PDA

View Full Version : What if you prepay tips and then cancel?

lbuher
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I sure HOPE nothing would cause us to have to cancel, but one of the reasons I've been hesitant to prepay the tips is the remote possibility that we won't even make it onto the ship. If I prepay and then we have to cancel, do the tips get credited back to my credit card fairly quickly?

If I DO go ahead and prepay (with my Disney Visa), then I will have two more dream dollars to use onboard! :cool1: Every little bit helps!

Andrew DEREK UK
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I sure HOPE nothing would cause us to have to cancel, but one of the reasons I've been hesitant to prepay the tips is the remote possibility that we won't even make it onto the ship. If I prepay and then we have to cancel, do the tips get credited back to my credit card fairly quickly?

If I DO go ahead and prepay (with my Disney Visa), then I will have two more dream dollars to use onboard! :cool1: Every little bit helps!

I think its best to ask DCL this or your TA.

It can be either,, a refund or claim on trip insurance. I would *guess* as not cruise cost you would get it back and if so they are fast on the credit card.

kcashner
01-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Pre-paying your tips is the same as making a deposit into your onboard account. If you have placed the money there and cancel the cruise, it is refunded. However...if you are worried, you might wait till 30 days before sailing or even less before you pre-pay the tips! The money on your account will be refunded to the same person and in the same form as it was placed there; if you put it on a Visa, you will get a Visa credit. Money in the account from a TA will be refunded to the TA (as in when they give you an onboard credit as a thanks for booking).

TraciM
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Dumb question, but how do you go about pre paying your tips?

kcashner
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Call DCL if you booked directly or your TA if you used one. Tell them that you wish to pre-pay the standard tips and give them your credit card number.

You'll get tip coupons in your stateroom which are perforated. 1/2 goes in the envelope to the CM, 1/2 is for your records. Do be sure that the name on the ticket is the name of the person who served you. Andrew has reported that it doesn't matter as DCL has a "back up" sort of system--if a CM presents a ticket that is not in his/her name to his manager, he will get credit for it; however, it just makes sense to have the correct person's name on the ticket if DCL prints them wrong.

lbuher
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
It just occurred to me that between my OBC and my Dream Dollars from my Disney Visa, I will have almost enough to pay the tips, and we don't plan on spending much onboard, so I don't think it would be wise to put the tips on my credit card and then have OBC or Dream Dollars left over at the end of the cruise. Is it possible to prepay tips with the OBC and Dream Rewards card? Or am I simply better off waiting to pay them until we are onboard if that's how I will be mostly paying our onboard account?

Thanks....

Andrew DEREK UK
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
It just occurred to me that between my OBC and my Dream Dollars from my Disney Visa, I will have almost enough to pay the tips, and we don't plan on spending much onboard, so I don't think it would be wise to put the tips on my credit card and then have OBC or Dream Dollars left over at the end of the cruise. Is it possible to prepay tips with the OBC and Dream Rewards card? Or am I simply better off waiting to pay them until we are onboard if that's how I will be mostly paying our onboard account?

Thanks....

You cant prepay from a TA OBC, that will be credited on embarkation to your account, but then you can instruct Guest services to charge TIP.s

kcashner
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
AD is exactly right. You can go to Guest Services at any time during the cruise and instruct them to bill the tips to your onboard account. The first money they will use will be any onboard credit, next any reward dollars, gift cards, etc. and then finally bill any overage to your credit card (or however else you have indicated that you will handle the account.)

GS tends to be busy on the first day and toward the end of the cruise. I usually stop down on day 2 and do the tips using the OBC and reward dollars.