PDA

View Full Version : Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

ZPT1022
01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
My youngest daughter gasped in awe when she saw this on the planning video. She is 5 1/2 and very into princesses, fairy tales, magic, etc.... However, I have some concerns about it. I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. I just imagine that I will spend all that money just to have my little one play in a water play area, or want to go swimming (we'll be there in mid- August) and then she will be disappointed when her special hairdo and makeup are all worn off, potentially shortly after she has it done.

I was looking at the prices and it's almost $55 just for hair and makeup, $200 if you do the whole shebang with costume and photos. I have two girls, and I can't help but think that for the $400 I might spend at the BBB, we could do a lot more with that money- rent a boat, do the "hot air balloon" at DTD, send all three kids on the pirate adventure, etc..... I know the girls would love to do it while it was happening but is it really something they will have such fond memories of afterwards?? Or am I better off just buying some costumes and glitter and taking them for a princess character meal and keeping the difference to spend on other activities?? :confused3

I'd love to hear from other parents what they decided. For some reason I'm having a hard time making up my mind

lulu2
01-21-2010, 08:03 AM
We did the smallest package when DD was 4. We brought along a new Cindy dress we bought at the Disney store right around Halloween time, so it was big time discounted. She LOVED the entire experience! Afterwards we ate breakfast in the castle, we went on rides, went back to OKW and took a nap then went back to MK for the evening Spectro/Wishes. We have the best pictures of the entire day. Her hair stayed put all day, even after the nap. In fact, I think it stayed put even for the next day. They put a lot of gel in the hair! If you have more specific questions just let me know.

hope2
01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
We are going in March, I have bought them Resort Dresses on Ebay.. I plan on having them wear them into the park, getting their BBB makeovers $55 make p and nails, then Castle lunch.. I plan on making it a princess day, autographs and meet and greets and parades.

I did see that Walmart has the sparklie hair spray in the toy section by the dress up stuff.. So if you are worried about touching it up.

cyndik1111
01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I recommend you do it!!!!!
It was my DD6's FAVORITE THING
We just got back from WDW
We did it in the morning 9 am at Downtown disney
Then went to epcot for breakfast at Norway for princess meal at 1040am
It was absolutely magical. (food was great) about $25/person
She wore her jasmine outfit from home, I bought the $49 package.
After, we did Epcot- she got SO MUCH ATTENTION!!!!
Every employee, tons of visitors and especially all the characters made a HUGE fuss over her. She truly felt like a princess. When she met jasmine, I cried it was so great- they made a huge fuss, she was beaming!
She slept that night and woke up with her hair still perfect.
It took about 2 washings to get the gel out (after swimming the next day)
This was the BEST $50 I spent at disney
And believe me, we spent many a $50 over and over for stupid things

Jane Michaels
01-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I think many, many people have a fantastic experience with this. However, I want to share with you our experience just to help you avoid a bad experience for your daughter.

My daughter saw this on the free vacation video and just thought it was the most wonderful thing! I did too!

My daughter has very thick and somewhat curly hair. Because of this, it was very painful to have her hairstyled. We don't have any trouble at the regular stylist, but she probably has more advanced training with hair. Our fairy godmother really wasn't sensitive to how it might feel to have a small toothed comb dragged through these thick locks. My daughter never made a peep, but great big tears were rolling down her cheeks. I didn't know what to do because by this time there was so much gooky gunk stuck in her hair. It was half up and half down in the Cinderella doo. I politely brought it to the fairy godmother's attention that my daughter was in a great deal of pain and was crying. She laughed and said, "It is painful being a princess." By the time the FG got done, I was practically squirting tears too. I felt so awful. Then they did the make up and fingernails. I thought they were just going to polish, but evidently they pushed back her cuticles too because that also was painful.

I am really not the kind of person who has a problem with little girls dressing up with make up. It really doesn't bother me at all. However, this FG really laid it on thick. It didn't look delicate and pretty, but rather like Halloween. When my husband saw her, he had to hide his shock before he gave her the princess compliments!

You don't have to worry about the hair do falling out soon because there is so much gunk and goo in the hair that it won't come out for a couple of days. We left it in for 2 days. It actually looked better the next day because it loosened a bit and didn't look so severe. It washed out easily with regular shampooing.

