PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century Renovation in 2010?

thesupersmartguy
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
From Mouse Planet's WDW weekly update:

Construction update

Here is the listing of interesting items from paperwork filed with Orange County in the last week:

* Magic Kingdom parking lot milling and overlayment of main entrance and exit roads, east tram lane, Sneezy and Donald parking lots.
* Magic Kingdom milling and overlayment of Park 3 Canal Road.
* Main Entrance/TTC installation of fiber optic cabling and electrical outlets.
* Magic Kingdom Main Street carpentry and electrical work.
* Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland electrical work.
* Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station modification of existing handrails and installation of new ceiling fans.
* Epcot France pavilion wine shop POS CCTV cameras installation.
* Disney's Hollywood Studios Stage 1 Company Store removal and replacement of 13 windows.
* Disney's Hollywood Studios Oscar's Stroller Rental POS CCTV cameras installation.
* Downtown Disney Team Disney electrical work.
* Grand Floridian Resort building work.
* Contemporary Resort Convention Center loading dock removal of existing sliding door system and replacement with new, high speed and roll-down metal door system.
* Contemporary Resort Convention Center cast parking installation of electrical outlets.
* Wilderness Lodge milling and overlayment of the entrance & exit of the porte cochere and parking lot road.
* Yacht & Beach Club Resorts walkway retaining wall concrete inventory and demolition with installation of new concrete.
* Coronado Springs Resort Dig Site pool building replacement of heat exchanger.
* Pop Century Resort all buildings guest room rehab.

eeyorethegreat
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Now if only they would do something with the "legendary" years!

Nadjalu
12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
So what actually happens when they are refurbing a resort?

Is the occupancy severly cut down or how do they work that?

Is there specific months or weeks they are doing this?

We are planning to go in 2010, not sure when but we stay at POP.

thesupersmartguy
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
It looks like they usually do a section at a time. They sometimes add new furnishings, but usually they redo the carpet, bedspreads, curtains etc...

kaytieeldr
12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
* Epcot France pavilion wine shop – POS CCTV cameras installation.

* Disney's Hollywood Studios Oscar's Stroller Rental – POS CCTV cameras installation.Now, THESE two updates are, um, 'interesting'...

Can somebody please keep an eye out for the installation of an auto-open door anywhere at Cosmic Ray's? I'll go back when I can get into this restaurant without assistance.

jeanylaser
12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
thanks for the info!

wdwgirl100
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I just returned from Pop Century, I didn't have a horrible time but I do hope they manage to find a way to do better sound proofing. It is really bad to lay in bed and hear all of your neighbors using the toilet.

mistysue
12-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Crap. I hope they aren't working there in August. They were finishing up CSR while we were there... I was assured they were done with my building when we got there. Actually, we were the first guests back in our room which meant the bathroom pretty much fell apart when we arrived, our elevator was shut down, they were drilling in rooms around us a lot of the day and they kept testing our fire alarms during my 7 month old's nap time. Now I booked at POP this year, looks like construction just likes me. :headache:

Tammydc30
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Just looked on Mouse Planet, didn't see the same info you have???? :confused3

kaytieeldr
12-22-2009, 07:54 PM
I just returned from Pop Century, I didn't have a horrible time but I do hope they manage to find a way to do better sound proofing. It is really bad to lay in bed and hear all of your neighbors using the toilet.
Well, no, to be honest that's probably not one of the items involved in a refurbishment. It's generally cosmetic. Adding soundproofing would mean going into - if not destroying/rebuilding completely - many walls.

One tip: keep your bathroom door closed at night.

Nadjalu
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes keeping the bathroom door shut at night does work. We used this tip 2 weeks ago and no issues. ;)

jenbear123
12-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can hear those "super suction" toilets no matter where you stay. Value or Deluxe. Doesn't matter. I guess these toilets are so powerful that the sound penetrates the thickest of walls :laughing:

lllGurulll
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, hopefully this won't affect my stay in late May.

