PDA

View Full Version : The DW KidsMeals suck

JustAGirl
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I went to allears.net to check out the kids meals and they are all the same . My kids will eventually get tired of a week full of hamburgers, pizza and nuggets . They should atleast add some normal items like meatloaf and roasted turkey with mashed potatoes.....This is DW and they have such a limited menu ?? Needless to say I got the QS plan and were gonna have alot of kids meals credits leftover because ill have to buy another adult meals out of pocket ...and i saw a pic of some of the complete kids meals they have at the restaurants and the grilled chicken , macaroni with sauce and cheese looked gross very bland looking.

JennHales
01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
ITA!!!

I will never understand why a restaurant can't just make a Kid size portion of everything on their menu.

When we eat out my kids always order off the adult menu then split it.
Jen

ms_missy66
01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I think you'll be more satisified than you think when you get there. Yeah, there are several locations with the typical kid fare, but others have more choices - especially Epcot's World Showcase.

I kind of think, for WDW, that this is a no-win situation. If they make the kid menu too adultish, folks complain that there's nothing typical for their cild to eat. If they offer several childish choices, folks complain it's the same old crap.

Cedarmom
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Some suggestions:

Casey's. They have no kid's menu so the kiddos can order whatever they want. I highly recommend the corndog nuggets. :)

Earl of Sandwich (in downtown disney). They have a kid's menu but we were told the kiddos could order whatever they wanted both times we ate there.

Pizza planet (in HS). Yes, pizza, but my kids thought it was very good. :)

We also tended to get the uncrustables a lot. They really, really like pbjs. ;)

We did a lot of buffets on the regular dining plan to avoid the problem, but it would have been fine on the QS plan as well with some planning. :)

deerhart
01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
there are no kid's meal counter service credits on your dining plan. All the counter service credits are one big giant pile. Therefore, your kids can order off either the adult or kid's menu.

Both my kid's ordered off the adult or kids menu for our CS meals (they are both under 9) at will and we had no problems. I know other people have done this before as well.

WDWjen
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I am leaving in 10 days - this will help me out with my son who is 8 and eats like he is 18! I was under the impression that kids 9 and under had to order from the kids menu?

Now that i think about it, usually at counter service we sit with the kids and get a table and one of the adults (usually my dh) goes up to the counter to order. So he could order anything??

deerhart
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
yup the only place you HAVE to order off the kids menu is sit down service tables. At qs and buffets kids can eat whatever they want.

I expect both my kids will order qs off the adult menu this year for the desserts!

Ava
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
popcorn::

mybabesuz
01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
At a lot of the TS restaurants you can request kids size portions of meals.
Of course there are the buffets...
Don't forget after 9 kids are considered adults at Disney...
We have NEVER been told that the kids couldn't get something they asked for.
CS menus however are limited but you can find more if you know where to look.
Pizza, chicken nuggets, baked chicken, PB&J, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Mac n Cheese, Salad with chicken, pasta, make your own subs and sweet and sour chicken, Fries...
Is there something you are looking for in particular?

mybabesuz
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I am leaving in 10 days - this will help me out with my son who is 8 and eats like he is 18! I was under the impression that kids 9 and under had to order from the kids menu?

Now that i think about it, usually at counter service we sit with the kids and get a table and one of the adults (usually my dh) goes up to the counter to order. So he could order anything??

Just a heads up to you...;)
If your KTW card says 2 Adults and 2 Children they will not let you get 3 or 4 adult meals at one time.
You and DH can each get in a line and each get 2 adult meals but not all at the same time...:duck::duck::duck:
:rolleyes:

deerhart
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Our key to the world said 2 adult 2 kids and we ordered 4 adult meals all at once last year. We also ordered 3 adult and 1 kid, 2 adult 2 kid, etc...

ms_missy66
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Last year as in 2008? I ask because there were no restrictions on QS kids meals until 2009. Now there are, most definitely, restrictions. You have equal number of kids meals and adult meals, except in cases where the QS has no kid options. Hope that helps.

