PDA

View Full Version : Pre cruise emails from dcl

mmouse37
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Our first cruise coming up since DCL has started communicating with pre cruise info via email.....

I got this one today and I surprised to see that they request no jeans at dinner again. I know that for awhile it seemed to be accepted but now it says to please not wear jeans or shorts at dinner.

I do not want this to turn into a debate....I only post it to inform people that policy may have changed again and to help them with packing. We are going on the Wonder, if that makes a difference.
--------------------------------------------------

Magic is about to happen! Your Disney cruise is right on the horizon. To keep everything sailing smoothly, we thought you might like a quick checklist of all the things there are to do to make sure your dream cruise is as enchanting as possible.
Cruise To-Do's:
• Ground Transfers. They're the easiest, most convenient way to get you from the airport to your Disney ship. There's still time to book yours.
Packing for Paradise. Here are a few tips on things to bring. For more details, be sure to refer to the Planning Center.
Days
• Casual wear (shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans)
• Comfortable shoes (sandals, sneakers, boat shoes)
• Beach and pool wear (swimsuits, wraps, t-shirts)
Evenings
• Don’t forget a jacket or sweater. Yes, it’s the tropics, but the nights can be a bit breezy.
• Nice dining attire (no jeans or shorts at dinner, please)
• Optional formal attire
• Themed attire is welcome for Pirates IN The Caribbean night.
Include even more enchantment
Special surprises. Add an extra touch of magic to your voyage—from sweet treats and wonderful wines to delightful decorations and more.
Vista Spa & Salon. Include ultimate relaxation on your vacation. Schedule a session at our acclaimed spa...rated among the top 5 at sea by Condé Nast Traveler magazine readers.
Port Adventures. Explore the shore! Each adventure has been chosen by us to showcase the wonders in our ports of call. But favorites can fill up quickly. Book yours before you sail at the Planning Center.

Bolding by me.

MJ

trwprid
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
How far out is your cruise? The only emails we've received so far have been sort of like marketing emails.

kcashner
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Interesting...didn't get anything like this for our December sailing, and haven't gotten anything yet for our April cruise.

ljcrochet
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I just got the same email for my upcoming Magic sailing.

Copperline
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I got it too. We sail 1/14. I'm not concerned though, I highly doubt they'll deny my husband or Dad if they walk in with jeans on.

hgon76
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Got an email today from DCL for our upcoming cruise on January 16th! It's nice they started doing this. It makes it that much more exciting!

disney1990
01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Our first cruise coming up since DCL has started communicating with pre cruise info via email.....

I got this one today and I surprised to see that they request no jeans at dinner again. I know that for awhile it seemed to be accepted but now it says to please not wear jeans or shorts at dinner.

I do not want this to turn into a debate....I only post it to inform people that policy may have changed again and to help them with packing. We are going on the Wonder, if that makes a difference.
--------------------------------------------------

Magic is about to happen! Your Disney cruise is right on the horizon. To keep everything sailing smoothly, we thought you might like a quick checklist of all the things there are to do to make sure your dream cruise is as enchanting as possible.
Cruise To-Do's:
• Ground Transfers. They're the easiest, most convenient way to get you from the airport to your Disney ship. There's still time to book yours.
Packing for Paradise. Here are a few tips on things to bring. For more details, be sure to refer to the Planning Center.
Days
• Casual wear (shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans)
• Comfortable shoes (sandals, sneakers, boat shoes)
• Beach and pool wear (swimsuits, wraps, t-shirts)
Evenings
• Don’t forget a jacket or sweater. Yes, it’s the tropics, but the nights can be a bit breezy.
• Nice dining attire (no jeans or shorts at dinner, please)
• Optional formal attire
• Themed attire is welcome for Pirates IN The Caribbean night.
Include even more enchantment
Special surprises. Add an extra touch of magic to your voyage—from sweet treats and wonderful wines to delightful decorations and more.
Vista Spa & Salon. Include ultimate relaxation on your vacation. Schedule a session at our acclaimed spa...rated among the top 5 at sea by Condé Nast Traveler magazine readers.
Port Adventures. Explore the shore! Each adventure has been chosen by us to showcase the wonders in our ports of call. But favorites can fill up quickly. Book yours before you sail at the Planning Center.

Bolding by me.

MJ

HUM, we are sailing on the Wonder on 1/17 and I haven't received any emails.

diane648
01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm hoping that plaid shorts / polo shirt will be acceptable for a 3 year old boy on the Wonder? I just finished buying the pieces for our 4-night cruise in February -- I'll really be disappointed if I have to start over. Do ya'll think this is OK???

Diane

mmouse37
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
HUM, we are sailing on the Wonder on 1/17 and I haven't received any emails.

that is the sailing we are on....I have received a few in the last few weeks. Are you registered at the DCL site?

MJ

mmouse37
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm hoping that plaid shorts / polo shirt will be acceptable for a 3 year old boy on the Wonder? I just finished buying the pieces for our 4-night cruise in February -- I'll really be disappointed if I have to start over. Do ya'll think this is OK???

Diane

Children, especially that young, will be fine with what you bought!!

MJ

kcashner
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
MJ, is this for a cruise on the Magic or Wonder?....just asking as the suggested attire has been different between the two ships. Your e-mail looks like an "upgrade" from the Magic requests.

disney 2010
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
We are sailin 1/17 on the 4 day Wonder as well and also received the email today. We leave in 2 days to Disney and DS 13 wears shorts and Jeans. He doesn't own anything else!
DH also prefers jeans and shorts but at least he owns others.
Do I need to rush out and buy DS pants he is going to hate to wear, :cool2:
What do other teen boys wear?

tikibirds
01-05-2010, 05:35 AM
DH is a shorts fanatic (dressy shorts, not gym-type ones) - in fact he refuses to go to Palo this time because he refuses to take/wear pants. Shorts were not a problem in the regular dining room in early Dec - I'm really hoping they aren't this time or we're going to be eating alot of room service!

mmouse37
01-05-2010, 07:00 AM
MJ, is this for a cruise on the Magic or Wonder?....just asking as the suggested attire has been different between the two ships. Your e-mail looks like an "upgrade" from the Magic requests.

For the Wonder 1/17/2010....

I did know the Wonder was always a bit more casual between ships but I thought the "jeans accepted" in the dining room was on both ships recently....or was that different on the ships?....I have not sailed the Wonder since 2005.

MJ

mmouse37
01-05-2010, 07:07 AM
For those worrying about the kids attire in the dinning room....DCL will never ask you to leave the dining room or bar you from coming in..... and the Wonder has always been more casual than the Magic. Don't stress!!

I have only seen people turned away from Palo based on what they were wearing....never the regular dining rooms.

MJ

kcashner
01-05-2010, 07:46 AM
We did a Wonder bounceback in September and a Magic sailing in December. Neither ship had a "no jeans" request. The only difference between the ships on the "cruise casual" nights was that the Magic requested "no shorts." Wonder said nothing about shorts.

disney1990
01-05-2010, 08:03 AM
that is the sailing we are on....I have received a few in the last few weeks. Are you registered at the DCL site?

MJ

Yes, I am registered on the DCL site. I would have to be to be able to make Palo reservations which I have already done. I wonder if I didn't get the emails because a TA has my reservation? Are you going to our get together on sailing day at 2:30 at the Promenade Lounge?

TnRobin
01-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I wonder if Disney is trying to return to a more elegant dining environment. If so, it will take time before it can be truely implemented. So for those cruising soon, I would not be overly worried about it.

As for teens, last year I made my DS take a pair of Khakis for dinner on our 3-day cruise. By the second night, I allowed him to wear jeans as almost every teen was wearing jeans.

I am one who enjoys the "dressing for dinner" environment and I would love to see it return to both the Magic and Wonder. But it doesn't ruin my evening if someone does not participate.

Goofy Mum
01-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I think it's a good policy. How many times really do you and your kids get dressed up for dinner? I look forward to seeing my young men dressed nice for dinner and in their little vests/ties on formal night. In my opinion it's a breath of fresh air. And for those that dont want to dress-up, anyone can afford a cheap pair of khaki's and a polo shirt. Comfortable, casual and not jeans. :thumbsup2

carmie3377
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Would dressy capris with healed sandals be acceptable if they implement this change? I wore a dress/skirt each night of our cruise last month but thougth I might bring dressy capris for our next cruise. (sure it's over a year away but I like to shop early for sales). I don't intend to wear shorts or jeans to dinner.

lbuher
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I think it's a good policy. How many times really do you and your kids get dressed up for dinner? I look forward to seeing my young men dressed nice for dinner and in their little vests/ties on formal night. In my opinion it's a breath of fresh air. And for those that dont want to dress-up, anyone can afford a cheap pair of khaki's and a polo shirt. Comfortable, casual and not jeans. :thumbsup2

I truly do understand your point and perspective, but this is just one of those issues where people are going to have differences of opinion/preference. When we go on vacation - especially one where we're already spending a lot of money - my whole family wants to be casual and comfortable - and for us, that means NOT dressing up. I also don't want to have to fool with packing any more than absolutely necesssary, and dressing up for dinner involves more clothes, shoes, etc.... for each member of the family. We will NOT be BUMMY in the dining room, but since we are on the more casual Wonder, we won't be dressed up either - for the reasons mentioned above!

Not trying to start a debate... just wanted to put in my two-cents. I hope they DON'T make it a more stringent dress code, especially on the shorter cruises.....

Pluto,
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
im sorry im wearing jeans.

richwesq
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm glad Disney is trying to move back toward some level of classiness.

For folks who don't like it, there's always Carnival.

Goofy Mum
01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I truly do understand your point and perspective, but this is just one of those issues where people are going to have differences of opinion/preference. When we go on vacation - especially one where we're already spending a lot of money - my whole family wants to be casual and comfortable - and for us, that means NOT dressing up. I also don't want to have to fool with packing any more than absolutely necesssary, and dressing up for dinner involves more clothes, shoes, etc.... for each member of the family. We will NOT be BUMMY in the dining room, but since we are on the more casual Wonder, we won't be dressed up either - for the reasons mentioned above!

Not trying to start a debate... just wanted to put in my two-cents. I hope they DON'T make it a more stringent dress code, especially on the shorter cruises.....
Of course not everyone's going to agree. :love::love:
I have four sons and unless there's a funeral or a wedding we're attending we never get 'dressed up' to go anywhere so for US it will be a nice change.
Like a previous poster mentioned. They're not going to turn anyone away, right? The most important thing of all is to enjoy our cruises! :thumbsup2

love2driveinct
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Would dressy capris with healed sandals be acceptable if they implement this change? I wore a dress/skirt each night of our cruise last month but thougth I might bring dressy capris for our next cruise. (sure it's over a year away but I like to shop early for sales). I don't intend to wear shorts or jeans to dinner.

IMO capris are a type of pants, not a type of shorts, so I'd say you are all set! I guess I'd consider anything above the knee "shorts" and anything below the knee "pants" (capri, crop, whatever). I wear capris all of the time, and if I'm not wearing a dress in the dining room, you can bet I'm wearing capris! :goodvibes

carmie3377
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
IMO capris are a type of pants, not a type of shorts, so I'd say you are all set! I guess I'd consider anything above the knee "shorts" and anything below the knee "pants" (capri, crop, whatever). I wear capris all of the time, and if I'm not wearing a dress in the dining room, you can bet I'm wearing capris! :goodvibes

Thank you! I'll be wearing some dresses (especially formal and semi-formal nights) but glad that capris won't be out of of place.

Homemom
01-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm glad Disney is trying to move back toward some level of classiness.

For folks who don't like it, there's always Carnival.

I won't consider myself or others "unclassy" if we aren't dressed in formal gowns and/or tuxedos!

Goofy Mum
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I won't consider myself or others "unclassy" if we aren't dressed in formal gowns and/or tuxedos!

