PDA

View Full Version : Might buy a condo...what is a salt water pool?

IluvKingLouis
01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
We've been looking off and on at buying an investment property in the WDW area. Partially as an investment, but also for a good excuse for us to just go "hang" for a month.

One of the complexes we're looking at has a salt water pool. I know that after a swim in the ocean I feel dried out and itchy. Is this the same? Or is the salt level much less? And what is the advantage of having a pool that is salt water?

Thanks!

formill
01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
We have a salt water pool- it is far less salty than the ocean. The salty water goes through a cell (ours is extra little machine at the filter area by pump)that converts to chlorine but is much gentler-no smells. Biggest plus is no chemical use (salt is added one time only- the only time you top up is after many backflushes or lots of splash out-salt does not evaporate)- much easier on eyes/bathing suits and the chlorine level stays stable so much easier far less chance of green pool. We live in Canada and originally looked into it after staying in a villa that had salt water. I could not imagine going back to buying buckets of chlorine now. Our only problem with ours is the occassional cleaning of the cell itself-gets calcium build up and won't function. Otherwise pool has become almost maintenance free. Most people say they love the "feel" of the water. :)

LA1984
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
A salt water pool is also much less harsh on the hair than a chlorine pool.

IluvKingLouis
01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
It sounds interesting. I just could not imagine how it would feel.

madcoco
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
What formill said. Very happy with ours on almost 3 yrs of use. After having "standard" chlorinated pools in the past,would never consider switching back. The water is less salty than a tear and soft.:)

Straitlover
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
The fitness center I go to has saline pools (they converted from chlorine to saline recently). Here's how they describe them:

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do Saline Pools work?

Saline (salt water) purification systems provide on-site production of the sanitizer necessary to maintain safe water. Sanitizer is produced automatically, within the water itself. An electric current is passed through salt water in a chlorinator cell, splitting salt into sodium and chloride. It then releases a chlorine gas into the water which dissolves instantly (so it is never a hazard) and produces adequate levels of sanitizer.

How salty is the water?

Saline pools are about 1/12th as salty as ocean water, or 1/3rd as salty as human tears.

Are saline pools healthy and safe?

A saline purification system maintains perfectly healthy water and eliminates the risks and problems associated with periods of very high or low chemical levels. Sanitizer can be maintained at levels to comply with state and local requirements.

Is it a comfortable swimming environment? Will it irritate my skin?

Users of saline pools enjoy the natural therapeutic and health benefits of the mild salt water with none of the obnoxious effects usually suffered with manually-chlorinated pools. People who have reactions to manually-chlorinated pools generally do not have a problem swimming in a saline pool. As a rule, saline is much less irritating to the eyes and skin.

Will the salt burn my eyes?

Saline is much easier on your eyes than chlorine because of the lower percentage of salt found in the water.

How does the water feel?

Saline feels softer on the skin than manually-chlorinated pools.

scot@dvcstore
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Salt water pools are great and generally less expensive to operate versus a chlorine system. Water has a softer feel to it. :cool1::banana::banana: