PDA

View Full Version : Airlines lost luggage?

Goofy Mum
01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I hate to be a negative Nelly but a few times I've flown my luggage didn't make it with me upon arrival. But the airlines always managed to locate it and bring it to me sometimes up to 2 nights later. What happens if our bags don't arrive from our flights? Will they ship it to our next port of call or will it simply be waiting for us at the airport when we return? I have lost baggage insurance with my travel insurance but that won't do me much good in the middle of the Med for ten nights.
Has this ever happened to anyone before?

kcashner
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
If your luggage is found, it will be sent to the next port by plane...and hopefully transferred to the ship.

I strongly suggest the "musical chairs" approach to packing so that each person has a couple of complete outfits in each suitcase. That way, if one bag goes astray, everyone will have most of their stuff. Arrange the "garments" into a full day outfit including underwear, socks, etc. Lay out the empty cases. Place one day's clothing in each case. Repeat the cycle. Have person number 2 do the same.....

I like the organization of "mom's case, kid #1 case, kid #2 case, etc. but that's a disaster when the mom case gets lost (it contains all the necessities in addition to mom's clothes!) Having lost it once, we're on musical cases now.

tea for girls
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I have this same fear for our 14 night WB-TransAtlantic in Sept. Trying to pack light, but going to stick a few things in our carry-on just in case.

disneyfaninaz
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
All I can say is hope for the best and pack for the worst. Try mixing all your families clothes in various bags, so one person is not without clothes. If you're flying in the night before, you'll have more time for them to locate your luggage before you meet the ship. Good luck!

Goofy Mum
01-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Well I've learned after many years of travel to always pack one lightweight extra outfit in my carry on along with extra undies!
We're all taking carry on's with swimsuits but will add a few more items just in case. I know it's not likely it will happen but have to be prepared for the worst.

ranidayz
01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Well I've learned after many years of travel to always pack one lightweight extra outfit in my carry on along with extra undies!
We're all taking carry on's with swimsuits but will add a few more items just in case. I know it's not likely it will happen but have to be prepared for the worst.

True That! I learned the hard way after getting stuck overnight at an airport hotel to always take extra personal garments AND an extra day of meds -- just in case.

We fly in two days before the cruise and spend the day before at one of the parks for just this reason....

woody73
01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Well I've learned after many years of travel to always pack one lightweight extra outfit in my carry on
I've learned to pack a toothbrush and toothpaste in my carry on.

Woody

Meriweather
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I have this same fear for our 14 night WB-TransAtlantic in Sept. Trying to pack light, but going to stick a few things in our carry-on just in case.

Me too!!
Planning on packing a change of clothes, undies in my carry-on.

Goofy Mum
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I've learned to pack a toothbrush and toothpaste in my carry on.

Woody

I always have a toothbrush in my purse all the time anyway so I've never been caught out :)

Last time the airlines lost my bags I was visiting my mother in the USA. I haven't bought clothes in US sizes in nearly 10 years so I have no idea how to buy anything. But on the way home from the airport I said "underwear, NOW!" I don't even know the name of the shop we stopped at. :lmao:

Bethshaya
01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
My cousin went on a 14 day Med cruise and they lost their luggage...ALL of it. The crew was nice and they gave them some free T-shirts and such, but all she had was what she was wearing, plus a change of clothes and night clothing from her carry on and a bathing suit.

They did NOT get their luggage back until 2 WEEKS after their cruise ended. They made the best of it, and bought some items when in ports, but it was not a pleasant experience.

We always get our luggage lost. We go out of a small airport to ATL all the time, and whenever we come home from ATL, it seems our luggage doesn't want to come with us. Every time we go, its lost.

At least we are lucky enough that it has always been on our return flight, and we of course have our own clothes at home. They usually deliver the luggage in the next day or two to our home.

It just seems like it isn't worth it for them to put it on a small flight, even thought we check in several hours early at the airport.