PDA

View Full Version : Booked for AKL!

MareSINY
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey Everyone :)

Well, I have officially lost my mind. :lmao: I returned from Disney on November 7th and have just booked another trip for January 23rd. :cool1:

I FINALLY convinced my older sister to come with me on a girls only trip. I live with my younger sister and her family, so I usually go with my nieces who I love dearly, but I'm really looking forward to an adult trip, no kids, get to eat at restaurants we don't usually get to because of the kids, explore areas the kids aren't usually interested in, etc. etc... it should be a lot of fun!!

We're booked at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savannah View. I've never stayed at AKL, so I'm really looking forward to it!!

Any suggestions for room requests or should we be happy with anything we get there?

Reddog1134
12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
A popular answer to thisquestion seems to be "2nd floor near the lobby".

A lot of people say the higher floors are too far away from the animals and that the animals tend to hang out near the lobby area.

OceanStateKelly
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Well, I have officially lost my mind. :lmao: I returned from Disney on November 7th and have just booked another trip for January 23rd. :cool1:

I FINALLY convinced my older sister to come with me on a girls only trip. I live with my younger sister and her family, so I usually go with my nieces who I love dearly, but I'm really looking forward to an adult trip, no kids, get to eat at restaurants we don't usually get to because of the kids, explore areas the kids aren't usually interested in, etc. etc... it should be a lot of fun!!

We're booked at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savannah View. I've never stayed at AKL, so I'm really looking forward to it!!

Any suggestions for room requests or should we be happy with anything we get there?

Hi
Well be there January 22ed AKL with Savannah View too, would love to hear anybody suggestions for room lo-cal. Have a wonderful trip. :woohoo:

mmmears
12-21-2009, 02:46 PM
I hope you just LOVE:love: AKL!!! It's a wonderful place to stay. Very special and unique.

As for room location, there are several things to consider. Do you want to be closer to the lobby, or are you more interested in getting great views of the animals?

We've stayed there twice, CL, so that's 4th floor SV.

If we were to stay regular SV, I'd ask for 3rd floor -- the lobby is on the 3rd floor, so that will save you time going up and down the elevators. Also, I think that 3rd or 4th floor is the best for viewing the animals.

We generally ask to be closer to the lobby for convenience, but the rooms way far out in the wings have IMO better views of the savannas. So I'd ask for one or the other. Just be aware that the hallways are very long, so if you have any mobility issues, let them know that when you request your room.

For more info, there is a great AKL thread here on this board with lots of photos and people who can give you advice!

Hope this helps, and hope you love AKL as much as we do!:cloud9:

Sienna
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
We'll be there too! Sounds like AKL is the place to be in late January! :cheer2:

Pygoplites
12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi
Well be there January 22ed AKL with Savannah View too, would love to hear anybody suggestions for room lo-cal. Have a wonderful trip. :woohoo:

I have AKL Savanna View that week, too (Jan 19-26)! DISBoard AKL mini-meet, anyone?

nathanyell
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm checking in on the 23rd after 6 days at WL. My first time, were staying in a standard room. Maybe we'll see you around :-)

Brian

Sue M
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
We loved our stay at AKL. I prefer a high floor. We stayed on Kudu Trail with view of Sunset Savanna. Many people prefer being on Zebra trail with Arusha Savanna view. This is also the same side that pool, restaurants and CS, The Mara is, so it's just an elevator ride down. If you are on the other trail, Zebra, you have to cross lobby to get to restaurants, etc. This didn't bother me, as I love walking around the beautiful lobby, but some find it inconvienent.
Beware of you do choose the 3rd floor off lobby, there will be alot of foot traffic going past your room. Personally, I wouldn't like it.
I believe the pool will be closed in Jan for refirb.
http://allears.net/acc/aklmap.jpg

MareSINY
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. WOW, I can't believe so many of us are going to be there at the same time!!

I'm really excited about going with the kids, it's going to be fun to see the parks soley from an adults perspective. Not to mention getting to eat at restaurants I can't eat at with the picky kids. I'm only eating at one restaurant I've eaten at in the past, all the rest are new to me.

Thanks for posting the map, Sue. I didn't realize how large AKL is! I need to start researching the resort a little more. I usually stay at CR, last trip we stayed at THV's, so this will be a totally new experience for me. Are all the wings in AKL attached to the main building, or are they similar to the garden view wing at CR where you have to walk outside to get to the wing?

Anyone have suggestions for two grown women doing Disney by themselves for the first time? What's a must do for adults? I'm open to suggestions!!

Sue M
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. WOW, I can't believe so many of us are going to be there at the same time!!

I'm really excited about going with the kids, it's going to be fun to see the parks soley from an adults perspective. Not to mention getting to eat at restaurants I can't eat at with the picky kids. I'm only eating at one restaurant I've eaten at in the past, all the rest are new to me.

Thanks for posting the map, Sue. I didn't realize how large AKL is! I need to start researching the resort a little more. I usually stay at CR, last trip we stayed at THV's, so this will be a totally new experience for me. Are all the wings in AKL attached to the main building, or are they similar to the garden view wing at CR where you have to walk outside to get to the wing?

Anyone have suggestions for two grown women doing Disney by themselves for the first time? What's a must do for adults? I'm open to suggestions!!

They are all attached. Just long halls! The walk doesn't bother me, but some find it too long and request a room near elevator. I like a quiet location :rolleyes:

We loved the Evening animal viewing with the night scopes, Evening Cultural exchange, and Culinary tour. Also walking around Arusha Rock when the interpreters are there. The gift shop is great, lots of interesting African art, etc there. Not your typical resort gift shop.

Boma is one of my fav. restaurants. When we were there (Jan 09) Kidani wasn't open yet.

The pool is very nice, but it won't be open in Jan, I have heard you can go to use Kidani pool. I loved the AKL hot tub near Zebra trail side. It's a bit secluded, and very restful.

We like to go to the parks at opening, then come back to resort for a mid day break, enjoy resort, pool, hot tub, balcony, happy hour ;) Then have dinner and if there is an evening EMH park go there. If not, go to DTD or back to resort for evening activities. If there is no EMH park, I usually will eat back at resort and enjoy any evening activities there.
AKL now has 3 great TS- Boma, Jiko, and now Saana which I will try one day!

Hope you have a great trip.