PDA

View Full Version : What should I do the first day we arrive?

lorihannahgwen
01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I am trying to decide what to do the first day we arrive at WDW. Our plane lands at 10:15am. I was anticipating arriving at Disney ~Noon. This is what I thought we would do, but not sure if it makes sense.
We would eat a quick service lunch at BLT. My girls (5 & 7) will probably be hungry. Then we were thinking of playing a round of mini golf (not sure which one yet. My husband likes golf). Then we would go to DTD to pick up our tickets for La Nouba (6pm show). We would eat a quick service at DTD before the show. We would watch the show then head back to BLT to go to bed. Does this sound like too much for the first day? Should we just swim until La Nouba?
Help.
Lori

disneylovin24
01-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I am trying to decide what to do the first day we arrive at WDW. Our plane lands at 10:15am. I was anticipating arriving at Disney ~Noon. This is what I thought we would do, but not sure if it makes sense.
We would eat a quick service lunch at BLT. My girls (5 & 7) will probably be hungry. Then we were thinking of playing a round of mini golf (not sure which one yet. My husband likes golf). Then we would go to DTD to pick up our tickets for La Nouba (6pm show). We would eat a quick service at DTD before the show. We would watch the show then head back to BLT to go to bed. Does this sound like too much for the first day? Should we just swim until La Nouba?
Help.
Lori

I think that sounds like a good plan:thumbsup2 Mini golfing is a relaxing activity and if your kids want to do it then do it. But, I wouldn't set any plans in stone. Just see how everyone feels when you get there. Maybe you'll want to just relax in the pool.

candielips
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
That sounds like a great 1st day. And like the PP said if you change your mind about mini golf, it's not something set in stone.
We also always spend our first night at DTD and our first meal for that matter too!

deerhart
01-15-2010, 09:34 PM
our first day plan, get there, get checked in and head to a park (we have 6:20 reservations for Teppon Edo) Since we are at BC we will probably go to Epcot and explore that resort area (I so want to hit boardwalk at night)

AirGoofy
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
We always take it real easy on our 1st day to WDW. We usually check into the resort and go to the pool. We will have a dinner reservation early in the evening. If we get there real early in the morning we may go to DTD or just something relaxing at the resort.

MamaOfTwoPrincesses
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I think that sounds great!

We like to take our first day to explore the resort, maybe have a swim, and then kick off our trip with an early dinner at Chef Mickey's. The girls always have fun meeting the big characters right off the bat, and we try to get to sleep early so we'll be ready for rope drop the next day!

Jareds_mommy
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
the first time we were there it took 2 hours to get on a magical express
the next time we got on with in an hour
so be prepared to be fluid on that too

joandegennaro
01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
When flying into MCO remember that there is always a chance of delays.

Last trip we took showed me the error of my pre planning ways. We had a 5 hr delay out of Toronto. Problem with plane and it had to be taken out of service, then had to wait for another plane to arrive from BC. It arrived within the 1 hr cut off for the flight crew. Had it been delayed for 1 hr we would have had to wait for another crew or the next day:scared1:

I suggest to anyone to plan little for the arrival day. Wing it as they say. Plan activities that won't matter if your delayed.

MrsGoofyMitchell
01-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I think that sounds like a great plan!
We usually check in, explore the resort and then head to Downtown Disney.

GRUMPY D
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
first do the online check in befor you leve ( can do upto 10 days befor check in ) it speeds up check in , and rember room check in is at 4 pm so your room may not be ready till then and ME takes up to 4 hours to deliver your luggage to your room so you might want to pack your swim suit in your carry on

lorihannahgwen
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you all for your advice.
If we go mini golfing, which one should we do? I was thinking of doing Winter Summerland because it seems the easiest to get to (just take the Blizzard Beach bus). What do you think?
Lori

ksumn1
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I think it sounds like a good pla. We alway drive dowm the day before and get a cheap hotel somewhere nearby. We head to the resort aruond 7 am, check in, get our KTTK, leave our bags and hit the park. We come back after luch, kids and DH swim while I unpack. Then we all swim, head to dinner @ Chef Mickey's, watch the firewors, then head back to the resort.

