PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for in-room dinners ?

pooh2001
01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
We do not want to create a mess or fire in our room.
We fly down - so no car to carry extra 'stuff'.
We are taking a car service from MCO to the Dolphin which has a 30 minute food store stop - so we could pick up a few items before arriving at the resort.

I thought of cereal and fruit for dinner, if we do a large sit-down lunch (use that as our main meal).

Maybe tuna and fruit and crackers on the side for dinner ?

Other suggestions ?

Thank you for your culinary advice.

carj
01-15-2010, 09:47 PM
My kids think that all foods on a stick are interesting. You could make fruit Ka-bobs, cheese cube and summer sausage ka-bobs, etc... Pretty much the same foods as you mentioned, but putting them on a stick to make them more fun!

I don't like tuna so I wouldn't do that myself. I would do PB&J sandwiches, cereal, peanut butter with crackers, fruit.

You can also make your own ice cream using 2 different sizes of zip lock bags. All you need is rock salt, vanilla, sugar and whipping cream. This also has entertainment value!;)It takes about 5 minutes of shaking the bag to make the ice cream. I haven't done this on vacation but I do it with kids at school and with my own kids and it is fun and easy.

We also ordered 1 meal from counter service or the food court at our hotel, a lot of times to share. My kids eat next to nothing though, so that may not be an option for you.

I have found that they need to eat every 2-3 hours on vacation because they simply do not eat enough to make it on 3 meals a day. We do a lot of buying a meal and sharing it, not just for the saving $$ but it is such a waste to throw away all that food! Plus, I know I am going to need to "fill 'em up" again in a couple of hours.:goodvibes

disneymarie
01-15-2010, 11:04 PM
\
We are taking a car service from MCO to the Dolphin which has a 30 minute food store stop - so we could pick up a few items before arriving at the resort.

Thank you for your culinary advice.

Our first night we order papa johns, do a google search for a $2 coupon. They deliver, We have pizza, soda, chicken strips and ask for plates and napkins.

I pack a toaster. and hot water pot.
It is mainly getting the start on the day with a breakfast and few treats for the day. The other thing is getting back to the room and looking for late night hunger fillers.'

When We stop at Walmart, at the deli counter you can find premade wraps for $1,50, salads, I pick up the pddle noodles in the cup 3@ 1.00, OJ, soda, water, gal water to refill bottles. I take a small cooler or frozen bottle or two into the park to keep the Juice boxes and water cool. Cereal snack pack assort, or at home I found the ones in a single serve. Milk, The fresh fruit containers was a hit with the kids, Add grapes and few apples.

I pick up the welches type or any fruit chews, with the burst. Mini pretzles, ziplock sandwich and gal ones.

Aldi's or other chicken salad and tuna with the crackers. Bagels and bread for toast and jelly, tea bags, I pack some disposable bowls from home, or get at walmart. plastic ware, lysol wipes. Butter, Cream cheese whip spread, jelly and PB.

To clean up things, I get a sample size bottle of something and sponge to clean anything. At bed bath and beyond for about $5 I got a drain cloth for my Disney box.

I did through in a few plastic bowls and cups for the kids. I could heat up ravioli or other in it. We did not do too much warm stuff.

If you have a car, by DTD there is a mini mart and they make good sandwich. I think the Pizza was OK too. The wraps are so big that I have a salad or chips with it and half for another person or the next day.

This really got us through several days. I did like the cafateria at Values, the dinners are filling and very good, less the $10

Luv Bunnies
01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Assuming you'll have a fridge, I would do cheese and crackers or those little pre-made tuna kits. If you'll have a microwave, you can get some single-serve soups or canned meals like ravoli, spaghetti-o's or beef stew. You could pour it into stryofoam bowls or cups before heating. You could also do instant oatmeal or cold cereal. Depending on which store you go to, you might find pre-made sandwiches and deli salads (potato, macaroni, etc.). This is sounding like fun. Now I want to take a trip and have dinner in the room!:)

happymommy
01-16-2010, 05:42 AM
We have brought a hot pot, and I've used it to make ramen (my kids love) and macaroni and cheese (the Velveeta deluxe). Just be careful!

Also, you can pick up a loaf of bread and some goober grape for pb&j sandwiches, or also a pack of lunchmeat. I agree - cheese and grapes or other fruit too. Parmalat milk (or we use soy milk) in the quarts that don't go bad are nice - and you will have a fridge at the Dolphin.

