PDA

View Full Version : Helping a friend plan her trip

jkstewart1800
01-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I am helping a dear friend plan her trip. She has to daughters 7 and 4. Her youngest suffers from sensory processing disorder which is on the autisic spectrom. I know there is some things that WDW does to help children like this have a bit of an eaiser time.... is it a card they give them? I don't know anything about this and I am trying to find out all I can so I can help out.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks

rockydek
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Guest Services can assist your friend.
She should have a note from the Doctor explaining this.
I have been checking into this.... as I want to take my niece and her son who is Autistic.

jkstewart1800
01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
I have been checking into this.... as I want to take my niece and her son who is Autistic.

Is guest services outside the park, or at the hotel (Pop) or only inside the park?

woodkins
01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
My dd7 as Sensory Integration Disorder as well. You can get a guest assistance card at the Guest Services counter which is located inside each of the parks. This card can offer her an alternative waiting area for rides and if she is using a stroller they can give her a wheelchair tag for it so that she can bring it onto the lines.

I have found that using the stroller was a big help as dd could pull the sunshade/hood over hea & cocoon herself from the overstimulation of the crowds, noises etc. We have a BabyJogger City Classic that has a huge sunshade so she literally can cover herself almost to her lap. We bring earmuffs for her to cover hear ears on things that are too loud etc. Another suggestion is to hit parks early in the day and later at night. Afternoons are much more crowded, hotter and more intense in general. Take lots of breaks.

She also should go into the trip knowing there are experiences that her dd just may not be able to handle and that she needs to be okay with that. Rides like its a small world which is tame and fun for most people is sensory overload for my dd. There is the movement of the boat, the repetative music, the moving dolls, lights etc. For her it is just too much. Yet Space Mountain is fine for her. It is very dark and quiet and she craves the type of movement the roller coaster gives her.

You should check out the DisAbilities board for other tips.

jkstewart1800
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks! I emailed my friend a link to this thread. Hopefully in the next few days she can get on the boards herself... until then maybe I will go over to the disabilities board and hunt around!

woodkins
01-23-2010, 03:33 PM

You do NOT need a note from a doctor. The cm's cannot ask to see one either. It would be a breach of dr patient confidentiality. In the past I have just explained to the cm what our issues and needs were & they gave us the type of GAC that was appropriate.

SueM in MN
02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find out everything you need to know about Guest Assistance Cards in post #6.