I think we just got a bad FG. She didn't talk to my daughter and really didn't seem to enjoy little children. Another FG next to ours was chatting and having a good time with her customer.

My daughter and I had a wonderful time afterwards riding all the rides in Fantasyland together with her new doo. It was a very special time that we will always remember. However, I hate that whenever we mention going to Disney World again, DD begs not to go to BBB. She gives a long litney about the pain of BBB.

If your daughter has fine hair, you will probably have a different experience than we had. If you have thick or curly hair, you might want to reconsider!

jessica29
01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
We are going in March, I have bought them Resort Dresses on Ebay.. I plan on having them wear them into the park, getting their BBB makeovers $55 make p and nails, then Castle lunch.. I plan on making it a princess day, autographs and meet and greets and parades.

I did see that Walmart has the sparklie hair spray in the toy section by the dress up stuff.. So if you are worried about touching it up.

This is what am doing too!

pixiewings71
01-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I took my girls in May. I got a makeover as well. :) We were at the DLR BBB but it was the same basic thing, we got compliments all day long, especially me as apparently Mom's don't do the BBB very often. :) We all had a fun time! Our FGiT were great and we loved it, personally I would do it again. :) I wish they had more hair styles available but I get why they don't, it's easier to just train people to do 3 styles. I have very thin, fine hair but I have a TON of it, DDthen12 has very thick hair, DDthen9 has normal hair, the FGiT had no problems at all with our hair and DDthen9 left hers in for 3 days! LOL Of course we didn't swim but that was a condition of doing the BBB, no swimming until the hair came down and I was not going to take it down the day it was done, the earliest we agreed to take it down was that night.

Tanzanite
01-21-2010, 11:37 AM
We did the full package 2 yrs ago it was expensive but worth it .Last year we took our own dress did just makeup was nice also either way is nice.:cool1::cool1:

2shortpeopleruleme
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
We just did this with DD4 in Sept. She loved it! We did the small package, just hair and make-up. We brought her dress that we got from the Disney store before hand. They give you the left over makeup and comb in a really cute bag. Our FGM also gave our DD2 a little bag with a comb and stckers!

When we were done we let her keep her dress on for a few rides then we ducked into a bathroom and put cooler clothes on. We asked a CM for a super big bag and put their dresses in the stroller. We had an ADR for dinner at 1900 Park Fare we just ducked back into the bathroom and put the dress back on! Everything stayed in place and she was in heaven!

Have a great trip!!

Perditamarie
01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
We also had a fabulous experience...brought our own dress and wore it to BBB, then had hair and make up done. A great experience! The princess 'do is very sturdy, and held up for 2 days, including a trip to SAB (I think we could have gone for 3 days but DD was done). All the cast members and guests treated her like she was a princess, so that made it extra special for her too...she is a shy girl and enjoyed getting a bit of extra attention.

As pp mentioned, everytime you turn around at WDW, something costs $50 -- this was so worth it!

Darling16
01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
As soon as my daughters seen the planning video....that is all they have talked about...being made into a princess! My daughters have a reservation for BBB this June 2010. We are doing the castle package. Yes, it is 200 dollars (400 for both of them), but my daughters are paying for it. They are five and nine years old, but they are learning the value of money and the excitement of saving up their own money. They count it almost every week...LOL! We have a large red container and all the money they received from doing chores, birthday money, or any change that they may find goes into this container...they almost have two hundred dollars already with less than six months to go!

Does anyone have a link that shows the current dresses available at the boutique?

misha-ginger
01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
My DD went to BBB on her 8th Birthday in November. She wore her own party dress and she had the $50 package. She is not much into princesses anymore but still wanted the tiara hairdo, go figure. Afterwards she received alot of attention in the parks and was thrilled about it. Just goes to show you are never to old to like being treated like a princess ;)

5stljayhawks
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
There youngings, anything you do will be cool. BTW - the shoes can really hurt walking around in. Stop at walmart of visit the disney outlet store online and have them pick out the dress and go cost effective. Heck, if they give you problems, explain the cost diff and throw in 10 ro 20 bucks for the park to buy something.

shelbys mommy
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I would love to do this, but DD will only be 14 months old when we go, so it's gonna have to wait!

ZPT1022
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Thank you for the opinions everyone.

