PDA

View Full Version : Advice on napping in stroller

DisneyEJT
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
We are renting the City Mini double stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals. It will be primarily for my 17 month old DS, with the other seat for the other 2 kids if they get tired. I'm worried about the 17 month old napping. The last time we went to a local park he was about 13 months. He was exhausted, and refused to nap. There was just too much going on around him that he was interested in. I had brought a towel to cover the stroller so that he wouldn't be able to see, but he just pulled it off.

Any advice on something I could use to cover him so that he'll go to sleep? It's going to be very difficult to tour if he doesn't nap at all...

Thanks!

ms_missy66
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
The City Mini Double is a cool stroller because the sun shade pulls down quite far in the front and the seat reclines fully, so there isn't much of a view. How long were you there last time? When we brought our girls when they were toddlers, we'd go maybe a day or two without a nap, and finally they'd give in. ...either that or sleep through dinner. LOL

Dannielle_1
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't have any advise on the actual stroller and what not, but it always helped my DS fall asleep if we were actually walking for an extended period. We would lay DS seat back and just start walking around World Showcase without stopping or at Magic Kingdom go to the other side of the park and then maybe back :goodvibes

If we sat down and didn't move, DS never fell asleep. He would want out to play or do something.

Ericandjenng
01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
My son's first trip was at 13 months old. Near naptime (and he's never been a good sleeper), we would go into an attraction that tended to be darker...Sounds Dangerous, Honey I Shrunk the Audience...something that he really would not be as interested in and with the dark, he would fall asleep and then we would come out and put in his stroller and hang a towel down over it and he would continue napping.

His next trips, we always have gone back to the room (yes, we stay on property) and had an afternoon break for napping and such. This is why we like Port Orleans, French Quarter and the Contemporary...they're quick to get to and get to your room.

Best of luck!

GoinToDisney
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
We had to walk in less crowded areas to get my LO to nap. Another idea is the Ergo baby carrier. She fell asleep faster when seh was all snuggled up in that.

DisneyEJT
01-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks so much for all the advice. I will definitely have to keep him moving to get him to sleep. He'll never go to sleep staying in one place. He's always fought sleep (hated the car as a newborn). When we took him to a local park (he's never been to Disney) at 13 months, I could tell he was so tired and so close to sleep, but he just wouldn't close his eyes.

I'm glad to hear that the stroller reclines so much and the sunshade works well. Hopefully that will block him off enough to go to sleep.

I guess eventually he'll have to get tired enough to sleep, right? :eek:

peemagg
01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Just a thought, but do you have a stroller at home that he could take his naps in now so that he is used to napping in it? I would do everything like you would do at Disney (ie: the towel, sitting still, or whatever you need to do to get him to sleep). This way when you get to Disney, he is used to this routine and maybe more apt to fall asleep.

I know when my niece and nephew were infants the stroller was the only way to get them to sleep sometimes. When we got to Disney it was just second nature to them and they would nap whenever they were ready. It was a very peaceful trip.

kbheap
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
If we ever have a problem where a child looks like they need a nap but they are fighting it, we go on a "favorite" ride. That is what we call them because they always work like magic. We have one in each park. MK-Transportation Authority, EP-Spaceship Earth, AK-train ride, HS-Backlot express(although this one generally has a long line and a long intro, it still does the trick).

DisneyEJT
01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is, we leave in less than 2 weeks, so not much time. Also, he can be difficult in general about sleeping. We've been putting him down for naps in the pack n play recently to try to get him used to that. He just really likes sleeping in his own crib. It's weird because he's a third, and has always been dragged around everywhere regardless of his schedule. So you'd think he'd be used to it. He's just a little stinker...

Luckily he copes pretty well without sleep, so hopefully he won't be too much of a mess!

Just a thought, but do you have a stroller at home that he could take his naps in now so that he is used to napping in it? I would do everything like you would do at Disney (ie: the towel, sitting still, or whatever you need to do to get him to sleep). This way when you get to Disney, he is used to this routine and maybe more apt to fall asleep.

I know when my niece and nephew were infants the stroller was the only way to get them to sleep sometimes. When we got to Disney it was just second nature to them and they would nap whenever they were ready. It was a very peaceful trip.

DisneyEJT
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Great ideas! He won't usually go to sleep while being held, but maybe these attractions will do the trick.

If we ever have a problem where a child looks like they need a nap but they are fighting it, we go on a "favorite" ride. That is what we call them because they always work like magic. We have one in each park. MK-Transportation Authority, EP-Spaceship Earth, AK-train ride, HS-Backlot express(although this one generally has a long line and a long intro, it still does the trick).