PDA

View Full Version : Do people actually "camp" in Fort Wilderness?

randoymwords
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Not to be rude to all the fine citizens out there who own RV's, but do people still camp at Fort Wilderness the old-fashioned way? My fiance and I were thinking about backpacking to the park one year to save money (no, not for our honeymoon), but are under the impression that it's not a suitable thing anymore.

Lyndria
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Not to be rude to all the fine citizens out there who own RV's, but do people still camp at Fort Wilderness the old-fashioned way? My fiance and I were thinking about backpacking to the park one year to save money (no, not for our honeymoon), but are under the impression that it's not a suitable thing anymore.

We saw a lot of tent campers when we went in October. We are in a pop-up, which I also consider "real camping".

BRDof3
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
As long as you hit all the lights green through Gary, you shouldn't have any trouble backpacking down to the Fort. Watch for the speed traps in Tennessee, though.

_Athena_
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
My DH and I "camped" this Dec in a tent....granted it was a medieval canvas tent....but we camped!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/watzek/4215100592/in/set-72157623070776562/

clkelley
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Tent camping at Fort Wilderness is really fun!!

However, if you are truly backpacking (as in hiking in), that is not allowed. The sides of the roads around Disney are not meant for walking and security will pick you up.

MagicalKingdom
01-06-2010, 02:26 AM

However, if you are truly backpacking (as in hiking in), that is not allowed. The sides of the roads around Disney are not meant for walking and security will pick you up.

" Yah, I agree to clkelley!...Walking in the sides of the roads around Disney is prohibited!...:dance3: :banana: :woohoo:

Born 2 Fish
01-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Umm, I mean, yes, people really do still camp at FW the old-fashioned way.
I usta camp "the old-fashioned way" in years past and enjoyed it,,dont think the present body could do that anymore.

If you are hiking straight into Disney, when you get close to Disney grab a cab and let the taxi shuttle you to the Fort,,no problem, :thumbsup2

ob1quixote
01-06-2010, 06:08 AM

But it would be quite easy to catch a Disney transport bus to FW at Downtown Disney [which is on public streets]

Ride the bus to FW Reception, check in, ride a bus to your loop, done! And no interactions with the Disney PoPo!

Hike On!

des1954
01-06-2010, 06:15 AM
You're going to walk 1150 miles? Is there a purpose behind that besides saving $$$ - like walking for a cause? If so, I admire you. If no cause - well - just think of all the rich desserts you can have at WDW!! :thumbsup2

But in answer to your original question....a LOT of people tent camp at FtW.

Born 2 Fish
01-06-2010, 06:29 AM
You're going to walk 1150 miles? Is there a purpose behind that besides saving $$$ - like walking for a cause? If so, I admire you. If no cause - well - just think of all the rich desserts you can have at WDW!! :thumbsup2

But in answer to your original question....a LOT of people tent camp at FtW.

Ooooo desserts ! Mmmmm and Disney does have some good ones, :thumbsup2
Almost everywhere you look theres something sweet for the palate .

DaveInTN
01-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I actually think the Fort is one of the more "diverse" campgrounds we've been to in that regard. In the real world, we find that the more rustic campgrounds like on Federal lands and the less developed COE parks are full of tents, with some popups and TT's. Not too many fivers or MH's. We used to camp primarily at such parks.

After we got our MH a few years ago for the purpose of traveling further, we have found that we typically stay at more developed parks. We are at a point in life right now where we prefer the comforts. These parks are frequented by MH's and Fivers, with some TT's and very few tents.

At the Fort, we find ALL types of camping units spread throughout the various loops. Disney HAD done a good job of offering different loop types to appeal to these various campers...unfortunately they are now offering too many "Premium" sites IMO but there are still loops where you will find mostly tents and pups.

BTW, the more "rustic" camping is still my preferred way to camp. DW enjoys the creature comforts now days however. And you know what they say. If Mama ain't happy.....;)

John VN
01-06-2010, 07:19 AM

Truthfully, I cannot recall ever seeing a person sleeping in a bedroll without a tent like the old fashioned way, if this is what you are referring to. Not even sure if this would be allowed.

As far as walking into FW, walk on the grass off the edge of the road and go for it. If security stops you simply tell them you have reservations at FW and I am sure they will give you a ride there. That would be a story to tell folks :thumbsup2.

P.S. I just called FW and they said one could sleep in a bed roll, just need a resservation.

