PDA

View Full Version : Which Deluxe would YOU pick?

Kara
12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
If you had a coupon and could stay at a deluxe, where would you stay and why?

Poly would be out because we would look at something new.

mmmears
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, what are you looking for?

BC/YC has a great pool and a great location if you like Epcot and DHS.

CR & GF are both on the monorail, if you like MK but want to try something other than the Poly.

AKL has IMO the best theming, great activities, and a unique experience with the animals out on the savannas.

Just depends on what you want. We can't ever choose just one, so we end up doing split stays. They are all nice.:goodvibes

ColinCodyMom
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
We absolutely LOVED AKL and look forward to staying there again!! And for our next trip, we are very excited to try CR Tower MK view!!!

Carrie in AZ
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
CR -- loved, loved, loved it when we were there in November. I can't wait to return!

marciemouse
12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
For our next trip, I'm hoping to stay somewhere on the monorail since we'll have our DD (then 3) in tow! I'd love the POLY but interested in CR, too. GF is gorgeous but I think I'd feel out of place with DD.

jharrowell
12-21-2009, 10:56 PM
For our next trip, I'm hoping to stay somewhere on the monorail since we'll have our DD (then 3) in tow! I'd love the POLY but interested in CR, too. GF is gorgeous but I think I'd feel out of place with DD.

GF has a bit of reputation of being "snobbish" but this is totally not true. You'd be absolutely fine there with kids.

GF is absolutely georgous, just a themed as the other resorts but much stubtler. I absolutely loved it and spent my whole time there in jeans and T-shirts and didn't feel out of place.

The only thing I would say is a downside is that if you have a car with you, the self-park car park is actually across the road from the resort, so in the end I just valet parked while I was there.

Kara
12-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Monorail would be nice but I dont want to limit to that. AKL pictures look very cool so far!!
We have two boys, ages 11 and 8....love to swim if they can. Other than that, I'm not picky..I just want to go back LOL!! And the coupon is tempting me!!!!

Guess I need to find all the picture threads...how did you narrow it down???

Kara
12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Everyone does love Epcot as well so I"ll have to take a look at BC/YC too.

mmmears
12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

We stayed at the GF with our DD when she was 2 and again when she was 3 years old. We didn't feel out of place at all. In fact, she loved it there. Don't feel like you can't stay there with a toddler -- after all, it's in WDW and most people there have kids with them!:goodvibes

Monorail would be nice but I dont want to limit to that. AKL pictures look very cool so far!!
We have two boys, ages 11 and 8....love to swim if they can. Other than that, I'm not picky..I just want to go back LOL!! And the coupon is tempting me!!!!

Well, since you like Epcot and the boys love to swim, definitely check out the YC/BC -- they share the best pool on the property.

The pool at AKL is wonderful, too, but no resort pool compares to Stormalong Bay.;)

Going through the specific resort threads, like the AKL one and the BC/YC one will help you narrow down your choices. And check out the photo threads for each resort you are considering -- sometimes looking at the photos can really help you decide which one feels "right" to you.:goodvibes

cbg1027
12-22-2009, 01:01 AM
If was planning to spend most of my time at Epcot and/or DHS, I would stay at the Beach Club for the location and amazing Pool complex.

If I was maybe going to be at MK more, I'd pick the GF. I love it because it's "fancy" but you don't feel out of place walking around in shorts and t-shirt since almost every else is. I could spend hours just sitting in the lobby listening to the pianist there!

tinkbyday
12-22-2009, 04:13 AM
You will get a mix of every possibility on this one!

I would vote YC - we just returned from a stay here and were very pleased.

ancestry
12-22-2009, 04:38 AM
We absolutely love the Epcot resorts -- Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club with preference for the Beach Club because of Storm Along Bay. However this next trip we are going to be staying at the Grand Floridian.

I've stayed at many of the Deluxes through the years. The only one I didn't care for was the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

PearlySwan
12-22-2009, 04:44 AM
How about Wilderness Lodge? It is located in Magic Kingdom and it's an absolutely beautiful deluxe resort. Check it out... ;)

Diznee1234
12-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Boardwalk

robandkelly13
12-22-2009, 06:32 AM
GF is my favorite hands down. We love the decor and DD loves the rock pool. Location and service also make this a favorite pick. We always do a split stay betwwen the GF and AKV-Kidani (We're DVC members). We love Kidani too, but not Jambo so much. Each has its perks, I would feel slighted if I couldn't stay at both each trip - these are my favorites:goodvibes

abubu919
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I'd say BW and BC are my favorites!

caroline1851
12-22-2009, 07:33 AM
BC or YC becuase of location on the boardwalk and proximity to EPC and DHS.

