PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Question about eating at ports on a Mediterranean Cruise

froggymomma
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
We are planning ahead for a possible June 2011 Mediterranean cruise. Our (then) 12 year old son has severe dairy allergies. We've cruised DCL before and have no worries about him on the ship but have never been to Europe and have no idea if we'll be able to find dairy free food for him while out and about on excursions, or even pre- and post-cruise in Barcelona.

I've done some searches in the forum and did not find any information on this subject.

Other than not being a big fish guy - he is not a picky eater - he just cannot have dairy in any form.

Has anyone been there, done that - or have any suggestions?

In reading trip reports many folks seem to like private tours - to ensure my son's food needs can be handled, are we limited to DCL tours?

Thanks for any help you can provide - we really want to do this cruise, but we need to know if it is doable before we book.
Kim

kcashner
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
DCL sponsored tours are not RUN by DCL. They contract with another tour operator. They have a liability statement that says that DCL is not responsible, etc. SO, I'm not sure they can even assure your son's allergy needs will be met on an excursion that they sponsor.

You'll be totally fine on the ship, but you're going to need to be the vigilant mom off the ship. Are there protein bars, etc. that you can take with you for excursions? Can you eat before leaving the ship and when you get back to the ship, and just have a "little something" while on the excursion? Can you bring beverages in a can?

I realize that he needs to eat on an 8 hour excursion. Just trying to brainstorm.

elkesails
01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
We are planning ahead for a possible June 2011 Mediterranean cruise. Our (then) 12 year old son has severe dairy allergies. We've cruised DCL before and have no worries about him on the ship but have never been to Europe and have no idea if we'll be able to find dairy free food for him while out and about on excursions, or even pre- and post-cruise in Barcelona.

I've done some searches in the forum and did not find any information on this subject.

Other than not being a big fish guy - he is not a picky eater - he just cannot have dairy in any form.

Has anyone been there, done that - or have any suggestions?

In reading trip reports many folks seem to like private tours - to ensure my son's food needs can be handled, are we limited to DCL tours?

Thanks for any help you can provide - we really want to do this cruise, but we need to know if it is doable before we book.
Kim

I would write up a warning regarding your son's serious allergies, have it translated into the appropriate languages and printed onto 5 X 7 cards. Make sure the language for each card is written boldly in English. I would ask your doctor to sign each card just to emphasize the point. I would laminate them individually and put them on a ring. Then take them with me to every restaurant and activity.

Once on board the ship I would look into the possibility of taking lunch from the ship ashore for excursions. Even if there is a customs policy prohibiting food ashore they might be flexible for your situation.

On land....I would look for small proprietor run cafes, markets and ,of course, Kosher restaurants.

Most of all I would take my son and enjoy the trip.....before you know it he will be off to Europe with his college buddies

sayhello
01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
On land....I would look for small proprietor run cafes, markets and ,of course, Kosher restaurants.Make sure that's a Kosher meat restaurant. A Kosher dairy restaurant will do you no good. :) A certified Kosher meat restaurant will have no dairy products on the premises. If they do, they will lose their certification. You might want to contact a local Orthodox Jewish center (like Lubavitch) who I'm sure would have a way to find out the certified Kosher meat restaurants in each port. Then you'd be sure. Let me know if you need help finding someone to ask.

Sayhello

elkesails
01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Make sure that's a Kosher meat restaurant. A Kosher dairy restaurant will do you no good. :) A certified Kosher meat restaurant will have no dairy products on the premises. If they do, they will lose their certification. You might want to contact a local Orthodox Jewish center (like Lubavitch) who I'm sure would have a way to find out the certified Kosher meat restaurants in each port. Then you'd be sure. Let me know if you need help finding someone to ask.

Sayhello

Thanks for adding that note of clarification.

budwmn
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I have a severe dairy allergy and took a Med. cruise on Celebrity this summer. Most restaurants were great in trying to meet my needs. However, I must admit that the food they substituted for me wasn't very flavorful (a lot of plain grilled chicken an salads with dairy-free dressing). They were so afraid to harm me that they overcompensated by adding little to no seasoning.

In addition to cards that state the allergy, I would also print up some that have a suggested meal like "grilled chicken and salad". That way you can give them an idea of what he can eat.

froggymomma
01-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks so much for your input. I won't let the allergy stop our trip and I will definitely prepare and laminate the cards as suggested.

The Kosher meat restaurant suggestion is very welcome as well.

For anyone who stayed in Barcelona with a dairy allergy - were there any recommended restaurants or hotels that worked well with you and seemed to "get it"?