Born 2 Fish
01-06-2010, 07:26 AM
My next trip to the Fort, I'm just gonna bring a lawn chair, a fishing pole and a clean pair of underwear, :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

DaveInTN
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
My next trip to the Fort, I'm just gonna bring a lawn chair, a fishing pole and a clean pair of underwear, :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Skip the chair and the underwear. That way you will have room to pack some beer.

Born 2 Fish
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Skip the chair and the underwear. That way you will have room to pack some beer.

Dang Dave,,guess I wasnt think'n this thru, thanx fer the advice, :thumbsup2

BradyBz12
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
We've seen everything from people camping in their cars to 1 person tents to boats to million dollar MH at the Fort. All are welcome! :flower3:

If it were me, I'd at least want a tent to avoid sharing my sleeping bag with an armadillo. ;)

ftwildernessguy
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Whenever I go to FW, I put the wife in the trailer and then I hit the woods - leave my clothes in a pile by the comfort station and live off the land for a week. I appreciate all my friends who leave crockpots of food out for me - real hospitable like. Those big chipmunks that appear every night kinda freak me out, if you know what I mean.

liv luvs disney
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM

:rotfl2: OH LORDY!!!!! :rotfl2:

BradyBz12
01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Whenever I go to FW, I put the wife in the trailer and then I hit the woods - leave my clothes in a pile by the comfort station and live off the land for a week. I appreciate all my friends who leave crockpots of food out for me - real hospitable like. Those big chipmunks that appear every night kinda freak me out, if you know what I mean.

And all the time we were there we thought we were seeing Big Foot lurking in the woods! :lmao:

RocklandRVers
01-06-2010, 12:22 PM

YUCK YUCK! Seen dem biguns! Granny would love to skin dem suckers and cook em up with some greens. Now thats eatin'. You know besides them cement yards they rent ya, they even got a great big cement pond. YEAH! Sometimes weyans goes down to da cement pond to warsh off for supper. It must hold all that water from crick that runs around the general store. I think dem Disney dudes run some pipes to it and fill up dat big ole tank to keep her filled. They even got a smaller cement pond that they let them gassy folks sit in. It sure does bubble when theyans are passin that butt air. Oh and I hear they are makin one for them cabin folks by their swimmin hole. Must be they was plannin on servin more beans up to the tavern maybe. mmmmm mmmm mmmmm :scared1:

tellnotails
01-06-2010, 12:43 PM

They still do but are a ever shrinking minority........there is camping and there is RVing lifestyle.......

camping

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/tellnotails/2009DIYmuledeer004.jpg

rving

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u44/nalampng/motorhome.jpg

you will find rving to be the most dominate at the fort with class A leading the field as you would expect from a $100+ a nite resort...

how many pounds do you carry on your frame pack??

Born 2 Fish
01-06-2010, 12:54 PM
YUCK YUCK! Seen dem biguns! Granny would love to skin dem suckers and cook em up with some greens. Now thats eatin'. You know besides them cement yards they rent ya, they even got a great big cement pond. YEAH! Sometimes weyans goes down to da cement pond to warsh off for supper. It must hold all that water from crick that runs around the general store. I think dem Disney dudes run some pipes to it and fill up dat big ole tank to keep her filled. They even got a smaller cement pond that they let them gassy folks sit in. It sure does bubble when theyans are passin that butt air. Oh and I hear they are makin one for them cabin folks by their swimmin hole. Must be they was plannin on servin more beans up to the tavern maybe. mmmmm mmmm mmmmm :scared1:

dajuss no wayz dat uooz ken maek me bleve wit talk lak dat dat uoo is frum NEW YORK,,
it juss aint nat'troll .

AuburnJen92
01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Don't forget to use stall #2

BRDof3
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
"Book Herder" is the best thing you could think of? If you are going to play "Let's Pretend" at least you could get creative. Make it worth our while.

kskone
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
For all those people who want to take off all there clothes and leave them in a pile and live off the land at the fort GO AHEAD I DARE YOU!!! with temps in the 30s and 20s tonight... I have one word for you shrinkage! and I think you can figure it out, And good luck your going to need it! K.:lmao:

freshlybarked
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM

That was you that ate my stew. I blamed it on the armadillos running around. I owe them an apology. Thank God you missed the beer in the cooler we marked dirty laundry.:rotfl2:

randoymwords
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
"Book Herder" is the best thing you could think of? If you are going to play "Let's Pretend" at least you could get creative. Make it worth our while.

But I AM a book herder! I move the lil' critters around the store all day. You think they just line up on the shelf on their own?

randoymwords
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Heh. Great answers all around, thanks.

