PDA

View Full Version : contemporary or grand floridian?

TaleasoldasTime
12-25-2009, 05:13 PM
My family and I (DH & DD2) will be staying at the contemporary 12/28-1/2.
We will be making a return trip 7/2-7/9 with my in-laws (who will only be staying in WDW for the first three nights) Which resort do you think would be best?

jemgumby
12-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I always gotta go with the Grand!!!!

havaneselover
12-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd take the Tower in the Contemporary over an outer building in the GF, but the GF is a beautiful hotel and if that's your inlaws' taste, it might be worth considering. Personally I wouldn't stay there (GF) again unless I'm in the main building. The CR appeals to me because it's convenient (especially being able to walk to the MK) and I like it's energy. The GF is more my taste, but staying in an outer building was like staying at the Residence Inn for me.

AimeeMichele
12-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I would say the GF!!! We just returned from a vacation there and stayed in an outer building (Big Pine Key) that had a view of the lagoon and monorail (we had a corner room). We also took advantage of being able to watch the EWP from our room. The building location was central to everything...and we loved it so much we booked a bounceback offer when we were there to go back for 8 days. My nephews (ages 7 & 3) specifially requested that we return to the GF. I gave them the following choices: GF, CR, AKL and the Poly. They didn't even hesitate and were jumping up and down saying the GF. Wherever you go, I'm sure it will be magical! :)

mmmears
12-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Since you're already trying out the CR, why not stay across the lake at the GF next time. It's a really nice resort!:cloud9:

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
12-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I would go with the Contemporary because their rates are less expensive and their standard rooms are are among the biggest of the Deluxe Resorts.

Pygoplites
12-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Both GF and CR are wonderful. I've stayed at both in the last 12 months; MK view in CR tower and GF concierge (Sugarloaf Building) and enjoyed them tremendously. I think it boils down to what style decor you like. I liked CR better because the room felt like the kind of hip luxury you'd get at a W hotel, whereas the GF was more grandma-like (but in a good way).

My favorite part of both? I booked the cheapest rooms and somehow got upgraded at both resorts. Gotta love that pixie dust!

pezaddict231
12-25-2009, 11:42 PM
I would try the GF since you'll have already have stayed at the CR recently and it sounds like the GF does appeal to you. We stayed there in June in were in Big Pine Key. Even though the resort is made up of outer buildings they are all pretty close together and it is such a beautiful resort, so I didn't mind walking the grounds to get around. We really loved it there and can't wait to stay there again in August!

Disbug1
12-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd take the Tower in the Contemporary over an outer building in the GF, but the GF is a beautiful hotel and if that's your inlaws' taste, it might be worth considering. Personally I wouldn't stay there (GF) again unless I'm in the main building. The CR appeals to me because it's convenient (especially being able to walk to the MK) and I like it's energy. The GF is more my taste, but staying in an outer building was like staying at the Residence Inn for me.

I have always stayed RPC at "The Grand" ( Will be there in just under a month :thumbsup2) but i am tempted to try out an outer building, only with you saying it was like staying at The Residence Inn:lmao: It surely cannot be that bad?? I am curious but then again i think i will stick with RPC:)

:goodvibes

havaneselover
12-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I have always stayed RPC at "The Grand" ( Will be there in just under a month :thumbsup2) but i am tempted to try out an outer building, only with you saying it was like staying at The Residence Inn:lmao: It surely cannot be that bad?? I am curious but then again i think i will stick with RPC:)

:goodvibes

I stayed in the main building of the GF as a kid many times. Last year we splurged on the GF and I honestly was very uninformed and we ended up in an outer building (can't remember which one but I think it was pretty far out). I wanted to be at the GF because of the monorail, but the long walk from the monorail to the room (after long days in the parks with two little ones in strollers) really did us in. Then when we got to the building we were in there was just nothing impressive about it (compared to the opulence of the GF). Of course I'm exaggerating about it feeling like a Residence Inn, but it definitely feels very different to me being in an outer building. Maybe it's just my current stage of life, but the Tower of the Contemporary is so convenient (to the monorail, walking to the MK, the Contempo Cafe is right there).

AimeeMichele
12-27-2009, 11:13 AM
FYI: staying in an outer building at the GF is nothing like a Residence Inn...rest assured. Just request a building close to the main building, then walking to the monorail, buses, etc. isn't bad at all. Our walk from our outer building (Big Pine Key) to the monorail was maybe 5 minutes....