Jane, one DD has fine hair and one has medium, so hopefully we don't have any problems but I must say, it sounds like you guys just got a really rotten helper! You probably should have complained but I'm sure you just wanted to let your little one finish and get out of there. I feel so sad that something that was supposed to be so special got ruined

After hearing all the positive responses I think we will go for it. I'll probably just have the girls do the hair/makeup/nails package and I'm thinking of asking my aunt who sews to make a princess costume but in cotton (more breathable for the summer heat). My oldest will be nine when we go so I think she's right on the edge of not wanting to do stuff like that anymore (but since the younger one is she won't want to be left out!) and my younger DD will be 6 and she is just so in love with all that glitters, sparkles or involves princesses.

I wonder if my son will be happy with the boy's hairdo (and maybe a cut at the barbershop?) or if he will want to go do the pirate makeover.

Shelby's mommy, not sure how much hair your little one has but all of my kids have had their first haircut at the barbershop in the MK and they did a great job with them! It's a family tradition now, so I suppose that obligates us to go back when it's Baby's turn (bummer, I know ;) )

ireland_nicole
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Definitely I think it's worth the money of the coach package. I personally wouldn't want to do the more expensive, because I was able to get all my pictures on my already purchased photopass CD - including the photo session after, and I purchased a park dress off ebay that the fairy godmother left out that morning when we woke up- complete w/ a note and pixie dust. They are given makeup to take home with them for touch ups; it was a good amount. My DD definitely wants to do it again next trip. I do her hair special all the time, but there's something magical about having it done there. One thing I don't like about the expensive package, the shoes aren't comfortable, and then you have to figure out what to do with the wand and crown all day. Just FYI, if you want to add a dress or special accessory when you get there, you certainly can, they just add it to your total.

TinkInPink
01-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm going to be the outlier here, but I'm going to say don't do it. I would definitely use the money for the pirate cruse or some other special event, souvenir etc. Having once been a 5 year old girl, the memory of having her hair done really isn't that special. I know that many times girls around us would have birthday parties at the local beauty school or my girl scout troop would go and for $15 or so get waaayyy more elaborate and pretty hairstyles, and had just as much fun. she will have limitless opportunities to get her hair done throughout her life, I would do something distinctly Disney.

If I were you and you wanted to do a little something you could pick up two hair pieces at claires, walmart, etc, some sparkly nail polish, some "little girl makeup", and glitter spray, put their hair in buns, wrap the hair things around them put on a bit of makeup and spray with glitter. Voila! Essentially the same as BBB, and they will probably be more comfortable with less gunk in their hair, and someone who has experience brushing it etc. doing it.

MarriedToAPrince
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I definietly recommend it. You don't have to do the biggest package for them to have a blast. I got the middle package for my niece in 2007 and it was the highlight of her trip! I have heard from so many parents on here that the hair do stays for 2 days because of all the stuff they put in and you get the make-up palate to take with you so no reason you couldn't reapply for the evening after swimming or nap.

shelbys mommy
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Shelby's mommy, not sure how much hair your little one has but all of my kids have had their first haircut at the barbershop in the MK and they did a great job with them! It's a family tradition now, so I suppose that obligates us to go back when it's Baby's turn (bummer, I know ;) )

She has SOME hair, not much. I have always said she was never getting her haircut, but since she can't do BBB I'm thinking of getting her hair trimmed at MK. Here is a pic of her, you can see her hair, or lack of it :laughing:

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/shelbys-mommy/100_1938.jpg

ZPT1022
01-21-2010, 11:38 PM
She has SOME hair, not much. I have always said she was never getting her haircut, but since she can't do BBB I'm thinking of getting her hair trimmed at MK. Here is a pic of her, you can see her hair, or lack of it :laughing:

I guess you will be like us and just have to go for another trip later ;) It's a shame, I know, but someone has to take one for the team :thumbsup2

shelbys mommy
01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I guess you will be like us and just have to go for another trip later ;) It's a shame, I know, but someone has to take one for the team :thumbsup2

I thought about doing it for just me, but when she's old enough I want it to be a mother/daughter thing. I just hope BBB is open in 3 years! And that's just another excuse on why I HAVE to go to Disney in 3 years!

katla33
01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I think you should do it! My DD did it last year when she was 6 1/2 and it was the highlight of her trip. She just got the hair and nails, I did not buy her a dress. I told her that she would be itchy and uncomfortable running around in a Princess costume all day. But she is older and not really that into Princesses anymore so she did not care. If I had a younger child that was Princess crazy, I would definitely bring my own dress and let her wear it!