I hadn't thought about how that question looked when I posted it. I suppose it would take up all my vacation time to walk to Orlando, but there'd probably be a good travel book in it.
The "realistic" course would be to check in a backpack tent as luggage and fly down.

What it comes down to is that neither one of us drive, but we both love Fort Wilderness. We ended up spending more time there than at our resort last time. Rocking chairs and conversation after dinner! If only Disney would put in non-family size cabins...

Hurm. Can one eat the armadillos?

randoymwords
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I meant this to be a response to Tellnotails. Oops.
They still do but are a ever shrinking minority........there is camping and there is RVing lifestyle.......

camping

rving

you will find rving to be the most dominate at the fort with class A leading the field as you would expect from a $100+ a nite resort...

how many pounds do you carry on your frame pack??

Actually, my sister, who is a re-enacter, is the one with all the equipment. I wanted to see if it was a viable option before picking out a suitable tent. Since I wouldn't be actually hiking with it, my options would be different. We don't drive, and my fiance has bad feet, so all our hiking is usually in the one-day range.

Born 2 Fish
01-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Heh. Great answers all around, thanks.
. Can one eat the armadillos?

Sure ! They make great BBQ. And while your there try the giant hissing cockroaches, really good with a little teriyaki sauce,,Mmmmm Disney eat'ns at its finest,,,
course ya havta catch it yourself.

stacktester
01-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I meant this to be a response to Tellnotails. Oops.

Actually, my sister, who is a re-enacter, is the one with all the equipment. I wanted to see if it was a viable option before picking out a suitable tent. Since I wouldn't be actually hiking with it, my options would be different. We don't drive, and my fiance has bad feet, so all our hiking is usually in the one-day range.

Just put the backpack on your fiance and carry her piggyback. The exercise will do you good and you will sleep better on the coquina at night since you won't have any quality camping items in your backpack. To hell with the comfort stations, just bathe in the hose and use a tree for facilities. Heck, when you get there don't even check in, just go thru and find a nice wooded area and throw down the 3 or 4 things you hiked in. Let me guess, your precious fiance has a bad back too and the backpack will hurt her. Am I right?

ftwildernessguy
01-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Colston????? Is that you?????

Jasperann
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
You guys really crack me up with your banter. :rotfl::rotfl:

BRDof3
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Just put the backpack on your fiance and carry her piggyback. The exercise will do you good and you will sleep better on the coquina at night since you won't have any quality camping items in your backpack. To hell with the comfort stations, just bathe in the hose and use a tree for facilities. Heck, when you get there don't even check in, just go thru and find a nice wooded area and throw down the 3 or 4 things you hiked in. Let me guess, your precious fiance has a bad back too and the backpack will hurt her. Am I right?

:rotfl2:

BradyBz12
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
But I AM a book herder! I move the lil' critters around the store all day. You think they just line up on the shelf on their own?

I've got a few of these you can use to herd stuff...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4160665773_f5c2caf1f5.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3876014954_506ec0175e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3724765547_7ed9bb1d07.jpg

As you can see, right now they're just wasting their time playing silly games to amuse us... and learning to fly ;)

ftwildernessguy
01-07-2010, 11:36 AM
My beagle says border collies don't have a long enough attention span to herd books.

BradyBz12
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Ah, too true.... but they're probably smart enough to read them. :rotfl: :lmao:

Although the other night Brady (middle pic) stared at DH for 45 minutes without moving when he knew he had a bag of trout flavored dog biscuits. :magnify:

ftwildernessguy
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I bet those trout flavored biscuits are good with a cold beer.

BRDof3
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I bet those trout flavored biscuits are good with a cold beer.

I prefer catfish biscuits with beer. Trout needs a good white wine. Or is that whine? "Daddy, I want to go to the mall." :cutie:

BradyBz12
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
:lmao: :rotfl2:

Born 2 Fish
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Ah, too true.... but they're probably smart enough to read them. :rotfl: :lmao:

Although the other night Brady (middle pic) stared at DH for 45 minutes without moving when he knew he had a bag of trout flavored dog biscuits. :magnify:

Heck,,I'm with Jim,, I wouldnt mind try'n them trout biscuts with a cold beer, :thumbsup2

DaveInTN
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I like my trout biscuits with a nice cold perch beer.