Again OP, I'm betting you'll be fine.

mybabesuz
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I have heard that they are getting stricter about it.
Some CMs won't let you do it anymore.

deerhart
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Last year as in 2008? I ask because there were no restrictions on QS kids meals until 2009. Now there are, most definitely, restrictions. You have equal number of kids meals and adult meals, except in cases where the QS has no kid options. Hope that helps.

Again OP, I'm betting you'll be fine.

no last year as in August 2009.

Mouse House Mama
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
ITA!!!

I will never understand why a restaurant can't just make a Kid size portion of everything on their menu.

When we eat out my kids always order off the adult menu then split it.
Jen

Thank you!!!!!!! We always say this! Chicken nuggets are nice once in while for lunch but my kids like regular food. I don't know why they don't just offer smaller portions either.

ncmickeyluvr
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm really, really, really not trying to stir up controversy....but let me tell you my experience. DS does not eat like a normal 7 yr old...he would never eat normal DW "kid" fare. Last year was the first time we used the dining plan. The first day, I asked a CM at a cs place if there was any way ds could get a small portion of the adult offering. The CM TOLD ME TO ORDER HIM WHATEVER HE WANTED. I didn't try and cheat the system....I just did what the employee told me to. The next day, I again explained to the CM ...at a different place... our situation and was told to do the same thing. All week we did the same thing and only 1 time were we told no.....and that time I ate the kids meal and gave mine to ds. I never tried to "cheat" the system....Disney's awesome customer service came through and saved the day....that's not wrong IMHO.

Btw...I predicted we would have problems with ts and made adr's at only buffet/table service so it wouldn't be an issue.

This year it won't matter because dd is 10 and will ONLY order off of the kid's menu.

bumbershoot
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I would dump the meal plan in your situation. Since ordering adult meals is actually not part of the plan (as evidenced by the threads on the dining board that are shut down when conversations about it are started, b/c it's against disney rules), you cannot bet that you'll be able to do that. So if the kids like food that is found on the non-kid's meals menus, just cancel the dining plan and pay OOP for everyone. People can share and no one will be forced to eat food they don't want to eat.

brockash
01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm really, really, really not trying to stir up controversy....but let me tell you my experience. DS does not eat like a normal 7 yr old...he would never eat normal DW "kid" fare. Last year was the first time we used the dining plan. The first day, I asked a CM at a cs place if there was any way ds could get a small portion of the adult offering. The CM TOLD ME TO ORDER HIM WHATEVER HE WANTED. I didn't try and cheat the system....I just did what the employee told me to. The next day, I again explained to the CM ...at a different place... our situation and was told to do the same thing. All week we did the same thing and only 1 time were we told no.....and that time I ate the kids meal and gave mine to ds. I never tried to "cheat" the system....Disney's awesome customer service came through and saved the day....that's not wrong IMHO.

Btw...I predicted we would have problems with ts and made adr's at only buffet/table service so it wouldn't be an issue.

This year it won't matter because dd is 10 and will ONLY order off of the kid's menu.

I had this same exact situation last year (Sept. 2009) only we were never told no. I never asked at the TS places, because we did a lot of buffets and it was never an issue, but we did this at at least 70% of the cs places and each time the CM's told us to order whatever meal we wanted.

waltsgirl
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
We were just there in Dec 2009 and had 4 adults and 2 children on the meal plan and showing on our cards. We had no issues ordering only adult meals anywhere we went.

Zeebs
01-15-2010, 06:46 AM
You think they are bad at WDW you should try Disneyland Paris, I was looking at the menus there and at one of the places, where it is mainly mexican food. The kids choice is a hot dog or a sandwhich???????

I agree offer a half portion for half the price it can't be that hard to do.

We ate mainly at buffets on our visit as then the kids could eat normally.

I know the kids are on holiday and my kids will eat fries until the cows come home if you let them. But they also like vege, pasta with something on it other than butter, rice they love rice.

From memory we had quite a nice meal at Coral reef it was fish which was liked by the kids.

Kirsten

sperk99
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Go to the Land Pavilion and eat a meal there...tons of choices for kids!!! All healthy too!