Happiest mommy
01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
we are doing it in May I have bought her a dress on sale $20 bucks:thumbsup2 and we are doing the middle package I say do it they are in the princess stage for such a short time enjoy it while it last:goodvibes

momof1princess
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
BBB is definitely worth it-my DD did it last june at almost 12 years old and LOVED it. me....not so much. DD had her hair cut off short in february last year, so when she had her BBB makeover, there was a layer underneath in the back that wasn't long enough for the high ponytail used for the "bun". that layer was left hanging down in the back, and, in my opinion, it looked really goofy (no pun intended). DD didn't mind though, and that's what matters.

LuvindisCruiser
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
I have made a ressie for my daughter who is 10.:thumbsup2
She is so excited ! She is going to pay half for the hair, make-up, and nails.
She is not into princesses anymore, so I thought we would buy her a
pretty and comfortable dress to wear that day.:)
What are the options for the hair ?
And, I heard you get a ribbon or something you can wear ?:confused3
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of dress to get her ?
Would the makeover go with a Hannah Montana outfit, maybe? :confused3
And, we have an 8:40 appt. will she really be out in 30 minutes ?

thepeach80
01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Ilana and the boys have reservations at WDW BBB and then we'll have lunch at the castle! Ilana is already talking about it. My mom just got her a clearance dress today from the Disney Store for $20 so I'm hoping she likes it and it's comfortable. We'll get her some special sandals to wear w/ it. We're just doing the basic package since she's only 3, but I know she'll love it. She's the ultimate girly girl. Olivia might have hair by then, but I'm starting to wonder, lol.

ljcrochet
01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
One of my DD loved BBB. The first time she had a great FGIT, she got one that was better with curly hair. DD loved ever momment of it. We brought a cinderella dress from home but I had her change at BBB which made it even more magical. She got the bun.
The next time DD changed into her Belle dress and got the hairstyle with the fake hair. It took forever for the FGIT to tease the hair, you could tell that DD was ready to be done. My other DD wanted nothing to do with BBB. We had an appointment for her the 2nd trip, and she said no way didn't even want the glitter in her hair.

If you don't do the top package you can still go to and get a photo shoot.

momof1princess
01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I have made a ressie for my daughter who is 10.:thumbsup2
She is so excited ! She is going to pay half for the hair, make-up, and nails.
She is not into princesses anymore, so I thought we would buy her a
pretty and comfortable dress to wear that day.:)
What are the options for the hair ?
And, I heard you get a ribbon or something you can wear ?:confused3
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of dress to get her ?
Would the makeover go with a Hannah Montana outfit, maybe? :confused3
And, we have an 8:40 appt. will she really be out in 30 minutes ?

the FGIT work pretty fast, so 30 minutes is definitely doable. my daughter was given a pink sash with purple writing on it that said bibbidi bobbidi boutique and had an outline of cinderella's face in purple writing. she wore it all day. her hair was put up on a very high bun, with a small crown in the front. she just wore her regular clothes. i figured at age 12, the princess dress and shoes would be a little much, lol. one word of warning: the hairdos are heavily gelled and sprayed-DD's bun was hard as a rock-we knocked on it and it didn't move at all. it took 2-3 shampoos to get it all out.

Dixiemom
01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
We will do it again in March. True, the hair is probably hurricane proof (a good think in Florida :rotfl2:), but the nails will pop off quickly. Because of this I almost did just the hair and makeup, but DD really wanted those nails, so I caved. I thought my DH was going to cry when he saw her. He said "she looks like a princess".....

Arabella1978
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
BBB was my four year old's favorite disney experience when we went last March.

What she loved wasn't so much the actual experience of getting her hair or makeup done. It was the experience of being a real princess in Disney World, and feeling like that magic was even more magical.

