PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Posting this here, as well as the resort board since it's budget related! Okay, I feel like I might as well join the resort changers just for posting this! Okay, here's the deal. A while back I "forced"(dh doesn't talk Disney much, even though he likes it and all) dh to tell me which resort he would like to stay at if given a choice. He finally said he guessed it would be CR. I was asking because I was planning a possible birthday trip later!

Okay, fast forward a few months..I got the year long PIN code.. 20% off values/30%off mods/40% off deluxes. I immediately called and was told that only tower~theme park view was available. Okay..so I asked the price..$5100 for 2 adults and 3 kids(including 7day hoppers and the regular DDP based on 4 adults(two kids are over 9yrs.) and 1 child. Okay, well that sounded pretty darn good compared to prices I had seen in the past! Of course dh says it's only a good deal if you are willing to pay that much!

Fast forward again..dh and I are having a conversation..something like me saying..well that would only save about $1,000. He says something back like..well $1,000 must not seem like much to you anymore or something, but it seems like alot to me! Then, he says he can't see why we don't just stay at Windsor Hills like usual, and that since I had "built up" onsite so much that he hoped I would end up seeing it probably wasn't all it was made out to be!!

Okay...soo...the facts are..I know that obviously money is the only reason why he cares where we stay. He does have a bit of a hard time letting go of money. BUT, he does REALLY enjoy our Disney vacations!! Really!! It is just hard for him to rationalize spending that money and then in a week it's over!

So..I called and checked last night and found out that our cheapest onsite option will actually be about the same(after running numbers for food and all) as staying offsite at the condo I was quoted $3135 at POR with the QS plan/7day base tickets. Also, IF (not betting on it though) FD was offered(and we switched from the current PIN offer) the trip would be only around $2,500(cheaper than condo).
AsMu f.s. with QS is about $600 more. Also, I'm not into trying for connecting rooms at a value for fear of not getting them. So, POR is our best value. We would have our own car, so transporation wouldn't be a biggie. I actually had POR booked last year and stressed about it possibly being too crowded in our room and changed to offsite! I just don't know how painful it will be too take that MK view wallpaper off of my computer!

Dh does not get involved with booking, etc., he tells me to just do what I think is best..which makes things VERY difficult! So, all things considered......what would you do?????

Edited to say..I guess I left out an option of still trying to get a wing room(none available) at CR/dropping the hoppers/ and going to QS dining
That would obviously make a big difference as well.:idea:

minnie1928
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I voted change to POR because if I understand it correctly, you'll save about $2000 off of staying at CR. While I have not stayed at CR, I have stayed at POLY and while it was nice...it really wasn't that much nicer than PO for the money. If your DH has "money issues" then perhaps this is the way to go...kind of a compromise between CR and ASM.

kbheap
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I am with your husband. I would opt to save the money and go to value or por. You still get the total disney experience. We go to DW several times a year. We mainly stay offsite and once a year will stay on site. We always go value or mod to save money. We wouldn't be able to afford going to DW nearly as often if we had to spend $5000 per trip. There is no way we could wing that several times a year. Actually, our kids prefer the value (all under 7) over any of the other resorts because they relate more to the theming. Good luck. Whatever you choose will be fun. You will be at DW.

katied
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
If you're comparing POR (QS plan and base tickets) to CR (DDP and hopping tickets), then it's not quite a fair comparison. You should price CR with the QS plan and base tickets. I don't know how big the difference will be then - if dropping the hopping and the DDP gets you under $4,000 for CR, than I would stick with CR if you can afford it. Otherwise, I would drop to POR.

Smile4Me
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I would change to POR- and then take what you've saved and put it toward your next trip to CR. Save up for it by saving change, recycling aluminum, babysitting, whatever it takes! You'll feel so much better about both trips, plus you'll have gotten to WDW twice, and compromising with DH!

3boymthr
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
If you're comparing POR (QS plan and base tickets) to CR (DDP and hopping tickets), then it's not quite a fair comparison. You should price CR with the QS plan and base tickets. I don't know how big the difference will be then - if dropping the hopping and the DDP gets you under $4,000 for CR, than I would stick with CR if you can afford it. Otherwise, I would drop to POR.

