View Full Version : What Do You Think Disney Would Do?

07-23-2002, 08:15 PM
I dont even know if this is the right board. If not, moderators, move it please.
We are booked for ASMO and Poly for the last week in August. When we booked the trip a few months ago things were fine. Now that its almost time to make the final payment, FIL has gotten very ill. It looks like he may have a month left. Knowing our luck, the doctor will have hit the diagnosis on the nose, and a month from now is when we are supposed to leave for our trip. So my question is, if we pay off the room now and if God forbid something happened so we had to cancel, do you think Disney would refund our money? I realize it would be beyond the cancellation date, but do they usually refund under special circumstances, such as a death of an immediate family member? Im not even sure when the cancellation date is since Ive never considered having to cancel a vacation before. I always buy insurance when we do packages or even a cruise, but where this was room only, I never thought of it. Does anyone know what would be done? Would you just cancel now? Unfortuantely we cant postpone the trip because it is with other family members(my side of the family).

07-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Tough call. I'd call CRO and ask what your options are. You'd think that they'd refund your money or at the very least allow you to use the money you've spent toward another reservation in the future. But you never know what a business will do. With the insurance thing, they might try to tell you, sorry you didn't get insurance, you are up a creek. But you never know when you might get a compassionate person on the other side of the phone.

Good luck. Hope your FIL improves.

07-23-2002, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you have to cancel under those circumstances, Disney would fully refund your money. They are usually pretty understanding on these types of things.

07-23-2002, 10:07 PM
Just wanted to say I'm sorry about your FIL and that you are in my prayers tonight. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

07-24-2002, 06:39 AM
They may be compassionate, but I doubt it. Many people could use that as a line to get there full money back when they haven't purchased trip insurance.

I would guess they will offer you another set of dates and let you transfer your deposit over.

Definately call, right away and either cancel before it is too late or change your dates.

Hope all goes well.

07-24-2002, 07:11 AM
I have read on these boards, instances where people were refunded the money or they applied it to new ressies. :D Disney does care.
I hope FIL gets better and this is a non issue.

07-24-2002, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We are going to call today to see what they say.
I would be very happy even if they let us put the money toward another trip. The way Im seeing it now is if we pay the full amount(about 600.00) and lose it, we cant afford to book another trip, but if they let us use the money we could maybe go back in the fall. Im ok with DS missing school(hes just going to be in Kindergarten), but my neices wouldnt be able to reshedule. So my mother and neices would go on a separate trip than us. That would sort of stink after all the planning we have done together(we even got Cindys and plan to surprise the girls with it!), but at least my kids would still get to go after Ive been telling them for months that they are going. Hopefully this all doesnt even matter, but I guess I have to look at all possibilities.
Thanks for the kind words too!

07-24-2002, 11:26 AM
I think they'll understand ... a few years ago I was expecting our 4th child and began bleeding the day before we left. Needless to say, I was not allowed to travel. I called Disney, explained the situation and all of my money was refunded. No doctor's note required, although I did offer.

I hope things work out for you, but if not, I think you will be all right.

Best wishes!