PDA

View Full Version : Rodeway Inn I-Drive's Credit Card Policy

MIChessGuy
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I'll be staying at the Rodeway Inn I-Drive this month, having snagged a pretty good rate at travelzoo.com, and I was wondering whether this property puts a "hold" or "block" on the guest's credit card. In the past I have been surprised to find that my hotel blocked $300 or even as much as $500 on my credit card for the duration of my stay. I'll be calling them, of course, but sometimes what they say and what they do don't match up.

pmiranda
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, I've never stayed there, but most hotels due put a hold on your card. I've never stayed anywhere they haven't done this.

Beccabunny
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Is the hold normally put on your card when you check in, or when you reserve?

MIChessGuy
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I suppose the hold would be imposed upon check-in, since the hotel doesn't run any risk of the room being trashed or big pay-per-view bills being run up until the guest is actually there. I saw an interesting variation on this today, in which a resort in Davenport would let you pay a nonrefundable $39 fee in exchange for the hotel not putting a hold on your credit card! That struck me as simultaneously obnoxious and amusing, for some reason. I'd guess it is partly a reaction to people (like myself) becoming more sensitive to the annoyance these holds create in the current economic climate. That's one thing the Disney resorts have going for them: they do not place an involuntary "hold" or "block" on a guest's credit/debit card, ever. Also I believe Motel 6 does not do that; maybe the logic in that case is that if you trash the room, it'll be hard to tell the difference anyway. ;)