DizGirl20
12-22-2009, 07:45 AM

1. Check out this website. TONS of pictures! http://allears.net/index.html

2. Have you even considered a DVC Resort? We have 2 girls, same ages, stayed at Old Key West in a 1-bedroom villa last year. Our villa was HUGE and had a kitchen and washer/dryer. I would strongly urge you to consider a DVC resort. I think price-wise Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are on par with the Deluxe Resorts. And you get sooooo much more! :thumbsup2

3. If I had to pick a Deluxe - I would go with Beach/Yacht Club for the same reasons others have mentioned here.

Happy Planning!

ppan77
12-22-2009, 08:03 AM
If you will have your own car do AKL. Your kids will love it!! But the buses can be a downfall. I wouldnt hesitate if you have a car to drive to the parks. If no car, I would do an Epcot resort. My first pick would be Beach Club.

Princess Disney Mom
12-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I'd pick Poly because we have never been.

KatMark
12-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Our choice would be the AKL with a savannah view or the Beach Club. We've already done the CR and the Poly and none of the other deluxes hold that much appeal to us (two we definitely wouldn't do are the WL and the GF...the others we might consider).

yaddo121
12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
For something new I'd like to try Boardwalk...it seems like a neat place. Out of the two deluxes we've stayed at I would love to return to AKL.

CindyIsMyFave
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
My all time fave is GF. I grew up going there (remember the days when it was $99/night when it first opened?). It is not snobbish at all - might be a teeny bit more girly though? Since I think you said you had boys?

My 2nd fave is Poly -- also from childhood. And the decor is so much fun.

However, and part of me can't believe I'm saying this but, I might pick Beach Club for you. Proximity to 2 parks is great. You can't beat the pool. And it is closer to EPCOT, etc. than the Yacht Club. It is really a lovely resort too.

bitohoney
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
AKL - love it! Chose GF for next trip! Sooooooooooo excited! :yay:

jeanylaser
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Polynesian!

robinbutterfly
12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
CR or BLT

rhyeck
12-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Wilderness Lodge... especially around Christmas!!! :santa:

DisneyMomx7
12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
BC is our favorite resort! If you kids love to swim that's the place to be. It is great to be able to walk over to EPCOT for dinner. BC is a really fun place - especially for kids!

sandymandr
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
My kids love to swim too, I would stay at BC! It looks like a mini waterpark! Now, if I didn't have the kids or was going in cooler months, CR or GF to be close to MK, I've always wanted to stay at both of those. We stayed at AKL last time, but honestly I was not impressed. Yes, it is very nice resort if you are going to be there for much time, but the pool is not much better than the mods, and they now share buses with Kidani village which was frustrating to me. We always waited on buses from MK while the other bus stops were empty.

freshlybarked
12-22-2009, 01:35 PM
We only stay at Fort Wilderness because we've spent vacation budget on a RV, however...if I were to say any place else it would be WL. I love it there. We go at least once a trip for lunch or dinner and to sit in front of the fire or just sit in the lobby. It is a wonderful place.

MickeyNicki
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Poly is our first choice but if I could not get that I would go to the YC or the BWI

Sue M
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I've stayed at WL & AKL an loved em both! Beautiful resorts. Our next dream resort is Poly in Jan, check!
If it was summer, my next pick would be BC/YC for location and Stormalong Bay. Then GF, & CR.
Have fun deciding where to stay.

larryz
12-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Beach Club with the younger boys.

Yacht Club is nicer (IMHO) but BC is a little bit closer to Epcot.

Both are the same distance from the pool.