Which leads us to another question. How formal are you willing to go? I was just going to bring a LBD but I've seen pics on here of men with tuxedo's and women in ball gowns! I have a ball gown but have no intention of bringing it. Just curious who's doing what for formal night if anything?

love2driveinct
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Which leads us to another question. How formal are you willing to go? I was just going to bring a LBD but I've seen pics on here of men with tuxedo's and women in ball gowns! I have a ball gown but have no intention of bringing it. Just curious who's doing what for formal night if anything?

My DH purchased a tuxedo a few years ago, and has only worn it once or twice so we are anxious to get some use out of it. I also got a great deal on one for my son about a year ago (long story). So on our formal night, yes, the guys will be in tuxedos, and the gals will be in long dresses. Fortunately for us, all of these are items that we already own since we go to military balls and the kids have been in weddings recently, so I would understand any family that does not want to make such an investment just for a vacation. :)

hgon76
01-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I brought a gown last time. While I loved "dressing up" in my gown for formal night (especially since I bought it 5 years ago & only wore it once), I'm going with the LBD this time. More so for packing/airline restrictions than anything else. Saw many women in LBD's & pantsuits. You won't look out of place.

ACDSNY
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
As soon as they get rid of airline baggage fees I'll be happy to dress up for dinner.

breakingd_awn
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I can understand that some people don't want to dress up and thats perfectly fine , but I can't wait to dress up:banana: My DH is a concrete forman so he always looks "bummish" and teen DD's are always in jeans too. So DH will be wearing khakis and nice button up on casual nights and suit for dress up night .DD's and I will be wearing dresses every night:) Of course I CAN wait to wear the heels , I'm 6 1" so I don't wear heels that often. I'll have to practice walking around the house before the cruise:lmao:

kcashner
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Other than in Palo, it has never been a "dress code." It has been "suggested dress" and "requests." The subtle difference tells you that there is no enforcement. Personally, I like a little "dressing for dinner," but realize that others may just find it to be a pain.

TnRobin
01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Just a quick reminder before this thread turns sour. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion on this subject. Personal attacks on people because of thier opinions are against posting guidelines and will not be tolerated.

That said.

I think capris are perfect for casual nights on the cruise, even if they return to the original requested attire.

As for formal night, even in the beginning you would see people dressed to the nines in tuxes and gowns and other dressed in thier best "Sunday Dress." Some women would wear really nice pantsuits. It all looked great.

Goofy Mum
01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
As soon as they get rid of airline baggage fees I'll be happy to dress up for dinner.
GOOD POINT!!!! :thumbsup2

gomagic
01-06-2010, 09:11 AM

GOOD POINT!!!! :thumbsup2

I agree. That being said, if by chance anyone who doesn't feel the need to "dress up" for dinner is ever seated with me or my mom it certainly will not bother us at all. We realize everyone is entitled to make their own choices as to dinner attire and not everyone has the means to invest in formalwear,or other dining room attire, for a cruise which could possibly be the only one they ever take.

Only once have I seen dining room attire that I thought was completely inapproriate - extremely short denim skirt with rips and holes in some not so good places.:scared1:

bevtoy
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I have seen people turned away.
They presented their family in beach attire (swim suits) and some of them were barefooted at Lumière's!
On formal night people were in the dining rooms in jeans and shorts.

For those worrying about the kids attire in the dinning room....DCL will never ask you to leave the dining room or bar you from coming in..... and the Wonder has always been more casual than the Magic. Don't stress!!

I have only seen people turned away from Palo based on what they were wearing....never the regular dining rooms.

MJ

tvguy
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
My first cruise in 1980 on the Mermoz suits were required for men at regular dinners, and tuxes were required for men for formal nights ( it was a 14 day cruise with 4 formal nights).
My most recent cruise on the Pride of America, anything went in the dining room.
I think Disney may be adjusting their policy a bit, they don't want to be formal, but they probably don't want to be too informal.
Remember, they have a dress code for the parks too, and you can be turned away if you wear something that violates the rules, so a minimal dress code isn't out of line with their corporate policies.
Heck, even Little League baseball has banned jeans and shorts of any kind on coaches when teams play in tournaments, playoffs and the LL World Series.