PDA

View Full Version : As a mom who loves Disney, what would you do if you could go ALONE?

JUJU814
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I've posted already that I'm going alone for a few days this week: Thursday night arriving very late and coming home Sunday.

I'm going to Orlando for business and usually stay on Disney property. I have an annual pass already and am staying at the Boardwalk Inn.

That being said, I've never been completely alone. I have a meeting Saturday afternoon at my resort. Therefore, I have all day and night Friday to myself, most of the day Saturay, and saturday evening.

No doubt I'll spend some time sleeping in. I also will be "working" in my hotel room in the evenings, no doubt.

I've only eaten alone in a resturaunt a few times.

I want to make the most of this little getaway.

If you could spend a couple of days doing WHATEVER *YOU* WANTED because well, no one else was with you, at Disney, what would YOU choose??

Give me some ideas!!

One this is for sure on the list: walking around the World Showcase and totally and completely taking my time. I have never had that luxury because usually the kids don't want to do the world showcase.

Other ideas? Give me a list! This seems very surreal.

Tristen79
01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Still havent had the "alone" disney experience except for when i've shot over to MK after DD was asleep and DW stayed back.

I did then shoot over to MK and stroll around Frontierland while the parade and Wishes were playing as ive seen them quite a few times and it was crazy how quickly i got around while trying to take my time, I was able to shoot on all the rides, i stopped in shops that i never even knew existed

And I loved doing the Hidden Mickey hunts as we're usually going too much or too preoccupied with entertaining that we dont stop to look for them all over

Some other time consumers that arent conducive to kids but would be pretty cool: different backstage tours, lunch/dinner with an imagineer, resort hopping which we did on my b-day trip we went for a long w/e with no DD and it was pretty cool to check out those as well (hint: we did a little Disney Best East Scavenger Hunt at resorts to try those little trips like Zebra Domes and Dole Whips)

Enjoy :wizard:

JUJU814
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Still havent had the "alone" disney experience except for when i've shot over to MK after DD was asleep and DW stayed back.

I did then shoot over to MK and stroll around Frontierland while the parade and Wishes were playing as ive seen them quite a few times and it was crazy how quickly i got around while trying to take my time, I was able to shoot on all the rides, i stopped in shops that i never even knew existed

And I loved doing the Hidden Mickey hunts as we're usually going too much or too preoccupied with entertaining that we dont stop to look for them all over

Some other time consumers that arent conducive to kids but would be pretty cool: different backstage tours, lunch/dinner with an imagineer, resort hopping which we did on my b-day trip we went for a long w/e with no DD and it was pretty cool to check out those as well (hint: we did a little Disney Best East Scavenger Hunt at resorts to try those little trips like Zebra Domes and Dole Whips)

Enjoy :wizard:

ooooh!!! I hadn't thought of a backstage tour!!! Thanks!

dislvr74
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
In my limited experience (only one trip totally solo so far), the best part was NOT having a plan. I just did whatever I felt like doing. I did manage to see both Wishes and Illuminations in the same night, which was the one goal I had. It is so much quicker to travel between the parks by yourself!

I did carry a paperback with me because I wanted something to do while I was eating, waiting for parades, ect. I barely read it though because I often ended up chatting with people who were near me. I'm a very introverted and shy person, but I still had the best time just chatting with complete strangers.

Maggie'sMom
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I did a 4 day solo trip last year. I'm a single mom and when I go to WDW with DD, I haven't been able to ride the "big" rides. She was just over 40" on our last trip, but was very fearful of the rides that had height restrictions and wouldn't try them. So my solo trip gave me a chance to ride all the things I couldn't with her: TOT, RNR Rollercoaster, Space Mountain, etc.

It was wonderful being able to set my own pace and leisurely browse through the shops in World Showcase. I watched every one of the shows in WS. I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour and highly recommend that. I sat and enjoyed a meal with a glass of wine and didn't have to worry about keeping DD occupied and content. I went to the pool, relaxed and read a book.

