry basket and one in mens bathroom. All dh dirty stuff is 1 load, mine and the ds together, and then an undergarment wash ( I think we could go 2-3 weeks with all the undies we all have) :rotfl2: and an all towel wash and I am done! 4/5 loads with sheets. They get changed once a week but I often wait another week to wash it since I have so many sets to use. I wash, hang up many things to dry, throw the rest in dryer, and literally it gets hung up and put away. I really try to just be done with it all!
I am not a big fan of ironing. Sons stuff gets hung to dry mostly and then hung in a closet. Jeans (literally like 10 pairs) are hung on a hook in his room. The dh shirts get ironed as little as possible. He does not have to wear dress shirts but is always in a collar one, more casual style.
Me, I am usually not dressed up as I work at home :lovestruc and am comfy and lately in shorts and sneakers to jump on the treadmill thruout the day...but thats another story :rotfl2:
I am usually done in a full morning, doing other things while the machines are running. I am a Serious Multi Tasker :lmao: and usually am washing the floor or vacuuming or getting something else accomplished while that goes on. I also like to clean that same day, just once a week with "straighten ups" during the week.....Once a week dog grooming as well....then theres shopping, then theres errands and household finances, and work...GEEZE, I need a REST! :rotfl2::rotfl2: BUt I know there are many of you out there doing the same things, SUPER women for Sure!!! :thumbsup2

pearlieq
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
What the heck are you washing? Do you all change clothes 3 times a day? :laughing:

We are 4 adults and we maybe do 5-6 loads per week.

JEFFSWIFE11
01-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I think I do 15 to 20 loads a week. I wash everything, but hate to put it up. I have my husband and kids do it :).

CTdiznymom
01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
We're 3 working adults and a sahm. I do a load of 6 towels every day. Sheets get changed every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. My 2 dd's wear 3 outfits a day. Work clothes, gym clothes, and scrub clothes at home. If they go out after coming home say for drinks then it's another outfit which ends up inthe hamper as they don't dare wear it again. Needless to say, I am doing laundry 3 times a week roughly 4-5 loads each time. Then I do all my dh's shirts/pants which means Friday is ironing day. It was so much easier when they were children! I'm beginning to feel like Cinderella. :laundy:

StephMK
01-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow, what the heck are you washing and how big is your family &/or washer? We have a set of Whirlpool Cabrio HE and do maybe 5-6 a week? DH & I share a hamper & each kid (3) has their own. DD16 does her own laundry & DH does the rest at night mostly during the week. I do the sheets & change the beds.

Our washer will hold a full hamper full of stuff. He usually does 1 of the kids colors, 1 whites for everyone & 1 for us colors & DD's load +plus sheets/towels and sometimes the towels get thrown in w/other stuff.

I also don't iron unless completely necessary and won't buy clothes for the kids that need it. DH does his bus casual shirts as needed for work. Mostly we hang quickly to minimize wrinkles.

Tinker'n'Fun
01-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Family of 4. 3-5 loads per day depending on if I am doing sheets or pillow cases. I average 28-35 loads per week. We do re-wear pj's and we have uniforms that need to be washed daily.

Kat77
01-28-2010, 02:09 AM
We average 20 loads a week easily BUT we do not reuse towels and that is honestly the majority of our washing. I never knew other families reused towels until well into my adulthood. When I was growing up my mom was a home nurse and super freaky about sanitizing our towels since she brought home all sorts of germs daily :sick:. DH works for an airline so it just carried on here. It's probably an unnecessary habit (just thinking through it now) since any germs are most likely washed away before towels get used. :confused:
:rotfl: Dh washes our kids gym clothes waaay more often than I do! It icks him out I will wait to wash them on weekends BUT the kids do not have daily PE & only wear them indoors for 1 hr. 2-3x's/wk. I do believe this is the one and only household thing he is pickier about than me!!!

buzz5985
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM
I average between 7 - 10. We are a family of 4, 3 adults and one child. I have 3 laundry hampers, 1 for whites, 1 for warm, 1 for cold. Hand wash and delicates are done separately. Everyone sorts their own clothes into the appropriate hamper, and you better turn your clothes rightside out, or inside out depending on how the item is washed. If there is a stain - you better spray it. LOL When one of the hampers is full, that is a full load. Every morning I will grab whichever one is full and throw it in the washer. DH does an additional load of his work clothes which is kept separate - he is a plumber. I only wash towels about every 5 days. Each person has their own color towel - mine is lavender - and none are the same color as the "company towels". Sheets get done once per week.

Janis

CC12005
01-28-2010, 06:04 AM
If you do 25+ loads a week, you probably do not want a steam washer & dryer. I do not have one, but I recently purchased a new front W&D. During my research I found out that the steam setting is very limited and time consuming. During the drying cycle if you would like to use the steam setting the max amount of garments was 4 at a time. You would probably quickly stop using the steam cycle & regreting you spent the thousands extra just for that function. Hope that helps.

indimom
01-28-2010, 06:42 AM
We are a family of four and have about 10 loads a week. 25 would KILL me!!!
I do the kids' bedding every other week and rotate them so it doesn't all get done in one weekend. They take baths at night so I figure it isn't really getting dirty. They wear pajamas for several days in a row for the same reason. We reuse towells 2-3 times before they go in the hamper.
We usually have two loads of DH work clothes, two loads of jeans in the winter months, two loads of whites/lights, a load of colors, and a load of towells, 2-3 loads of bedding depending on the season. I wash and dry all day, setting aside the few items that wrinkle easily, then we have a family folding/hanging session at night that takes about an hour while watching TV. I hang A LOT to avoid wrinkles. I hate ironing, but do a little every now and again.

NYCDiane
01-28-2010, 06:45 AM
There's no reason to have 25 loads of laundry per week. That's ridiculous.

wdwfan16
01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
25 loads a week. We do that in a month. We have the high capacity front loaders, so that does help. Plus we reuse our bath towels. Each has their own towel they reuse.

If I had to do 25 loads in a week I would move to a nudist colony.

lonegirl
01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
I am OP and should have added, three boys who play HARD...dirt/sweat daily. Plus they play in "play" clothes, so that's two set of clothes per day: school and play. Soccer three times per week times for two of the boys and husband coaches. Husband is in construction and comes home smelly. Baby in house so that's at least 2 outfits a day plus crib accidents. Husband and I both work out daily so that's two sets of smelly gym clothes. Sheets are changed weekly, we do reuse towels for 2-3 nights. When I met husband, he was a clean/germ fanatic, so I knew what I was getting into! :rotfl2:
On the plus side, I never have to pick up after my husband, as he is more of a clean/organized freak than me!

punkin
01-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I empathize. My DD11 refuses to reuse pajamas and I change our sheets weekly. Both my kids will not reuse bath towels so that's a lot too. I also use kitchen towels and rags for cleaning rather than paper towels so add that in. However I do not have 25 loads per week. That's really a lot.

My washing machine broke down and it took almost 3 weeks to fix it, so I am currently doing backlog laundry and I still think I will be done in less than 15 loads.

ETA: I just saw the OP's soccer post. I do have to agree that my DD11 who is in a sport produces a lot more clothes than the rest of us, and her "uniform" is white so I am constantly washing it.

crjack
01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
We have a Cabrio washer & dryer set that I really like. It's top loading but does not have an agitator. When I was researching a new set the Cabrio actually had the largest capacity...even more than the front loading.

My small laundry area is now upstairs but I really didnt have the right set up for the front loading doors. I actually like the top loading style - no pedestals and less bending over.

The new machines really do hold a lot more so hopefully you will be able to cut down on the number of loads you do per week. We are also a family of four with active teens and a large dog and I definitely don't do anywhere near that much laundry.

I can easily wash my king size comforter in my machine.

Good luck with your new machines. There have been other threads with recommendations on front loading machines that might help. The LG's seem to be very popular. Also, Feb is a popular month for appliance sales so you should see some good deals.

Kimkimba
01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I emphasize. In the winter, I'd say I do close to this. We do have an old washing machine that will be getting replaced fairly soon. My husband usually works outdoors and wears layers so his work clothes alone are several loads a week. And we don't reuse towels.

Summer laundry is so much easier.

SaraJayne
01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
We're 3 working adults and a sahm. I do a load of 6 towels every day. Sheets get changed every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. My 2 dd's wear 3 outfits a day. Work clothes, gym clothes, and scrub clothes at home. If they go out after coming home say for drinks then it's another outfit which ends up inthe hamper as they don't dare wear it again. Needless to say, I am doing laundry 3 times a week roughly 4-5 loads each time. Then I do all my dh's shirts/pants which means Friday is ironing day. It was so much easier when they were children! I'm beginning to feel like Cinderella. :laundy:

Pssst...if your children are old enough to drink, they're old enough to do their own laundry. ;)

We're a family of 4 and I honestly don't think we even do 25 loads of laundry a month. :confused3

java
01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
family of 6 - do about 3 loads a day so about 21 a week. 2 dogs, 4 kids and 2 adults. Towels, sheets, kitchen towels. That alone is at least 3 loads.

On the steam stuff- when we were looking our guy told us it basically was a buzz word nothing more. Think about your washer- clothes are getting wet so how is it going to steam clean them? If you use the hot wash cycle- or the sanitize cycle in a regular machine you are doing the same thing without paying the premium for the steam.

On a dryer I can see getting it as it probably would help with wrinkles. But washer- nope don't see it worth the added $$ and neither did my salesman

delmar411
01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
for those who have those large capacity front loaders, how many less loads do you do a week now that you have the extra room in the washer/dryer?

I think we could get our laundry down quite a bit with a front loader but the price tag still puts me off.

wdwfan16
01-28-2010, 09:02 AM
for those who have those large capacity front loaders, how many less loads do you do a week now that you have the extra room in the washer/dryer?

I think we could get our laundry down quite a bit with a front loader but the price tag still puts me off.

We do 1/2 as many loads and in 1/4 of the time. The time savings is so worth it.

puffkin
01-28-2010, 09:13 AM

I agree. That is incredibly wasteful. Even with the OP's description that still only is 2 loads a day tops. Either she isn't washing full loads or is washing way more clothes than necessary!

mjkacmom
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
With our front loaders, I do about 2 loads a day. However, my dryer died on me on Monday, and I couldn't get it fixed until yesterday ($165 - $20 part - wish my DH was handy!). I had stripped the beds, so I did wash at my mom's, and 2 neighbors homes. I don't know about the steam washers, but my front loaders hold almost twice of what my old top loaders held.

DawnM
01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I am sure I do about 5 loads a week or so. We have a large capacity front loading machine, but still.....25 loads?

I can't even afford to do that!

We change clothes daily too.

Thankfully our laundry room is large enough that I have put in that wire shelving from Costco and each child has his own shelf plus a shelf for towels and one for me. There isn't nearly as much putting clothes away stuff!

Dawn

mjkacmom
01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
:rotfl: Dh washes our kids gym clothes waaay more often than I do! It icks him out I will wait to wash them on weekends BUT the kids do not have daily PE & only wear them indoors for 1 hr. 2-3x's/wk. I do believe this is the one and only household thing he is pickier about than me!!!

