PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the Kids at Home...

MerriH807
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I know this has come up before, but I am still confused as to whether or not to go without the kids.... We went with our kids ages 2 and 4 last summer and had a blast. We want to take them back in August again this year, but sneak in a trip by ourselves in July....

We have been talking about taking a 10 year anniversary vacation for several years. We imagined a tropical island, beaches, and fruity cocktails, BUT then we went to Disney.

For our anniversary trip, we would stay at the Grand Floridian, possible Club Level and dine a Victoria's and Alberts. We could see the "other side" of Epcot as we sample drinks from around the world instead of having fruity drinks on a beach!!?? We are also weary about leaving the country without the kiddies....

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated......I feel guilty already for even posting this!!
Merri

TexasTodds
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Your kids are young enough that there is alot you can't do with them at the park, so I would certainly go without them, especially if you were planning to go back with them again anyway.

Enjoy your anniversary!

JustAGirl
01-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Ive thought about going alone and leaving the kiddos behind for a short solo trip but I would feel too guilty knowing how much they would enjoy it . I plan to just contuinue to suck it up and bring them along . I love my bad babies :)

OP you said you are taking them in August so you and your hubby go ahead and enjoy Disney by yourself. Dont feel any guilt you are great parents and they will see Disney another time. Do everything you want to do on your adult trip and have a blast .

pweyl36
01-20-2010, 06:20 AM
There is nothing wrong with doing just adult trips, my dh and I try to do this when we can. And I can tell ya its great to not have to worry about kids. Go and have a good time.:thumbsup2

disneylovinfamily
01-20-2010, 06:40 AM
my Dh and I wanted to do this last year and I had the same thoughts as you about guilt, ect. Our kids were 3 and 6 at the time. Ut was for our 8 year anniversary and with the military deal it was teh perfect time to do it. We had gone in september with the kids and wanted to do a long weekend in october for ourselves. Well we decided to do it and let me tell you it was the best decision EVER! WE HAD AN ABSOLUTE BLAST! I had never been away from my youngest and I am a stay at home mom. THey both had a great time away (him at grandmoms and her at a friends because of school) and we had teh best vacation of our lives. Of course our family trips are great but there is something magical about being there just the 2 of you. We definatly fell in love all over again. I say go for it!

The Hendies
01-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Ah... Yes, a trip to Disney without the kids! Later this week we will be doing just that! We have never been to Disney without at least one, if not all three kids. BTW, Look below for the ages of our 'kids'! Seriously, a get-a-way by yourselves is important im my book. We didn't really get to do it too much when ours were little, but when we did, it was heaven! Enjoy!

kellyg403
01-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Honestly? Dh and I did an adults only trip two years ago. IT WAS THE BEST TRIP EVER! No running around for fastpasses because someone wanted to ride this or that but also wanted to sleep until noon, no keeping everyone happy etc. We did things we haven't done with the kids (they are all teens now). We rode the boat from MGM to Epcot, ate at 2TS restaurants and treated ourselves to the deluxe dining plan. We people watched, did the tour of Epcot...the adult way. It was the most relaxing trip I have been on in years. If I get the chance to do it again...I am there! And this time I won't worry about the guilt of leaving the kids behind..they lived and haven't held it against us!

Kelly

pixiemagic30
01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
My DH and I did this 5 years ago for our 10 yr anniversary. I have to agree with other posters, it was one of my favorite trips! We didn't have to wonder where the kids were, make sure they got to choose what rides, what to eat, when to eat... This is one trip that I recommend to everyone -- go to Disney WITHOUT the kids! You'll love it!

Melknor
01-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Me and DH just did it in Sept for our 10yr anniversary. We spent 3 nights at the Poly and then took a 7 day cruise. It was the best trip ever! It was worth it just to re-connect again with no kids. Touring Disney without the kids gave us time to just take everything in. No rushing to get to rides. Plus staying at the Poly was a little piece of heaven in itself.

I say go for it! Especially since you are going as a family later in the year.

scrapquitler
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
We are facing the same dilemma right now...we are considering a may or june trip to WDW without the kids for our 20th anniversary...the kids are 13 and almost 7, and they've been 3 times (the 13 year old has been 4). Dh feels guilty and says we shouldn't do it without them, but I think we should. Decisions, decisions...

kehlyrsmom
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I've been checking into an Adults only trip for my hubby and myself for our 19th anniversary in May. I know it is not our big '20' yet but we could really use a long weekend away. We already have a Bounce Back offer with free dining booked in Sept to take the kiddo's, so I don'f feel guilty for taking a trip with just us.

5stljayhawks
01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
The DW and I are a little more than an a month away from our second WDW P's only trip. We volunteered last weekend, got our vouchers today and we have a day and half planned in the parks. She has to work:banana: and I get to play :cool1:.

Sure there is guilt, but you will have fun maybe even relax, can act like an adult at Epcot or dowtown disney and not worry about getting kids home. BTW what you may spend on the kids every time they want something, you can spend on nice dinners and Ma Pa rootbeers