Some other spots we like are: Carribean Beach Resort, Tomorrowland big counter service place, Casey's Corner, Boma!!!, The Mara

Mouse House Mama
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
The meal my kids loved the most was California Grill. They actually got real food! One of my dd's was in heaven because her app. was a big dish of nice fruit instead of some grapes or dried out fruit salad. The kids had steak and salmon. They even tried the Ostrich that my dh ordered. I don't understand why they think kids should eat junk all week long or dried out grilled chicken.:confused3

WantToGoNow
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Honestly, the CM's don't care in most cases. Technicially, you can only order the number of adult meals shown on your card but I don't even know if the CM's even look at that - as long as there are enough credits, they'll run it through. My ds8 ate adults meals 7 out of 8 meals during our trip - we ate at Electric Umbrella, Flame Tree BBQ, Cosmic Rays, Pizza Planet, Pizzafari, and the POR food court 3x. He did have a kids' meal turkey sub at Sunshine Seasons.

brymolmom
01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
If you look - you can do it with limited nuggets....

The food courts at the resorts have a LOT of kids meal variety - pasta, sandwiches, stir fry, etc.

Breakfasts have a lot of variety for kids.

Try someplace like Main St. Bakery - no kids menu so can get a 'regular' meal.

And then we split some adult meals and use the kids ones when we're at the resort and DTD and Sunshine Seasons and World Showcase.

That way my kids end up eating the 'regular' fare only a couple times on the trip.

It CAN be done.

I never really get people who complain about this - look at the PRICE of the kids plan, honestly, what foods do you think you can do for a whole day for that tiny price? Of course it has to be limited and cheap.

Jareds_mommy
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
we just paid the difference and upped DS (8) to a 10 year old it solved all our problems about meals
We had booked the trip with DS at 8 then called back and told the CM that we were looking at the menus and realized it wouldn't work for DS and could we do that
and he said not a problem

KateMW
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
If you look - you can do it with limited nuggets....

I never really get people who complain about this - look at the PRICE of the kids plan, honestly, what foods do you think you can do for a whole day for that tiny price? Of course it has to be limited and cheap.

I rather pay more then have to serve that crap to my child. I don't do it at home, why in the world would it do it on vacation. I guess since the masses would complain that Jr. wants nuggets and fries if they weren't there, the people who actually taught their children to eat good food get shafted.

Mrs. Charming
01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree... DD2 didn't touch the "kid" items we ordered for her, but ate off our plates instead. Thank goodness for buffets, seriously. I never even thought to ask about a smaller portion of an adult meal, oh well.. next time!

Zeebs
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I rather pay more then have to serve that crap to my child. I don't do it at home, why in the world would it do it on vacation. I guess since the masses would complain that Jr. wants nuggets and fries if they weren't there, the people who actually taught their children to eat good food get shafted.

My kids eat crap will fully admit to that, but not for 7 - 14 day straight.

Give people the choice is all most of us ask.

We didn't do the dining plan so I don't know how it works, but in a lot of places we just paid more for a better meal. Some days they had fries and burger (usually only ate the fries) and some days they shared a nice adult meal.

Worst meal was some terrible dinosaur shaped mushed up stuff (think it was suppose to be chicken) at T-Rex, kids took one look/mouthful and that was it. They were terrible though.

Kirsten

mom of princessx2
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
You think they are bad at WDW you should try Disneyland Paris,

Someday I would like to have to deal with that problem!!! :thumbsup2

KateMW
01-15-2010, 11:51 AM

We didn't do the dining plan so I don't know how it works, but in a lot of places we just paid more for a better meal. Some days they had fries and burger (usually only ate the fries) and some days they shared a nice adult meal.

Worst meal was some terrible dinosaur shaped mushed up stuff (think it was suppose to be chicken) at T-Rex, kids took one look/mouthful and that was it. They were terrible though.

Kirsten

Oh my daughter is by no means a super healthy eater! :) The girl LOVES a potato chip! She also loved Chik-Fil-A, though that's the only nuggets we do. I just don't get how they can serve the same thing every meal, every day, every restaurant. I'm stuck in between a daughter with grown up taste and an aunt who hates buffets. Oh well, I'm sure she won't go hungry. 4 apps and 4 entrees will make for more then enough leftovers for her.

Zeebs
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh my daughter is by no means a super healthy eater! :) The girl LOVES a potato chip! She also loved Chik-Fil-A, though that's the only nuggets we do. I just don't get how they can serve the same thing every meal, every day, every restaurant. I'm stuck in between a daughter with grown up taste and an aunt who hates buffets. Oh well, I'm sure she won't go hungry. 4 apps and 4 entrees will make for more then enough leftovers for her.

Totally agree with you. I think "most" people feed their kids a mixture but unfortunately it seems to be that the only ones catered for are the ones where little jimmy only eats chicken nuggets or fried food. There were places at WDW where we did find the odd meal that offered something different but we found they were few and far between.

I also don't get this what can you expect for the prices deal as they prices are more expensive than you pay just about anywhere else so for the extra money I would expect some better choices.

Kirsten

cam&phoebsmom
01-15-2010, 12:12 PM
My kids are the same way. A plate of chicken nuggets or an Uncrustable is okay every once in a while-but my kids like "real" food.

We looked at menus carefully before choosing where to eat and getting the dining plan. I think of our TS credits there are only 2 out of 7 places where they have more typical "kids fare" vs. given a choice about what to eat.

My DS is most excited about Whispering canyon an O'hana's b/c of the ribs and shrimp, LOL. Oh-and he chose Le Cellier because he wanted to try the cheese soup.:laughing:

I think if you look around at the menus you can find some places that fit your family's needs.

syudelson
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Here's another vote for dumping the dining plan. My kids don't like the typical kid fare and have pretty simple wants - they like ordering off the appetizer and dessert menu (for example a fruit/yogurt parfait from the dessert menu and veggie sticks, soup etc from the appetizers). Makes for easier and healthier meals.

princessmom29
01-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a real food kid here, and on our Nov. trip I inadvertently found out that all counter service credits are the same. I ordered 3 adult meals at Cosmic Ray's b/c DD was sick of the kids menu, with the intention of just paying oop later for one of mine or DH's meals. I never had to b/c the credits are not seperated, so it only showed that I had used 3 credits for 3 meals. The card you pay with only has one person's name on it, so unless it shows them on the computer screen how many adults and children are on the ressie they have no way of knowing. As I understand it they only see how many credits are remaining on the plan. We alos ate several places that didn't have a kids menu, which was a great option as well.

dancin Disney style
01-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm another one that thinks the choices for kids are lacking. I do agree that there are other options open to them from the kids menus but you really need to know where to find them. The majority is nuggets, pizza etc. Even the options that are available as sides for a kids meal are not always presented openly.

On our last trip I listed my DD as being 10yo so that she could have the choice of either the adult menu or kids. I would say about 50% of the time she took the adult meal. She certainly is not a big eater but she noticed on the previous trip that the kids meals were boring. There were many times that I would eat her kids meal and she would have mine.

Just a litttle funny....on our first onsite, total WDW vacation my DD who was 5 at the time ate chicken strips 8 nights in a row. I think on the third day I protested but my DH said...'we're on vacation, let her have what she wants'.

Nancyg56
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM

The OP could have chosen the regular dining plan and her child would have a lot of choices for meals. Before anyone purchases any dining plan I would think a little research is in order. Look at teh menus adn determine if there are choices that justify the cost of the plan. In her case I would run the numbers to see if what I am paying for the child would be covered during the time I was in Disney. No one is getting shafted, guests have a choice to purchase or not.

Kirsten
Disney cannot win. A few years ago there was no QS plan and all you read was that folks wanted that option. Now there are several options for people to choose from and still there are complaints. Dining plans do not work for everyone, folks should check out the cost vs the value to them and then make a purchase. There are plenty of options on the regular DDP for children and still there are complaints.

Totally agree with you. I think "most" people feed their kids a mixture but unfortunately it seems to be that the only ones catered for are the ones where little jimmy only eats chicken nuggets or fried food. There were places at WDW where we did find the odd meal that offered something different but we found they were few and far between.

I also don't get this what can you expect for the prices deal as they prices are more expensive than you pay just about anywhere else so for the extra money I would expect some better choices.

Kirsten

We took my DGD and her friend to Six Flags NE this summer and I won't go intot eh cost of food and drinks there. We paid a fortune for lousy food and tossed most of it out. The girls hated it.

Zeebs
01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
The OP could have chosen the regular dining plan and her child would have a lot of choices for meals. Before anyone purchases any dining plan I would think a little research is in order. Look at teh menus adn determine if there are choices that justify the cost of the plan. In her case I would run the numbers to see if what I am paying for the child would be covered during the time I was in Disney. No one is getting shafted, guests have a choice to purchase or not.

Disney cannot win. A few years ago there was no QS plan and all you read was that folks wanted that option. Now there are several options for people to choose from and still there are complaints. Dining plans do not work for everyone, folks should check out the cost vs the value to them and then make a purchase. There are plenty of options on the regular DDP for children and still there are complaints.

I certainly wasn't commenting on the dining plan as we never did it I imagine it works for some but not others. My comments are soley on the types of food they offer in their kids meals. It is just a complete waste to have to purchase a full sized adult meal to feed my child knowing full well that he won't eat it all but doesn't like the options available for kids. It is better now we have two children as we can just buy an adult meal and split it but that will change when the youngest gets more vocal on what he wants to eat when out and about.

We took my DGD and her friend to Six Flags NE this summer and I won't go intot eh cost of food and drinks there. We paid a fortune for lousy food and tossed most of it out. The girls hated it.

Agreed most theme parks cost a lot for the same lousy food. I guess the difference is that most people go to places like Six Flags as a one off day trip and don't mind a fast food, over fried type meal. But at WDW most people go for a number of days and as I have said previously my kids don't mind the odd meal of fried stuff no vege but not every day for 7-14 days. (although they would eat fries every meal if you let them LOL)

My comments in the red.

You are right with saying Disney can't win as there will always be someone who complains, which is why I suggest the keep the kids meals as is, and offer half meals at half prices for it won't keep everyone happy but it will hit a bigger majority than what the do now.

Kirsten

Mouse House Mama
01-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Kirsten

I agree. I also wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for the DDP to get my kids real food. We do a lot of buffets because of the characters but the sit down meals always have horrible choices for the kids. We ate at the Yacht Club last trip and all my kids had crab cakes etc. They like real food. I don't feed them pizza, nuggets, mac and cheese, and hotdogs every day of their life. Do they eat that stuff? Yeah, occassionally. Would I feed it to them everyday? Never. Heck, they don't want to eat it all the time. One of my children's favorite foods is lobster!:laughing:

Zeebs
01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
I agree. I also wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for the DDP to get my kids real food. We do a lot of buffets because of the characters but the sit down meals always have horrible choices for the kids. We ate at the Yacht Club last trip and all my kids had crab cakes etc. They like real food. I don't feed them pizza, nuggets, mac and cheese, and hotdogs every day of their life. Do they eat that stuff? Yeah, occassionally. Would I feed it to them everyday? Never. Heck, they don't want to eat it all the time. One of my children's favorite foods is lobster!:laughing:

Your kids rock.... mmmm lobster. I get told my kids have expensive tastes all the time Cullen took smoked salmon sandwiches to nursery the other day, the teachers were very jealous.

Kirsten

princessmom29
01-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Your kids rock.... mmmm lobster. I get told my kids have expensive tastes all the time Cullen took smoked salmon sandwhiches to nursery the other day, the teachers were very jealous.

Kirsten

My DD6 likes the smoked samon on toast with goat cheese!

FlightlessDuck
01-15-2010, 02:09 PM
there are no kid's meal counter service credits on your dining plan. All the counter service credits are one big giant pile. Therefore, your kids can order off either the adult or kid's menu.

Oh...no...:surfweb: popcorn:: :surfweb:

Nancyg56
01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
[quote=Zeebs;35020249]Agreed most theme parks cost a lot for the same lousy food. I guess the difference is that most people go to places like Six Flags as a one off day trip and don't mind a fast food, over fried type meal. But at WDW most people go for a number of days and as I have said previously my kids don't mind the odd meal of fried stuff no vege but not every day for 7-14 days. (although they would eat fries every meal if you let them LOL)

My comments in the red.

You are right with saying Disney can't win as there will always be someone who complains, which is why I suggest the keep the kids meals as is, and offer half meals at half prices for it won't keep everyone happy but it will hit a bigger majority than what the do now.

Kirsten[/quote

My DGD likes real food too and we have no problem ordering a adult meal if there are no children's options that she likes. Not just at WDW but anywhere. I found thta in most of the resort restaurants there were enough options to keep her happy.

Disneylvr
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM
we just paid the difference and upped DS (8) to a 10 year old it solved all our problems about meals
We had booked the trip with DS at 8 then called back and told the CM that we were looking at the menus and realized it wouldn't work for DS and could we do that
and he said not a problem

If you do that don't you then have to pay adult price for park tickets if you are buying a package?

MommytoaSweetie
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Honestly, I think a lot of restaurants have this issue... kid's meals are often made for the "picky eater" kid. I get why they do it, but I do wish they offered some other choices, too (and of course, some do). Our DD's are fine with us ordering healthier options for them, but it's tough that restaurants often package "kids meals" with a toy or in a special plate (like the Mickey trays at WDW), so of course they're drawn to that. We also try to be as healthy as possible with our kids, and when we do go out to a place like McDonalds, our DD loves getting the fruit & yogurt parfait and the apple dippers instead of a Happy Meal, but that means no toy or fun little box thing... she hasn't noticed why that is yet, but it's annoying that she will one day, and I appreciate her current food choices! We're on the dining plan this time, but neither of our girls are because they're not old enough quite yet, so we'll be paying OOP for them which works out well for this situation - we can order them a kid's meal if they want and it looks good, or we can just order some extra sides or fruit cups or whatever and share. I appreciate some of the steps Disney is taking overall to create healthier food choices, and I do hope they'll continue to improve kid's meals.

happymommy
01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Go to the Land Pavilion and eat a meal there...tons of choices for kids!!! All healthy too!

I had forgotten about that place! My kids had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and a veggie, and one time the lo mein noodles and some stir fry. There are tons of options there!!!

Kat77
01-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Some other spots we like are: Carribean Beach Resort, Tomorrowland big counter service place, Casey's Corner, Boma!!!, The Mara

I had forgotten about that place! My kids had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and a veggie, and one time the lo mein noodles and some stir fry. There are tons of options there!!!

Land Pavilion is great idea. Hurray for veggies!

The Lo Mein was unexpectly gross the last time we tried it (somewhere in MGM). If a kid says something tastes off plz try a bite b/c I've seen so many people ignore their kiddos when they complain about kid meals.

Jareds_mommy
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
If you do that don't you then have to pay adult price for park tickets if you are buying a package?

yes but it was only $31 or something I would have paid more then that OOP to subsidize him with other things
and he was way more happier eating ribs and steaks then he ever would be disney hotdogs
he would pick ceaser salad and sushi over nuggets and crap any meal he hates McD and places like that on a good I can't imagine making him eat it for the 10 days that we go

brymolmom
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM

That's an option too - no need to do the dining plan as it doesn't work for everyone. Just pay OOP and then you CAN pay a few dollars more to get your kids whatever is right for your family. OR, from what I understand, you can pay to upgrade your child to an adult and do it that way. Both ways you're paying more and get more options.

However, given the suggestions I gave - no NEED to do that if you don't want to. It is entirely possible, as I have done it - NOT to have 'that crap' for the kids meals if you work it right.

Mouse House Mama
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
That's an option too - no need to do the dining plan as it doesn't work for everyone. Just pay OOP and then you CAN pay a few dollars more to get your kids whatever is right for your family. OR, from what I understand, you can pay to upgrade your child to an adult and do it that way. Both ways you're paying more and get more options.

However, given the suggestions I gave - no NEED to do that if you don't want to. It is entirely possible, as I have done it - NOT to have 'that crap' for the kids meals if you work it right.

Here's the thing though, my child is not going to eat an entire adult meal. While I don't mind paying extra for them to eat well, why should I have to buy a giant meal for a child? I don't understand why they can't offer half portions. Even as an adult that would appeal to me because maybe I would try two different options.

brymolmom
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Here's the thing though, my child is not going to eat an entire adult meal. While I don't mind paying extra for them to eat well, why should I have to buy a giant meal for a child? I don't understand why they can't offer half portions. Even as an adult that would appeal to me because maybe I would try two different options.

Likely something to do with the hundreds of thousands of people they serve, or something similar. Smaller containers...same prep per plate but more plates....More options in different sizes likely would lead to more mistakes on orders - more food thrown out...Those are reasons I can think of off the top of my head. NOW, one thing I could see is them coming up with an entire CS restaurant dedicated to smaller portions or something - 4 or 5 options, typically an 'adult' menu, but smaller portions. Likely would end up about the same price as the larger ones though, so people would still complain and would likely forego it and just buy the bigger ones for $1.00 more. So I guess it wouldn't work as a lot of people wouldn't opt for same $$ for less food scenario.

There are sides that are smaller, and things can be shared. Buffets are perfect for this - anything you want in any quantitiy you desire. So I suggest lots and lots of buffets.

We tend to do fine by just sharing to get smaller portions...Get an extra side or dessert when needed or wanted. Works out great!

Mouse House Mama
01-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Likely something to do with the hundreds of thousands of people they serve, or something similar. Smaller containers...same prep per plate but more plates....More options in different sizes likely would lead to more mistakes on orders - more food thrown out...Those are reasons I can think of off the top of my head. NOW, one thing I could see is them coming up with an entire CS restaurant dedicated to smaller portions or something - 4 or 5 options, typically an 'adult' menu, but smaller portions. Likely would end up about the same price as the larger ones though, so people would still complain and would likely forego it and just buy the bigger ones for $1.00 more. So I guess it wouldn't work as a lot of people wouldn't opt for same $$ for less food scenario.

There are sides that are smaller, and things can be shared. Buffets are perfect for this - anything you want in any quantitiy you desire. So I suggest lots and lots of buffets.

We tend to do fine by just sharing to get smaller portions...Get an extra side or dessert when needed or wanted. Works out great!

I can see what you are saying. We do a few buffets because we want to do character meals but I have to be honest, I would rather be served once in a while instead of getting up and down 90 times during a meal. As for sharing, well, we do that at times but we have 4 kids (soon to be 5) so sharing can be a bit of a problem sometimes as not everyone wants the same food. I agree though that you don't have to do the dining plan and we don't always do it but it just stinks that the only way your child can eat a decent meal is by going to signature restaurants or buffets. Charge a dollar or two more for the kids and have a better selection.

deerhart
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
FYI the cheddar soup is one of the app choices for kids at Le Cellier. My kids loved it. We also had to get them miso soup when we ate in japan!

JUJU814
01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I totally agree...I was appalled by the kids menus! Very limited.

Nancyg56
01-16-2010, 09:34 AM
When we did the DDP my DGD ate well. We looked over the menus before we made ADR's and included her taste in our choices. She ate chicken and steak and pork on the plan and this was not at all signature dining restaurants.

The DDP will not be an option for everyone, the children's menu is just one of the discussions that has benn ongoing since I joined the DIS. Some folks wanted cheaper options and now they are here. Some folks hated the fact that an appetizer and gratuity were included in the plan...not neither is. Some folks kicked about not having healthy choices ont eh kids menu...her they are. Some folks wanted to be able to have a QS only option and we have it. Still the plans will not make everyone happy.

