PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you can't get the view you want at exactly 11 months out?

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Iím just curious what others would do in this situation. My home resort is the Boardwalk, and I have always been able to get Boardwalk view studios for December. I have traditionally started my stays in the middle of a week.

Well, I called today, and tried to get the Boardwalk view studio, and there was not one available for the night I would like to start my trip. Since my stay is starting on a Tuesday, Iím not really surprised that it wasnít available, but it is disappointing to be the first caller to a member services rep on the day exactly 11 months out and not be able to get the view that I would like.

I wound up booking the preferred view room for a seven night stay, and went on a waitlist for the Boardwalk view, hoping that there are walkers out there, and that waitlist will come through.

Now, Iím wondering if Iím better off booking a one night stay, and trying for the Boardwalk view again tomorrow, and continuing to try to get that Boardwalk view reservation until I get it (which Iím guessing would happen at least by the Friday of my stay, if not sooner). I do not think Iíd have a problem adding on the preferred view studio night by night at exactly 11 months out.

Do we know exactly how the waitlist works? Letís say a walker called and cancelled a Boardwalk room right after I made my reservation. Does the waitlist automatically pick up on that and give that room to the next person on the waitlist? Or does it check at certain points of the day, so that potentially someone who called right after the walker cancelled can book that room even though there are people waiting for that room?

Ideally, I want the Boardwalk view for the entire stay, but I donít mind switching rooms once during the stay if I have to.

Logically, my brain is telling me to make it a one night reservation, and trying to get the Boardwalk view room each morning until I can get it, and adding on the next night at the preferred view if I donít get it.

So what would you do (of have you done) if you were in this situation?

KellyDVC
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you're dealing with the impact of the change in reserving 11 months out. I believe you can now book up to 14 days out from the start date of your reservation, meaning I could book today 1/7, a reservation for 12/7-21st. So people have been booking "your" vacation dates for two weeks now, not just two days ago. Next year I would book your dates as soon as that 14 day window has your dates in it and then cancel the earlier dates later - yes, its gaming the system but I also say play...or cry foul, but I prefer the tearless option.

I would think the waitlist will come through, although that first two weeks is the most popular time for us DVCers - with the low crowds, holiday decorations, and the annual meetings.

Good Luck.

Brian

Disneycouple99
01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
The waitlist needs to have all the days available, so I would try tomorrow for the rest ot your vacation of BW view then just waitlist for the one day.

work2play
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you're dealing with the impact of the change in reserving 11 months out. I believe you can now book up to 14 days out from the start date of your reservation, meaning I could book today 1/7, a reservation for 12/7-21st. So people have been booking "your" vacation dates for two weeks now, not just two days ago. Next year I would book your dates as soon as that 14 day window has your dates in it and then cancel the earlier dates later - yes, its gaming the system but I also say play...or cry foul, but I prefer the tearless option.

I would think the waitlist will come through, although that first two weeks is the most popular time for us DVCers - with the low crowds, holiday decorations, and the annual meetings.

Good Luck.

Brian

Wow is that how it works now? I must have missed the move to 14 days. Looks like that is the best option to make sure you get the dates you want. I have a similar situation where I want to arrive on a Monday and do not want to move rooms, so I am going to use the advise of booking as early as the 14 day window opens that cover the dates I want.

Disneycouple99
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Wow is that how it works now? I must have missed the move to 14 days. Looks like that is the best option to make sure you get the dates you want. I have a similar situation where I want to arrive on a Monday and do not want to move rooms, so I am going to use the advise of booking as early as the 14 day window opens that cover the dates I want.

I still think you can only book up to 7 days at 11 month window.

dparksfan
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I held my breath booking BLT at 11 mos. exactly, and since I'm on the west coast I had to book at 6am...I got the view I wanted but with very few rooms, it could have easily been your situation. You have to think some are going to switch resorts at the 7 mos mark, so that's hopeful. On a related subject, just booked our flights using miles, at 330 days out (when they are released), and United makes you wait until your return day to book your round trip. So every day I checked our outgoing flight choices, waiting for my end date to be released, and every day flights disappeared, by the time I could book our flights, everything was gone except getting in very late to MCO or the red eye the night before. I booked the red eye:headache: Very disappointed that at such a far out booking, I had very little choice...

eliza61
01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
the Boardwalk view again tomorrow, and continuing to try to get that Boardwalk view reservation until I get it (which Iím guessing would happen at least by the Friday of my stay, if not sooner). I do not think Iíd have a problem adding on the preferred view studio night by night at exactly 11 months out.