I can't stress enough how much all the CM's fuss over the little princesses walking around...they really complete the experience...even ol' mouse ears himself made a big deal out of the 'royalty'. It was definitely worth the money...here is my favorite picture from that day...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/Arabella1978/2009_0326october20080130.jpg

Also, we saved money by buying our costume at the disney store before we left...got it on clearance. It was actually much nicer than the ones they had at BBB...felt like better material!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/Arabella1978/2009_0326october20080124.jpg

grace&philipsmom
01-31-2010, 06:27 AM
If your daughter has fine hair, you will probably have a different experience than we had. If you have thick or curly hair, you might want to reconsider!

I just want to say the DD has very fine hair and she still found this to be a very uncomfortable process. She had the full package twice, the first time she cried while they did her hair. She insisted that on the next trip she was a bigger kid and wouldn't cry. But the second time she wouldn't let them touch her hair. The FG tried to insist since it was included in the price and they couldn't take it out of the pkg price but when I say how distressed DD was I said to forget the hair. They ended up giving us extra hair accessories.

The next time we went to WDW DD wanted to do BBB again and I said she would have to settle for getting a new costume.

Other than the hair she loved the nails, makeup, costume and "royal" attention.

mtnmomma3
01-31-2010, 08:22 AM
We are taking my almost 4 year old in a few weeks to the BBB... she has a chin length, bob style cut (she always wears it clipped to the side with a bow)... what will they with that?!?!?!

Goofy'slady
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks to YouTube, threads like these and my 4yr old's big brown eyes I finally booked her very first BBB experience this morning for our April visit. I also booked an appointment for our 11yr old who while likes the Princesses has out grown them a bit and has decided to to the Pirate League Experience.

For my daughter's BBB experience I plan to make her a Princess Jasmine tutu and she'll wear a Jasmine T-shirt to complete the look. I know she'll only wear the costume for short periods throughout the day as opposed to all day long and I don't want to spend tons of money for a costume she's gonna want to take off.

Last year I made her an adorable Tinker Bell tutu to me Tink and the other Pixie Hallow Fairies in and it worked perfectly. So much easier to take off a tutu that ties with a bow up front then dealing with a full on dress.

They are both beyond excited and this is something I know they'll remember for a long time to come.

T.

natashag76
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
What we did at the beginning of January when we were there, was take my DD6 to the Barber shop on Main Street. She got a desperately needed haircut and she begged to have a bun. They try not to compete with BBB, but the lady explained that customer satisfaction is #1. :lmao: The lady made a bun, put glitter in her hair and it was all $15. Tip is separate and cannot be put on a credit card, so bring cash! We packed our own princess gown from Wal-Mart. She never knew the difference. So, $20 later, she had her hair-do, we had a lot more $ still in our wallets and everyone was happy! BUT!!! The barbershop does not take appointments! First come, first served. So I immediately took my 2 big ones to the barber shop while DH ran to Peter Pan for fast passes. By the time he got back, they were almost done and we took a leisurely stroll to Fantasy land for our ride :thumbsup2

ARmomof2
01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
I seriously considered booking an appointment for my dd3. I lurked on the BBB thread for weeks, and watched the video clip on the WDW site several times. I finally decided to skip the BBB and do the princess thing on our own. :)
I bought my DD an absolutely adorable dress from littledressupshop.com. It is comfy, and too cute. I even got a white velvet hooded cape to go with it. It was also a VERY good price. I am going to do her hair and make up in the room before our princess dinner in Norway. By doing it myself, I can control how "done" she is. Some of the girls in the pics and video are more made-up than I would like for my DD. I think this will be very special for her, it is not something that ever happens at home, and she honestly doesn't know what she is missing out on.

Disney_momto2
01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
We did the big package 1x when DD was (almost 3) hair and makeup and bought a costume when she was 3 1/2 and last year I did her hair bought the same hair extension they use at BBB and she wore last years costume.

You can get the photo session free and have the pic added to your Photo pass CD so you are only paying for the hair/make up and you can choose what parts of the costume to buy or bring your own.

Here are pics from our experiences

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff23/dawnedwards/100_2306-2.jpg http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff23/dawnedwards/100_2351.jpg http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff23/dawnedwards/image062-1.jpg

jlafferty
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
We just got back and did the BBB thing, I am gald we did it but cannot imagine doing it again. I think I can accomplish the same effect which is what we were going for, she could of cared less about the experience, just the result.