DITTO! You're comparing apples to oranges.

prncess674
01-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I would seriously consider WH with 3 kids. In either CR or POR you are going to be crammed liked sardines with five people and the corresponding luggage in one room with only one bathroom. There is something to be said about having SPACE for everyone to lounge and relax.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I would change to POR- and then take what you've saved and put it toward your next trip to CR. Save up for it by saving change, recycling aluminum, babysitting, whatever it takes! You'll feel so much better about both trips, plus you'll have gotten to WDW twice, and compromising with DH!

I wasn't really trying to "compare"..just showing how inexpensive I could get the trip down to. As far as CR with base/QS, I'm getting around $4250. BUT, if any wing rooms opened up, that could take it to around $3500, which is actually cheaper than AsMu f.s. (because of the 40% vs. 20%)!!!

deerhart
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
another option would be wilderness lodge. They are a bit cheaper then CR, but still close to mK.

I TOTALLY understand your dilemma. We have been planning our Disney trip (booking on Friday) and have been waffling between beach Club and POR due to the price (its about a $800 difference) and we are going with beach club.

We have never stayed at a deluxe before, DH wants a more crowded resort then we had last time (CBR) and we want to have much more easier access to transportation. For us, the extra we spent was negligible (if we were spending several thousand more, well its a different story).

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I would seriously consider WH with 3 kids. In either CR or POR you are going to be crammed liked sardines with five people and the corresponding luggage in one room with only one bathroom. There is something to be said about having SPACE for everyone to lounge and relax.

We do like WH. We have stayed there twice. Last summer we stayed there for 2 weeks. I really just want to try onsite at least once, but mainly I want to do a dining plan and get everything prepaid this time. Last time we just went hog wild eating whereever/whenever and I had some debt to pay off when we got back. I think I would enjoy some structure this time.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 11:21 AM
another option would be wilderness lodge. They are a bit cheaper then CR, but still close to mK.

I TOTALLY understand your dilemma. We have been planning our Disney trip (booking on Friday) and have been waffling between beach Club and POR due to the price (its about a $800 difference) and we are going with beach club.

We have never stayed at a deluxe before, DH wants a more crowded resort then we had last time (CBR) and we want to have much more easier access to transportation. For us, the extra we spent was negligible (if we were spending several thousand more, well its a different story).

I wish we did have the option of one day staying at WL or AKL, but for families of 5 they only offer the very expensive deluxe rooms!

disney4us2002
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
If you can afford the CR without giving up too much else between now and your trip, I'd stick with it. We are also a family of 5 and have stayed at a few different Disney resorts including CR. The kids' absolute, hands-down favorite trip ever was the CR. There is no comparison to being able to walk to MK versus catching a bus to anywhere!!!! My kids adored the CR, the gameroom, renting water mice (called something else now) at the marina. Anytime I mention going back to Disney, all of them ask if we can go to the CR again. Our dh's sound a bit similar and mine thought offsite would be a better bargain until we did it and then he hated commuting in and out twice every day. It was nice to have our own house and so much space but when we're at Disney, we are AT Disney. Now he only wants to do onsite.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
If you can afford the CR without giving up too much else between now and your trip, I'd stick with it. We are also a family of 5 and have stayed at a few different Disney resorts including CR. The kids' absolute, hands-down favorite trip ever was the CR. There is no comparison to being able to walk to MK versus catching a bus to anywhere!!!! My kids adored the CR, the gameroom, renting water mice (called something else now) at the marina. Anytime I mention going back to Disney, all of them ask if we can go to the CR again. Our dh's sound a bit similar and mine thought offsite would be a better bargain until we did it and then he hated commuting in and out twice every day. It was nice to have our own house and so much space but when we're at Disney, we are AT Disney. Now he only wants to do onsite.

Well, since my dh has never experienced onsite, hopefully he will decide he really likes it!!! I am afraid if we stay at a value/mod that he won't like it as much and say.."see, told ya so"!:rotfl:
Did you and your family stay in the tower?