So what would you do (of have you done) if you were in this situation?

I probably book my entire vacation at the preferred view. Is it a horrible view?

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Good Luck.

Brian

It up to 14 days? I must have missed that.

The thing that stinks about having to book earlier out is just playing around with points. I don't have enough BW points to book two full weeks without borrowing, so I have to figure out how many nights I can book based on current use year.

I'm guessing that I will most likely be able to get a Boardwalk view at some point, and it's going to be easier to get it on a shorter reservation than a longer one.

Karen

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I probably book my entire vacation at the preferred view. Is it a horrible view?

It's not a horrible view. I just prefer a Boardwalk view room.

crisi
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
We'd just book preferred view. I'm not messing with a waitlist or frequent phone calls for a view. Not worth it to me.

work2play
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I checked on the 14 days, here is the latest:

"From eleven (11) months through and including eight (8) months in advance of their desired check in day, plus up to seven (7) consecutive days after the desired check in day, Club Members have exclusive access to reservations at their Home Resort. During the Home Resort Priority Period, only Club Members who have Ownership Interests at the Home Resort and who are using Home Resort Vacation Points will be able to request reservations at their Home Resort."

If you are going for less than 7 days, then you can can book at the 7 days in advance and drop the days you do not need later. I guess the strategy changes based on how popular the days are before you plan to arrive. I think that Sunday arrivals are the most popular for DVC since the points required drop, so my guess would be that you should always start with the Sunday before you plan to arrive and add on the days you need when you can....

goofy4tink
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm another one who just can't be bothered trying to 'work' the system in order to get a particular view. I do know that I never had any trouble getting a boardwalk view studio before the new booking criteria went into effect. Now, it would seem that there are a lot of people who are booking stays as early as humanly possible so as to get the exact view they want....then, they start dropping days that they don't need. This does make it harder for those of us who just want their 5 nights in the area they want. Now, we have to be dependent on the waitlist system...and that drives me nuts.
So...tomorrow, when I call MS, right on the day I should be calling, I'll probably not be able to get either a standard or boardwalk view...those being my two favorite areas. But, I'll be fine with the preferred view in any case.
I sometimes wonder if this would continue to be an issue if Disney changed the points for a boardwalk view. Maybe it's time to make them a point or two more expensive..yeah, I know. Be careful what I wish for. But something needs to change. People booking dates they have no intention of using and taking those views out of the sytem until they drop them, is just causing issues for others.
I know that when guests make ADRs that they have no intention of keeping, but since they aren't really sure where they'll be, they make several for the same day, but in diferent parks...well, everyone got in a big ole brouhaha.

DebbieB
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Did you ask if standard view was available? That would be my second choice. I'd rather save the points than get a preferred pool/garden. If standard was not available, then I'd book preferred and waitlist.

I've been lucky under this new system and never had that happen. I think it's because my stays always start on Saturday.

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Did you ask if standard view was available? That would be my second choice. I'd rather save the points than get a preferred pool/garden. If standard was not available, then I'd book preferred and waitlist.

I've been lucky under this new system and never had that happen. I think it's because my stays always start on Saturday.

When I called, I was told they only had preferred view available.

I was chatting with Goofy4Tink about this on the phone a little while ago, and agree with a lot of what she says.

I have to admit I do like being able to make one call to get a seven night stay, but it is disappointing to not be able to get exactly what I want under this system the day my 11 month window opens when I was always able to get it under the old system.

I had a similar situation last year. I was booking a Sunday to Sunday stay. I didn't call right at 9:00 the first day, so I didn't get the BW view. I booked a preferred, and was able to get a BW view for the rest of my stay. Within a week, the waitlist had come through on the first night.

Ultimately, I do think I'll end up with a BW view for my trip (at least part of it), it's just trying to decide the best way to try to get it.

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM

I jsut got off the phone with member services, and they told me that it is still 7 nights from your check-in date.

