PDA

View Full Version : Would we be crazy to skip dinner in the main dining rooms?

SeeJackRunn
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM
My boyfriend and I are going on a short three day cruise in May. We were wondering if it would be ridiculous to skip dinner in the main dining rooms, except for one night at Palo, and just do room service and maybe eat at the buffet? We really aren't too fond of sitting with strangers and would prefer to spend time alone together. I'm assuming we can still tip the servers even if we don't go correct?

Thanks!

stingmom
01-07-2010, 07:34 AM
yes, you can still tip your servers. Take your tip envelope on the last night to your assigned rotation table.

You won't be the only cruisers who skip the "dining" rooms. We have done this many times, especially on the shorter cruises. We dial up room service or stop at many of the different "quick takes." Have fun!!

SweetSpot
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
If it were RCI or another cruise line which had good alternatives to the main dining room for dinner I would say probably not. If you don't eat dinner in the main dining room your alternatives on DCL are Plutos for burgers, hot dogs, etc or pizza from deck 9. Room service is available but the menu is fairly limited. The buffet actually isn't a buffet and is more formal than you would expect. You are seated with a server same as in the dining room and given a very limited menu to order from. There is a salad bar to make a small salad but all other food is served to you.

Since you are on a short cruise you can certainly get by with alternatives, especially if one night is Palo. Any longer of a cruise it would get old I think.

KSandbergFL
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
My wife and I skip the main restaurants, except for Triton's night. If you have a balcony room, it's SOOOOO nice (not to mention romantic) just to get some sandwiches or a pizza, and a bottle of wine... and enjoy a quiet dinner on the quiet balcony (the grilled salmon panini is really yummy!)... even better if the balcony is facing the sunset. If you wanted the main restaurant food, you can always have your dinner delivered to your room (we did that once).

We still tip, using the prepaid tips option.

kbmo4444
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
My wife and I skip the main restaurants, except for Triton's night. If you have a balcony room, it's SOOOOO nice (not to mention romantic) just to get some sandwiches or a pizza, and a bottle of wine... and enjoy a quiet dinner on the quiet balcony (the grilled salmon panini is really yummy!)... even better if the balcony is facing the sunset. If you wanted the main restaurant food, you can always have your dinner delivered to your room (we did that once).

We still tip, using the prepaid tips option.

Just and FYI only those booked in Category 1 through 3 suites can have their supper from the assigned dining room delivered to their stateroom.

engle
01-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Just off the Wonder 4 night for the first time. If we knew then what we knew now, we would skip the dining rooms except for Triton's and eat at Palo and at the buffets, etc. We were not impressed with the food and felt like it just took too long to eat at the restaurants with not too great of food as the outcome. If I were you on a 3 night, do Palo and then whatever strikes your fancy!!

KSandbergFL
01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Just an FYI only those booked in Category 1 through 3 suites can have their supper from the assigned dining room delivered to their stateroom.

I don't know what the official rules are, but we were in a Cat 9 and had a dinner from Animators Palate delivered to our room. The difference might be -- we were in AP first, to make our dinner order... then we decided to leave before the dinner was served to the table. Our servers had it delivered to our room, without us even asking.

Bobo912
01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
My boyfriend and I are going on a short three day cruise in May. We were wondering if it would be ridiculous to skip dinner in the main dining rooms, except for one night at Palo, and just do room service and maybe eat at the buffet? We really aren't too fond of sitting with strangers and would prefer to spend time alone together. I'm assuming we can still tip the servers even if we don't go correct?

Thanks!

I missed Triton's because I was seasick that night, but I wasn't that impressed with the other restaurants. The food was just okay and the dining rooms are crowded and noisy. Contrary to what everyone else reports, our service was not good. I don't know what was going on, but our servers weren't attentive and seemed rushed. I enjoyed the company of our table mates, but I was traveling alone with a child, so it was nice to other adults to talk to. In your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to skip the main dining room.

TheWog
01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
No, you wouldn't be crazy. If that is what you would like to do go ahead. It will be fine.

kcashner
01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
If your reason for skipping the dining rooms is that you wish to be seated as just your family (whether that's 2 of you or 22), call DCL now and tell them that you wish to be seated alone. It will be noted on your reservation. Then you can go to dining changes on the first day and make sure you got it...if not, they will try to move you.

We've been seated as a pair many times...and also with some delightful groups.

PrincessDadx2
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
If you decide to skip then make sure you let your head waiter or someone know. We had a family on our last cruise that never showed up at our table and it took 4 nights of calls and messages before they finally confirmed that they were not going to use the dining rooms. Always nice to be courteous and avoid the hassle :thumbsup2

dizney-cruiser
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
If you choose to eat at Topsiders/Beach Blanket for dinner - I believe you order off a menu but would be seated by yourselves

OurDogCisco
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Personally, I would think it would be a waste of a cruise. To me cruising is about the dining rooms and the themes in there. Do you really want to missing animator's, etc? It sounds like you want to be alone why not just rent a beach house somewhere. A Disney cruise can be very crowded and while you won't be eating with people all the time there will be lots of people around. Cruises to me are about meeting new people and making new friends. We always meet someone new on our cruises. JMHO.

branv
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
After our first cruise, DH and I (no kids) decided to skip main dining on our next cruise. Glad we did! We didn't feel we were missing out on the food (found it cafeteria'ish), and we saved hours worth of time that would have been spent getting ready, then at dinner making small talk. It was a great cruise. And yes, we did prepay tips so that our servers would still be compensated.

However...

One issue I had was the reaction I had from the staff. When we boarded, we went to Wavebands to make our dining changes. I had early dining, so I wanted to a) let them know we wouldn't be there so they could give someone else our table...since early dining is in such high demand, and to b) make sure our serving staff would be told we wouldn't be there, not to wait for us, and that they would still be tipped. I sat down all smiley and chatty, assuming I was doing the right thing. But the reaction I received instead was irritation. On one hand, they definitely were doing the right thing to ask if there was a particular reason we didn't want to eat in the dining rooms, but rather than coming from a concerned place, they approached it in a rather annoyed, argumentative manner. Though how they managed to do that when I was very careful to NEVER say anything bad about the dining rooms, I don't know. I put it all on us: we enjoyed our past cruise, but this time we'd rather spend the time enjoying the ship than the hours at dinner, that we were shy with new people, that we didn't want to dress up this time, that the food we'd had before was good but we wanted to explore the other options and eat less, blah blah blah. I kept smiling at them, trying to make nice, they kept frowning at me with even an eye roll thrown in. Just odd experience all together, and totally unlike any I've had with the rest of the staff. I left feeling frustrated, which is a stinky way to start your cruise.

Would I go through that again? Yes, because the dining staff and our assigned table mates shouldn't have to be punished waiting for no-shows because I had a bad experience. But I'd be way firmer next time and stop trying to make friends.

jilljill
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
If you choose to eat at Topsiders/Beach Blanket for dinner - I believe you order off a menu but would be seated by yourselves

FYI to all: Topsiders and BBBuffet are closed the first and last night of all cruises.

jilljill
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks!

This is very doable on a 3 night cruise. YOu can eat at Palo the first or last night, eat at BBBuffet the 2nd night (the only night it will be open) and the night you don't eat at Palo do room service or quick serve locations.
Please do let your head server know you won't be using the seats in the dining room so the servers aren't waiting for you to sit down to start taking orders for the entire table.

LMCmom25kids
01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
If your reason for skipping the dining rooms is that you wish to be seated as just your family (whether that's 2 of you or 22), call DCL now and tell them that you wish to be seated alone. It will be noted on your reservation. Then you can go to dining changes on the first day and make sure you got it...if not, they will try to move you.

We've been seated as a pair many times...and also with some delightful groups.

We are a family of 7 (myself, dh, 5 children ages 16, 14, 11, 10, 6) we would also prefer to be seated alone. From the pics that I have seen, it appears that some of the tables are large round ones that might seat about 10, while others are very long banguet style tables lined up in rows. We rather not take the chance of having to sit at a table for 10, and feel obligated to chat and entertain another party of 2 or 3 people. Also, not thrilled with the idea of sitting at a long table with others seated right smack next to us. Don't mean to sound rude. Just really looking forward to dining with my family alone while enjoying our first Disney cruise. My husband is not much of a talker and when he and I were on our first cruise together, we were seated at a table with others that we had absolutely NOTHING in common with. We are both 42 with 5 kids and we were seated with a very young couple with a baby, another couple about 55 yrs old with grown kids, a senior citizen couple with grand children etc.... See what I mean? It's like we were all the left over people that they ddid't know what to do with, so they seated us all together! I read that cruise lines will try to seat you with others that might be more like you. I got stuck feeling awkward during long periods of silence.... I hated that! I felt as if I was the only social person there. Does anyone know "for sure" if they will accomodate our request? We would not be against sitting with others if we felt like we had more in common with them. With 5 children, I would not want to be sitting with say a couple that had no children or only one. We have actually got unsolicited rude comments from complete strangers before about "Why on earth would you want sooo many kids?" Uuuggh ! Now, that's rude.

