PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit during the holidays?

thf913
12-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I need some help! DH and I have decided to visit WDW during the holidays 2010. We were wondering when is the best time to visit. We are interested in low crowds with the decorations up. We've been during Feb/Mar and August in the past but never during the holidays. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, how early do the resorts begin decorating for Christmas? Thanks!

gehrig38sox
12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
GO the 1st\2nd week of December

I just got back from their and the crowds were minimal as were the waits

cbg1027
12-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Ditto - 1st or 2nd weeks of December!

I just stayed there from Dec 12 - 18 and it was a great time. Moderate-low crowds and you still get the Holiday stuff.

Luv2Roam
12-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Pop Warner always seems to be a concern for many traveling the first weeks of December. So wanted to mention just in case it is for you too.
And holiday decor starts going up right after Halloween!

td1129
12-27-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with the first two weeks. As soon as you get into the third week, the crowds increase DRAMATICALLY (at least this was the case this year).

Minnie&Nana
12-27-2009, 08:41 AM
This year there have been many complaints about crowds during the 2nd week of December - crowds have increased quite a bit over the years. the week after Thanksgiving everyone posted was walk-on, and all the decorations are up and it's the holiday season in WDW.:goodvibes

I know this is the opposite of what others are saying here, ;), but we went every 1st or 2nd week for years and the last 3 yrs it had been far more crowded. The first week is better than the second (due to POP Warner), but the taping of the Christmas Parade is the first weekend in December. Decided we'd never go back over that weekend - all the cables, equipment etc for the taping just changed the feel of walking into th; MK for us - may not matter to others at all.:goodvibes

Nevertheless, it is still an especially enchanting time at WDW! It will be wonderful!

Luv2Roam
12-27-2009, 08:42 AM
The closer to Christmas, the heavier the crowds.
As an example, I was at Osborne Lights Thanksgiving evening. Crowded, but very enjoyable and do-able. Although they were very heavy into crowd control, only allowing guests to enter and exit at one specific place either way.
On December 5, there was barely walking space at OL. They must not even try crowd control when it is that full, because it was much more open on where guests could enter and exit. But it was hard to even walk it was so crowded. It was more of a squeeze through the crowd than a walk. ;)

thf913
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the posts! They've been very helpful!

Sammie
12-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Well we were there the week after Thanksgiving and it was crowded this year, so not sure there is a way to tell which weeks will be less.

Past history does not seem to repeat itself anymore.

thf913
12-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Now, I need to narrow it down even more. DH wants to know which week is less crowded, the week before Thanksgiving or the first or second week of December?

mom2val
12-29-2009, 09:25 PM
We were there 2 weeks before Thanksgiving 2008 and my brother went with his family the following week. We both experienced very low crowds and hardly any wait times. This year we went the 2nd week of December. More people in the parks and harder to move around but wait times were still low on most rides- 20 mins. We used fast passes and avoided the 60 min Soarin wait! I think free dining had an impact on the Dec crowds this year. We are going back same time next year.

thf913
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the post. Are the Christmas decorations up in the parks and the resorts one or two weeks before Thanksgiving? We would like to be able to enjoy the decorations since we've never been at this time of year. Thanks.