MinnieLuvsMickey09
12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Just got back from POP on Monday and I will agree closing the bathroom door at night does tone down the toilet flushing sounds..

zimaaaaah
12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree - too much information some times. We did start shutting the door which DOES help. Not eliminate, but help. Those are some loud toilets!

MinnieMommy07
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Was just wondering if anyone visiting or in the know had more info. Will this be an update of fresh paint and blankets or is there going to be a whole new look? :cutie:

chicky monkey
01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I am very interested in getting more information about the renovations at Pop as we are going the first week of May.

Does anyone know anything more specific...especially the nature of the renovations and when they will happen?

Thanks in advance. :)

Poohbear123
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Cool... some of the rooms NEED and Update, some look pretty good.:thumbsup2 My DS is staying there in 15 days, so I will see if anything is happening.;)

DreaGirl
01-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope it's done by May. I have read nightmares of other hotels, the recent was Coronado Springs.

trekker93
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
We've stayed at Pop the last 3 years and felt the rooms, beds, etc. were very nice. So I'm surprised about this. Does anyone know if this is on the rooms or service building upgrades?:surfweb:

candielips
01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know any other website we can go to find out some more concrete info about a POP rehab and dates?
We are going late Sept/early Oct and would LOVE a fresh new feel to a resort we already love!

DreaGirl
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
That's true. I thought when we were there in 2008 every room had just gotten new beds.

nurse.darcy
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Turbo toilets are. . .well. . .loud. Honestly it is good for the environment but BAAAAAADDDDD for the sleeping public. . .

Also, I have noticed some "lumpy" beds of late. . .I guess it is probably time for a refurb. . .Fresh paint, carpet and mattresses sounds like a winner to me. . .

thesupersmartguy
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Was just wondering if anyone visiting or in the know had more info. Will this be an update of fresh paint and blankets or is there going to be a whole new look? :cutie:

I contacted Ownthemagic.com and they said it's going to be a refreshed look.

The furniture will be the same, but the armoire will be modified to accommodate 32" Flat Panels, Headboards will be raised 4" and there will be new comforters, curtains, carpet and shower curtains.

They also said they have a twin comforter from Pop for sale if anyone was interested. :)

DreaGirl
01-20-2010, 07:18 AM

The furniture will be the same, but the armoire will be modified to accommodate 32" Flat Panels, Headboards will be raised 4" and there will be new comforters, curtains, carpet and shower curtains.

They also said they have a twin comforter from Pop for sale if anyone was interested. :)

Oh, that's great! Thanks!

Did they know a timeline?

katieam1
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM

I totally agree!! That was one of our problems with Pop. Plus, our neighbors next to us fought their whole trip and at midnight they were screaming and slamming doors the whole time. I could hear word for word what they were saying. They also smoked right out their door too and our room smelled terrible the whole time from the smoke seeping through the door. That was our first ever value stay. We usually stay at POR. We went back in August to PORFQ!! Maybe some day I will try it again! :confused3

thesupersmartguy
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, that's great! Thanks!

Did they know a timeline?

They said 9 months to a year.

MUFFYCAT
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I was there in Noivember and thought the room was fine. The furniture still looked good to me. :confused3

DreaGirl
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
They said 9 months to a year.

Great! Thanks!

momtwoboys
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
when is this slated to begin? Jan?

crusoe2
01-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Just bumping this back to page 1 to see if anyone has any info on when this is supposed to begin. We're booked for Pop June 5-12 so I'm wondering if we'll have a shot at getting a refurbed room. I'm also a little concerned about what to expect if they're still working on it while we're there. Any idea if there will be a noise problem or any other type of inconvenience from this?

SWAMPBO
01-21-2010, 10:36 AM
I was wondering the same thing...Hoping my room will have the new flat screen in it...

candielips
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
We are going in Sept/Oct and had been thinking of trying a new resort but if the rooms are going to be refurbed by then, we will definitely keep our existing reservation at POP.