So your day sounds very relaxing to us!!!
IDK about which minigolf to do. we always intend to go one day, but never quite get around to it. :confused3

fireflymedic
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I plan to get to Disney a little later than you probly late afternoon. Staying in OKW so we will take the boat to DTD ride the hot air ballon and eat at the Dinaser resteraunt. Than walk around and look at things as we have never been to DTD.

deerhart
01-16-2010, 09:14 PM
When flying into MCO remember that there is always a chance of delays.

Last trip we took showed me the error of my pre planning ways. We had a 5 hr delay out of Toronto. Problem with plane and it had to be taken out of service, then had to wait for another plane to arrive from BC. It arrived within the 1 hr cut off for the flight crew. Had it been delayed for 1 hr we would have had to wait for another crew or the next day:scared1:

I suggest to anyone to plan little for the arrival day. Wing it as they say. Plan activities that won't matter if your delayed.

That is why we always try to fly out on one of the first few flights in the morning. Less chance for delay and even if we get a few hours delay the day is still salvageable.

disneydreamingdebby
01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Your 5 and 7 year old will probably do better to just swim until DTD. If you go mini-golfing, it is more travelling. I just think it will be less stressful for all of you especially since you have a evening event.

buzzmom3
01-17-2010, 08:06 AM
We always hit a park on our arrival day. I tried a relaxing arrival day one year and it just didn't work for my kids. We were in Disney and they wanted to hit the parks! SO that's what I plan on now.

mdsouth
01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
We always take it real easy on our 1st day to WDW. We usually check into the resort and go to the pool. We will have a dinner reservation early in the evening. If we get there real early in the morning we may go to DTD or just something relaxing at the resort.

This past trip, June 2009, my plan was to do exactly as the above poster. We arrived around 9:30 at the airport and got to our resort, CSR around 10:30 AM. I did the online check-in and boy was I glad. I was first in line and next to be checked in. Everyone else that rode the Magic Express bus with us had to get into the regular check-in line, which was already long.
So, definitely use use online check-in!:thumbsup2

Our room was not ready. I figured it wouldn't be, but we planned to have lunch by the pool and just swim. Well, when we were in line to check in, it started to pour rain. I mean, a downpour and one that does not look like it will let up. So, our plans for a relaxing afternoon by the pool was ruined. :eek:

My family was hungry, but the restaurants in the resort were really busy with everyone rushing inside from the rain. I got them some chips to tide them over, checked our bags, and away we went to the Magic Kingdom. I thought we would get lunch at Casey's in MK.

I figured we would go ahead and check out MK and make the best of the rainy day. It worked. :cool2: The only thing I would have done differently, is we would have gone ahead and eaten at the resort - before jumping on the bus to MK.

kristinw3girls
01-17-2010, 10:59 AM
We've learned the hard way that less is best. I always plan on hanging at the resort and having a nice early dinner on arrival day. Then I usually get caught up and plan too much. Remember that your flight may arrive early, but your day probably will start around 4am. It's a long day and your kids may be better off if you just swim, have a relaxing dinner then your show. You may want to even plan a nap in there too! Have a great trip, and make sure the 2nd day is fun for all. You won't want everyone exhausted by day 2.:)

musclemouse
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes, good plan. Getting there is exhausting, lol. Save up that energy for the parks. On our trip there in Dec 08, we arrived at 11:45pm! We knew we weren't going to get a good night sleep so we planned on DTD the next day. It worked for us.

Ceila
01-17-2010, 12:22 PM
If your plane lands at 10:15, I imagine you're going to be getting up pretty early to get to the airport. From experience, I can tell you that getting up extra early can make everyone exhausted.

My suggestion would be to get to the resort, grab some lunch, then swim or take naps. (Even if they don't sleep, just making them rest in their beds for a little while is good.) Then head over to DTD, get the tix, have some dinner, then go to the show.

lorihannahgwen
01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for replying. :worship: It seems like the concensus says to take it easy by the pool then go to the show (of course we would eat too). Maybe we will save the mini-golf for our last day there (we leave at 7:55pm).
Thanks again. :thumbsup2
Lori

only 6 months and 1 day! :banana: