PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from cheer moms :)

wdwmom0f3
01-21-2010, 11:43 PM
My DD will be trying out this year to be a cheerleader and we are needing advice for her hair. I know she will wear it up in a pony tail but should she wear her natural curl, or should she straighten it? We are thinking straight. Also, do they wear makeup? I would love to see pictures of your girls at cheer tryouts so I know what to do. Any advice would be very helpful. This is for middle school. :)

woodkins
01-22-2010, 08:38 AM
My DD will be trying out this year to be a cheerleader and we are needing advice for her hair. I know she will wear it up in a pony tail but should she wear her natural curl, or should she straighten it? We are thinking straight. Also, do they wear makeup? I would love to see pictures of your girls at cheer tryouts so I know what to do. Any advice would be very helpful. This is for middle school. :)

My dd is younger (7) but she tried out for a super competitive all star gym last year. All of the girls (up to high school) wore their hair in a high ponytail (curly or straight) with a large cheer bow. No makeup was worn by any girls all ages, they only wear makeup for competitions.

wdwmom0f3
01-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Thank you! :) The reason I asked about the makeup was because yesterday at gym the coach said something about it. Maybe he ment for competitions. We are still a few weeks out from tryouts, but I was just wondering what the norm for this was. :) I am just over excited I guess.:rotfl2:

princessmom29
01-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I would think light makeup rather than full competition makeup for tryouts. If there is any doubt I would just ask the coach directly what is expected for tryouts. We were always required to wear soffees of a specific color and a tryout camp issue white tee for tryouts, have our hair pulled back in a pony, no jewlery except stud earrings, and we had the option of light makeup or none.

ADisneyQueen
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
My dd9 is on a squad and they are not allowed to wear make up. You might want to ask if there is a rule about it.
For comptetion, they are wearing their hair in a high pony tail and I think it is up to them if they want to curl it. I think my dd is wearing it straight b/c that is probably what the other girls will do. I heard that last year they had to purchase cheer hair that was curly. It hurt a lot of the girls' heads so they are not using it this year.

NaeNae
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
No nail polish with color! That is a big NoNo.

growinupdisney
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I coach cheerleading at a High School I ask my girls to be in soffee(black) plain white t-shirt tucked in shoes,socks, hair up out of face( there is actually a place on score sheet for this) straight or curlly doesnt matter. Makeup i say bare minimum. As natural as you can look with it on. No lipstick. no nail polish(EVER) we do have heavier make-up at comps but that's it. My girls barely even wear at all. I had to make them put more on for the comps so they would stand out alittle.
We are there to look at there skills not how pretty they are. But I don not want to be destracted during a tryout with bangs or any kind of hair in there face. Last year at tryouts I deducted lots of points for this. If they can't follow rules for tryouts.. they wont follow them anytime. If they look messy at tryouts thats:cheer2: what you will see at games and comps.