Also, I wound up switching to a one night reservation, and will try again tomorrow. The cast member I spoke with double checked, and she got excited because there was a BW view studio available for every night but the 7th, but then she realized (as I already knew) that the system wouldn't let her book it because I didn't have a BW view studio for the night of the 7th.

So, I'll be on the phone at 9:00 tomorrow to try again.

goofy4tink
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Ahhh, so we'll both be on the phone at 9 tomorrow. Let the battle begin. Then again, I don't care as much as you do!!! Of course that means I'll get the boardwalk view and you won't!!! Kidding.:rotfl2:

TLinden16
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Ahhh, so we'll both be on the phone at 9 tomorrow. Let the battle begin. Then again, I don't care as much as you do!!! Of course that means I'll get the boardwalk view and you won't!!! Kidding.:rotfl2:

If that happens, I'll smack you silly, my friend ;)

goofy4tink
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Ooooh...I'm feeling the love, just feeling the love!!

kimberh
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Well you all scared me off this computer and onto the phone. I just booked my Dec trip. I needed a two bedroom at VWL and I got it!!! :banana: I was so relieved, my grandchildren are counting on me. Now, I just hope I have booked the right dates with my daughter.:confused3

LisaS
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
People booking dates they have no intention of using and taking those views out of the system until they drop them, is just causing issues for others.I agree Diane. Walking a reservation bothers me for the reason you mention -- it ties up inventory, making things difficult for other members and forcing them to make multiple calls and use the waitlist. I hope you and Karen will keep us posted on how things turn out.

TLinden16
01-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I agree Diane. Walking a reservation bothers me for the reason you mention -- it ties up inventory, making things difficult for other members and forcing them to make multiple calls and use the waitlist. I hope you and Karen will keep us posted on how things turn out.

Exactly. Honestly, I don't fault the system. If people used it the way DVC intended it to be used, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's when people start finding a way to beat the system, or get around the system to gain an advantage that it becomes a problem. Then it forces other people to start going around the system, too, so that they can get what they want. I've learned my lesson this year, and if I want to get my Boardwalk view room on a trip midweek in December next year, I'm going to be forced to start my reservation earlier to better my chances of what I really want.

Unfortunately, that's true with many things in life.

The thing that stinks about this situation is that if a walker called an cancelled a room after I called, someone else could get that room even though I tried for it first and I was on the waitlist on it (since I don't think the waitlist goes instantaneously).

I guess I'll find out in 2 and a half hours if I get the Boardwalk view for the rest of my stay. My guess is that I'll have the Boardwalk view for the first night within a couple of weeks. I'll post again after I call.

TLinden16
01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I was able to get the Boardwalk view studio for a seven night stay beginning on December 8th. The member service rep told me it was the last Boardwalk view studio in the system for the night of December 8th.

I'm still holding out for the night of the 7th, though, as I'd rather go from the 7-14 than the 8-15.

Sorry, Diane. Hope you got your standard view ;)

goofy4tink
01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Good for you!!! I got my standard view stdio for Dec!! And added a night at BLT. MK view studio, for my Aug trip!

TLinden16
01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Good for you!!! I got my standard view stdio for Dec!! And added a night at BLT. MK view studio, for my Aug trip!

I'm glad that you got what you really wanted, since you wanted to save yourself a few points. I was afraid that there wouldn't be any standard studios left, either.

Inkmahm
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
The waitlist needs to have all the days available, so I would try tomorrow for the rest ot your vacation of BW view then just waitlist for the one day. I vote for this one.

You have a great chance of getting just one day if that's all you're missing. Book the first night as preferred and waitlist for BWV. Then book the rest as BWV if you can.

Inkmahm
01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I was able to get the Boardwalk view studio for a seven night stay beginning on December 8th. The member service rep told me it was the last Boardwalk view studio in the system for the night of December 8th.

I'm still holding out for the night of the 7th, though, as I'd rather go from the 7-14 than the 8-15.

Sorry, Diane. Hope you got your standard view ;)

Ah, I see you got it. Great!

dianeschlicht
01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Exactly. Honestly, I don't fault the system. If people used it the way DVC intended it to be used, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's when people start finding a way to beat the system, or get around the system to gain an advantage that it becomes a problem. Then it forces other people to start going around the system, too, so that they can get what they want. I've learned my lesson this year, and if I want to get my Boardwalk view room on a trip midweek in December next year, I'm going to be forced to start my reservation earlier to better my chances of what I really want.

