PDA

View Full Version : Where would you pick? Pop or ASMu

gwcollins71
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
We've stayed at Pop in the past but we want to try something new (and cheap).

It will be me, my hubby, and our two little ones 4 and 1 going. I have a few questions that are worrying me...

1. How is the bus service? We will have a stroller and hubby is adament about taking the busses. I'm trying to get him to rent a car but that's a whole other story.

2. How is the food court? I loved the food court at POP. It was just so easy to get around. I liked being able to pay for everything at once no matter what counter we were at. Is it like that at all the resorts?

3. Distance to walk to the food/gift/check-in area. Once again, hubby doesn't want to pay for preferred. So I'm assuming we'll be in rock and roll or country. How far are they from the main area?

4. How is the gift shop and arcade as compared to POP?

Thanks so much, I need to book this week so any help, ideas or opinions would be great!

:) Thanks again,
Gretchen

Princess Disney Mom
12-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I've stayed at both and would pick POP. ASMU shares busses so often it comes already filled so will be harder with children.

Judy in Texas
12-22-2009, 09:23 AM
My notes in bold...
We've stayed at Pop in the past but we want to try something new (and cheap).

It will be me, my hubby, and our two little ones 4 and 1 going. I have a few questions that are worrying me...

1. How is the bus service? We will have a stroller and hubby is adament about taking the busses. I'm trying to get him to rent a car but that's a whole other story. POP has dedicated bus service... all the All Star resorts share.

2. How is the food court? I loved the food court at POP. It was just so easy to get around. I liked being able to pay for everything at once no matter what counter we were at. Is it like that at all the resorts? All value resorts have similar food courts with central checkouts.

3. Distance to walk to the food/gift/check-in area. Once again, hubby doesn't want to pay for preferred. So I'm assuming we'll be in rock and roll or country. How far are they from the main area? POP is more compact but all value resorts are very walkable.

4. How is the gift shop and arcade as compared to POP? Gift shops are similar. The ones at the All Star resorts are dedicated rooms and not the open area in front of the food court like at POP. Sorry I don't know anything about the arcades.

Thanks so much, I need to book this week so any help, ideas or opinions would be great!

:) Thanks again,
Gretchen

Microcell
12-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Judy in Texas made some very clear and concise points, but I checked out the thread to specifically tell you that unless you do preferred at ASMU go to POP!

We did stay in country and we stupidly bought refillable mugs. We never refilled them unless we were eating in the room! It was too big a haul back and forth so if we were heading out for a long day at the parks we would just pay OOP to get drinks as opposed to using the mugs and having to haul them back to country before heading to the parks!

I might be lazy, but my DH works retail and walks miles a day for work so his legs are in fine shape to have gone back and forth, but he didn't want to either!

Have fun with whatever you choose!

lizzyb
12-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I have only been to pop so I would choose it becasue of the bus system.

maxiesmom
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I have to contradict eveyone else about the busses at the ASMu. When we stayed there last year, we had our own bus way more often than we shared. If you stay at the Pop you will always have 50% more people fighting with you for a seat on the bus than you would have at the All Star Music. I like the odds at the All Stars better.

During one stay at the ASMu we were placed in the Broadway section, and it was maybe a 5 minute walk to the front. Not long at all.

DisneyRookie2007
12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
We stayed at POP 3 times and MUSIC once. At MUSIC we stayed in Broadway and it was very quiet, but during my morning coffee run and after being at the park all day the walk was sometimes a bit long. MUSIC had some great pool activities planned during the evening hours (Disney movie) - but we were there in August - so it was very hot. Whatever resort you choose, ask for a room near the pool (but not a preferrred room). Our last stay we were at 60's POP, but on the back side of the pool - much more quiet, but close to everything!

As far as a comparison of both resorts, there is very little difference. However, we found POP had better bus frequency.

Remmy
12-22-2009, 11:17 PM
This is the same type of question I am wrestling with for our 2011 trip. We stayed in the Pop this past January for 13 nights. We were in the '80's walkman building but close to the food court and buses. We loved the location as it was only 5 minutes to each.

We had a few extra non-park days so we visited the All Stars as I do find the hotel icons to be much more Disney, at the movies. My DD has her heart set on the All Stars Music. I had her walk with me to the furthest room back and asked her if she would like to be "stuck" here and have to keep walking back and forth to the food court/gift shop/buses. She said no. I walk for 8 hours each day for my full time job, and even I would not like how long the walk is from the furthest building. My husband and DS (4 and a half at the time) gave up and sat down half way to the furthest room, as they didn't wish to walk the distance. Even in January that resort had I think a cheer leading competition, as there were teenagers everywhere and different signs on their doors and windows. We didn't encounter any large groups at the Pop when we stayed there.

Unless you requested a closer building, and again a request is not a guarantee, I would think about the reasons why you wish to stay there compared to the Pop.

The day we went, they did share buses. I also try to think the amount spent on the bus is very minimal compared to the amount of time we are spending at the parks, thus even though the wait or the time on the bus or if you have to stand, is not that bad in the big picture of things.

For the buses, you do have the option of waiting for another bus if you don't wish to stand. Every time we were on a crowded bus, my DH and I would stand and insist our DD sit with our DS on his lap if we originally had seats to give them up for others with small children or the elderly. I also experienced more than once, people who insisted I sit with DS on my lap and they gave up their seats. I never truly encountered a very bad bus experience.

We had a wonder time at the Pop and I find it hard to go to the All Stars. I keep reading the different reviews and so far, the Pop usually has better reviews.

I wish you the best on your vacation. Remmy:flower3:

jenseib
12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I have only stayed at Pop. For me, I have a hard time trying anything else, because we jsut love pop so much. I have debated trying CBR, but unless we get some amzingly great deal, I think it will always be Pop for us.

jenbear123
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I have stayed at both Pop and ASMu. I would pick Pop hands down. The resort is newer and you don't share buses, meaning only ONE stop :thumbsup2 What I didn't like about ASMu, was the cleanliness of the place. The rooms felt tired, the pools seemed in desperate need of rehab or cleaning, and the food court felt considerably smaller than that of Pop. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip!

Baltazar
12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Pop wins for the lobby building layout.

As for the buses and walking there's no real difference. Pop holds 50% more ppl than Music so the bus stops can get real busy at peak times.

I'd pick the one I haven't been too yet.

BTW: Calypso has the only preferred locations.

blessedby3
12-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I would pick POP for sure- for the busses mainly. They dont share like the All Stars do.
We have stayed there twice and enjoyed POP very much for a value :thumbsup2

Baltazar
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
It's funny when people play the "share a bus card", I was more likely to have to stand on a bus for Pop than any of the Allstars.

To me sharing is more of an asset not a deficit.

maxiesmom
12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I have stayed at both Pop and ASMu. I would pick Pop hands down. The resort is newer and you don't share buses, meaning only ONE stop :thumbsup2 What I didn't like about ASMu, was the cleanliness of the place. The rooms felt tired, the pools seemed in desperate need of rehab or cleaning, and the food court felt considerably smaller than that of Pop. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip!

The rooms at the Music were recently rehabbed, and I can testify to the fact that they now look great!:thumbsup2

And to be honest, we can all go back and forth about the busses all day long. The fact is, ALL bus service stinks at some point. I have had great service at the Music, and horrible service at the Beach Club. Sometimes the service at POR is really great, and other times we have waited 40 minutes for a bus. It is not wise to place too much emphasis on bus service when picking a resort, as the same resort can have gerat service one day, and terrible service the next.

Pick which resort appeals to you. Trying to decide based on bus service is like playing roulette.

Baltazar
12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
And to be honest, we can all go back and forth about the busses all day long. The fact is, ALL bus service stinks at some point.

Indeed ... I've heard complaints and praises about all the resorts.