Wendy5055
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I totally agree about the kids meals. My dd8 was sick of eating the kids meal food. Truth is that she does not get "kids fare" at home so it is difficult to expect her to get it on vacation (she eats what is served to everyone...special "kid" meals were never our thing). She is used to eating items like calamari, muscles, salmon, cod, scrod, steak and chicken. She rarely (if ever) eats chicken nuggets and hasn't since she was about 3 years old! The desserts are just plain outright boring...and I always gave her a part of my "Celebration" dessert not to mentioin ordering meals she would like and sharing them with her.

Buffets were better because she can eat the adult fare.

WDW just needs to re-think the childrens' menu.

deerhart
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I think you need to look at where your getting kids meals. Many of the ts meals do have more "kids" fare and also mini adult. For example, teppon edo's kid's menu are smaller portions of the adult menu. Le Cellier has steak on its kid's menu, Rose and Crown has bangers and mash on the kid menu, my oldest had salad, noodles etc from the kid's menu at qs.

There are plenty of menus for Disney on the web and that makes it much easier to look at, decide if your kids would eat the food at the place and then schedule it in.

But it is nice to have the standard "kid" fare. I know my kids aren't always ambitious or want to try something new and thus will go to something they are familiar with and it's not like my kids don't eat at home what we do. They even eat sushi!

Wendy5055
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
I think we are going to try Rose & Crown this year. We tried LeCellier and it was not one of our faves.

I think a great idea (if your kids are old enough) is to include your kids in the restaurant choosing. I am doing it this year with dd8 and she is really getting into it.

As far as the meal choices on the Kids meals...just how many fruit cups, ckn tenders, pizzas and make your own sundaes can one kid eat? I agree in searching for those that do offer a more adult option for kids, but the majority do not.

I DO feel the dining plan it worth it and enjoy using it. As it is just me and dd8 this year, I will order an appetizer she is crazy about (personally I don't eat much seafood, but she loves it) and let her have at it. Then we can pick at her "kids" meal...she will probably pick off my plate as well. It works for us and has helped us get through many disgruntled kids meals! I will also let her have some of my dessert as approx. 3 days into the trip last year she refused to eat another Make Your Own Sundae and wanted the "Celebration" fun desserts too.:laughing:

Zookeeperof4
01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Both my kid's ordered off the adult or kids menu for our CS meals (they are both under 9) at will and we had no problems. I know other people have done this before as well.

Thanks for saying this as I was going to say it. WE used the CS credits and the only time it was a distinguished difference that I noticed was when we ate at the POR restaurant. Everywhere else it did not matter.
My son had the kids meal plan and he always ordered something off the regular menu....now he had a bigger appetite then I did so I was willing to do a kids meal but once I saw no difference we just ordered. One thing I did was got the girls one meal to share. you only get meals per night of you stay and we were there for 5 days so we tried to make the meals last so we had at least one meal saved for no OOP on the last day. Since they did not discriminate CS meals we were fine with that. With the girls sharing their meals we had enough credits the last day to each have one meal.
Another thing was I wish I would have just used the snack credits. I was to busy trying to make them last....we could have gotten alot more snacks and ended up taking home alot of rice crispie mickey ears. LOL I'll know for next time now....

PearlySwan
01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
popcorn::

^^^^ :lmao::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

JustAGirl
01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
WOW This thread really blew up!! Im glad im not alone in my opinion . I also didnt know you could probaly get by with ordering off the adult menu. Im going to try that hopefully I wont be outted! My dd has a big appetite so if i can get away with it all the better .I can have my meal and dd and ds can split a meal.

zoemurr
01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
WOW This thread really blew up!! Im glad im not alone in my opinion . I also didnt know you could probaly get by with ordering off the adult menu. Im going to try that hopefully I wont be outted! My dd has a big appetite so if i can get away with it all the better .I can have my meal and dd and ds can split a meal.

because a CM at Pizza Planet told us while we were trying to figure out our order.

Honestly we found most of the portions to be so big that the 4 of us would just share 2 adult CS meals. (and my kids are 8/10 and pretty big eaters) I can only remember one time that we had to go back for more.