The cafeteria Pikabu's has a nice chicken dinner that you may like if you want a big meal and not too expensive. It's a whole chicken with some sides - it is a lot of food, but I recall it wasn't very expensive. Much of their food is expensive, but I do remember getting some things with my kids there before.

One thing I do like about the Dolphin, is that a few times we are just tired out at night, so they had movies on demand, and you can stop it at the end, then rewind and watch again for 24 hours. Yes, it's about $13 or so, but at least they offer it! Helped a few times when we were tired, I let the kids get a movie and we snacked in the room, then they watched it again while eating breakfast and I got us going in the morning.

Also, the Dolphin does have kids menus on room service, and they were very reasonable, like $6 or so, and nice enough portions for me even (one night I got us 3 kids burgers for dinner, and it wasn't more than maybe $25 total).

You can also carry out from many places at Epcot - yes it's a walk but one night I was craving the veggie platter from Morocco counter service.

Definitely look into a little $10 hot pot - if you like the mac and cheese idea. Pack some plastic spoons and some bowls too.

I pack poptarts and granola bars in my luggage.

sarah4770
01-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Do you have AAA? Picabu will give you a 20% discount if you show your card.
We usually just get cheese, crackers, lunch meat, bread, bagels, cream cheese,chips., cereal and milk.. maybe some prepackaged veggies and dip or fruit bowl.... and end up throwing half of it away anyway....especially if you are eating a big meal at lunch....we find a sandwich just fine, especially in the heat.

DisMomme
01-16-2010, 08:37 AM
We brought a hot pot with us. We used it to boil water for coffee, oatmeal and hot cocoa. We also used it to make pasta and mac n cheese for dinner. Can also heat canned soup and other canned items in it.

pooh2001
01-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Very cool idea about the hot pot. Also never thought of pb&j 9we all do it except our DD). Mac & cheese (everyone eats it but DW).

I will look for a very inexpensive hot pot to make water for pasta, tea, coffee, and hot cocoa.

We do have AAA - and will try the chicken dinner one night.

I did not know Papa John's delivers to the Dolphin. I assume we meet the drive at the Dolphin entrance door and pay Papa John's delivery person there.
Going up in the elevator back to our room I am sure will bring some jealous eyes looking at the pizza box.

Thank you for all the great suggestions !

mommycrawford
01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
You might look at "heat and eat" meals that you just place in boiling water for a couple of minutes (hot pot required.) There are many indian ones, boil in bag rice, etc. This could accompany other things, if you like something other than all cold foods.

Mouse House Mama
01-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Something to keep in mind though is that a lot of the food options people have listed here are full of sodium. A few days of that and you are going to feel like garbage. Schedule the latest lunch sitting if you have to to save money but then at the very least get some healthy stuff in your room like fruit etc. Even a bowl of cereal is better than chef boy ardee. YMMV.

semo233
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Most groceries carry fried chicken or rotisserie chicken and you could eat it hot, cold, or make sandwiches. Veggie & dip tray, fruit tray and snack foods would keep us going for a few days.

mickeyfan1
01-16-2010, 04:41 PM

elf
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
We stayed at the Dolphin this past July and found the Chicken dinner at Pikabus. We paid $25 for a whole chicken and sides it was very good. Not cheap and salty. It was enough food for four of us plus the next day. I made chicken salad sandwiches from leftover chicken with mayo packets from pikabu, plus a chicken, stuffing sand. for dd. We bought our own drinks water, soda, juice which saves alot also.

pooh2001
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Not sure about a hot pot ideas - but I did look at the allears menus and found the Picabu's chicken dinner. Sounds like a great idea. I hope the plastic knives can cut through the chicken - or maybe in our checked suitcases, I will pack safely a kitchen small knife to cut things like the chicken from Picabu's.

I will also get some pb&j and bread at our food store stop.
We could always just add some fruit (also bought at the food store stop) and some soup, from Picabu's, to make a dinner.

I love these boards for money saving idea's.:thumbsup2

Deb & Bill
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The Disney WDW resorts don't permit toasters in the rooms unless they already come with them (like the DVC villas). So you won't want to bring a toaster.

Fly4free
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=disneymarie;35026448]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Our first night we order papa johns, do a google search for a $2 coupon. They deliver, We have pizza, soda, chicken strips and ask for plates and napkins.

The pizza delivery is a great idea. Does anyone know if you can get Dominos or Pappa Johns delivered to the Pop Century?

Melani
01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Our first night we order papa johns, do a google search for a $2 coupon. They deliver, We have pizza, soda, chicken strips and ask for plates and napkins.

I pack a toaster. and hot water pot.
It is mainly getting the start on the day with a breakfast and few treats for the day. The other thing is getting back to the room and looking for late night hunger fillers.'

When We stop at Walmart, at the deli counter you can find premade wraps for $1,50, salads, I pick up the pddle noodles in the cup 3@ 1.00, OJ, soda, water, gal water to refill bottles. I take a small cooler or frozen bottle or two into the park to keep the Juice boxes and water cool. Cereal snack pack assort, or at home I found the ones in a single serve. Milk, The fresh fruit containers was a hit with the kids, Add grapes and few apples.

I pick up the welches type or any fruit chews, with the burst. Mini pretzles, ziplock sandwich and gal ones.

Aldi's or other chicken salad and tuna with the crackers. Bagels and bread for toast and jelly, tea bags, I pack some disposable bowls from home, or get at walmart. plastic ware, lysol wipes. Butter, Cream cheese whip spread, jelly and PB.

To clean up things, I get a sample size bottle of something and sponge to clean anything. At bed bath and beyond for about $5 I got a drain cloth for my Disney box.

I did through in a few plastic bowls and cups for the kids. I could heat up ravioli or other in it. We did not do too much warm stuff.

If you have a car, by DTD there is a mini mart and they make good sandwich. I think the Pizza was OK too. The wraps are so big that I have a salad or chips with it and half for another person or the next day.

This really got us through several days. I did like the cafateria at Values, the dinners are filling and very good, less the $10

What is a drain cloth and what is a Disney box?

My kids thought the pizza from that gas station was "the best Christmas dinner ever!" Ssshh - don't tell Granny.:sad2:

windycitymom
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=pooh2001;35025403]
We fly down - so no car to carry extra 'stuff'.

QUOTE]

Can you please share the name/number of that car service? What did they charge you? Thank you.

Vickie46
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
We used a Toaster in our room .. once at WL and Saratoga... we forgot it when we left and Disney shipped it back home to us for free.. never heard that is wasn't allowed!

bamor
01-18-2010, 06:55 AM
OP,
May I suggest something?
We have in the past rented a car for one night through Alamo. Pickup at MCO drop off at the Dolphin (you give the cars to the valet).
With directions from allearsnet.com we stop at Super Target (styrofoam cooler for $2.99, toaster for $6.00, ziploc bags for ice, case of water, breakfast items, cereal, milk, bowl, spoons, napkins, fruit, nuts and crakcers....and you could get whatever else you were looking for for dinners).
Check www.mousesavers.com under the rental car page. Use the Alamo code 430710....then check the Alamo site for hot deals for a coupon code (one way rental, weekend rate, etc).
Doing this....our rental on a HTH was $27.00!!!! I am willing to bet that is cheaper than your car service and you'll be able to take your time at the market. Rates may be higher now, but give it a shot.
Just something to think about.

reducereuserecycle
01-18-2010, 07:42 AM
sorta off topic, but i heard Earl of a Sandwhich at DTD give a AAA discount and their prices aren't high so it is a good deal.

get lots of high-energy foods that are also filling like peanut butter and nuts.

also fruit, cheese and crackers, and sandwhiches as others have mentioned :thumbsup2

meggymouse
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure why you want to dinner in your room. It looks like you are planning on eating out some of the day. It might be easier to eat breakfast in the room and maybe pack a cooler of sandwiches for lunch and then eat out for dinner. Those 2 meal don't usually require heating things up. I have a small soft sided cooler that I pack when we go with snacks, and lunch. Works great becasue my kids are grazers and eat something every few hours.

dromio42
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
When we don't have a microwave, but do have a fridge, a 'nosh plate' is our favorite. Pretty much any thing that can be eaten on a craker or bread in bite size slices/pieces. For example: cheese/soy cheese, hard salami, olives, tuna/low fat mayo, rotissarie chicken, fruit slices (apple pear, orange, grapes), tomato slices, lettuce. Some sample of those items with crackers and/or a nice baguette. Then we sit and pick and munch and talk about how much our feet hurt from walking around the parks.....we have also had apples and peanut butter for a very quick dinner.