jilljill
01-07-2010, 10:58 AM
We are a family of 7 (myself, dh, 5 children ages 16, 14, 11, 10, 6) we would also prefer to be seated alone. From the pics that I have seen, it appears that some of the tables are large round ones that might seat about 10, while others are very long banguet style tables lined up in rows. We rather not take the chance of having to sit at a table for 10, and feel obligated to chat and entertain another party of 2 or 3 people. Also, not thrilled with the idea of sitting at a long table with others seated right smack next to us. Don't mean to sound rude. Just really looking forward to dining with my family alone while enjoying our first Disney cruise. My husband is not much of a talker and when he and I were on our first cruise together, we were seated at a table with others that we had absolutely NOTHING in common with. We are both 42 with 5 kids and we were seated with a very young couple with a baby, another couple about 55 yrs old with grown kids, a senior citizen couple with grand children etc.... See what I mean? It's like we were all the left over people that they ddid't know what to do with, so they seated us all together! I read that cruise lines will try to seat you with others that might be more like you. I got stuck feeling awkward during long periods of silence.... I hated that! I felt as if I was the only social person there. Does anyone know "for sure" if they will accomodate our request? We would not be against sitting with others if we felt like we had more in common with them. With 5 children, I would not want to be sitting with say a couple that had no children or only one. We have actually got unsolicited rude comments from complete strangers before about "Why on earth would you want sooo many kids?" Uuuggh ! Now, that's rude.

With DCL a request is just that a request. There's no guarantee you will be granted your request, but with 7 people there's a good chance they will seat just your family at an 8 person table.

LMCmom25kids
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
With DCL a request is just that a request. There's no guarantee you will be granted your request, but with 7 people there's a good chance they will seat just your family at an 8 person table.

Thanks JillJill. I realize ther is no guarantee. Thanks for the info. Have a magical day! Not sure where you are exactly, but here in Michigan, we just got 25" over the New Years weekend and are getting dumped on again today! Sooo looking forward to a warm, sunny,:boat: Disney Cruise! Thanks again!

epcotrulz
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
We've been on four cruises, three with two of us, one with four -- only once were we seated with another couple (two of us and another couple).

Our upcoming Baltic cruise there is going to be five of us, what are the chances that we'll be alone at a table for six? I wouldn't mind being at a table for ten with another group of five or whatever, just curious.

BTW, the one time we did sit with another couple, they showed up in t-shirts and shorts to every meal, where we always put on at least a collared shirt, and they couldn't have been more "white bread/vanilla" type. It got old trying to have a conversation with people who frankly were just not that interesting and didn't know how to have a conversation . . . I started to feel like a talk show host asking them questions, they would answer you and than stop talking . . . we begged to be moved but the ship was full . . . fortunately we got some extra Palo ressies :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound mean, I know not everyone is as talkative and outgoing as me and my partner are, but it can get akward if one group likes to talk and the other group seems to prefer to sit in silence . . .:rolleyes1

KSandbergFL
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound mean, I know not everyone is as talkative and outgoing as me and my partner are, but it can get akward if one group likes to talk and the other group seems to prefer to sit in silence . . .:rolleyes1

With the dining rooms, your odds of being seated at a table with people you "click" with are probably 50/50 at best. We have only cruised 4 times, on 3-nt Wonder cruises (still "rookies" compared to some of you!), but we are 1-for-4 (25%) having tablemates that genuinely seemed to enjoy talking with us and sharing fun family stories. On one cruise, we were matched up with a family who tried their best to pretend we weren't there -- it was very uncomfortable and awkward.