Wow, dd13 brings her gym clothes home about once a month (I think they make them). However, I don't think I've ever seen her sweat! :lmao: Ds11 is going to JH next year, and I suspect I'll have to make him bring them home more often - there are many times he needs multiple showers a day (he plays lots of sports - 2 - 4 teams a season).

java
01-28-2010, 09:35 AM

I would say it cut down about 2 of my loads only. But I do MORE laundry now. as it's easier. So hard to say. My stuff is getting washed more frequently.

rockundergirl
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
This is an interesting subject, I was just talking about this with a friend last week. People have very different ideas of what clothes are dirty. My friend has habits that I ( no offense) find really gross. ( btw this started with me finding out she does laundry once every 2 weeks and its only 2 loads, she is a single woman who has to go to the laundry mat to do wash.) She wears certain things many times before washing them and uses certain things many times before washing them. Like her gym clothes she wears like 10 times before washing ! I wash mine every time I use them . Her bed sheets once a month.. mine once a week. her bras she wheres like 5 times before washing , me one time. Even her bathroom towel lasts her the full week. I use mine,, once for my body,, next time my hair,, then its dirty for laundry. I had no idea you could wear clothes more then once with out washing! This is why even tho its just my 4 year old and me , i do about 6 loads a week. Sometime more.

lonegirl
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
OP again.... obviously every family is different in preferences/lifestyles/etc. but I was wondering if climate also plays a large part. We live where there is often 100 percent humidity, and it is in the 90's-100's for six months of the year. Even when temps are not high, the humidity here makes clothes/towels STINK. When I am staying with family in Pennsylvania, I notice a huge difference. Whatever the case, I will be looking for a larger capacity washer the next time around. Thanks for the advice!:laundy:

disfan07
01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
We have 3 adults in our house.

We dont have a set on what we wash per week. I have 8 sets of sheets for my bed and my parents have about 10 sets of sheets for their bed. We only change sheets every saturday but we probably only wash sheets twice a month because we have enough to last about 2 months.

We alsoo have enough towels to last us more than a week so we only do towel about every 7-10 days.

We do wash jeans every week because we each only own about 5-6 pairs
And we do underwear each week.
Thats all we do EVERY week.

maybe we all just have too many clothes in my house, but both my paretns can got for more than a week befor they have to wash shirts and I can got about 2 weeks before I have to wash shirts.

I mean, I can get like 20 of my shirts into a wash so there is no way I'm doing a load of shirts before I NEED more shirts.

If we dont have enough of somthing for a full load, we wait until we do. Unless we absolutely NEED something specific.

We do probably about 10-15 loads per month (15 is unusual for us)

delmar411
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
We do 1/2 as many loads and in 1/4 of the time. The time savings is so worth it.

halving our laundry would be wonderful. If I didn't have to deal with a bed wetter I'm sure we could get our laundry down to just a couple dark loads, a white load and then a couple loads of towels.

Maybe there will be some super sale next month that will put the price within reason. :teacher:

Whomever has the friend that wears her gym clothes 10x before washing, that is simply disgusting! I can't wait to get my gym clothes off after a single workout, there is no way I'd put them back on again the next day unless I had washed them already. :scared:

PinkRhombus
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

No kidding.

2 adults, two kids. I do one load a day plus one or two extra a week.

Load #:

1 - Uniforms (have a weeks worth), plus a few reds, pinks & purples (we have two girls).
2 - Towels
3 - Whites
4 - Darks - Pants and Jeans
5 - Darks - Shirts, etc.
6 - Reds
7 - Kids - this is just a mixture of colors
8 - Sheets
9 - Misc

kellia
01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, that is a lot!!! Do you have one of those small size washers or something?

We are a family of 5, I do about 10-12 a week. My sons are 7, so I guess their clothes are smaller and use about the same amount of space as us adults and teen. I do end up with a load of winter coats and snow pants about every week or so for the boys in the winter, though. I don't re-use pj's, but we do use the same bath towel for a couple of days and I cange sheets every other week.

We do have a lot more towels during swimming season when dd has practice every day and has to use 3 towels a day- one for out of the pool, one for after shower, one for her hair. :cutie: She was shown how to use the washer after she explained all that to me!

jakoky
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
HI...we are a family of 5 with a lab...i do a LOT of laundry also, BUT i am very picky with how i do it, which is part of the problem....i hate clothes when they pill, or pick up lint from other things...i am very careful with all our good clothes-t-shirts, hoodies, jeans....i will wash 3 blue hoodies together, 4 white ones, 9 red t-shirts...etc...so i probably wash 3-4 loads a day, but only 1-2 goes in the drier...the smaller loads of good stuff is ALL hung to dry, never sees the drier...Also, 5 beds once a week makes 1-2 loads alone...i fight with my kids to reuse their towels, so we use them 2 days at a time...and i cannot rewear jeans,pj's or tshirts myself..i guess i am weird that way...we all rewear hoodies...my dh is an electrician and does some very dirty and cold jobs-he creates me 1-2 loads a week of his own stuff....:scared1:

My new front loaders are awesome though, loads are half the time, cleaner, and i can fit more in...it is great...:woohoo:

tzolkin
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
OP again.... obviously every family is different in preferences/lifestyles/etc. but I was wondering if climate also plays a large part. We live where there is often 100 percent humidity, and it is in the 90's-100's for six months of the year. Even when temps are not high, the humidity here makes clothes/towels STINK. When I am staying with family in Pennsylvania, I notice a huge difference. Whatever the case, I will be looking for a larger capacity washer the next time around. Thanks for the advice!:laundy:

I agree with you to some extent.

