PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about pressed pennies...

mom2girlsx3
01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Headed back to the World in a few weeks and we wanted to do something new, so thought pressed pennies would be fun for the kids (and us big-kids too!) I have gone online to research and gotten completely overwhelmed and excited about it! So... what are some practical tips you'd suggest when starting a collection? My thoughts are to purchase ONE pressed penny book for this trip... maybe collect one penny from each country in World Showcase, plus pennies from our favorite WDW spots??? What parameters do you use because there is absolutely no way to get them all and I don't want to have to be stopping at every single machine we pass by! Also, are there some pennies that are "better" to collect than others?

bxtx
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
We have a pressed penny book (bought in DTD)... I collected quarters (costs 50c) plus shiny pennies and put them in the mini M&M tubes so each kid had their own "money" to spend.

I left it up to them which ones they got.. good to whip out whilst waiting to be seated at dinner! They know once their tube is empty, that's it, no more for that vacation. We have taken the book back each year and they add new ones every time!

woodkins
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
We did pennies on our last trip and dd7 loved it. Definitely use the mini M&M tubes for the change, so easy! I would also buy a pressed penny book early on this way none get lost. DD carried hers around the entire trip. As for are some "better than others" that is up to you. What is important to your family or child. My dd's most important was to get a Buzz one for her BFF as it is his fave character. We also did the pennies around the world. Just keep in mind, if your kids don't know where every machine is in the world then they won't know what they are missing. We kind of did it as a when we saw a penny machine we would check it out. DD enjoyed keeping her eyes peeled for them, it was the thrill of the hunt!

grace&philipsmom
01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
My DD6 discovered pressed pennies last trip. We were always digging to find the proper change. This year we will be prepared. And don't forget extra quarters for the pressed quarter machines. (Thank god they don't make $20 coins!)

dr_zero
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Older pennies will work better!

The pennies you get now days have alot of zinc in them and when you press them you can get some silver showing through like tears.
Look for pennies from 1982 or older to get some really nice presses with out the silver. You can always polish them up with something like Nevr dull later :thumbsup2 or maybe lemon juice and you can tie in a science experiment/learning opportunity http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/polishingpennies.html

# In 1962, the cent's tin content, which was quite small, was removed. That made the metal composition of the cent 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.
# The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc). Cents of both compositions appeared in that year.
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fun_facts/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=fun_facts2

McQueenofHrts
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Just wanted to say I thought the M&M tubes filled with coins was a great idea until I went through the security checkpoint at the airport. Apparently, it was a cause for concern because I was pulled over to the side and had to wait while they searched my bag for the tube. This was in October prior to the latest security measures too. For some reason, I felt like I had done something wrong, so there I was explaining to the TSA agent about pressed pennies. He just looked at me and smirked. Apparently, not a Disneyphile. ;)
Maybe buy a tube at DL or DW and then fill it up with the quarters to avoid my silly adventure.

Have fun!

holyschmolly
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Anyone know if WDW has converted to the "new" penny machines that only accept $1 bills and give you a penny?? The newer machines have no coin slot, only a bill slot like a pop machine.

We've noticed in the past couple of weeks our zoo & aquarium both have changed over. :(

Adrieske
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Anyone know if WDW has converted to the "new" penny machines that only accept $1 bills and give you a penny?? The newer machines have no coin slot, only a bill slot like a pop machine.

We've noticed in the past couple of weeks our zoo & aquarium both have changed over. :(

We just got back Sunday and I didn't see any like you mentioned, just the regular ones.

We took two tubes of quarters/pennies and came back with almost one whole full one. We just did the machines when we saw them.

mphalens
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Can anyone tell me:
1) Where in MK to buy the book to collect the pennies in?
2) How much said book is?
3) How many "sets" of coins will fit in a Mini M&Ms tube?

My older son is OBSESSED with the pressed pennies and I didn't know they had books to keep them in available for purchase... I am SO going to add this to his "Disney bag" :-)

woodkins
01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Can anyone tell me:
1) Where in MK to buy the book to collect the pennies in? Pretty much any gift shop. I know for sure they have them in the Emporium and at the Big Shop in Toontown. Most shops have them right near the cash registers.
2) How much said book is?About $7
3) How many "sets" of coins will fit in a Mini M&Ms tube? 10-15? That is a total guesstimate

My older son is OBSESSED with the pressed pennies and I didn't know they had books to keep them in available for purchase... I am SO going to add this to his "Disney bag" :-)
:thumbsup2 Have fun

mom2girlsx3
01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Can anyone tell me:
1) Where in MK to buy the book to collect the pennies in?
2) How much said book is?
3) How many "sets" of coins will fit in a Mini M&Ms tube?

Found these online.... can also find limited supply at ebay....

http://www.*****************/Pressed-Coin-Books_c_426.html

fireflymedic
01-26-2010, 11:06 PM
a must read site for any one who likes the mushed pennys. I have linked to a site showing epcot penny's but curise the site for more info on pennies

http://www.pennycollector.com/Details.aspx?location=11469

ncmickeyluvr
01-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Last year, we did the usual M&M tubes for the coins AND Mentos gum tubes for the ones that we pressed. The gum container is oval and fits the flattened pennies perfectly. It kept the kids from getting their money and pressed pennies mixed up together.

mom2girlsx3
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Last year, we did the usual M&M tubes for the coins AND Mentos gum tubes for the ones that we pressed. The gum container is oval and fits the flattened pennies perfectly. It kept the kids from getting their money and pressed pennies mixed up together.

What a great idea for the pressed pennies! I would have never thought about the oval shaped tubes! THANKS for the tip!

momtomari
01-27-2010, 09:58 AM
How many pennies fit in the penny books?

ncmickeyluvr
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
The one we have from WDW holds 56 pennies.... 48 and then 8 in the "ears"....and 9 pressed quarters.

momtomari
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
The one we have from WDW holds 56 pennies.... 48 and then 8 in the "ears"....and 9 pressed quarters.

Thank you

mphalens
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info ladies!!!!

mphalens
01-29-2010, 09:31 PM
One more question! How much is it to make the pressed quarters? I'm thinking it's 5 quarters, (four for the cost and one to press) but can't remember!!!!

wendy774
01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
We did it last year and would like to do it this year again. Unfortunately I'm not sure a good way to make sure we get only new ones. I don't remember everywhere we did it last year. Any suggestions?

mphalens
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
If you click on the link someone posted in this thread there are pictures of the different pennies from each machine... I guess you could print out the pictures and mark the ones you already have??? There are A LOT though... and if you look at the rest of the website that link is from, (the link is to the Epcot ones I think) they have the rest of the parks too...

BUT, keep in mind, they do change the machines out from time to time...

Could you bring your pressed pennies from last time and put them in a book when you get there.... then you could have them with you?

MPwifey
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I just have to say that these smushed pennies are a great cheap souvenir for you to remember your trip by. My husband is in the Army and we have been able to travel all over the US and these are at a lot of places you may never have guessed. We found one at a rest stop in Arizona that had them.

We have a book that holds pennies and quarters and it is nice. They have a lot of penny machines in MK along Main street in the shops.

myAAbatteries&aTD
01-31-2010, 08:31 AM
My kids love the pressed pennies, too. They look for them everywhere we go now - of course, they all go in the WDW book b/c that's the only one we have..... we take it with us so we can double-check before getting 2 of the same one. I do like the Mentos tube idea, though...

Have fun!!!

kimberlyr
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm a novice at pressed pennies. Can someone tell me if it is $.51 or $1.01 to press a penny?

Thanks.

davis65
01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
I was just wanting to get an opinion from others on here. My husband thinks I am crazy, but i was wondering what you all think. I found pressed penny books online for $9.95. It says that they hold 62 pennies and 9 quarters. All 3 of my boys really like the press penny idea and want to get the books. I counted out 62 pennies and 9 quarters for each child. (we had alot of pennies laying around the house) I told my husband that we should start collecting quarters and if we don't have enough then we will go to the bank and get rolls of quarters. I figured that this will probably be the only time that we get to go to Disney, due to finances. So I figured why not give them the opportunity to fill up the books if they want to. If they don't fill them, that's fine, but at least it won't be because I didn't have the change to do it with. My husband thinks that I am crazy for giving them 62 pennies and 9 quarters. He said that he thinks that is ridiculous. what do you all think? am I crazy for doing this?

mphalens
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
What about getting the grandparents involved? I asked my parents and in-laws to send each of the kids a tube of the quarters and pennies for their trip... they all LOVED the idea...
If you do it all on your own you're looking at about $150 (plus the books) ... are you going to have this be their ONLY souvinier from the trip? Or do you plan on letting them get other stuff too? I guess it depends on your budget if it's "crazy" or not, kwim?

BebopBaloo
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
If you go to the guest relations building when entering the park (any of the four) you can ask for a pressed penny packet that will list the location of all the machines on WDW property and it will tell you what images are in what location/machine. :goodvibes

davis65
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow that does add up quick. Do you think I should have them share a book? I am going to get each of them a epcot passport and animal kingdom passport. they agreed to share an autograph book that we put together. would it be wrong to have them share the penny book

tscrapper
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Cool idea, so I need to buy Mentos now. At least there are lots of machines we had to go back to Hermits rest at Grand Canyon to do a pressed penny because there is only one in the whole park.:rolleyes1

tlh0726
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
If you go to the guest relations building when entering the park (any of the four) you can ask for a pressed penny packet that will list the location of all the machines on WDW property and it will tell you what images are in what location/machine. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 great tip!

tlh0726
02-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Wow that does add up quick. Do you think I should have them share a book? I am going to get each of them a epcot passport and animal kingdom passport. they agreed to share an autograph book that we put together. would it be wrong to have them share the penny book

Mine share an autograph book too and will be sharing the pressed pennies as well.
Talk to them before hand and let them know that it will be a shared thing.
Take turns letting them smash the pennies if there is only one machine at the location.
My youngest kids share everything with each other (wish they would skip the being sick stuff :rotfl:) , it has been that way since birth. If one goes say to walmart, they even ask for a sticker for the other. :lovestruc

mom2girlsx3
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I was just wanting to get an opinion from others on here. My husband thinks I am crazy, but i was wondering what you all think. I found pressed penny books online for $9.95. It says that they hold 62 pennies and 9 quarters. All 3 of my boys really like the press penny idea and want to get the books. I counted out 62 pennies and 9 quarters for each child. (we had alot of pennies laying around the house) I told my husband that we should start collecting quarters and if we don't have enough then we will go to the bank and get rolls of quarters. I figured that this will probably be the only time that we get to go to Disney, due to finances. So I figured why not give them the opportunity to fill up the books if they want to. If they don't fill them, that's fine, but at least it won't be because I didn't have the change to do it with. My husband thinks that I am crazy for giving them 62 pennies and 9 quarters. He said that he thinks that is ridiculous. what do you all think? am I crazy for doing this?

I can't imagine spending all my time trying to track down penny machines to smash 62 coins! There are so many other fun things to spend time doing! Maybe just give your kids each 3 pennies a day and let them choose which characters they want to collect. That way the ones they bring home are "special" ones that they specifically chose for a reason and not just a book full of smashed pennies for sake of just getting them.

Fyrefly
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm 21 now and I've been collecting pennies from everywhere since I was at least 10.

I had fun just whenever I saw one darting over. Generally I tried to do one at each Epcot country, then pennies for rides I just got off of as a memento. It turned into a game for the people I was traveling with too. They were finding more machines than I was! I probably have 25-30 from the whole trip, but it's not like I went out of my way dragging people around looking for them. I didn't even know there was a master list you could get.

As a tip, if you are going after Christmas, put two rolls of quarters and a roll of pennies from the bank into your kids's stockings! I got that before my January trip and I knew immediately a) Why my stocking was so heavy all of a sudden, and b) exactly what they were for! My dad's all "Why did you put change in her stocking?" and my mom looks at him like he's a fool... :rotfl:

johnsonmatt3
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
a must read site for any one who likes the mushed pennys. I have linked to a site showing epcot penny's but curise the site for more info on pennies

http://www.pennycollector.com/Details.aspx?location=11469

there is also a website listed below which is all about disney world pressed pennies, where the penny machines are, and what the machine makes, it has all the machines in disney world. it has a list that allows you to print it.
http://www.presscoins.com/

skysmom99
02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I loved getting pennies for my kids when I chaperoned a school trip last May. Now they want to get more so I guess we should set aside some change for that. BTW, when I was there I noticed many machines were $0.51 and others were $1.01 (since someone asked).

I laugh at it being a cheap souvenir since you can spend a ton w/o realizing on these mashed pennies.