Unfortunately, that's true with many things in life.

The thing that stinks about this situation is that if a walker called an cancelled a room after I called, someone else could get that room even though I tried for it first and I was on the waitlist on it (since I don't think the waitlist goes instantaneously).

I guess I'll find out in 2 and a half hours if I get the Boardwalk view for the rest of my stay. My guess is that I'll have the Boardwalk view for the first night within a couple of weeks. I'll post again after I call.

Exactly!! When they first changed this rule and I talked to member satisfaction, the person I spoke with said I could call her any time I couldn't get what I wanted because of "walkers", but I'm thinking there are FAR too many people doing this. Frankly, I think the threads and references on "how to walk a reservation" need to be taken off the site. Why should we teach people how to "bend the rules"?

goofy4tink
01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
When I called this morning, the MS rep asked me what type studio I wanted. I asked her what they had available. She answered..."Oh, I'm sure everything is open since you're booking so early!' Told her that I didn't think so. When she came back with a 'Oh....there are no boardwalk views available. I didn't think that would happen!!', I told her that it would seem that many members were 'walking' their reservations. She said she had to agree..that that would be the only reason for not getting a boardwalk view on my first day!!! I told her that I figured Disney would come up with something to stop that practice....she said she really hoped so..that it didn't seem quite fair to those of us who were booking on our first possible day.
I have to agree about not posting those threads anymore. While it is still 'legal' to do, it's really stretching it. And now we have those guests who really want a particular view and because others are 'walking', these people now have to do the same..even though they would rather not. We now have a huge number of people stretching the system, which makes it close to impossible to use the system the way it was intended and still get what you need...at your home resort to boot!!

DebbieB
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
While I agree the system is not intended to be used this way, it's not technically "bending the rules", there's nothing in the rules that says you can't do it. Someone mentioned earlier that a MS CM even suggested it. So I don't think it should be a banned topic.

goofy4tink
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Technically not 'bending the rules'...but it sure does make it easier to book exactly what you want, much earlier than you previously were able to book...especially if you have a ton of points to play with. There is nothing to prevent someone from booking a boardwalk villa at the 11 month window, but not needing that villa for three weeks from then..so, they book for as many days as they need, and keep adding, until they get to the dates they need, then they start dropping days that they didn't need. Against the rules? No. But it sure does make it hard to play by the intent of the rules, doesn't it?
Can you imagine what would happen if everyone started walking their reservations?? That will never happen. Just a thought though.

Boardwalk Tigger
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I am surprised that so many people have extra points towalk a reservation! I can see for a few days but for a week out.....wow! I go at Christmas time and you would need a lot of points to walk a reservation for that long.:teacher:So annoying!

CarolMN
01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think the answer is to remove threads about walking from the DIS. We may not like the practice, but it is within the rules. In fact, when the change was made from reserving prior to check out to check in, many members who brought this to DVC's attention were told that they would "keep an eye" on the practice and take action if it becomes a problem. So DVC knows about the practice and has not deemed it to be worthy of action - at least so far.

Several posters have reported that MS suggested walking to them. Keep in mind that the more calls that go to MS, the more CMs are required to handle them. It is in the individual CM's best interest to keep the call volumes high (job security). It is management's responsibility to take action when action is necessary, and so far they haven't even told the CMs to quit suggesting it.

Those who are not in favor of walking should make that known to Member Satisfaction, especially if they are shut out and also have concerns about how the waitlists are filled.

But before you complain, think carefully about what you want them to do about the pracitce. The cure might very well be worse than the disease. For example, DVC could institute a fee for cancellations. They could make a new rule that says if you drop a day, you have to cancel the whole reservation and rebook - that means you could lose the whole reservation. So the cures could negatively affect many more than just those who are walking.

wdrl
01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
But before you complain, think carefully about what you want them to do about the pracitce. The cure might very well be worse than the disease. For example, DVC could institute a fee for cancellations. They could make a new rule that says if you drop a day, you have to cancel the whole reservation and rebook - that means you could lose the whole reservation. So the cures could negatively affect many more than just those who are walking.