We reuse our towels several times, but they are always completely dry (even in the summer). In the winter I could hang them in front of the stove for 15 minutes and every person could probably use the same towel. (Obviously I don't do this, but I'm just saying they dry quickly enough that they don't get mildewy.)

I do a bit more laundry in the summer because the kids play outside all day and they get sweaty, so none of their clothing is re-worn. But, the summer clothes take up much less room than jeans so it mostly evens out. I hang all our clothes out to dry in the summer, so even if I did more laundry I'm still saving a lot of money/energy by not running a propane dryer.

I do think some people are just wasteful and do too much unnecessary laundry. My aunt and her kids take more than one shower per day and each have to use three towels every time-- body, hair, and put one on the floor. That seems ridiculous to me. I have super thick hair that is down to my butt and I can dry myself with one towel. At least buy a rug and only use one towel per shower if you're not going to re-use them. My SIL will only wear a pair of jeans once. She's a nurse, so she may only wear the jeans out to dinner for an hour, not all day. (My DH is also a nurse and I have to steal his jeans to wash a pair once a week.) SIL has even been known to wear one pair in the morning, take a nap, and then wear another pair on her days off. She's also a large woman-- well over 6 feet tall-- so my brother has to do 2-3 loads of laundry that are just her jeans which are really still clean. I don't even own that many pairs of jeans. My brother does more than twice as many loads of laundry for two people than I do for 5. I think he should let her run out of clothes. Perhaps if she has to wash that much laundry she will discover ways to not produce as much of it.

oops... sorry for the rant. :rolleyes:

Katy Belle
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I have no idea... but I will tally it this week and find out!

HLDisney
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I guess the fact that we would actually have to go downstairs to our apt bldg's laundry room to do laundry has caused us to limit our laundry load (too much of a hassle to have to run up and down several times during a span of approx 1 1/2 hours to do a load or two of laundry) We do 3-4 loads of laundry a week and that includes my parents (both retired), my DD and myself. Usually towels are used all week. If, for some reason a towel does get dirty and can't be re-used, we'll use a new one but the old one will just wait in the hamper for the next laundry day. My DD's school clothes are put in the hamper after one use (because I no clue what she might have done at school that day) but if she only wears something at home for a few hours in the evening and all she's done all evening is mainly calm stuff like HW, reading, TV (not something that would cause her to sweat or get dirty), then I have no problem letting her wear it again the next evening.

Yes, sometimes we won't have too many clean clothes to choose from by the last day or two before laundry day but luckily neither my DD nor I are the type that have to wear the "perfect" outfit for a specific day (as long as it's clean and the outfit looks reasonably coordinated) I usually try to plan ahead our outfits for the week and I try to buy clothes that can mix and match well.

Helen

thebeesknees
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
If I had to do 25 loads in a week I would move to a nudist colony.

Where's the tag fairy when you need her? :lmao:

moniot
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
We are a family of 4 with another on the way and we have an indoor Black Lab. I try to do 1 or 2 loads a day and I never get caught up. Weekends I do laundry off and on all weekend.

My son is in sports (football - wrestling) so he has his daily clothes (never fails to leave some lunch on his shirt), his practice clothes and his uniforms. My DH is a mechanic (dirty and stinky) and a bus driver and we have a small farm (this speaks for itself). Everything gets washed after it is worn. Towels do not get reused. I work at the repair shop and come home smelling like a "repair shop". I go through tons of kitchen towels and dish clothes.

I wash everything except whites in cold. I hang lots of shirts and pants and shorts.

I do lots of really yucky laundry.

I would love to do only 5 or 6 loads a week. Must be nice but not an option for others.

lisaross
01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
i use to feel like i was never caught up, But last week i caught up over the weekend and now i do 1 load per day and put a load from the previous day away.

We have 1 hamper in the hallway...we throw all our cloths in there..i fill the basket each morning with whats in the hamper bring it down and sort in the 3 hampers in the laundy room - colors/whites/jeans.sweats..

which ever hamper is full i throw in...i usually mix towels/sheets in with the above. again its only 2 weeks i'm doing this but it seems like its going well - no more doing 2-3 loads every few days and then having so much to put away!

KristiKelly
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM

We are a family of 5 and our laundry went from ~14-16 loads a week to about 6-8, so it did cut in half.

I have the dirtiest son in our state, he could run thru a grassy meadow during a drought and still come out covered in mud:confused3 Even with that I don't do that many loads of laundry.

We bought an LG front loader - largest capacity they make. We've had it about 18 mo. and I can't imagine life without it now. Yes, they are expensive but worth every penny. Also, if you get the washer you need to get the dryer because you will need the same capacity or your clothes will never get dry.

Belle5
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
You don't even want to know how many loads we do when everyone is home like they were over Christmas! All of my kids play sports. Have you ever smelled ice hockey laundry? It is GROSS! We had five soccer teams going this fall--the smell wasn't too much better. Sometimes I think my DH and sons need a towel for each body part...:laundy:

Handbag Lady
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Wow.

We are just the two of us and we do three loads a week. All at the same time.

sherry7
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, 25 loads a week is a lot...I'm thinking your washer must be pretty small, or perhaps you wash smaller loads.

My family consists of me, DH, and my college aged DS (commutes from home). I got my extra-large capacity front loaders about 2 years ago, and do a lot less loads than before. I usually start laundry on Friday evening, and finish it up on Saturday morning. In an average week I do:

1 load of whites
1 or 2 loads of darks (blue, green, gray, black)
1 small load of red, pink, purple
1 small load of yellow and tan
1 load of jeans
1 load of towels, washcloths, dishtowels, and bathmats
1 load of sheets
2 to 3 loads of DH's nasty work clothes (he does these himself)
1 load of sweatshirts/hoodies during cold weather (DS wears one everyday to school/work, so I usually have a big load of these.)
1 load of DS's super stinky work-out clothes (they smell so bad that I usually add baking soda or vinegar to get the stench out :scared1:)
1 small load of bras (hand wash cycle)

We do reuse our towels, and everybody has their own color. Each bathroom has a thick towel-like bathmat (like the kind in hotels), so those get thrown in with the towels to wash. We wear PJ's/nightgowns for multiple nights, and jeans usually get worn twice.

The new baby is due in May, so I'm sure that will add considerably to my laundry.

Priorityonecb
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I can't imagine doing 25 loads of laundry a week! We are a family of four. I do about 5 loads a week.

tinytink
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Try it, you'll be amazed at how many loads you do! So we'll be needing new machines soon and wanted to know if those new steam machines are worth it???
I do about the same amount of laundry a week and I was thinking the same thing. I think those steam machines cut down on the ironing as well. It might be worth it since we do so much laundry and I figure it should cut down on the dry cleaning bills as well.

MEM
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I do about 20 loads a week - it sounds better to me to say "3 loads a day". Yes, many of them are micro-loads but my HE front-loader is very, very frugal with water. I am allergic to drycleaning solvent so all of my clothes for work go in my machine on the delicate or hand-wash cycle. DD13 also does her Aeropostale collection separately from the rest of the family's laundry. Since getting the HE machine a few years ago our water usage has gone down by half even though I do more loads.

I usually do a load or two of laundry while I'm cooking dinner and DH or DD may do a load during the day. It may just be that we have fewer clothes than most people and need to wash more often.

rynosmom
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
For our family of 4 I do 2 loads per day during the week and 3 each on Sat and Sunday. DH is a Plumber everything goes in the wash daily. Winter time that is almost a load just on him. DS18 runs track and there is no way you can wear those cloths again. DS14 plays ice hockey and baseball and during each season he has practice 2x per week and 2-3 games per week. That being said it adds up and I see my self doing about 16 loads per week.

TxRabbit
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
This is such a funny thread...

I totally relate to the Texas effect...humidity is NASTY and it does NASTY things to clothes. I did a LOT more laundry when DS was playing soccer, too. He had a uniform for every practice as well as the games on the weekend. I can only imagine with 3 boys in the house, the towels, the sheets, the mess... And if you haven't replaced your washer in awhile, then you probably can't fit more than one set of sheets in it, maybe two sets of twins...

And call me crazy, but sometimes you just CAN"T wash your nicer clothes with those play clothes or the workout clothes or the mow the lawn clothes... I just can't imagine doing DH's work shirts with the mud incrusted DS's tees. LOL.

finz2left
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Family of 6 and we do about 6 loads each week.

Whoa...what is your secret? We are a family of 5 and have 3 loads of sheets and towels each week, then 1 load of whites, 2 loads of jeans, at least 2 loads of lights, and a 1 of colors....THEN we have school uniforms, baseball clothes, husbands dress shirts... etc.

tzolkin
01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Whoa...what is your secret? We are a family of 5 and have 3 loads of sheets and towels each week, then 1 load of whites, 2 loads of jeans, at least 2 loads of lights, and a 1 of colors....THEN we have school uniforms, baseball clothes, husbands dress shirts... etc.

Not the poster you quoted, but we are a family of 5 and also do 6 loads per week. I do a few more in the summer.

Here's my winter laundry routine:
I do 3 loads at a time about twice a week. (I don't do it on certain days, I just wait until I have about 3 full loads, so I may only do laundry once in an actual week and have maybe 5 days between laundry.) Honestly, I do not change the sheets every week in the winter. I alternate and do 1/2 the beds each week. We bathe right before bed, so I figure the pjs and sheets don't have our dirt from the day in them. I also mix most items except the towels into the wash together-- jeans, tshirts, light, dark. If I have enough I do one full load of towels, if not I mix sheets or pjs in with the towels. I only wash full loads. If I think it will be really close, I put in the items I know we're going to want first. If a few items don't fit, they go in the hamper and wait until the next time I do laundry. ;)

We have no school uniforms, baseball clothes, or work clothes (DH works in an OR so he wears scrubs and leaves them at work). I'm sure this cuts it down a bit, but I could never imagine doing several loads of laundry per day.

tinatark
01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Okay, I'm LOL at the posters who are a family of xx, with a dog... does the dog wear clothes? :rotfl:

We are a family of 4 people, plus 2 outside dogs and 2 fish;), and I probably wash 10 loads a week - change sheets weekly, and we re use towels - I have 6 in my boys' bathroom (1 color for each boy, so when one is on the floor, we ask "Who uses yellow towels?"), 8 in my bathroom - DH and I are on different shower schedules, so we end up using 3-4 towels there for the week. We re-wear jeans (DH and I, not the boys - theirs are nasty!) and pajamas.

I do have a HE washer, so one load is equal to 1.5-2 in a regular washer. Loads are longer to wash, though, my washer (Fisher and Paykel HE/conventional top loader) doesn't have a quick wash cycle option, so cycles are usually an hour long.

LaceyLace
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow! I'm REALLY amazed at all the laundry some of you do!

I'm shocked at the number of people that wash towels every day and clothes every day (OP especially washing numerous outfits per day).

I don't get it.... the towel that you use to dry your body after a shower is CLEAN. I use mine about 3-4 times before throwing it into the hamper. ONE TOWEL for both my body and long, thick hair. I just hang it up after I'm through with it. It's dry by next morning.

I wear my jeans 2x at least before washing, depending on what I'm doing. Gosh, unless you're going panty-less, there's no reason to wash your jeans after just one wearing, especially if it's just a few hours after work. What do you all do in your jeans? LOL! Unless I spill something on them, I will wear them again. Same thing goes for tops. If I wear a shirt for just a few hours, I'll wear it again another time. Unless again, I spill something. Or I sweat, lol. Otherwise, my body is clean.

Only thing I wash on a daily basis are my panties. :blush:

And by the way, I'm not a slob. I'm a very well-dressed, attractive, and professional female. I'm just not a germ freak imagining germs around every corner....

delmar411
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm shocked at the number of people that wash towels every day and clothes every day (OP especially washing numerous outfits per day).

I don't get it.... the towel that you use to dry your body after a shower is CLEAN. I use mine about 3-4 times before throwing it into the hamper. ONE TOWEL for both my body and long, thick hair. I just hang it up after I'm through with it. It's dry by next morning.

I wear my jeans 2x at least before washing, depending on what I'm doing. Gosh, unless you're going panty-less, there's no reason to wash your jeans after just one wearing, especially if it's just a few hours after work. What do you all do in your jeans? LOL! Unless I spill something on them, I will wear them again. Same thing goes for tops. If I wear a shirt for just a few hours, I'll wear it again another time. Unless again, I spill something. Or I sweat, lol. Otherwise, my body is clean.

And by the way, I'm not a slob. I'm a very well-dressed, attractive, and professional female. I'm just not a germ freak imagining germs around every corner....

I think you are missing a major fact that adds to the laundry...KIDS. My kids play hard and get dirty every day and there are four of them (no dogs LOL). Their school clothes are either uniforms that are dirty after one wearing or play clothes that are dirty and covering in glue/paint/sparkles/markers/food after one wearing. ;)

Then they change clothes at home and play and run around and spill dinner down their fronts :laughing: and then they put on pjs to sleep in. In which they either pee themselves at night or they sweat or both!

Then there are the towels which *if* hung up would be suitable for another day but it's rare anyone other than me hangs up a towel properly. If the towels end up on the floor then they get washed. I have small boys who haven't mastered aiming yet so anything that hit the floor near the toilet gets washed before re-using.

Then there is DH who works in a restaurant. His clothes are dirty, stinky and flat out yuck after work. That includes, an undershirt, a t-shirt, a button down shirt, a pair of slacks, a pair of socks and a long apron. Those get washed after every day and as soon as possible to not cover the other clothes with the stink. He does however compensate by wearing his pjs for as many night as he can get away with since I'll grab those to fill out a load if I see them laying around.

Then there is the soiled pee covered bedding. The kids sleep with a comforter plus 2-4 other blankets. (it's what works for them but does cause them to sweat like crazy) So that alone once peed on is 2-3 loads depending on whether I need to wash their pillow as well.

Then there are the washclothes, the hand towels, the dish towels, the cleaning cloths, the regular sheets, the swim clothes, the swim towels, the gymnastic clothes and on occasion I even get to wash my own clothes!

Wanna do the math on our laundry? :laundy: :teacher:

We send nothing to the dry cleaners and use very little paper products (paper towels, paper napkins).

I get those 200 load tubs of laundry detergent from Costco and I go through one every 8-12 wks depending on how well the boys are doing staying dry at night.

riley2008
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I was just complaining to DH about having to do laundry AGAIN. It was all clean on Sunday (and it's only Thursday night:rotfl2:). I did one load and will do another before bed. That should do it until Sunday again - then about 4 loads - two more of clothes and two of sheets and towels.

(We obviously reuse towels and PJ's get used 2 nights. Also, my boys have been hanging up their own towels since they were 2, yes 2 years old! Then again, we did hang low hooks and bars for them to be able to do it, but really....)

Maybe people just like doing laundry more than I do. :laundy: I prefer other hobbies. ;)

rockundergirl
01-28-2010, 11:08 PM

its the fact that the towel sits wet on the rack that makes it unclean to me. not my body IMO

buzz5985
01-29-2010, 02:07 AM
You don't even want to know how many loads we do when everyone is home like they were over Christmas! All of my kids play sports. Have you ever smelled ice hockey laundry? It is GROSS! We had five soccer teams going this fall--the smell wasn't too much better. Sometimes I think my DH and sons need a towel for each body part...:laundy:

LOL Yes I do. Nothing worse than giving a couple of kids a ride to hockey - and being forced to smell more than one bag. One kid on one of the younger teams got a fungus on his scalp from his helmet!!! Not letting it dry out properly.

I only have the one boy - but he plays hockey, baseball, lacrosse. Plus he is a scout and nothing is worse than the swamp locker that comes home after a week at summer camp!!!

This weekend is their Klondike Derby - race dog sleds through the woods - the boys are the dogs!!! Supposed to go down to 10 degrees. Wouldn't mind so much - last weekend it was 50 up here!!!

Janis
Janis

bumbershoot
01-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Okay, I'm LOL at the posters who are a family of xx, with a dog... does the dog wear clothes? :rotfl:

It's probably more that big dogs mean lots of dog hair on clothes, it could mean muddy paws on clothes. It could mean they are washing dog beds, towels after doggie baths, etc.

I don't know how many loads I do, and I'm not sure I want to! I do know that of all the rooms in the house, I'm starting to seriously figure out what I truly want in a laundry room, when we buy/build a house someday in the future. It might end up being one of the biggest rooms in the house! Especially since I plan to have the clothing drawers in there, since we don't seem to be interested in actually putting laundry away in our dressers, and it's easiest to just grab clothes from the folding table to put on! Going to be one mighty fine laundry room....

annsteere
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I put out 2 fresh kitchen towels and a fresh washing cloth every evening. (I use the washing cloth for dishes and the counter, one towel for hands and one for dishes that don't make the dishwasher.)

We reuse bath towels for about a week.

Is that what the rest of you mean when you say "reuse towels?" Or, do you use your kitchen towel for several days?

wdwfan16
01-29-2010, 07:46 AM
I put out 2 fresh kitchen towels and a fresh washing cloth every evening. (I use the washing cloth for dishes and the counter, one towel for hands and one for dishes that don't make the dishwasher.)

We reuse bath towels for about a week.

Is that what the rest of you mean when you say "reuse towels?" Or, do you use your kitchen towel for several days?

This is what I ment. We change kitchen and hand towels daily but reuse bath towels.

edk35
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I am OP and should have added, three boys who play HARD...dirt/sweat daily. Plus they play in "play" clothes, so that's two set of clothes per day: school and play. Soccer three times per week times for two of the boys and husband coaches. Husband is in construction and comes home smelly. Baby in house so that's at least 2 outfits a day plus crib accidents. Husband and I both work out daily so that's two sets of smelly gym clothes. Sheets are changed weekly, we do reuse towels for 2-3 nights. When I met husband, he was a clean/germ fanatic, so I knew what I was getting into! :rotfl2:
On the plus side, I never have to pick up after my husband, as he is more of a clean/organized freak than me!

See I could easily see that many loads for your family. When my dd was younger (off at college now) she danced 6 days a week, so we had lots of cold water wash for her every week. My boys played baseball several times a week before my older son gave it up in 8th grade, now they are in year round soccer. Older son plays high school and club sports....that adds to the laundry. That stuff adds to the laundry piles. Then add in sheets, towels...it does add up each week. However a few years ago I got a front loader washer with matching dryer. :cheer2: HUGE difference in the amt. of loads I did per week. So that has helped big time. I couldn't believe how much this helped. Well worth it. Now the people on here that say they do 4-6 a week for a family of 4 to 6. They must be wearing clothes more than once or they only have one outfit per day. My husband wears two things most days...he comes home and changes from work (dressier clothes) and puts on jeans or sweats or whatever. I do the same some days too. Also, if you have very young kids or babies..I guess those people can stuff more in their loads since the clothes are iddy biddy. :goodvibes

I have always had a lot of laundry with our family of 5. :thumbsup2

disney1990
01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Kids refusing to reuse towels; kids not hanging their towels up after they use them; these are things that were never allowed in our house. Our girls knew the rules. Your body is clean after your shower so you should be able to reuse your towel.

Now it is only DH and me. We probably do about 4-5 loads of laundry a week.

amez
01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Family of six here we do between 8 and 10 loads a week. We try to wash sheets weekly and we do reuse towels. I have a front loader and love it!

littlbugmom
01-29-2010, 09:30 AM
We are a family of 4 and 1 dog.

I mention the dog because she uses towels. We have towels that are just for her....when it's wet outside, her paws get a wipe down before coming back in (shih tzu). She also has bedding in her cage that is washed weekly.

We use a bath towel three times before washing it....twice to dry our bodies and then it's hung up and used again the next day. It's hung up again but used to step on coming out of the bath/shower the next day.
Washclothes are used once.
Kitchen washclothes are used for one day.
Kitchen handtowels are used for two days because it's just to dry my hands.
Bath fingertowels are used two days.
Bed sheets are washed weekly.

My kids typically wear one set of clothes a day. DD9 isn't hard on her clothes but DS5 can be. He may need to change mid-day due to big spills.
They also have swimming, gymnastics and soccer....all of which adds clothing. My dh has uniforms we have to take care of and most of the time, they need to be done separate from the family loads.

My dh works a 24/48 rotating schedule, so he is home 3/4 days a week. He will typically do 2 loads a day. When he's working, I will do 1 load a day. We average 10-12 loads a week this way.

When my DS was a baby, he had reflux. I did 2 loads of just his spit up clothes/blankets every single day. At least. And then there were all of our clothes that he spit up on...(it would have been too convenient for the puke to actually hit the blanket we draped over ourselves at all times). So, we were changing our clothes a couple times a day. Add that to our normal laundry and man, that really sucked.

wdwfan16
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
25 loads of laundry makes me glad the factory is shut down!

Belle5
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Plus he is a scout and nothing is worse than the swamp locker that comes home after a week at summer camp!!!

Janis
Janis

Oh, Janis...we are very much in the same boat with odors. Look at my siggie--I know the swamp locker smell VERY well!:rotfl:

hippiemama76
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I think you are missing a major fact that adds to the laundry...KIDS.

We send nothing to the dry cleaners and use very little paper products (paper towels, paper napkins).

The only paper item we use is toilet tissue - everything else is cloth, including the diapers. With a family of four, I'm probably at about 15-20 loads a week.

Some of them are smaller loads - for example DH has a medical office and also does hours at the hospital. At the hospital he wears scrubs, which can and frequently do get covered in all kind of ick and get washed on their own the second he walks in the door. He might do 1 or 2 shifts at the hospital a week, but that's still 1 or 2 individual loads.

Plus, living in SW FL, even with the air running all the time, I still feel like linens don't stay as clean and crisp as they do elsewhere. I can get 2 uses out of a bath towel, but after that it's kind of . . . damp. The weather also leads to more showers (not necessarily a full washing, but just a rinse to feel fresh).