I would do this again in a heartbeat. Go, relax, and enjoy yourself! (I'm jealous.)

frtchr
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
First of all, SO jealous but excited for you!! :goodvibes

I would love to look around World Showcase or the stores on Main Street in the MK alone. Heck, I would like to look around ANY store alone. :lmao:

Other than aimless wandering, I would treat myself to a great meal somewhere. DS has food allergies, so I feel like I'm always cooking for him at home.

A tour sounds like an awesome idea! That would be so much fun!!! :cutie:

debdreamsofdis
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I used to be one of those moms that thought I'd never want to go to Disney without my kids-until I had them.:lmao: Now, going alone is a dream of mine! Count me in the "jealous" club.

I would definately eat a meal in one of those more upscale, quiet, adult type restaurants that you don't dare set foot in with a toddler. And I think just quietly browsing through the shops would be wonderful.

I would also book a relaxing spa treatment/massage. I think that would be heaven.

Enjoy!

MJAJmom
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I used to be one of those moms that thought I'd never want to go to Disney without my kids-until I had them.:lmao: Now, going alone is a dream of mine! Count me in the "jealous" club.!

I'd like to just second the "jealous" comment!!! :dance3:

I'd like to eat at a signature dining place, maybe take a tour. Do the adult rides my kids can't do yet (EE, Space Mtn, ToT). Do more shopping.

I would like not to push a double stroller!!!

monkey30
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd like to just second the "jealous" comment!!! :dance3:

I am in there as well!!! I would love to have a day to myself no baby or kids to worry about and just wonder around Epcot and taste all of the drinks I could handle before I got to intoxicated....if I pace myself....... :rotfl:

kpgriswold
01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
World Showcase at my leisure! Dinner @ the California Grill while watching fireworks! A "Keys to the Kingdom" tour! Actually finding all the birds on the Maharajah Jungle Trek! And Dole Whips for lunch. :rotfl:

bama-mom
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
OMG! That is a huge dream of mine! MK all alone would be heaven. I would not plan either, just walk around and see all the things I never have time to see with the kids. I would probably shop and look, more than ride things. 8-10 years ago, I would have died before I would have gone somewhere like that by myself or eaten in a restaurant alone......now I would give anything to do that just one only @ MK :love:

Have a wonderful time and know that lots of us Dis'ers are completely envious of your alone time! :worship:

MrsGoofyMitchell
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I would definitely take my time walking around the World Showcase. Walk around Downtown Disney and spend as long as I want in each store (DH hates when I want to linger in a store).

Have fun!

mom0299
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
After taking my time around World Showcase I would go to Animal Kingdom and use the single rider line at EE over and over and over. At MK I would love to sit on a bench with a view of the castle and people watch.

Maybe someday....:rolleyes:

Siouxstone
01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I would watch Wishes from dead center Main Street!:lmao: No keeping up with little hands, or big hands for that matter. popcorn:: No worry about losing anyone in the crowd. Ah, yes, I have big dreams.:rotfl2:

hmacmahony
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
My best friend and I are planning our very first every moms get away. We have 7 kids between us, who have been to disney 8 times (between them). We decided we deserve a weekend away, neither one of have ever left our kids, to do anything like this.
So, we are THRILLED! We each picked out our one dinner we had to have (one was 1900 park fare, the other ohana). We both are very excited to ride some rides we haven't done, watch the parade while eating a mickey bar, and not having to entertain a child too. Sleeping late, and staying in the park until 2 in the morning (although, I do have to say our kids will stay as long as the park is open). But it will be a while new world!
We want to get tshirts made, but we can't figure out what to put on them!
Can you imagine taking snacks to sit and watch fantasmic, and eating them, while sitting quietly, just waiting for the show to start....
can't wait!!

JUJU814
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
So far, I'm having dinner at Kouzzina Friday night with a girlfriend I haven't seen in 20 years!!!

Looking into Keys to the Kingdom tour.

scjo68
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I am happy for you! Wish I could do this!
I think the KTTK tour is a great idea!
I have always wanted to be able to take the time to notice all the little details. I have three Imagineering field guides, as well as the Hidden Magic book, and they are full of little secrets/fun things to look for. I can't investigate too many with the family, because subtle touches and special thematic details don't keep a 5 yr old boy's attention too long in the middle of a theme park!

You must give a report when you get back!
Have fun! :cool1:

macmom3
01-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I would try to get to see many parades as possible. I've never seen an afternoon parade because it's always nap time and we're going back to the resort. I would also go to Fantasmic. Seeing you need to get there 2 hours before just to get a seat taking 3 kids ages 2, 4 and 6, waiting that long isn't an option.

JustAGirl
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I would ride all the big rides I wont be able to ride with the kids . I would take my time wander, get a nice stiff drink and enjoy the astmosphere .Oh and I would eat at a fancy restaurant with a nice glass of red wine acting like im sophisicated and do it all the time! Ha what a dream!

JUJU814
01-20-2010, 05:52 AM
I would ride all the big rides I wont be able to ride with the kids . I would take my time wander, get a nice stiff drink and enjoy the astmosphere .Oh and I would eat at a fancy restaurant with a nice glass of red wine acting like im sophisicated and do it all the time! Ha what a dream!

Great idea! How do I act sophisticated though?:rotfl2:

kwitcherkicken99
01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
I would hit up every ride that I like that my family doesn't which consist of the all of the Mountains!

I too would spend some QT in World Showcase and probably mill around the Land Pavillion for an extended amount of time. I would also really walk AK and do lots of photography.

Have a great time on your trip!

Gerweniel
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you have lots of similar ideas to mine! It will be a trip of many firsts! I'll be traveling alone for 5 days, staying at POFQ. (1st time) What I am planning is:

1) Leisure time at the pool (hopefully the sun will be shining)
2) A Keys to the Kingdom Tour (1st time)
3) See all the shows my teen boys won't tolerate.
4) An early dinner at Kouzzina, (1st time) stroll around the Boardwalk (never done), then boat ride to Epcot where I'll check out all the shops and explore the countries fully - not at a racing pace.
5) Lunch at Saana (1st time).
6) Seek out and watch the Dapper Dans, the daytime parades and the bands that play.
7) At the Studios, spend some time lingering and watching the street performers.
8) Walk the Pangani Nature Trail at AK.
9) Enjoy a bier & pretzel in the Biergarten at Germany!

It will be fun to people watch, take the single rider's line and do whatever, whenever. I will miss touring the parks with my boys, but that is what future trips are for.

Enjoy your stay and do what YOU want to do!

southtexasmom
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
If I went alone I would sleep in a little, take my time going through the parks and actually get to go in all the shops that I wouldn't dare taking my kids into.

chrisw127
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I've gone a couple of times with just my girlfriends; it's been so fun. I miss the kids, but it's only for a few days and I love being able to do all the things I can't do when they're with me.

Every mom I've mentioned going without the kids to has said the same thing: I want to do that to! And then they usually start naming all the things they would do without the kids.

DisneySJB
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Another vote for exploring World Showcase at a slower pace.

I would sit by the pool and read a really good book and order frozen drinks from the bar.

I would also book a spa day at Saratoga Springs Spa.

nemofans
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Mine would be eating at CRT. I am the only girl in the family & would love to just once go in the castle. Don't care about the character meal, but just being in the castle. Also, being able to explore WS thoroughly. It would also include eating at my fav restaurant, Narcoossee's & riding ToT multiple times in a row. I think taking time to look around at everything & take in the little details would be nice too.

patchchild
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
My camera and I would be spending lots and lots of time quietly in the World Showcase. There are so many incredible details that I've never had a chance to just sit back and enjoy.

Tanzanite
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
HI i would go get a facial at Grand Floridian or a massage .:cool1::cool1:

Darcy03231
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm toying with the idea of taking a trip by myself (maybe take my mom with me) next fall. Some of things I want to do are:

1. Take my time going through the World Showcase. I feel like there's so much more to it than I've had time to see. I also want to be able to spend more time in FutureWorld. It seems like we usually have just one day for Epcot and we miss a lot. I'd like to plan a minimum of 2 days (possibly 3) there.

2. See the street entertainment at DHS. We've walked by some of the skits on the way to rides and they look pretty good.

3. Take plenty of time to see the animals at AK. Its another thing we tend to hurry through to get to the rides.

4. Go to Downtown Disney! In all the trips we've done I've been once for about an hour.

AirGoofy
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Do the Segway Tour at Epcot World Showcase (try not to do it intoxicated).

Pixie Princess
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
I would do every backstage tour I could. My daughter is not old enough for most of them ( nor would she be willing to give up park time) and I'm DYING to do Keys to the Kingdom. I would go to Victoria and Albert's, and of course, some spa time would be in order.

cheshireqt
01-23-2010, 07:58 AM
My first thought was that I would be a little sad to be at Disney without the family, but then began thinking of what I would do at Disney for a whole weekend :goodvibes Keys to the Kingdom, spa, leisurely dinner with an old friend, hanging out at the pool reading a book and soaking in some rays....sounds like a wonderful trip to me!

cheshireqt
01-23-2010, 08:02 AM
One thing I forgot...resort viewing! I would love to poke around some of the resorts I have not seen yet.

Sorsha
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
This is one of my dreams!! Total "me" time at WDW... :cloud9:

I would take my time and wander around just soaking in the atmosphere. I wouldn't do ANY rides unless *I* wanted to do them - no coasters for the hubby and DD15, and no Dumbo for the 6 yr old. :cheer2:

In Epcot, I would spend almost the whole day in World Showcase, and totally explore each country. I would catch ALL the shows, and eat in Morocco (my family always says no to this one). I would go over to Future world and sit and watch the fountains, and I would definitely take the "Behind the Seeds" tour at the Land.

In Animal Kingdom I would spend time wandering up and down each trail, and exploring all the little hidden nooks and crannies that Disney is so good at. I would explore every store, and catch every performer.

In MK I would do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, and I would ride all of my old classic favorites. I would do Pirates, and Haunted Mansion, and Jungle Cruise, and Carousel of Progress. I would also spend a lot of time exploring Main Street - an area we usually just rush through trying to get to the rest of the park.

ebtbmom
01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I have been seriously considering taking a trip solo this fall, not a business trip or anything, just my own little vacay. I felt like a freak for considering it, glad I'm not alone!:rotfl2:

DH and DS do Disney OK, but they DO NOT love it like I do. I'm sure that DS would rather that I go alone rather than drag him again (we are just returning from DLR). And DH is in nursing school and can't take the time off.

I've been feeling a little pathetic that I can't just wait a few years and go back when they are ready. But all of these great suggestions for solo time is making me want it even more. Maybe I should just go for it and not care if people think I'm an obsessed weirdo.:lmao:

nursegirl
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm going with my DH in a few weeks - he has to be in Orlando on business, so I have two days completely on my own at WDW! That's sort of solo, right? I am dying to do KTKT, we sent my parents on the tour two years ago for their anniversary and they loved it. But the tours usually start early-ish and I'm hoping to get some sleep in, so I may try that the next time I go solo.:rotfl:

I'm eating at the Brown Derby (1st time), have no other strict plans except to wonder around a lot. I'm just so excited about being there - it really is my happy place. I'm sure I will miss the kids, but I'm bringing our 5 year old back in May, so it'll be ok.

I love that all of the answers are so similar to what I was thinking - great Disney-loving minds think alike!!

Have an awesome time!!!:goodvibes:yay:

Disney_Tall_Mommy
01-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I am a mom and did a solo trip last year. My mom said her friends asked if I was getting a divorce.:scared1: Nope I am just addicted to Disney and husband gets tired of going. I got to do a combination of things that I can't do with my daughter and things my husband wouldn't enjoy: Parts of the trip I loved and some parts I got lonely. I think I would go with a girlfriend next time I want an adults only trip.

*Massage at resort
*Riding roller coasters
*Browsing shops at Downtown Disney (Dh would hate this)
*Listening to musicians at World Showcase. Enjoyed Off Kilter (Candada) and Voices of Liberty (America)
*Saw the movies in World Showcase (O'Canada ect.)
*Rode Liberty Square Riverboat at sunset and got awesome pictures
*Did one character meal Cape May Cafe because I wanted to see the Beach Club Resort and love breakfast food buffets
*Ate at Boma for breakfast
*Watched the castle stage show for the first time
*ate at Biergarten
*layed in hammock at resort and read a book

TxRabbit
01-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Loving the idea of strolling around WS at leisure...
Also seeing all the shows that DH and/or DS wouldn't want to...we split up on our last trip and I saw the Beauty and the Beast show while they stood in line for RnR and I LOVED the show, I wanted to see others.

I have to add that I would love to do the Tea time at the GF.

PiperPizzaz
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
A few years ago I took the segway tour at EPCOT it was awesome. Then I took my time strolling out of the park to meet up with DH at DTD which didn't even happen. I sure wish I had gone on Soarin' like I wanted too. Anyway, point is it was SO relaxing!!! Anytime I am too stressed that is one of the things I visualize. :goodvibes

I also did KTTW tour this last November and it was SO COOL!

hanutedmansionmomma
01-30-2010, 06:11 AM
how fun would this be?!?!

If I could go alone, I'd:

Eat snacks instead of meals
Take lots of pictures of architectural details
Stalk "Off Kilter", the cute kilt wearing celtic rock band in Epcot:rotfl:
Spend a lot of time in the home goods parts of stores
Go to shows
Ride the carousel in MK
Stay in a resort on the monorail

:thumbsup2

DawnM
01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
When we lived in CA I used to go down to DL alone whenever I could.....we would often have conferences in the Anaheim area and I would leave as early as I could and go to DL for a few hours alone.

I LOVED it!

If I were you, I would go on the things I loved the best and do single rider lines.

Even when the family is with me I often split up and go alone on Single Rider over and over on rides they aren't as excited about.

Dawn

pookybean
01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
i just took a solo trip in nov. about 3 wks before i went i said this is it, i NEED to get away. told ex-dh he was keeping the kids and off i went for 4 days. i didnt really have much of a plan, i got on whatever bus pulled up first.

spent a TON of time in the world showcase (this seems to be a pattern for us moms huh) but got through everything in epcot in about 7 hours. when i go with the kids we usually split epcot into 2 days.

went to jelly rolls one night. i was great to do alone. the piano guys are so funny and it got crowded. i didnt feel uncomfortable at all.

i ate what/when ever i wanted. which was mostly ice cream for breakfast and cinnamon rolls for dinner! LOL

did EE about 3 times in a row with single rider, 2x with test track.

and kttk tour was amazing, and did not take one bit of magic away, i was in awe of some of the things i saw but in no way disillusioned.

it was nice to not have a plan and just go with whatever i decided at the time.

my favorite memory is on the first day i skipped (litteraly!) through the line for no bags. and i think i actually sang I have no bags, i have no bags i have no bags....as i was skipping thru the entrance.

oh and another was a bus driver making jokes about crabby kids, i said thats why i left mine at home. she asked if i was on a honeymoon etc...and i said nope alone. the lady sitting next to me told her kids i could never leave you guys home and come here alone. i very sweetly said "my kids have already been 4 times in the last 4 yrs...and we have a trip planned for june." um well i didnt mean....yeah ok lady...it was priceless

go, you will have and amazing time! cant wait for my 2nd solo!

megan

GrumpyCAdad
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I would kill for a solo trip to WDW!! My wife is not as big a Disney nut as me and only likes going once every five years. She prefers DL.

I'd love to go play some golf, wander aimlessly and do all the rides/attractions she does not really care for. I'd miss my family but would love to do it once!!!