Christine9125
01-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I read it has already started in building 6

jenseib
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
How cool. Pop did just get mattress in the last year or so, so I don't know if they will be changing those out. I would rather be at Pop with lots of renovation noises then here at hoem anytime!

DreaGirl
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
How cool. Pop did just get mattress in the last year or so, so I don't know if they will be changing those out. I would rather be at Pop with lots of renovation noises then here at hoem anytime!

Yup! Me too!:lovestruc

crusoe2
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I would rather be at Pop with lots of renovation noises then here at hoem anytime!

Yep, me too. DH not so much, tho. He's not thrilled about staying there in the first place. So I'm just trying to get some idea if this could be bad enough to warrant changing resorts. I'm thinking that surely they wouldn't put guests in rooms too close to where the work is going on. But I've never been at a resort that was having the rooms refurbed so :confused3.

disnut1149
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi
We were at Pop this past October and our beds felt so hard. I had heard that some of the mattresses had already been replaced. I've been to Pop before, and never remembered our beds being this hard. Did we have a new mattress? I hope all the beds aren't going to be like that one. I wouldn't want to go back. I talked to a manager and he was going to give us another mattress, but we were only there for 3 nights for the Halloween party, so I told him not to bother. So does anyone know if all the mattresses will be replaced?

jenseib
01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi
We were at Pop this past October and our beds felt so hard. I had heard that some of the mattresses had already been replaced. I've been to Pop before, and never remembered our beds being this hard. Did we have a new mattress? I hope all the beds aren't going to be like that one. I wouldn't want to go back. I talked to a manager and he was going to give us another mattress, but we were only there for 3 nights for the Halloween party, so I told him not to bother. So does anyone know if all the mattresses will be replaced?

They all were replaced about a year or so ago. We went last March after the replcement and they wer wonderful...and I have a bad back, but I have heard others complain too. I think it all depends on the person.

candielips
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I like a plush bed and had no complaints of firmness last May.
Do you think if we called the resort directly they would have a more definite answer on dates?

jenseib
01-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I like a plush bed and had no complaints of firmness last May.
Do you think if we called the resort directly they would have a more definite answer on dates?

Usually you are directed to a call center that just answers like they are at the resort, but they aren't.

Mommy2ArmyBrat
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I hope we get to stay in a renovated room during our August stay. I wonder if you can request a renovated room? :confused3

flamestarrdust
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I hope we get to stay in a renovated room during our August stay. I wonder if you can request a renovated room? :confused3

I was hoping that, too, since I will also be there in August.

CanadianGuy
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Typically this goes very fast.. they close down one building at a time and lug out the old bedding, furniture, TV's etc and replace and replenish as they go.

Painting, wallpaper (or wallpaper trim) carpets and drapes and usually new mattresses are part of the process. I wonder if they'll put flat screen TVs?

I was at All Star Sports while this was happening on an adjacent building. It's incredibly non-obtrusive and not at all noisy.. so there's nothing to worry about that way.

letstalkboutdisney
01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
I was hoping that, too, since I will also be there in August.

We may be going in August too. it would be great to have a renovated room!

KELLY
01-27-2010, 06:51 AM
We were there in October and found the beds to be way more comfy then the ones we slept on in POFQ in April. The only thing I noticed was getting worn was really the carpet other than that everything seem in pretty great shape.

SnowandMittens
01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I'd love to see pics as soon as someone has any.

MinnieMommy07
01-27-2010, 01:41 PM

So is the bed comforter, carpet and curtains etc. going to be the same pattern or a new pattern? :cutie:

sgearing1126
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Are they going to refurb Movies Resort that's the one that looks like it needs it. Looks like Music and Sports were much nicer. Getting worried because we are supposed to be staying at Movies in September :(

CanadianGuy
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
This thread was closed because of it's age. There's been no announcement about any other refurbs other than Pop Century, POR/FQ and the building of the new resort "Animation Inn & Suites"

Thanks,

K