Scrubs X 2
Diapers X 3
Towels (bath, kitchen, napkins, etc.) X 3
Sheets X 1
Blankets X 1

That already puts me at 10 without a single article of clothing.

lonegirl
01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
OP here again...thanks to you who are in the same boat, either due to climate or smelly sports clothes. For a while there, I was feeling very wasteful with all my loads. But we are an active family, constantly out in the heat and humidity riding bikes, playing in dirt, running, lifting weights etc. NOW I just have to find the biggest capacity washer/dryer our money can buy. DH jokes that we need commercial-sized ones or multiple machines. I think coin operated ones for the boys when they get older and start doing they own laundry will make me a rich woman.

Disneyadore
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
OP here again...thanks to you who are in the same boat, either due to climate or smelly sports clothes. For a while there, I was feeling very wasteful with all my loads. But we are an active family, constantly out in the heat and humidity riding bikes, playing in dirt, running, lifting weights etc. NOW I just have to find the biggest capacity washer/dryer our money can buy. DH jokes that we need commercial-sized ones or multiple machines. I think coin operated ones for the boys when they get older and start doing they own laundry will make me a rich woman.

I have an aunt who has the same "problem".
She washes like crazy and cleaning is the fulfillment of her life.:lmao: ( she combs the carpets on her knees with a small brush so the threats are all in on direction)
On bad ,or should I call it good day, the police and the electric company knocked on here door.
They came to inspect the house. Her electric and water bill was so extravagant high they suspected she had a weed farm hidden in the cellar.:lmao: She used as much water as little fabric
So beware if the "man in black" come knocking on your door.

DawnM
01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
What size washer do you have right now?

We have a super capacity front loader.

Of course, you could be like the Duggars and get 2 or 3 of them and stack them so you can run them all like a laundry mat all at the same time!

Dawn

lonegirl
01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
What size washer do you have right now?

We have a super capacity front loader.

Of course, you could be like the Duggars and get 2 or 3 of them and stack them so you can run them all like a laundry mat all at the same time!

Dawn

I don't know the size, but it will only hold one king sheet set at a time, or two twin sheet sets together. Maybe 3-4 large towels with wash cloths thrown in...
They are older, so we're eyeing the Samsungs...

DawnM
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh, yeah, I would be doing 3 times the amount of loads too if that were the machine I had.

NOW I GET WHY YOU DO SO MANY LOADS!

We have the Kenmore front loaders. The washing machine is about 8 years old. The dryer is 5 years old. I can easily fit in whatever anyone wore that day (even if they had 2 outfits on), plus a sheet or a couple of towels.....and we are a family of 5.

Dawn

I don't know the size, but it will only hold one king sheet set at a time, or two twin sheet sets together. Maybe 3-4 large towels with wash cloths thrown in...
They are older, so we're eyeing the Samsungs...

busy mom
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I constantly preach the "use the towel twice" rule in our house, but it still seems as I am always washing towels.

A little secret between us - my teenage daughters think its gross to wear their pajamas twice, so I just fluff them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and put them right back in the pj drawers. Sshhhh.....

DawnM
01-30-2010, 07:57 AM
My youngest has PJs and loves them, the rest of us don't use them or have them. The rest of us wear sweats and a T-shirt to bed.

Dawn

I constantly preach the "use the towel twice" rule in our house, but it still seems as I am always washing towels.

A little secret between us - my teenage daughters think its gross to wear their pajamas twice, so I just fluff them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and put them right back in the pj drawers. Sshhhh.....

ThunderMTexpert
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
i literally do 2 loads.. whites & darks.. HAHA!! dont hate me!!:rotfl: what some might find gross-- i dont always use detergent when it is JUST bath towels. i WILL for kitchen towels, but not always for bath towels. we only dry our CLEAN bodies. the only reason i even wash them is to get them fluffy & dry again. so, that is one way we save on detergent.. but, yes, honest to blog, 2 batches a week! ((& god forbid i wash his drew brees jersey with anything else, so sometimes, 3 batches, but only because drew brees is in the washer by himself!)) :happytv:

PinkRhombus
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM

I don't get them. I saw when they were building their new house and the got the extra washers/dryers...they said they did 14 loads of laundry PER DAY. I know there were 17 or 18 of them at that point, but where was all that dirty laundry coming from???

i literally do 2 loads.. whites & darks.. HAHA!! dont hate me!!:rotfl: what some might find gross-- i dont always use detergent when it is JUST bath towels. i WILL for kitchen towels, but not always for bath towels. we only dry our CLEAN bodies. the only reason i even wash them is to get them fluffy & dry again. so, that is one way we save on detergent.. but, yes, honest to blog, 2 batches a week! ((& god forbid i wash his drew brees jersey with anything else, so sometimes, 3 batches, but only because drew brees is in the washer by himself!)) :happytv:

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if those towels have bacteria growth from being wet and hanging...if you don't use any type of santizing agent...

matdrew
01-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I do 3- 4 loads a day.
We are 2 adults
4 kids
one dog and one cat

I am always doing or putting away laundry.
My friend suggested each kid use one towel for the week and hang in ther room on a hook in between to dry. I am not sure if this is sanitary but did try to get them to do this. Of course noone listens. what happened is there would be a towel left in the room but they would always get another. My friend also suggestion not washing jeans if they were just worn around the house for a little while.

I hate laundry :laundy:

TxRabbit
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
The only thing I'd be concerned about is if those towels have bacteria growth from being wet and hanging...if you don't use any type of santizing agent...

Not to mention all the dead skin cells and hair that rub off when you dry yourself off...:scared: