PDA

View Full Version : How do you darken a stroller...

vettechick99
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
For napping? DD is not good at napping in the sunlight, or when there are visual distractions. But if it's quite and dark, she'll nap forever.

What do you use to keep out both light and distractions, but keep it cool in there? Have to use a fan?

hstrickland
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you staying on Disney property? We usually go back to the hotel, let the kids nap and have pool time. My children never really napped well in a stroller. We did a monorail resort last time because we knew this would be a problem. What about a putting a towel over the stroller to block the light?

vettechick99
01-18-2010, 09:15 AM
We always do the nap-at-the-resort thing, but she is usually ready for a nap before we get there. Just wondering if there are any products people have had success with. Thanks!

Zeebs
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
We have one of these shade a babes, they can still see out (just) but it keeps the sun off. I used it when the kids were very little and napping over the summer, but we did also take it to Florida with us and found it very useful.

http://www.shade-a-babe.co.uk/

Whether you can get these in the USA or something similar I am not sure.

Our new baby is due at the begining of the summer so it will get used again this summer.

Kirsten

nexttrip4us
01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
We used different things, depending on the weather/temps, but what worked pretty well was a crib sheet--we were able to use the elastic to wrap around the stroller awning and then around the footrest.

Good luck!

mousebymarriage
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
My kids are past this age now but, when they were little we used a beach towel. It kept out the light but, still allowed air to circulate. To make it really dark you can use 2 beach towels.

tinkermom23
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
We brought our "Neat Sheet" to the park and it worked for covering during a nap. We actually brought it for sitting on during the parade or to cover the stroller in case of rain, but it worked for blocking out sun too.
I think you can still get one, it's blue and waterproof but cloth like material. We bought ours at Target a couple years ago.

badblackpug
01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I second the dark colored beach towell

rt2dz
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
We live in the deep south, so I have sun shades for the stroller. It darkens it inside, and also keeps it much cooler. I also use a foam blade clip-on stroller fan to keep air circulating and things cooler. Works really well.

PrincessAtta
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
but not necessarily a dark colored one, because it could attract the sun making it a bit hotter in the stroller. We always buy a fun beach towel shortly after getting to the park so it doubles as a souvenir. When you ride a ride, you can lay it long way across to keep the sun or rain off the seating area, keeping it cool and dry. It's also a good way to identify your stroller in the parking places.

Also, when the kids do nod off, we pull it off the top and wrap it around the backs of their necks to support their heads.

ParrotBill
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
We found that it was often too hot to cover the stroller. We had a stroller with a large sun cover, or added a clip on umbrella and positioned it over the rest.

That doesn't make it very dark, but we'd move to a quiet location, and with the heat and activity it was never a problem to get our baby to sleep some.

Another good option is to find a quiet bench and sit holdimg them till they fall asleep.

If it was still a problem, we headed back to the hotel.

kohlby
01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I carry baby in a sling and then the naps are in the stroller. I put the sling over the stroller and it keeps out the sights. It doesn't make it completely dark, but it helps a lot. (And it's a lot cooler than putting a poncho over it).

badblackpug
01-18-2010, 12:58 PM
but not necessarily a dark colored one, because it could attract the sun making it a bit hotter in the stroller. We always buy a fun beach towel shortly after getting to the park so it doubles as a souvenir. When you ride a ride, you can lay it long way across to keep the sun or rain off the seating area, keeping it cool and dry. It's also a good way to identify your stroller in the parking places.

Also, when the kids do nod off, we pull it off the top and wrap it around the backs of their necks to support their heads.

We don't go in the summer, so the heat isn't a problem, actually this year the COLD was the problem! :thumbsup2

CocozMom
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
We used the ray shade. Worked beautifully to dim the stroller and kept the kids out of the sun. Plus they both enjoyed the opportunity for some privacy if they wanted it. Plus it folds up with the stroller and was very sturdy.

PrincessAtta
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
We don't go in the summer, so the heat isn't a problem, actually this year the COLD was the problem! :thumbsup2

In which case it doubles as a blanket!!! :)

lisabor
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I second the Protect-a-bub. LOVED ours. Great for protecting from sun, light rain and bugs as well as keeping things dark and cozy for napping.

daisylove
01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Allison
We used the Ray shade which makes it pretty dark. If its summer time then we add a fan as well. Have fun! Congrats on the new chicklett!!

vettechick99
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
hey daisylove! long time no see. Thanks!!

daisylove
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Its beena while. Not to take you off topic but How have you guys been? Big news. my son is now almost 2. how old is schooner? The ray shade really is a god send for nap time. you can pull it all the way down in the front. Have fun at WDW. We leave on thursday. No princess this year but maybe for the new 5k in oct.