AimeeMichele
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I've stayed at the Poly, CR, AKL, and just returned from the GF. I stayed at the Poly and CR when I was younger, at least 10+ years ago and loved both of them. However, the GF by far is my favorite resort! I took my nephews (ages 7 & 3) as well as my mother. We didn't think anything or anyone at the resort was snobby. Everything is bright, airy and very clean. The boys "just loved that tree", waterfall pool and the 24-hr pool. Before we left they made me promise that when we return we stay at the GF again; which I readily agreed to. :rotfl2: We had a lagoon view room and would could watch the electric water parade from our balcony....we could also watch the monorail from our room, which my youngest nephew was a bit obsessed with. A short walk was Gasparilla's Grill which had a delicious grilled southwest chicken sandwich and other tasty items. We would also go over and grab a table, or walk over by Narcosses around the MK fireworks time and had a great view of them. Transportation was a breeze! The monorail and boat rides were great! The bus transporation (which was severly lacking when I stayed at the AKL in January 2009) was fast, they have an attendant there to answer any questions you have and tell you when the next bus is coming, have lots of benches to sit on as well as a tv. I didn't have one negative experience at this resort and have no hesistation of recommending it to others. I can't wait for our next trip in October and returning to the GF. :cloud9: If you decide to try it, I hope you fall in love with it as I did

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
The Contemporary because their standard rooms are among the biggest, it's the least expensive Monorail Resort and their overall location to the Magic Kingdom speaks for itself.

aurian
12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I took my wife to the Contemporary in October (her first visit) she loved it. I did too. Giving Grand Floridian a try in February, there was nothing available for Contemporary for Passholders or with our Pin code. Should be nice though.

SummerIrmoma2_3
12-22-2009, 11:06 PM
We like to stay at BC for SAB and the location. We have had bad experiences with Disney buses and having so many little ones/strollers that we try to avoid them as much as possible. At BC (or really any of the BW area resorts) we walk to EPCOT through the international gateway and take the boat or walk to Hollywood Studios, and have even walked through EPCOT with our park hopper passes to take the monorail to MK so we really only HAD to take the bus to AK or to MK for an early ADR.

GrumpyBelle
12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I would pick WL or AKL for the theming.

RobinHoodGirl
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Only deluxe I'm stayed at multiple times is Wilderness Lodge so I'd recommend that, however I've only stayed at Magic Kingdom resorts, but in February I'll be staying at Boardwalk and already in love with the theme there...

But as of now I'd vote for Wilderness lodge - boat to MK, easy access to monorail for Epcot and other monorail resorts and never had a problem with their buses to Downtown Disney, Animal Kingdom or Disney Hollywood Studios

Kara
12-27-2009, 11:51 PM
1. Check out this website. TONS of pictures! http://allears.net/index.html

2. Have you even considered a DVC Resort? We have 2 girls, same ages, stayed at Old Key West in a 1-bedroom villa last year. Our villa was HUGE and had a kitchen and washer/dryer. I would strongly urge you to consider a DVC resort. I think price-wise Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are on par with the Deluxe Resorts. And you get sooooo much more! :thumbsup2

3. If I had to pick a Deluxe - I would go with Beach/Yacht Club for the same reasons others have mentioned here.

Happy Planning!

Could I use the coupon there?

Kara
12-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Wilderness LOdge I would need to see pics, I'm more of a beachy theme person. Poly is out because we've done a big trip there before and I want to try something different. We most likely will not have a car...and MK would be one of the parks we visit the least because the kids like other stuff now. Going to look at pics!! Thanks for all your help so far!

Kara
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
are WL and AKL similar in their themeing, etc?

mmmears
12-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Wilderness LOdge I would need to see pics, I'm more of a beachy theme person. Poly is out because we've done a big trip there before and I want to try something different. We most likely will not have a car...and MK would be one of the parks we visit the least because the kids like other stuff now. Going to look at pics!! Thanks for all your help so far!

If you like beachy theming, why not stay at the Beach Club or the Yacht Club? They have a great pool, great location if you're not totally into the MK, and access to so many restaurants. You can walk or boat to both Epcot and DHS.;)

ClareH37
12-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I love the Epcot resorts, but mainly because Epcot is my favourite park.

If I had to pick one, I would go with the BWI, it's the smallest resort (Inn, not the villas) and the new rooms are beautiful, I always feel the BWI has an air of calm and class, but definitely without any stuffiness.

I also enjoyed the GF but, IMHO, the rooms are a little 'tired' and having now stayed at the newly refurb'ed BWI, their rooms are far superior, again just my opinion.

