PDA

View Full Version : Question about points transfer or renting

"Got Disney"
01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I have 400 pts but at times we need more and plan on down the line getting more. But until than we were thinking of just renting or having someone transfer pts to our account for when we need them.

So when we book and want to stay longer or in a larger villa and don't have enough points is it just better to have them transferred to my account? Can I do that?

We use most of our points at the Grand or should I say now GCV...because we live only an hr+ away. We don't usually plan way ahead of time, although now that we have the villas and cant stay in the main hotel, rooms are more scarce so that may have to change.

anyway....we can go anytime the kids are not in school and at last minute if we want. So how does it work to have pts just transferred????? can I use than along with my points as long as the ones I have transferred are in my/same use year?

Can we do that so to get a bigger villa? or would we have to make 2 reservations one with our pts and another with the rented pts and ask for them to be joined to the same villa???

Chuck S
01-02-2010, 07:54 PM
If points are transferred into your account, they become "your points" for that use year. But they retain their home resort and use year. Transferred points can be banked.

You are limited to one transfer per use year.

As an owner, I think it is probably better to receive a transfer than to rent a reservation simply because it gives you control of the reservation.

"Got Disney"
01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Okay so if someone transfers points to my account from say their home resort which is SSR....than those transferred pts have to be used at SSR....cant use them at say....GCV ?

CarolAnnC
01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Okay so if someone transfers points to my account from say their home resort which is SSR....than those transferred pts have to be used at SSR....cant use them at say....GCV ?

You can use them at any DVC resort as long as you book 7 months or sooner. The 11 month booking advantage is for the home resort, only.

"Got Disney"
01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
that's great! how long does it take usually to have them transferred from the renter to the rentee?

also since they are bankable, do they have the same bankable time as regular pts....

I would think in that case than finding someone with the same use year as me would be the best thing to do if not sure when will be going. My use year is Dec 31st and works great for us.

I noticed on the rent board that most are not looking for transfers but to have them book for them! Is this because most are not already DVC members??????

If they are already DVC members.....why not just have them transferred and book it themselves? This is valuable info for me.:flower3:

Thanks for all the help!

Chuck S
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
that's great! how long does it take usually to have them transferred from the renter to the rentee?

also since they are bankable, do they have the same bankable time as regular pts....

I would think in that case than finding someone with the same use year as me would be the best thing to do if not sure when will be going. My use year is Dec 31st and works great for us.

I noticed on the rent board that most are not looking for transfers but to have them book for them! Is this because most are not already DVC members??????

If they are already DVC members.....why not just have them transferred and book it themselves? This is valuable info for me.:flower3:

Thanks for all the help!

Many non-DVC members do use our boards, so they are looking for reservations, not a transfer. Also, some members may be looking for a small amount of points, and they are more likely to find and owner that will rent them a reservation for a day or two rather than use up their one transfer limit for a small transfer.

Actually, your use year would be December 1st, not 31st, as there are no January use years.

With a December use year, you receive your new allotment of points on December 1st for use December 1st to November 30th.

They have the same banking window (first 8 months of the use year) as your own points, and as Carol said, the same 11/7 priority at their respective home resort.

"Got Disney"
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I see....makes sence. So if I did not want to use up my one transfere its better to just have them book for me.

Yes dont know why I put DEC 31st :lmao:it is the first.

I have never bothered asking these questions because never needed to. WE want to buy more pts but until we can it's nice to know we can have them transfered into our account.

So another question......if we have pts transfered...use all of them along with all of our points yet want to go again....we can still rent more pts as if we were not a DVC member correct?

I am assuming yes...that that would not matter.

Sandisw
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I see....makes sence. So if I did not want to use up my one transfere its better to just have them book for me.

Yes dont know why I put DEC 31st :lmao:it is the first.

I have never bothered asking these questions because never needed to. WE want to buy more pts but until we can it's nice to know we can have them transfered into our account.

So another question......if we have pts transfered...use all of them along with all of our points yet want to go again....we can still rent more pts as if we were not a DVC member correct?

I am assuming yes...that that would not matter.

Yes. The other thing to consider is getting a larger transfer than you think you need so that it can carry you for a few years.

For example, say you know that you might need 50 points extra for the next few years. You get a 200 point transfer this year.

If you use all of those at first, instead of your own, you would be able to use banking to extend out a few years. This way, you have what you need without the worry of the once per UY transfer

Inkmahm
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes. The other thing to consider is getting a larger transfer than you think you need so that it can carry you for a few years.

For example, say you know that you might need 50 points extra for the next few years. You get a 200 point transfer this year.

If you use all of those at first, instead of your own, you would be able to use banking to extend out a few years. This way, you have what you need without the worry of the once per UY transfer

You beat me to it. When the point charts changed for 2010 and people were complaining about not having enough points for the reservations they were used to making, I said it would be easy to get a 50 point transfer in that would cover a shortage of 5 or 6 points a year for quite awhile. No one liked hearing that, but it was a practical answer to the problem.

I've done the same for family gatherings. Transfer in MORE points than I actually need and then just use them over a period of time. They never seem to go to waste.

Luv2Scrap
01-03-2010, 01:02 PM

forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but I'm trying to learn all I can as well. I'm wondering about your comment about a 200 point transfer being banked to extend out a few years. How would that work, if you can only bank points for one year? This could be very valuable information for me too, as I'm looking at starting out with a very modest contract that will probably need a little bit of supplementing! :flower3:

Thanks!

Sandisw
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but I'm trying to learn all I can as well. I'm wondering about your comment about a 200 point transfer being banked to extend out a few years. How would that work, if you can only bank points for one year? This could be very valuable information for me too, as I'm looking at starting out with a very modest contract that will probably need a little bit of supplementing! :flower3:

Thanks!

Let's say you need 50 extra points for a 2010 vacation (and several after that) so you get those 50. You book your reservation with 150 of your own points and the 50 transferred points.

Instead, you get a 200 point transfer. You book your 2010 reservation with all the transferred points. That leaves you with all of your own 2010 points (150) which you can now bank into 2011.

Now, its 2011 and you have 150 banked from 2010 and 150 from 2011. You book and use 200 points (150 banked and 50 current). That leaves you still 100 of the 2011 points left that you bank into 2012.

If you continue this way, those transferred points, in essence, carry you for the 4 years. Hope this makes sense!

Chuck S
01-03-2010, 01:28 PM
The way to extend your transfer is pretty simple.

For instance, if every year you need 230 points for your vacation and you have a 200 point contract, you transfer in 230 points.

You use those all of the transferred 230 points,and bank all 200 of your current use year points.

The following year you use all 200 banked points, plus 30 of your current 200 use year points. You bank 170 of your current use year points.

The next year, you use the 170 banked points, and 60 of your 200 points, banking 140....and so on.

In effect, that one transfer fills your needs for several years.

Luv2Scrap
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
That makes sense now, thanks!

kimberh
01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I do excatly what Chuck said every year. It works. I have never lost a point yet.

"Got Disney"
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Iv got to say I am surprised I don't see more people doing this. Unless they are doing it on some of the other boards. I have seen only one person asking for a transfer of points and that is what lead me to making this thread.

Almost all fo them are folks asking for certain dates to rent. To me asking for them to just be transferred is the way to go. I did notice that it seems like many of the threads are folks that need to get rid of them fast before they cant be used anymore.

How hard is it to find DVCM that wants to just get rid of them before time is up? I mean if they have already banked them, and therefore have used up the points use time....makes it hard to get lots and bank some for the next year.

:dance3: