PDA

View Full Version : Disney Bus Transfer vs. Rental Car

im4disney
01-03-2010, 10:23 AM
We will be taking our first cruise on 1/17 - 4 nights on the Wonder.

We are arriving at MCO at 9:00 AM on the day before (1/16) and staying at OKW for one night before the cruise. If we rent a car at MCO (about 10:00 AM), we will have to return it by 10:00 AM to the Budget location near the Port the next day in order to get a good rate (approx. $52.00 including taxes). If we keep it over 24 hours, the rate is a lot more expensive.

My question is around 10:30 AM too early to get to the Port or would we be better off taking the easy way out and booking the Disney bus transfer($105 for three of us)?

...and is arriving "on your own" with the luggage better than taking the Disney bus or is it just more hassle?

Honestly, we don't mind paying the extra for the Disney bus transfer if it is the easier and better way to go.

Thanks!

acourtwdw
01-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Stay with the rental car. A lot of people get to the port around that time. It's not too early. While there isn't a lot to do inside the terminal, the characters come out for autographs and pictures. We are doing the same thing for our upcoming cruise.

jilljill
01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
You will get about 30 minutes of 'free time' with the rental car if you go over your 24 hours.

mmouse37
01-03-2010, 10:34 AM
We will be taking our first cruise on 1/17 - 4 nights on the Wonder.

We are arriving at MCO at 9:00 AM on the day before (1/16) and staying at OKW for one night before the cruise. If we rent a car at MCO (about 10:00 AM), we will have to return it by 10:00 AM to the Budget location near the Port the next day in order to get a good rate (approx. $52.00 including taxes). If we keep it over 24 hours, the rate is a lot more expensive.

My question is around 10:30 AM too early to get to the Port or would we be better off taking the easy way out and booking the Disney bus transfer($105 for three of us)?

...and is arriving "on your own" with the luggage better than taking the Disney bus or is it just more hassle?

Honestly, we don't mind paying the extra for the Disney bus transfer if it is the easier and better way to go.

Thanks!

What you described is similar to what we are doing (we are on the same cruise) but we are arriving later in the day and staying at the port overnight (Marriott Residence Inn). We are picking up a car at MCO and driving to the port. Next morning we are dropping off people and luggage at the port and then hubby will return the car. Hubby will then take the rental car shuttle and meet us back at the port. The DCL buses do not leave the WDW resort area until at least 11:30 or so getting you to port at 12:30 (too late for me). When you drive up to the port they will direct you where to drop off your luggage curbside (I recommend this). The porters will take the luggage from you and then you leave your party there to start the check in process or you can all go back to return the car and then take the shuttle back to the port with just your carryons. I find this much easier than going to the rental place first, unloading all the luggage from the rental, loading it into the shuttle and unloading it at the port....easier to just drop off the luggage at the port, return the car and hop on the shuttle to the port. If you decide to return the car solo, make sure you have picture ID with you to allow access into the terminal. The rest of your party should have your other picture ID and their ID's and paperwork and they can start the check in process without you.

10:30 is not too early, IMO, to get to the port. I always arrive at the port by 10:00 and just enjoy the goings on at the terminal. Some characters come out for photos, there is seating available and you get there early and can be some of the first to board. To me, I want my vacation to start ASAP, so being on the ship early fullfills that need in me!!! There are also tv's playing cartoons to keep kids entertained. Plus, the terminal is beautiful...not warehouse looking like some cruise terminals. I love the energy at the terminal!! When you get there early you will receive a lower boarding number which enables you to board the ship soon after it opens. The later you arrive to the terminal, the later boarding number you get. In reality we are only talking a different of about 30 minutes from first boarding number called to last but I like getting onboard and getting to lunch right away to start my vacay!!! Typical boarding time is about 11:45-12:00.

MJ

outahere
01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
All of the WDW hotels are a little over an hour away from the port, so if you left OKW at 8:30, you should be at the Cape Canaveral Budget office by 10:00. The terminal opens at 10:00, so you could take the Budget shuttle over and be able to get checked in. The DCL buses don't leave WDW until late morning/noon time so you don't usually get to the port until 1:00 or later. Boarding usually starts a little before noon, so if you want to be on the ship early, your best bet is the car.

Shelly F - Ohio
01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I would take the rental car route. One it's cheaper, two it gives you flexibility in case you need to make a stop at a drug store for something you forgot.

Getting to the port at 10:30 is fine.
When we dropped our Budget car off we actually has a bit of a wait for the free shuttle van to take us to the ship- about 20 mins- because we had to wait our turn. Once you turn in your car you will be give a card with a number on it once your number is called it will be your turn to board the shuttle. This is how they keep track of who is next to board the shuttle when it returns from dropping off the previous passenger.

Taking the rental car route is so easy.

Other side note by having a car for 24 hrs it gives you the chance to eat off property which can save you a bundle of money. The money you save by eating off property will certainly pay for the rental car.

So take the rental car route.

*** Don't forget you can check in for the cruise at the WDW resort at the same time you check in for your room. They will give you your keys to the world card that you will use on the ship.

acourtwdw
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I would take the rental car route. One it's cheaper, two it gives you flexibility in case you need to make a stop at a drug store for something you forgot.

Getting to the port at 10:30 is fine.
When we dropped our Budget car off we actually has a bit of a wait for the free shuttle van to take us to the ship- about 20 mins- because we had to wait our turn. Once you turn in your car you will be give a number card once your number is called it will be your turn to board the shuttle. This is how they keep track of who is next to board the shuttle when it returns from dropping off the previous passenger. Taking the luggage with us was not a problem at least I knew it made it to the ship.
Taking the rental car route is so easy.

Other side note by having a car for 24 hrs it gives you the chance to eat off property which can save you a bundle of money. The money you save by eating off property will certainly pay for the rental car.

So take the rental car route.

*** Don't forget you can check in for the cruise at the WDW resort at the same time you check in for your room. They will give you your keys to the world card that you will use on the ship.

I'm not sure that this is correct. You can only do that if you have the land/sea package through Disney. If you have your ressies seperate than you have to check in at the port.

kcashner
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
No, currently you can not check in for your cruise at a WDW resort hotel (as of 12/11/09). This is only possible with the land/sea package.

Another vote for the rental car--you're able to make a Wal-mart stop if you realize that you've forgotten something and be on your own schedule for the day. Do sign up for Fastbreak (Budget's frequent renter program) to save a bunch of time at MCO. Your price sounds OK, but we typically pay a bit less--check coupon codes at rentalcodes.com. Remember that you will need money for tolls and gas. There is a RaceTrac station right by the Budget place in Cape Canaveral. Arriving at the Budget location by 10 is not too early, but you will be "hanging out" at the terminal for a while.

Your other option (if you're concerned about the 24 hours) is to take Magical Express to WDW (free). You can pick up a Budget rental car at the Doubletree hotel by Downtown Disney. The prices can be the same as MCO or can be higher depending on the code.

pmama
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
You will get about 30 minutes of 'free time' with the rental car if you go over your 24 hours.

Watch this! We turned in our Budget car 12 minutes after the due time and were charged $20 extra. I told the woman that according to the agreement I printed I got 29 minutes with no additional fee but she knew nothing of it and said she'd have someone call. We still haven't gotten the call. I'm wondering if it's worth my aggravation. Then again that's probably what they figure, people won't think it's worth fighting for $20.

disneybride96
01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
We are on the same cruise also and arriving at MCO about the same time as you. With a great car rental rate though Hotwire, ($113) it was cheaper for us to rent a car for the week and get a room at the port with the parking rate. We prefer to skip the disney busses if possible and do a towncar, but is not as good a value as with a large group. We return to the Boardwalk Villas after the cuise for a couple of days and I am happy to still have use of a car!! Go with the rental!

im4disney
01-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. We used a Costco code and are only paying $47. We are also a Fastbreak customer. Thanks again! :yay:

Presentation
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Consider a light lunch at the airport before you pick up your rental car. That will burn an hour and fix your problem.

If you do this make sure you modify your rental reservation.

hollypoast
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
another vote for rental car. We've done this in the past and will be doing it again for our Feb 20 cruise. It's nice to get to the cruise term early. Hang out, read your docs and get in the mood.

LiseG
01-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Congrats on the great rate!!! We do a pair of one-way rentals each time.

I like the idea of picking up the car a little later. There are shops and food in the gate areas and a lot more in the main terminal. I love red-eye flights so we always arrive before they open. You could actually enjoy the MCO stop...
Main Terminal Food & Shopping (http://www.orlandoairports.net/pdf_counter.htm?name=images/flash/shopping_landside.swf)
Shopping - Disney Store (2), Universal Studios, Harley Davidson, Kennedy Space Center, Ron Jon' Surf Shop, Sea World
Fast Food - Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, Panda Express, Chick-Fil-A, Carvel
Table Service - Chili's, Macaroni Grill, Hyatt (2)
At the gates (http://www.orlandoairports.net/pdf_counter.htm?name=images/flash/shopping_airside.swf)

We use the rental car shuttle to the port and it's always been smooth.

This last trip we tracked down a Super Target right off the express way between WDW and DCL. Then we found a liquor store near by and picked up a bottle of rum. On the way back we stopped at Kennedy Space Center. Love the flexibility :cool1:

:disrocks: Something I learned on the DIS...Disney allows you to bring alcoholic beverages aboard as a carry-on. Reading other threads you'll see posts from folks who bring on as much as a case of beer, bottles/boxes of wine, a wide selection of alcohol, mixers, etc. One DISer even brings their Magic Bullet to make blended drinks. Others bring over-size wine glasses to take strolling and to dinner. We simply poured rum in a wide mouth sport bottles and head to Deck 9 and add the ice & Coke for sipping by the pool. That will really save you $$.