PDA

View Full Version : Booking through WDW or renting DVC points?

momof2cutegirls
12-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I've been looking into booking CSR through WDW, but wandered over to the DVC board here on disboards and am thinking of going that route now after reading about renting points.

I've received the 25/30/40% pin, but I could stay at a deluxe DVC for about the same price as a moderate WDW resort.

Have any of you all thought about this? Looking for the advantages/disadvantages of both, the pros and cons...

Wild4Walt
12-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I've tried to use the DVC points once - I was going in Feb and it was really difficult to nail down the dates the points were available during the times I was able to go. We were pretty flexible and had a 2 week window ( we were looking for 5 nights ) but it didn't work out even 5 months out.

The Club Member I worked with was very good and had a rental agreement and everything so I felt really secure in using her points and sending her money.

Because we could not find availabilty I ended up booking a room at BWI for a bit more than what the Club Member and I had negociated.

kathleendsm
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
We had initially booked in a moderate resort, but ended up canceling and going with renting BWV points from a DVC member. We're paying a bit less than rack rate at CSR with this deal, so it felt pretty great to us, and we're really excited for the chance to stay at the Boardwalk! The person we worked with has done a lot of these transactions, and I felt even better when I got the reservation number and was able to check it on Disney's website and confirm that our names were there for the correct dates.

For us it was worth it because with young children, we'll spend a fair amount of time at the resort, so we wanted someplace with large rooms. It also has a balcony for us to sit on and relax while the kids fall asleep at night. Plus being on the Boardwalk is great because one of us can take our daughter down to see all the activity while our son takes naps during the day.

francie57
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
We have always booked our stay in a 2 bedroom at the BWV through AAA - its reasonable with their discount and ticket discount. You will save more money with renting points. The rooms are the same the biggest difference being you will only get housekeeping once every 4 days with renting points instead of daily by going through Disney. Also, the person you rent through controls the reservation and everything has to be done through them, so just make sure you are comfortable with the person.

Sammie
12-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Pros: huge savings over what Disney will cost you for the same accommidation.

Cons: private transaction between two people, any problems are also private, Disney will not get involved. Cancellation polices are determined by the DVC member, most do not allow cancellations or refunds. No daily maid service, DVC members get fresh towels and trash removed on the 4th day, the DVC member controls the reservation until you check in, any requests, Dining Plan, etc must be made by the member.

Hopefully
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
We chose to book DVC Villa accomodations through CRO rather than rent points. Yes, it was significantly more expensive.
Bur for me renting points is a binding contractual agreement between 2 parties. There is little or no ability to make changes once the reservation is made. Payment is usually required far in advance, and there are usually no refunds availale. It also involves a great deal of trust as the DVC owner controls the reservation until the moment you check in. I was never comfortable making that type of commitment 11 or more months in advance.
All that said, we loved the DVC Villas and we are now owners.
Have a Great Trip

pixie921
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
We chose to book DVC Villa accomodations through CRO rather than rent points. Yes, it was significantly more expensive.
Bur for me renting points is a binding contractual agreement between 2 parties. There is little or no ability to make changes once the reservation is made. Payment is usually required far in advance, and there are usually no refunds availale. It also involves a great deal of trust as the DVC owner controls the reservation until the moment you check in. I was never comfortable making that type of commitment 11 or more months in advance.
All that said, we loved the DVC Villas and we are now owners.
Have a Great Trip

Do you happen to remember how far in advance you were able to book the DVC accommodations through CRO? We've always used our points, but are looking at a cash trip to BLT and are wondering when we might be able to book (we're not quite 11 months out and there's no availability at any DVC resorts yet). TIA! :goodvibes

francie57
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
We always got through Disney for our villa reservations. We are going in Aug. 2010 and were able to make our reservations in Oct. I just kept trying our dates through the Disney site and it came up as available in Oct. We are staying in a 2 bedroom at the BW. Some of the less popular resorts may be available earlier. I know while I was trying our dates in Sept. the OKW and SSR came up but we aren't interested in either of them.

pixie921
12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
We always got through Disney for our villa reservations. We are going in Aug. 2010 and were able to make our reservations in Oct. I just kept trying our dates through the Disney site and it came up as available in Oct. We are staying in a 2 bedroom at the BW. Some of the less popular resorts may be available earlier. I know while I was trying our dates in Sept. the OKW and SSR came up but we aren't interested in either of them.

Thanks! I played around with dates on the WDW website and it looks like things are available up until about a week and a half before we want to arrive, so I'll keep checking back and hopefully the villas will open up for after Thanksgiving soon. :thumbsup2

dansyr2514
12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
We rented DVC points last year and plan to do so again this year. The price I could get renting pts is much lower than even with the 40% code. However, we lucked and a friend of a friend rented them to us and is very trustworthy. We had no problems and he made many calls until he got what we wanted. So I say to renting points as long as you can trust the other party.