Kay1
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
POR is very nice though you'd have to share one bathroom which you're not accustomed to. Good luck with you're decision. I would choose WH but that's not one of your options.

wdwfan16
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
How tall is your DD? The trundle at POR is best when the person smaller.

When I spend money I look at it more in the how long do I have to work to make that money.

How did you enjoy your condo last year?

PrincessMama605
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I would change to two value rooms and keep the ddp and hoppers. You would have more space and privacy(2 bathrooms!). I might be wrong about this but I thought if the children outnumbered the adults that you should be guaranteed connecting rooms.

Then you can use your ddp credits to eat at the places you really want instead of eating QS all day. And you'll have the freedom of hoppers and not being tied to one park all day. How much time are you really going to spend in the room vs at the parks?

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
How tall is your DD? The trundle at POR is best when the person smaller.

When I spend money I look at it more in the how long do I have to work to make that money.

How did you enjoy your condo last year?

Actually my youngest (ds) just turned 5yrs. old , so we're okay with the trundle. As far as the condo, we have always liked staying there just fine. I really just wanted to try out onsite and prepay everything as well. I guess I'm still wondering about that "magic" onsite is supposed to have!!

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I would change to two value rooms and keep the ddp and hoppers. You would have more space and privacy(2 bathrooms!). I might be wrong about this but I thought if the children outnumbered the adults that you should be guaranteed connecting rooms.

Then you can use your ddp credits to eat at the places you really want instead of eating QS all day. And you'll have the freedom of hoppers and not being tied to one park all day. How much time are you really going to spend in the room vs at the parks?

Actually since our PIN is 20%off values and 40% off deluxes, doing that would cost us over $4300. That is even more than staying at the CR wing with DDP and hoppers(although the wing seems to not be available right now!) We could even stay at CR with a theme park view, QS, and base tickets for around 4200 with our PIN. I know those are great deals, I was just looking for the best deals to show dh our options!

wdwfan16
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Actually my youngest (ds) just turned 5yrs. old , so we're okay with the trundle. As far as the condo, we have always liked staying there just fine. I really just wanted to try out onsite and prepay everything as well. I guess I'm still wondering about that "magic" onsite is supposed to have!!

I just figured you would not want a 13 year old boy and a 10 year old girl in the same bed. That is why I asked about her on the trundle.

We have done both on and off and really prefer on. DH and I drive all week long and for us a vacation is to not have to drive.

Try the POR and see how you like it.

Ciao Mickey
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Posting this here, as well as the resort board since it's budget related! Okay, I feel like I might as well join the resort changers just for posting this! Okay, here's the deal. A while back I "forced"(dh doesn't talk Disney much, even though he likes it and all) dh to tell me which resort he would like to stay at if given a choice. He finally said he guessed it would be CR. I was asking because I was planning a possible birthday trip later!

Okay, fast forward a few months..I got the year long PIN code.. 20% off values/30%off mods/40% off deluxes. I immediately called and was told that only tower~theme park view was available. Okay..so I asked the price..$5100 for 2 adults and 3 kids(including 7day hoppers and the regular DDP based on 4 adults(two kids are over 9yrs.) and 1 child. Okay, well that sounded pretty darn good compared to prices I had seen in the past! Of course dh says it's only a good deal if you are willing to pay that much!

Fast forward again..dh and I are having a conversation..something like me saying..well that would only save about $1,000. He says something back like..well $1,000 must not seem like much to you anymore or something, but it seems like alot to me! Then, he says he can't see why we don't just stay at Windsor Hills like usual, and that since I had "built up" onsite so much that he hoped I would end up seeing it probably wasn't all it was made out to be!!

Okay...soo...the facts are..I know that obviously money is the only reason why he cares where we stay. He does have a bit of a hard time letting go of money. BUT, he does REALLY enjoy our Disney vacations!! Really!! It is just hard for him to rationalize spending that money and then in a week it's over!

So..I called and checked last night and found out that our cheapest onsite option will actually be about the same(after running numbers for food and all) as staying offsite at the condo I was quoted $3135 at POR with the QS plan/7day base tickets. Also, IF (not betting on it though) FD was offered(and we switched from the current PIN offer) the trip would be only around $2,500(cheaper than condo).
AsMu f.s. with QS is about $600 more. Also, I'm not into trying for connecting rooms at a value for fear of not getting them. So, POR is our best value. We would have our own car, so transporation wouldn't be a biggie. I actually had POR booked last year and stressed about it possibly being too crowded in our room and changed to offsite! I just don't know how painful it will be too take that MK view wallpaper off of my computer!

Dh does not get involved with booking, etc., he tells me to just do what I think is best..which makes things VERY difficult! So, all things considered......what would you do?????

Edited to say..I guess I left out an option of still trying to get a wing room(none available) at CR/dropping the hoppers/ and going to QS dining
That would obviously make a big difference as well.:idea:

If money is not an issue, I would definitely keep the reservations you have now.

I love staying at the CR (especially during Christmas). We've stayed in the Towers many, many times over the years and the view of the MK can't be beat. It's fun to watch the MK come alive each day. Plus you can't beat the convenience of the monorail and being able to go to other mono resorts for dinner and you can walk to the MK.

If you do decide to stay at the Contemporary, ask for high floor right in the middle.

You only live once...:wizard:

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I just figured you would not want a 13 year old boy and a 10 year old girl in the same bed. That is why I asked about her on the trundle.

We have done both on and off and really prefer on. DH and I drive all week long and for us a vacation is to not have to drive.

Try the POR and see how you like it.

Oh, gotcha about the bed thing... I just meant we were okay for trundle age...actually we were going to bring a twin size air mattress and probably let the older kids take turns on it.:thumbsup2

Shmily1
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I voted POR. We love that resort!! Its actually my DH's favorite resort, even though my favorite is BC. Five in a room is not as bad as it's made to appear. We took five to BC and DS19 who is 6'2" slept on the daybed. It was his! Do not sit on it!!:lmao: The trip will be what you make of it and staying at POR is an awesome idea and a great place to be!!;) I bet your DH will be pleasantly surprised.

Perditamarie
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Actually since our PIN is 20%off values and 40% off deluxes, doing that would cost us over $4300. That is even more than staying at the CR wing with DDP and hoppers(although the wing seems to not be available right now!) We could even stay at CR with a theme park view, QS, and base tickets for around 4200 with our PIN. I know those are great deals, I was just looking for the best deals to show dh our options!

Staying onsite is magical and if you have to suck it up and stay at the Contemporary to prove it, so be it!!

I agree that you already probably have the best value deal in terms of room size, location, amenities, park tix, dining, transportation.....anything you do from here will be less expensive but not an "equal" change. If you have to drop to QS & no hoppers to make the numbers look better, that's okay....unless you would spend $ oop for TS, then just keep the ddp.

Our family of 5 (kids 5,6 & 7 at the time) found the room at POR very, very snug...it seemed only 1 person could walk around and the "stuff" you end up with for 5 people ends up taking over that little room!! The grounds, pool, resort, etc were very nice, however and we love the vacation from driving too.

Forgot to say I voted to stay at CR and reduce tix/dining if necessary.

mom of 3G's
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
My vote is to keep your CR ressie and opt out of the park hoppers, but keep your dining plan. Keep checking on wing rooms, they might open up the closer you get to your travel dates. Good Luck!

Jsme
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
If he is a worrier about money I would do the condo since he has said what he did about doing what you did in the past. I think the condo has a lot of better options. If you do POR you are going to have a hotel room. The condo is going to be an apartment. With your family this will give you some privacy. For us privacy is now more of a must. Plus with the issues of money that he has I think he would feel better if he is doing something $1000 cheaper. I am a worrier and I do the bills. Even if we had all the money in the world things would bother me. So for his peace of mind about money do the condo.

That is just my 2 cents. Oh and I understand this was suppose to be a birthday gift to him thus the nicer place to stay but honestly if it is going to bug him at all about the extra expense that is not a birthday gift to him. I have gotten upset with presents in the past DH has bought me I knew we could not afford. This ruined the present for me.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
My vote is to keep your CR ressie and opt out of the park hoppers, but keep your dining plan. Keep checking on wing rooms, they might open up the closer you get to your travel dates. Good Luck!

That's the thing..I have read on here that once the rooms for the PIN are gone, that's it. Even if someone cancels, that room is no longer available under the PIN. So, I assume that nothing is available but the MK view since nothing was when I booked, but I haven't called back to check yet.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
If he is a worrier about money I would do the condo since he has said what he did about doing what you did in the past. I think the condo has a lot of better options. If you do POR you are going to have a hotel room. The condo is going to be an apartment. With your family this will give you some privacy. For us privacy is now more of a must. Plus with the issues of money that he has I think he would feel better if he is doing something $1000 cheaper. I am a worrier and I do the bills. Even if we had all the money in the world things would bother me. So for his peace of mind about money do the condo.

That is just my 2 cents. Oh and I understand this was suppose to be a birthday gift to him thus the nicer place to stay but honestly if it is going to bug him at all about the extra expense that is not a birthday gift to him. I have gotten upset with presents in the past DH has bought me I knew we could not afford. This ruined the present for me.

This was my thinking as well as far as the money part, but I have run the numbers until I can get the trip down to 3,500 still staying at CR in a wing(if they become available) with the QS dining and base tickets..which is only about 500 more than the condo trip. Therefore, space, would then become the deciding factor! And that is also the thing..he only looks at space/price and cannot see why anyone would pay more money to stay somewhere smaller no matter the location!:rolleyes: Also, forgot to mention..the trip is also for ds5's birthday as well.

lisam427
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
my vote is for por. it is our favorite resort. the grounds are beautiful. the staff is very helpful and friendly. we went this past sept. and just love it. the boat to downtown disney is great..easpecially at night. food court is great.although its not a magic kingdom view its beautiful. even the transportation was great..never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus. its a great resort for the money.. and if you can save some cash and enjoy disney why not.

HunnyPots
01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I voted for POR because I agree that $1000 is a lot of money and I can think of so many other things I'd spend it on before I spent it on a hotel room where we only sleep and shower. BUT that's just me. Having said that, I've got to tell you, we've done both off and onsite and after having spent a week in a 4 br home with a private pool and only a ten minute drive to the parks for $76 per night, I have NO desire to stay onsite again!

Indiana Rose Lee
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
You all are going to be cramped wherever. That said, I'd switch. You don't get that much more for triple price.

There is no way my husband would go back to a tiny room after condoing it when we have more that one child with us. Good luck.

GinCar
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Having stayed at both, I am one of the few that chose CR. I am not a resort snob, but the two can't be compared. CR is my favorite by a long shot.
If you could maybe drop hoppers and get a different view, you would save quite a bit. I would also try to save up a bit more by doing "budget" things around the house so as not to stress your DH.
My opinion is based on 2 wonderful stays at the CR. I have 3 kids and we enjoy a bit of room and being close to MK and the monorail.

Good luck with your decision. No matter what you will be in Disney.:thumbsup2

cindycastle30
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Just to bring up another option, you could try to get into a cabin at fort wilderness. These count as a moderate for the savings. We stayed there in august and they were wonderful. Plenty of room for everyone and your own deck to sit out on in the morning and at night. They also have a full kitchen, we were on the dining plan so didn't use it much, but it was nice to have a full size fridge for water and leftovers. I know that it is not CR but it is still close to MK and you can take the boat there, fireworks are nice to watch from the beach. After staying in these for 9 nights with 4 kids (13,12,11,&7) we will never go back to a regular hotel room at Disney, it is like having your own place. The privacy and space were amazing. My husband loved not being all on top of each other and us having some privacy was great on vacation also. I know that you were not asking about the cabins as an option but I do think that they are often overlooked as a nice place for families to stay.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
01-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions/ideas! It is funny how I posted my poll on the budget and resort boards and almost knew what the results would be! LOL

Budget boarders say switch...resort boarders say stay!! LOL