PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan for Dec 2010-DD has Leukemia

bluedoggy
01-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Our DD (31) was diagnosed with Leukemia in Sept. As an incentive to keep her thinking positive, we are hoping she is well enough to go to WDW in Dec hopefully for Christmas. Our SIL & DGrD (7) would also be with DH & Me... We were thinking either a treehouse villa or maybe a 2BR at OKW, but since she has trouble walking will now probably need a wheelchair access room. We are OKW members. My question is how to protect us on our points if she has a medical issue at the time we plan to go, I may need to borrow from our next year to have enough points also.
Any suggestions welcome... Prayers also :littleangel:

disneynutz
01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Not much you can do if you cancel 31 days or less prior to your check in date, the points will go into holding. Depending on your UY, you may be able to bank your points if you cancel greater than 31 days.

A illness is very hard on everyone in the family and all you can do is pray for the best. My heart goes out to you and your family. :grouphug:

:) Bill

WDWFERN
01-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I am sorry to read about your daughter's illness and will certainly add your family to our prayers. As I am relatively new to DVC I am sure many others will have additional insight, but one thought I had was to make the reservation you want for December. If you found you were unable to travel in December or rebook for later in the year, you could think about renting the reservation to someone else. As December is such a popular DVC time, I would think there would be a chance you could find someone who might want to rent the reservation from you even with relatively short notice. But most of all I hope that your daughter does well and that YOUR family is able to all travel together and enjoy a much deserved vacation not only next December but for many decades to come.

ADAMANDLISA
01-09-2010, 07:58 AM
:hug: I am no help on the points, just wanted to give a hug!:hug:

castleri
01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I wish your family well and hope that everything will work to provide you with a wonderful trip for everyone. Having just experienced a medical situation with my mother (age95)(got the call Dec 11) that prevented me making our week after Christmas trip I know your concerns. In my case I sent the rest of the group and we did not have point issues . That said I would plan for the week before Christmas and maybe up to the day after. My family reported 160 minute lines for some of the rides the first day they were there (Dec 28). Even with a wheelchair and medical needs it is my understanding that you really do not get any quicker access to the rides and this could be a big strain for your daughter depending on how she is doing at the time. You really just have to decide if you want to take the chance that you could end up with points in holding if something happens within the 30 day point. I had that happen once (yes with a Christmas week reservation) and because I was looking for a slower time of year when I went to make the reservation I had no problems with the 60 day time period. Hoping that everyhting goes well for your daughter and that you are able to have a magical trip at years end.

Deb & Bill
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
You may want to purchase travel insurance for your points should you have to cancel. You'd be reimbursed $5 a point for your points.

Dean
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
You have all our prayers, we hope things work out as well as possible. Depending on UY and how many points you may have to borrow, I agree with considering the insurance. If it's likely that some people may go, you might get smaller units like a studio plus a 1 BR at OKW.

jakenjess
01-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Sending prayers for your DD.:hug:

kimberh
01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I am so sorry about your daughter. Can't tell you how much. I had a reservation for Dec 15th - Dec 18th for a two bedroom at Beachclub two years ago. My Son in law's Mother died on Dec 10th. They were 4 of our 6 people. I callled DVC, nothing could be done. We went on anyway. I had booked the room in Jan, she wasn't even sick. Good luck with your decision and I will be praying for you. :grouphug:

BLTtinkerbell
01-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I will be praying for your daughter to make a full recovery. :flower3:

bluedoggy
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I absolutely would get the travel insurance ( I do anyway because of elderly parents) but my main concern was because we have a March & June use year-so by the time we would go it would be impossible to bank any points and we would be borrowing part from next year to have enough. I'm thinking that we will most likely just take our chances and wait to see how she does, especially since there is a chance she will have a bone marrow transplant (if we can find a match) Although we would love to actually spend Christmas at WDW, we are so used to going during lower crowd times, we are spoiled.
But if we did make a reservation and couldn't go, how difficult have you found it to rent out your reservations? We have never done that. Just post it on the Rent/Trade Board? Any suggestions welcome

Deb & Bill
01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I absolutely would get the travel insurance ( I do anyway because of elderly parents) but my main concern was because we have a March & June use year-so by the time we would go it would be impossible to bank any points and we would be borrowing part from next year to have enough. I'm thinking that we will most likely just take our chances and wait to see how she does, especially since there is a chance she will have a bone marrow transplant (if we can find a match) Although we would love to actually spend Christmas at WDW, we are so used to going during lower crowd times, we are spoiled.
But if we did make a reservation and couldn't go, how difficult have you found it to rent out your reservations? We have never done that. Just post it on the Rent/Trade Board? Any suggestions welcome

Unfortunately, you can't post a reservation for rent until 30 days out on the R/T Board. But you could post points for rent should you need to cancel.

Dean
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately, you can't post a reservation for rent until 30 days out on the R/T Board. But you could post points for rent should you need to cancel.And there are other locations that a rental could be posted.