Ginger Girl
12-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Our dream resort is the BC. The location, pool and staff can be beat!!!

gailanncreates
12-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I will never be staying at AKL; themeing and food do not appeal at all and way too far out from everything. Glad that lots of others like it.
WL was great, but we really loved being in the Epcot area at YC; would love to do CL at BWI!!:banana:

Forever Fairy
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
GF is my favorite hands down. We love the decor and DD loves the rock pool. Location and service also make this a favorite pick. We always do a split stay betwwen the GF and AKV-Kidani (We're DVC members). We love Kidani too, but not Jambo so much. Each has its perks, I would feel slighted if I couldn't stay at both each trip - these are my favorites:goodvibes

AK is great but there are limited food choices there. Only one CS at the main lodge, 1 buffet and 1 restaurant.

If your kids love swimming I'd recommend Stormalong at the BC/YC. They have fun competitions for the kids and it's a huge pool!

ppony
12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
See my signature for my vote. :thumbsup2 We've stayed at almost every deluxe (other than the ones around Epcot because we don't care for their theming and decor) and AKL was the first place we felt just that huge rush of relaxation and relief when walking into the lobby. It's the first place we felt "at home" which is why we just bought in. Three years after we stayed there but hey. :lovestruc The feeling stuck w/ us. IMO and for US, location is relative. We're ON WDW property, so it's only minutes more to get anywhere as opposed to hours. I'll drive for 4 more minutes to feel a little more secluded thanks! :goodvibes I don't need a park to be in my back yard to feel close to it.

Edit: though I just read the OP wants a more beach theme. AKL is out then. But for ME, being in FL alone is beachy enough. you can smell it! :) the second you get off a plane. Well, I can. ;)

GrumpyBelle
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM

If you are a beachy theme person, I would probably choose beach club over WL and AKL.

afcgirl
12-29-2009, 08:50 AM
AKL or WL

DonaldDoleWhip
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
GF is my favorite resort by far, and it has a beautiful beach...but honestly, it sounds like Beach Club is the perfect fit for you. The pool is the best, there's no competition. The atmosphere is extremely casual and relaxing. And you're a short walk/boat ride away from Epcot, the Boardwalk, and Hollywood Studios.

The Room:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/004.jpg

The Exterior:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/020.jpg

You can see Epcot in the background:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/036.jpg

The Slide:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/172.jpg

The Pool:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/025.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/176.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/179.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/181.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/184.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/029.jpg

Beaches and Cream:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/349.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/DoleWhip/WDW%20August%202008/348.jpg

pixiechick
12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
I would choose one of the Epcot resorts. My personal preference is BW, but for you, I'd suggest Beach Club.

- 5 minute walk to Epcot, and not too far from HS on foot
- a beach theme (yacht is a little more subdued)
- the boys will love the pool-games in the afternoon, a cool slide, the lazy river
- they have a large game room
- you can walk around to the Boardwalk at night to hang out and watch the entertainment
- Swan/Dolphin is very close and they have a great counter service restaurant that is open long hours (maybe even 24?)
-across the street is a mini golf location

My only real negative with BC is that the balconies tend to be small and many of them are walkout ones. However, I believe that Yacht club has all full size ones. If you can book or rent a villa at BC, you avoid that issue all together.

ppony
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
To the OP, I wanted to add to my previous post, I TOTALLY understand about beachy as opposed to a lodge theme. That is normally me totally. We live in MN and get our fill of log cabin themes. Which is why I don't care for the WL though we did stay there once. AKL just felt so much different despite them being designed by the same architect I believe. It is darker though where the beachy themes are lighter. I was actually VERY surprised I loved the AKL as much as I did because I much prefer my environment to be light, not dark, and tropical, not woodsy. AKL just surpassed all those feelings in some way and despite it being dark, it's exotic and that I think was the key.

Enjoy the research! Even if you choose not to stay at the AKL, do try and visit. :goodvibes Perhaps you'll have the same feelings I did.

TillyMarigold
12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm dreaming of a split stay between the Contemporary (for the monorail) and the AKL (because it's AKL and it's gorgeous) ... we'd do just a couple nights at AKL at the end, and only go to the Animal Kingdom those days.

Other front-runners would be the Grand Floridian (also for the monorail), the Beach Club (for walkability and theming), and maybe Yacht Club in a pinch (since it's so similar to Beach Club).

To me the Boardwalk feels too fussy (the Grand Floridian does not!) and I can't stand the themes of the Poly or WL. And don't even get me started on the Swan and Dolphin. Nothing quite ruins a nice stroll around World Showcase Lagoon like gazing past France and seeing the Swan.