PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch Viewing

cervonime
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
DH and I will be at the World in Feb. for a shuttle launch. He has always wanted to see a launch and was hoping to get tickets, but no luck. Does anyone know of locations near Kennedy Space Center for shuttle viewing?

Disbound
01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Way back when I went down to Cocoa Beach on a side trip from Orlando and if I remember correctly it is near Cape Canaveral.. maybe their Chamber of Commerce might be able to direct you? Not really sure how close it is by looking at the map but maybe.... good luck!

Janet Hill
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah I was working 2 computers and two phones when they went on sale this morning and had no luck in getting the causeway tickets.

Halle
01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
When is the launch?

dgaston
01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
We view launches (finally saw one launch on our third try) from what I think is now a comfort inn in Titusville. It's across the Indian River from Canaveral. They charge about $20 to park and you can use their facilities, pool and bathrooms, bar, and sandwiches. Locals sell pins, tshirts in the lobby. Others like Jetty Park, too.

Good luck -- it was on my husband's bucket list. Took us 3 tries to see one launch, but it's worth it.

kksmom92
01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
We were able to watch a launch a couple years ago and are debating on watching the Feb one too since we will be down there. I'm just not sure due to how early it's taking off. We'll see...

Anyways when we went we watched it by the Space View Park in Titusville! It was straight across from where the shuttle goes up and it's free! We got there really early to get a close parking spot and then actually watched it take off in the empty field to the right (if you are standing on the road looking at the park) of the park as there were less people and we had a great view.

My only piece of advice... beware of the drive back to Orlando. Maybe it will be different being what time this one is suppose to take off, but when we watched the one a couple years ago it took off around 5 something pm and it ended up taking us 3 hours to get home. It was slow bummer to bummer all the way to the airport... needless to say it was a LONG ride back, but we would still do it again because what's the chances of ever seeing another one take off?!?

jpeppers
01-10-2010, 04:29 AM
We pulled over on the highway outside of Cocoa Beach. It was free and there was someone doing a count down and concessions being sold. We were a few miles away but still a great experience. The Highway Patrol even stopped all traffic during the launch. Traffic was pretty heavy heading back towards Orlando for a couple of miles bgut then cleared out. The launch is an awesome experience.

DVCconvert
01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
We pulled over on the highway outside of Cocoa Beach. It was free and there was someone doing a count down and concessions being sold. We were a few miles away but still a great experience. The Highway Patrol even stopped all traffic during the launch. Traffic was pretty heavy heading back towards Orlando for a couple of miles bgut then cleared out. The launch is an awesome experience.

That sounds like the westbound side of the Bennett Causeway -- a great place to watch a launch from, especially if you're headed back to Orlando as you don't have to cross lanes. Lots of locals go there but so long as you're there about 1 hour in advance, you should find a place.

HTH

daannzzz
01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I was staying at Coronado Springs Resort when there was a planned launch on my scheduled day off. It was an early morning launch and I would need to get up at 3:00 to get there. I was warned by a couple people that I coule spend all the time and then the launch be scrubbed so I decided to just get up and watch it from the resort. It was scrubbed two mornings in a row!!!! The third morning it launched and I watched it from the 4th floor of the Casitas. It was awesome to see as the sun was rising but I am sure it is not anything like being there on the coast. Just be aware that you could spend a lot of time on this and then it not happen. I think I would rather plan a trip to see a launch and then work the theme park visits in around that. :)

dgaston
01-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I do want to add to the cautions about return traffic. Each of the three times we attended launches or supposed-to-be launches traffic did take about 3 hours to return to WDW. We found eating dinner on the Space Coast helped ease the wait.

iwrbnd
01-11-2010, 08:33 AM
We're hoping to see the one in March. It's scheduled to launch around 1:00 pm. What time should we leave Orlando to get a good parking place???