PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Intuniv?

TexasTodds
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
I know that this is sort of a strange place to post this, but my "disboard" family is always a good source of info!

My oldest son seems to have an extreme case of ADHD, combined with a very high metabolism. We started out on Adderall XR, and that worked for about a year and a half, and then started on Vyvanse, which was great for about another year and a half, but for the last year, it has just been a losing battle with him.

About 4 months ago, we switched to Focalin XR, 20 mg twice a day, and he is still has lots of impulsive and distracted days. I wish the vyvanse would still work, because the first year or so we were on it, it was so good, but then it just stopped, even with a higher dosage.

Today the dr. mentioned intuniv, which apparently is the extended release version of another medication that has been around awhile. It is a non-stimulant, that works on the area of the brain that controls impulsivity and defiance (another problem at home, but thankfully not at school). Sounds like a great thing, IF it works!

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences with the trial and error of finding the right medication.

I hope this doesn't sound offensive, but please don't suggest that we just eliminate sugar/food dyes etc. We have gone through alot of testing, and are working with a psychiatrist who specializes in these areas, and I have already asked about that for him. Living with a child with ADHD is very frustrating at times, especially since it seems to be very misunderstood. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now! :rolleyes1

Thanks!

TexasTodds
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Bumping...anyone??

SnowWhite12
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi. I'm a School Social Worker and am the one who actually diagnoses ADHD in our schools, and inservices the teachers on ADHD symptoms and techniques to use in the classroom. And I can say that I have never heard of that particular medicine. It must be brand new, which would make me a little nervous (but definitely your doctor would know way more than I do about that). Have you tried Concerta or Stratera? Stratera can take about 6-8 weeks to really kick in, but after that it's quite effective. I am not a huge fan of Focalin. Most of the parents and kids I work with don't think it works great. Sorry to hear about the Vyvanse.
I might suggest trying the new med for at least 30 days and see how your child does with it (i.e. affecting appetite, sleep patterns, mood).

TexasTodds
01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Intuniv is new, but actually is just an extended release form of tenex, which has been out for a while, but only as in immediate release form. We did try stratera for about 6 months, but it just didn't work. The doctor had said it would really work, or not at all.

yes, the Focalin does seem to not work as well, so we are hoping that the intuniv will help. He is actually takes the focalin XR two times per day.

Thanks!

thenewgirl
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi,
My DS8 is trying Intuniv...here's a bit of our 'history.'
DS has always had an anxiety problem. We've known this since before he was 1. He also has Sensory Integration problems, some depression, and was diagnosed ADHD. Finally, we are considering he may have Asperger's, but the 'tests' were too borderline to clearly indicate one way or the other.
I have always been totally against meds, but last year his impulsivity and lack of attention wore us down. We tried Daytrana first but that gave him really bad tics...so no stimulants for DS! We tried Strattera next, and it made him manic...seriously, crazy. It was almost unbearable living with him. So, now we are trying Intuniv. He was on 2 mg for a month and there wasn't much difference, BUT if he was late taking it or missed it, he was 2-3 times worse than he ever was before we started this whole mess. Now he is on 3 mg, and he can't stay awake. He falls asleep every few hours, and when he is awake, he complains of feeling dizzy (he says he feels like his head is going in circles and it embarrasses him). So...we are stuck. Our doc says the onlly thing we can do next is try another stimulant, but after seeing what that did to him, I don't think we are ready for that.
I did a lot of research on Intuniv before we started it, and it appears to be really good for helping most kids. I had hoped this would be the one. It looks like we are running out of possibilities. So, I know your pain with the whole trial and error thing!
Good luck whatever you decide!