PDA

View Full Version : Birthday party activities

2binak
01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
DD's 2nd b-day is coming up. We're having a cake & ice cream party at our house with some family & close friends. There will be three boy guests, ages 5, 4, & 3. What activities can we do to keep the kids occupied? Last year we had big flipcharts on the floor with crayons & big foam building blocks and we just let them all play together and they did really well, but I have a feeling that we'll need something more than that this year. What can we do that all of them can enjoy?

MSSANDRA
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I think as long as you have plenty of toys, they would be fine just playing.

Maybe as a back up have some playdough, art supplies (paper, scissors, glue etc), and if possible get them outside for a time period.

If you think they might get tired and the party run long, rent a movie to have on hand. (Maybe Cars)

2binak
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The party is only 2 hours long and in the middle of the afternoon so I don't think they would get tired.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those moms who can handle crafts projects with more than one child...just the thought of the mess it would create gives me the shakes :eek: As for going outside...we're in the midst of Winter with lots of snow on the ground so I'd rather keep the kids inside for the short time that they are at the party. Gosh - I'm not being very cooperative am I :upsidedow

Perditamarie
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, if you have the room, put up a tent or gigantic cardboard box w/a door and window cut in it.....or see if you can find a cardboard house the kids can play in and color, something like:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4058085&sourceid=44444444440153763641

Otherwise, don't diminish the power of Playdough....kids will mash, roll, cut, press playdough for a long, long time and it is worth the minimal playdough crumbs that may occur. Pick up several fresh cans, a set of cookie cutters, some guys to "bury" in the playdough, and those kids will be busy, busy, busy!!!

PollyannaMom
01-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Freeze Dance - Put on music and have them all move around, then freeze when you stop the music.

Bren's Mom
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
If you can handle a little water mess, we did 'fishing' for my ds's 3rd b-day. Bought 2 magnetic fishing sets at the $1 store. Filled a big wide bucket with a few inches of water and placed that on a large towel. The kids got to take turns 'fishing'. I had a temporary tattoo 'prize' for each child. We also did a version of 'hot potato', passed around a blow up Nemo. (It was a Nemo themed party, you can adapt to your theme, of course!)

His 2nd b-day was a Wiggles party. The kids decorated their own favor bags (brown lunch sacks) with an array of crayons and stickers as they arrived. And each got a turn digging for Captain Feathersword's buried treasure. (That they placed in their bags to take home.)