I agree with CarolMN: Trying to curb the walking of reservations may result in new booking rules that are far more onerous to the majority of the Members. There are many members who modify their reservations for reasons unrelated to walking, but everyone would suffer the penalties. Do we know how many reservations are being walked? Is it happening throughout the year or only during certain times? At all resorts, or just some? Before we demand changes to the booking rules, I think we should quantify the impact of walking reservations on the booking process. Keep in mind that even if walking was eliminated, its still possible that some dates can be booked before your booking window opens.

Ciciwoowoo
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm glad the OP was able to get most of what was desired and hope the final day comes through too!

We own at the BWV and I have honestly never stayed in a Boardwalk view. We actually love the pool/garden view. I especially enjoy staying near the quiet pool. I guess its good that I don't know what I am missing, so I don't really get upset if I don't get it, eh?

Sandisw
01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
I agree with CarolMN: Trying to curb the walking of reservations may result in new booking rules that are far more onerous to the majority of the Members. There are many members who modify their reservations for reasons unrelated to walking, but everyone would suffer the penalties. Do we know how many reservations are being walked? Is it happening throughout the year or only during certain times? At all resorts, or just some? Before we demand changes to the booking rules, I think we should quantify the impact of walking reservations on the booking process. Keep in mind that even if walking was eliminated, its still possible that some dates can be booked before your booking window opens.

So do I. The price of airfare for Jetblue is not always out by September when I hit my 11 month mark for my August trip.

Because of this, I will most likely always book my trip for 7 or 8 nights even though we will go for only 5 or 6. This will give me some flexiblity on what dates I want to travel once I know what is cheaper. And, from Syracuse, sometimes one or two days earlier or later can save me hundreds.

MomsGoneGoofy
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi Rolls :)

Glad to see you got most of your boardwalk view days and hope you get your last day on the waitlist.

jekjones1558
01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
The most important reservation I make each year is a BW view 1 bedroom during early December. It is the highlight of my DVC year. But given the choice of dealing with reservation walkers or giving up the flexibility to add and subtract days or cancel reservations without penalty, I will deal with walkers, even if I miss my sacred BW view December room. The flexibility of DVC was a major selling point for us and, as our life has become more complicated, the flexibility has been a real saving grace. I agree with Carol that the cure could be much worse than the disease.

SharonS
01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Same thing happened to me today....want a BW studio...Dec 8-15....none available Dec 8th. I expressed my frustration to the CM, as the same thing occurred last year since the change in policy.

Spoke with a manager, and he stated that DVC Members 'VOTED' for the change. He further stated that 60% of members must vote for any changes..including point changes. I have never been asked to vote on any of these changes, and have been a member since 1998. I thought Disney made whatever changes they wanted....only bound by certain rules regarding the amount of point value change they could make.

Anyone else familiar with the members supposedly having 'voted' for this change?

DebbieB
01-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been a member over 10 years and never voted on anything. I don't think anyone on this board posted that they were ask to vote on this change. There is a member representative on the board of directors and it's possible they "voted" for everyone regarding this change. I doubt it though, I think it was a cop out answer.

dvc at last !
01-08-2010, 11:51 PM
This is news to me, too !

:cool1:

SharonS
01-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Yep...that's what I thought. I pushed him on it...and he proceeded to tell me it was in our documents and even tried to read out of it...didn't provide page number though!!! I stated that I was sure that it must then also state somewhere that we were giving Disney the right to vote for us....as I had never heard of anyone being asked to vote on anything.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had ever been contacted about voting for any of the changes that have come about.

kimberh
01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I have never voted for anything but certainly would love to.

KAT4DISNEY
01-09-2010, 01:51 AM

I agree but then I'm not really blaming my inability to get the room I wanted for Dec on walking. I tried 3 days to get it then just booked something else. IMO the problem is simply about the change in booking policies. If it's walking then I'll get it on the waitlist.

Even if I did blame walking I wouldn't be complaining about it because the fix for that would be much more detrimental to using my membership than not getting the exact room type I hoped for at one of the busiest times of the year. I definitely do not want any sort of fees associated to cancelling and rebooking.