We dutifully attended all the dining rooms, until our 3rd cruise. We got a "pixie dust" upgrade from a Cat 9 to a Cat 6 balcony room - our first balcony! We loved that balcony so much, we felt "obligated" to enjoy it as much as possible.... so one evening we ordered some room service and ate in our room. WOW! It was sooooo nice... to eat at our own pace... to not have to make polite conversation with people who don't really care who you are.... best of all, you can enjoy the endless sky over the beautiful ocean, and the cool ocean breezes, while you eat. You can even eat in your underwear (or naked!), if you want ;)

On our 4th cruise, we ate all our meals in the room, except for Triton's night (which happened to be the first night). Our table mates were "nice enough", but not so compelling to make us prefer to share our dinner time with them. It is just so much more convenient to walk up to Deck 9 and get some sandwiches or pizza, sodas, and chips, and eat when you feel like it. Plus, in my opinion the grilled salmon panini at Goofy's Galley is one of the tastiest items on the ship! My favorite memory from our last cruise (Sept 2009) is eating dinner with my sexy wife, alone out on our private (Cat 5) balcony, watching the sunset. Life just doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup2

nashville_minnie
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks!

Nope, not crazy at all. We skipped the dining room four out of seven nights this past trip - spent two wonderful evenings at Palo, tried out Topsiders to see what it was like, and then had room service one night (we were in a cat 9, so no balcony to enjoy :()

We are not the type of people who enjoy sitting for 2 hrs each evening in the main dining rooms - it just takes too much of a chunk of time out of the day. We don't drink wine & we don't really care to linger over so-so food. Our tablemates were nice enough people (we were at an 8 top with 3 other adult couples), but they did drink wine & the servers spent a great deal of time catering to that while we just sat there waiting to order. Also, I have noticed that if you do not have children at your table, the servers kind of prioritze you after those that do. We saw tables within our section finishing their dessert while we still had entrees on our table. It drove me bonkers.

The night we had room service, we ate BLTs in about 20 mins & then went to enjoy the pool & hot tub and had it all to ourselves - very relaxing. We just grabbed some pizza when we got hungry again. It was really one of the nicest parts of the trip.

It's great that DCL has so many options for those that don't really enjoy the dining room experience.

Beezymouse
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I've been reading the responses to this post with interest.

I too don't like the idea of being seated with strangers at dining. When I'm not with people I know I get very shy and easily embarrassed incase I look stupid or silly or don't undertand what people are talking about. (yeah ok so I'm a paranoid android) :) I'm not antisocial or against meeting new people I'm just comfortable when I'm with people I know.

It sounds childish, but I have a tendancy to "speak" through my husband when I'm with unfamiliar people and he just makes me laugh by speaking in his strongest Aberdonain accent that even I struggle to understand and I go into fits of giggles. I know I'm gonna get stressed out about having to make small talk with people I don't know. But at least I've got plenty time to work on it.

I do like the idea of sitting on a balcony with DH, just me and him and the waves enjoying a night to us - even if it is just only pizza and chips! lol

Now that the OP has put this idea out thereI will certainy consider it. I think I may also put in a seating request with DCL and see if I get it.

scootch
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
We just did a three day(myself and my two daughters, 7 and 10). The first day when you board we had a delicious buffet for lunch. We did not want to waste 2 hours at dinner and really did not need much food..... so we just got some wraps from plutos and pizza which was fine with the girls. Next day we spent at Atlantis.. got back to the ship, tired and just did room service(which was fine but did take over 30 min so be sure to call ahead). That night is pirate party so there is buffett of desserts at 9pm. Then the last night we requested our last night to be Animators Pallete so we could see the cool color changes and that was the only night we had the sit down meal(and it does last a good hour to hour and a half). In my opinion, it worked out absolutely fine for us. We had enough good food, but also had extra time to enjoy other things on the ship as the three day cruise just goes so quickly!!!!

epcotrulz
01-08-2010, 01:13 AM
i need to check out this salmon panini this summer -- and since we'll be on the ship for 12 nights, do a dinner on our balcony!!

MissMet
01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I have been on three dcl cruises as a party of 3. I called & requested having a private table & they said the didn't guarantee it. After getting on board I went to check if my request was met & all three cruises we were seated at our own table. While they don't guarantee it, if you're at the 2nd seating, I think you can be pretty much be guaranteed to get a private table. :thumbsup2

Call & make the request. When you get on board check the navigator for where & when they are making dining adjustments/palo reservations & ask if you got your request. If you didn't than go to the buffet, pluto's or room service, but if you did get your request, which I'm pretty sure you will, then enjoy your dinner- it's really a good part of the dcl experience, but not worth it if you feel uncomfortable sitting with strangers. :thumbsup2

anna08
01-16-2010, 03:24 PM
So glad to hear that we are not alone in our opinion of dining in the restaurants! On the Wonder we did not at all enjoy the process of dinner - waiting for late dining with little ones, then having it take two hours to complete the deal. Anyone who has a two year old knows that a two hour restaurant dinner is TORTURE. The kicker was that we felt the food was like wedding reception food and truly not worth the wait. We felt obligated to eat at the restaurants, but we have learned our lesson. Interestingly, the best-looking meals were one that a large group from India near us had - they spoke with the head server who I assume had the kitchen make some authentic Indian dishes. We will definitely experiment with the other options on our next cruise.

scrapbookingpro
02-24-2010, 12:42 PM
We are thinking of skipping the dining rooms this trip also. We have been before and we just don't want to put out 2 year old through the two hour dinners.
Does anyone know (specifically) what the food is like at the dinner buffet? Do they have a lot of options? Do they have good desserts, like in the restaurants?

NancyIL
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
My feeling is that one distinctive of a Disney cruise is the rotational dining, so I would encourage you to try the restaurants the first time you cruise. If it's because you don't want to sit with strangers, then request a table for 2. If you cruise again on DCL and choose not to eat in the dining rooms, so be it. If you just want to spend time alone together, you could do that on any cruise ship - and probably at a lower price!

dunbarfamily
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
I missed Triton's because I was seasick that night, but I wasn't that impressed with the other restaurants. The food was just okay and the dining rooms are crowded and noisy. Contrary to what everyone else reports, our service was not good. I don't know what was going on, but our servers weren't attentive and seemed rushed. I enjoyed the company of our table mates, but I was traveling alone with a child, so it was nice to other adults to talk to. In your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to skip the main dining room.

Not everyone else...we had poor service on our first cruise too. And I'm not demanding or anything, we just had poor service.

flash828
02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Think our next cruise we'll be skipping a few main dinners too (we have done 3). With the 4 of us it seems to take so long, we rather enjoy more of the boat than sit at a meal. One time we were a party of 13, it was almost bed time by the time we were finished.

Morty Fieldmouse
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
My wife and I are not big on talking to strangers either, but we enjoyed the dining rooms on our honemoon cruise. We were grouped with three other "couples." One couple had been married about 10 years, one couple was not married, and the last pair were just friends (1 guy, 1 girl, 1 stateroom); they explained it to the table, but didn't correct servers or other people who assumed they were a "couple." We had a good balance of conversations with the other couples and conversations between just the two of us. I loved the food and the service was great; we had second dining, which I imagine is less hectic which may lead to better service.

We took a 4-night cruise, so we got to experience all three dining rooms + Palo. Even though I've already seen it, I will not miss Animator's Palate whenever it comes time for cruise #2.

The best dinner conversation of the cruise was when the couple from Boston explained ice scrapers to the friends from Los Angeles... "You have to do that *every* morning?" "Usually. And again when you leave work."

smoof
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
No, you aren't crazy. We have talked about doing it ourselves to control the amount of food we eat. I know that will sound crazy to some people, but not sitting in the dining room and seeing everyone's dessert comming out, etc... will help us control our portions.

scrapbookworm
02-24-2010, 02:41 PM
We haven't sailed DCL yet, but we have sailed RCCL twice. The first one, 09/2001, DH and I were seated at a 4 top with another couple. We really enjoyed getting to know them. I remember their first names were Linda and Jeff. The 2nd cruise, 09/2003, DH, DD (age 3), and I were seated at a larger table with 2 other parties. One party consisted of half-drunk young adults. The other party was an older woman and maybe her 2 grandchildren. They only came to dinner once. So we just ignored the other people- clearly we had nothing in common with them. I'm not a people person either, so I'm curious to see what types of people we will be seated with on the Wonder in May.

jedijill
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I always sail solo. That is always an awkward experience being the "lone" person. What I've done is join my cruise meet thread and have always found a group of folks that I've "clicked" with. I've linked my reservation with theirs and am seated at that table. It's great because I already "know" these folks from chatting online and then I'm not stuck with strangers. I've made some very good friends this way.

Jill in CO

brewcrew
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I say if you're paying for it, you choose whatever makes you happy. We love the dinner at the restaraunts and have always requested a private table for our family of 6 and been granted that wish. They have such an abundance of food on that ship, you won't be lacking! Have fun!

has
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
For us the dinning experience was one of the highlights of our cruise. We were the only ones at our table. The best part was the view of the waves and sunsets. Our table was next to the window at Lumiere's and Parrot Cay. Beautiful, relaxing, quiet evenings. The food was excellent. The buffet is great for breakfast, but I would not want to eat there for dinner every night. I'm on a cruise and want to be pampered. I can go to a buffet at home and listen to the racket from the kitchen and the families with a 6 kids running from station to station. No Thanks!

Which ever you decide, you will have a great time on your cruise. Dining is just one of the many magical things to do on a Disney Cruise.

Happy Sailing
Heidi

Tarabra
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I enjoy the restaurants and I enjoy the process of "going to dinner" I also like having tablemates. On our last cruise we didn't have any and it was sort of boring. We've met some great people and even got together with some after the cruise. One couple was from Vegas and we met up w/ them when we were out there. They showed us some local things that we wouldn't have known about. Another couple was just married, he was from Belguim and she from Mexico City. Wow! What interesting people. We rented a car w/ them and spent the day at St. Maarten. Others were crew members at WDW, another man worked at NASA., another guy at the corporate office of Harley Davidson. One single mom w/ her daughter sent me a baby gift when my daughter was born. I was pregnant at the time. I keep in touch w/ some via email and facebook. The first night is a little awkward, but by the end of the cruise, it's like you've known each other forever. I like hearing what they did at the ports or if they are repeat cruisers, they may have suggestions for things they have done before that we could try at the next port. I DO find it awkward sitting w/ another family at the tables in Parrot Cay for lunch, but it's not like that for an hour and a half long dinner. I love it and wouldn't miss dinner in the dining rooms.

croppincolburn
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Room service sounds wonderfully decadent. Something we never do when it cost more than a tip. If the dining rooms aren't tempting to you I say skip them. Vacations should be relaxing and energizing. What ever you pick I hope you enjoy it lots and lots!

jilljill
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
We are thinking of skipping the dining rooms this trip also. We have been before and we just don't want to put out 2 year old through the two hour dinners.
Does anyone know (specifically) what the food is like at the dinner buffet? Do they have a lot of options? Do they have good desserts, like in the restaurants?

There is not a buffet set up dinner. They have a salad bar and dessert bar, but the main course is ordered off a menu which is similiar to the dining room menus. Also, Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet is not open the first and last night of the cruise.

Lake Rat
02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
How much do you tip for room service?

Olga
02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Just and FYI only those booked in Category 1 through 3 suites can have their supper from the assigned dining room delivered to their stateroom.

Cats 1-3 can order dinner for delivery from any of the 3 rotation restuarants regardless of the assigned rotation. All meals for that delivery must be ordered from the same restaurant, or you can eat from one then order again from another :laughing:
It used to be that you had to order from the rotation restaurant, the change was instituted approx mid 2009.

"In-suite dining from any of our rotation restaurants"
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/magic-wonder/suites/concierge-royal-suite-with-verandah/

DisneyCruiser83
02-25-2010, 02:04 AM
How much do you tip for room service?

Generally $1-$3 is customary.

chskover
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Has anyone that was cruising w/o children, requested that you not be seated with a family with little children? I love kids and soon will have two grandbabies, but would prefer to sit with families with either older children or couples for my first cruise.

has
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes. Call DCL and make the request. I did when we traveled with my 12 nephew. DCL arranged for a family of 4 boys to sit with us. We all had a blast. The two older boys and my nephew hung out together at the teen activities. It made it much easier as we had all met at dinner.

La2kw
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't skip Triton's, but Artist's Palette and Parrot Cay are definitely skippable.

cwby22
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
A question about tipping if your not going to be at dinner. If we prepay the tips at guest services, I know they give you the slips to hand to your servers, What if we didn't make it to dinner on the last night and weren't able to physically hand out the tip envelopes? I assume they still get the tip???

Morty Fieldmouse
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Has anyone that was cruising w/o children, requested that you not be seated with a family with little children? I love kids and soon will have two grandbabies, but would prefer to sit with families with either older children or couples for my first cruise.

They try not to seat couples and families together, so even without putting in a special request you will most likely be seated with other adults.
I would think making a special request not to be seated with children would pretty much guarantee it (as much as a request can be guaranteed).

Tarabra
02-25-2010, 12:16 PM

I was going to say the same as the above poster. We cruised 5 times as adults. Only one time were seated at a table w/ ONLY adults, and that was a table of 14. All the other cruises, we had a single parent w/ 1 child. The kids were always well behaved. We always did late seating and had LAP rotation. I think they kept the kids to a minimum in that rotation.