BradyBz12
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Here ya go...

http://www.northernbiscuit.ca/product_pics/smoked_trout_rice_blueberry_lg.jpg

jaydhelms
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes! Our family of 5 did it for 3 days last Sept. Personally, I loved it for the following reasons:
1) You can't beat the cost. (But be absolutely certain you reservation is for a tent-only site, to get the best price)
2) The set-up, amenities and facilities are as good as any tent camping experience I've ever had. I didn't feel grimy or dirty.
3) It is a really beautiful setting for camping. It feels 1st class all the way.

I want to be sure to recommend that if you tent camp - be absolutely certain to do 3 things:
1) Insist on Getting a site on the inner loop within the loop you're staying at! Less light and noise from buses.
2) Take a 'noise maker' machine with you to drown out any noise/sound from outside the tent.
3) Set up a tarp that covers your tent, but extends out past the tent, so that if it rains, you still have somewhere to be, besides just in the tent if it rains. And if it rains, it's not typically a long downpour.

ElementCamper
01-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes they do! This was a mother/daughter across from me while I was there the second week of December.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/ElementCamper/PC080723.jpg

There were quite a few tents in the 2000 loop, this was the smallest of the bunch though!:thumbsup2

mrzrich
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Here's a thread on packing so that you can fly and tent camp.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1148474&highlight=tent+flying+packing

You may also want to consider shipping some items ahead of time.

shocker
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Yep, we really do and at the end of 2008 I succeeded at my first fly-n-camp experiment. I used the disboards to help me out and I combined the most-technologically advanced transportation with the most-primitive of sleeping quarters and had a great time doing. Just reading my diary from that trip today. Great to revisit that trip!

FlaFortCampster
01-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Truthfully, I cannot recall ever seeing a person sleeping in a bedroll without a tent like the old fashioned way, if this is what you are referring to. Not even sure if this would be allowed.

As far as walking into FW, walk on the grass off the edge of the road and go for it. If security stops you simply tell them you have reservations at FW and I am sure they will give you a ride there. That would be a story to tell folks :thumbsup2.

P.S. I just called FW and they said one could sleep in a bed roll, just need a resservation.

There's been a couple of times I've seen a few people on the ground sleeping with no tents.....there always seemed to be beer cans close by too. Maybe there was a connection???? :confused3

BradyBz12
01-09-2010, 09:36 AM
There's been a couple of times I've seen a few people on the ground sleeping with no tents.....there always seemed to be beer cans close by too. Maybe there was a connection???? :confused3

I recommend at least getting yourself on to the picnic table to avoid waking up face to face with this...

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/gallery/armadillo013.jpg

Lovely Style
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM

ftwildernessguy
01-10-2010, 07:29 AM

That's one way to get a free ride to FW.

Born 2 Fish
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM

I'm pretty sure that the beer cans are used as landing markers.

RocklandRVers
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/gallery/armadillo013.jpg

Granny says these is good eatin'. Sort of a cross between turtle and possum. I am more sophisticated. I wonder what kind of wine. A good Boones Farm Apple? :rotfl2:

BradyBz12
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Granny says these is good eatin'. Sort of a cross between turtle and possum. I am more sophisticated. I wonder what kind of wine. A good Boones Farm Apple? :rotfl2:

I prefer strawberry :rotfl:

Wicket's Mom
01-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, I don't have a RV, but my marquis would look pretty good set up at FW. Re enactors know what kind of tent that is. Somewhat like the medieval tent. :woohoo:

GoofyGoober
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I love the wilderness lodge, but I think if I were to go camping, I would do it some place more authentic. When I go to disney, I go for the glitz and the polish, not nature. The disney compound is kinda swampy, imo.

clkelley
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I love the wilderness lodge, but I think if I were to go camping, I would do it some place more authentic. When I go to disney, I go for the glitz and the polish, not nature. The disney compound is kinda swampy, imo.

Well, that's about as authentic as it gets!! The entire Disney property is a swamp!!!!

That is the NUMBER ONE reason why there are so many lakes, ponds, and waterways around the property. Not because it looks good for the guests, but to give someplace for the swampwater to go to keep some of the land dry.

ftwildernessguy
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM

Good enough for me - guess I'll never camp there again.

Born 2 Fish
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Well then if I were you I reck'n I wouldnt go camping at Disney.
Never.
Ever.
No way.
Not at all.
Nope.
Wouldnt even consider it.

BRDof3
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Good enough for me - guess I'll never camp there again.

Dang, there goes my only reason for camping there. Gatordad and FW Guy both giving up the Fort, where are we gonna find the booze now? :sad1:

ftwildernessguy
01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, you know what, I started thinking of some of the places I have had to "camp" and they were pretty "authentic." My guess is somebody would probably cry for their momma if they were there. I figure I've done my time and can now afford to "camp" someplace a little less "authentic" so what the heck - I think I'll go camping at the Fort again, even if it is a little swampy, imo. ;)

rock_doctor
01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
My DH and I "camped" this Dec in a tent....granted it was a medieval canvas tent....but we camped!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/watzek/4215100592/in/set-72157623070776562/

That rocks! Camping with style. :thumbsup2

clkelley
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Didn't I say that at the beginning of this thread???? :confused3

DaveInTN
01-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Well, you know what, I started thinking of some of the places I have had to "camp" and they were pretty "authentic." My guess is somebody would probably cry for their momma if they were there. I figure I've done my time and can now afford to "camp" someplace a little less "authentic" so what the heck - I think I'll go camping at the Fort again, even if it is a little swampy, imo. ;)
Good to hear Jim. Would you be so kind as to let me share your swampy site with you? I really just want to use the pool, and let my kids ride their bikes. :rotfl2:

BradyBz12
01-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Good to hear Jim. Would you be so kind as to let me share your swampy site with you? I really just want to use the pool, and let my kids ride their bikes. :rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl::worship:

that thread will never die.....

DaveInTN
01-17-2010, 07:15 AM
:lmao::rotfl::worship:

that thread will never die.....
Not if I don't let it.... :rotfl:

Beavers5
01-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the echo in here. :thumbsup2

ftwildernessguy
01-17-2010, 08:24 AM

I'll be sure not to smoke and I'll disappear whenever you are around.

AuburnJen92
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Dang, there goes my only reason for camping there. Gatordad and FW Guy both giving up the Fort, where are we gonna find the booze now? :sad1:

It has all been transferred to my site, you may come and consume at will.:thumbsup2

AuburnJen92
01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll be sure not to smoke and I'll disappear whenever you are around.

And can you park your car in the overflow so I can park my car in the site spot?:lmao:

BRDof3
01-17-2010, 12:26 PM
It has all been transferred to my site, you may come and consume at will.:thumbsup2

I don't know if you can even fit all that in a single site, but I'll be there as soon as I can, just to find out. :lmao:

AuburnJen92
01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
You would be surprised how much can be packed on one site!:rotfl2:

auntie
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Jeeze, Thanks Jen. Good to know someone will be taking up the slack for the fiends that are giving up camping. I was getting nervous there for a minute. Fort Fiends giving up camping :eek:..and I haven't even made it to a Grand Gathering yet. :mad:

Bob's says we're getting our trailer to FW there this year. We've had the thing for damn near 10 years. He says he doesn't care if the sides split apart while we're driving down on I-95..he's getting us to the Fort! :rotfl:

Hoping for a better year so we can make it! Oh..Swamps and all!

Born 2 Fish
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM

why yes,,yes you did, :thumbsup2

freshlybarked
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM

When I think of a great vacation I think of FW. When I think of camping I think of nature. Where else can you mix the two so beautifully. I was sitting outside one morning early in Loop 300 on the water and across the creek were deer. So beautiful. Then a wild turkey walked by the site to the front. An hour later I was in a park riding rides. What better vacation can anyone have.:rotfl2:

Born 2 Fish
01-18-2010, 05:04 AM
When I think of a great vacation I think of FW. When I think of camping I think of nature. Where else can you mix the two so beautifully. I was sitting outside one morning early in Loop 300 on the water and across the creek were deer. So beautiful. Then a wild turkey walked by the site to the front. An hour later I was in a park riding rides. What better vacation can anyone have.:rotfl2:

Oh come on ! You dont expect me to believe that do you !?!?!

DaveInTN
01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Are you saying there's a park near the Fort?? When I camped at the Fort, all I saw was swamps. :confused3

AuburnJen92
01-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Are you saying there's a park near the Fort?? When I camped at the Fort, all I saw was swamps. :confused3

Don't forget all the gators that eat the dogs too.

Jasperann
01-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Don't forget all the gators that eat the dogs too.

Good thing we are leaving the dog at home this trip! :lmao: Hope the gators stay away from my kids. :laughing:

Born 2 Fish
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Love them Disney gators !
Ya aint lived til ya rangled a Disney gator in the swamp,:banana:

Born 2 Fish
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Love them Fort gators !
Ya aint lived til ya rangled a Fort gator in the swamp,:banana:

Jasperann
01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Love them Fort gators !
Ya aint lived til ya rangled a Fort gator in the swamp,:banana: