PDA

View Full Version : Just returned today... quite a few complaints

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I've been to Disney World more times than I can count, and this is the first time I'm coming back with complaints.

First, I was sad to see that all of the resorts have the same mug now. I liked having a special mug from my resort with the year on it from prior vacations. I'm still surprised to see people using Dixie Landings mugs... and getting away with it!

We stayed at All Star Sports, which was not my choice. We were trying to save money this time, but I think it's the last time I'll stay there. Two out of the three vending machines in my building were broken, and when I went to the front desk to get my money back, I felt like I was getting the third degree. The food court food has significantly gone down the tubes there since they first opened. I wanted some healthy options, but they're much more pricey and very bland.

Our neighbors next door were kids with no adult supervision. The kids would run up and down the corridor at all times of the day beginning at 6:30am. They would stomp all the way down the hall and then bang loudly on the door. Then the door would slam shut. We called front desk several times for a solution, but nothing was ever resolved.

We even helped put out a fire near the pool (leaves on a light fixture had gotten hot and started a flame), and we didn't even get a "thank you".

We utilized the new online check-in option and selected 2 options that were important to us- close to food court and on the ground floor. We were far away from the food court and on the third floor.

I went to WDW this time wanting only one thing to take home... a 2009 ornament. Could not find ONE ornament with the year on it. They had junky 2010 ornaments, but who would be buying one of those NOW? Now you have to buy a plain ornament and pay $3 to have someone paint the year on it.

I really enjoyed MVMCP the last time we went in 2007, but it was just too crowded this time. I doubt I'll do it again.

Cast members seemed more miserable. I found the merchandise to look a lot cheaper now as well.

Oh, and could the quick service restaurants find anything remotely healthy to serve?

I'm sad to say it, but I really didn't enjoy this trip at all.

RMulieri
12-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I've been to Disney World more times than I can count, and this is the first time I'm coming back with complaints.

First, I was sad to see that all of the resorts have the same mug now. I liked having a special mug from my resort with the year on it from prior vacations. I'm still surprised to see people using Dixie Landings mugs... and getting away with it!

We stayed at All Star Sports, which was not my choice. We were trying to save money this time, but I think it's the last time I'll stay there. Two out of the three vending machines in my building were broken, and when I went to the front desk to get my money back, I felt like I was getting the third degree. The food court food has significantly gone down the tubes there since they first opened. I wanted some healthy options, but they're much more pricey and very bland.

Our neighbors next door were kids with no adult supervision. The kids would run up and down the corridor at all times of the day beginning at 6:30am. They would stomp all the way down the hall and then bang loudly on the door. Then the door would slam shut. We called front desk several times for a solution, but nothing was ever resolved.

We even helped put out a fire near the pool (leaves on a light fixture had gotten hot and started a flame), and we didn't even get a "thank you".

We utilized the new online check-in option and selected 2 options that were important to us- close to food court and on the ground floor. We were far away from the food court and on the third floor.

I went to WDW this time wanting only one thing to take home... a 2009 ornament. Could not find ONE ornament with the year on it. They had junky 2010 ornaments, but who would be buying one of those NOW? Now you have to buy a plain ornament and pay $3 to have someone paint the year on it.

I really enjoyed MVMCP the last time we went in 2007, but it was just too crowded this time. I doubt I'll do it again.

Cast members seemed more miserable. I found the merchandise to look a lot cheaper now as well.

Oh, and could the quick service restaurants find anything remotely healthy to serve?

We just got back too and had an awful time finding a 2009 ornament.Found one finally in the Xmas shop at the MK.Albeit not a nice one..Had great Cms never an issue anywhere

BfloChick
12-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your trip was disappointing.

Disneyfan18951
12-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I know what you mean about service being down. I had one of my worst trips 09/09. Very few nice CMs most were surly and some almost mean. The food quality was way down over previous trips.

I guess Disney figures people will keep coming back no matter what :confused3 I hope things improve. I travel at off times so it is not like it is super crowded.

One thing: some mugs from a LONG time ago were sold as LIFETIME use not just trip use so the Dixie landing mugs most likely fall under that catagory.

kinggoofy
12-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I think the main reason why you could not find any 2009 ornaments is because sometime after Thanksgiving, (we were there 11-26 to 12-6) ALL 2009 stuff was put on a 50% discount. Shirts, backpacks, ornaments.,etc.

I want to say the 50% off discount started everywhere on Mon Nov 30th or Tues Dec 1st. By the time we left on Dec 6th....all the "good" stuff was gone.

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I think the main reason why you could not find any 2009 ornaments is because sometime after Thanksgiving, (we were there 11-26 to 12-6) ALL 2009 stuff was put on a 50% discount. Shirts, backpacks, ornaments.,etc.

I want to say the 50% off discount started everywhere on Mon Nov 30th or Tues Dec 1st. By the time we left on Dec 6th....all the "good" stuff was gone.

That's really odd that they do that since the busiest week of the year is Christmas, so why not have enough ornaments for those who visit during the busiest time?

kinggoofy
12-19-2009, 01:45 PM
That's really odd that they do that since the busiest week of the year is Christmas, so why not have enough ornaments for those who visit during the busiest time?

They basically have already made their money on the 2009 items. Plus, their fiscal year ended i think end of September beginning of October. I would think by them putting 09 stuff at a 50% discount they think they would sell more of it off fast. It worked for us. 2009 blue sweatshirts reg. 35.00 on sale for 17.50.

daisyduck123
12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I got my 2009 ornaments when I was there this summer.

Guess I'll be sure to get the 2010 ones when we are there next summer.

2boys1girl
12-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I also just returned from Disney a little disappointed.

My main disappointments:

All the bathrooms in the parks were filthy.

Went to Planet Hollywood Dec. 10(last day or two of Pop Warner) and the 2 top floors had cheerleaders. They were literally screaming cheers at the top of their lungs. The problem was the dj was encouraging them. It was horrible!

Could not find any Disney photo takers(whatever they are called). Usually they are everywhere not this trip.

tinkbyday
12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
We just returned yesterday.

We were able to find 2009 ornaments at several locations.

As for the CMs - we found just about every one we encountered to be pleasant and helpful. I'm sorry you did not have the same impression.

I agree that the MVMCP was very crowded - we attended the 12/13 one and were surprised at just how many people were there.

Native NYer
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear your trip was less than magical.

scanne
12-19-2009, 03:35 PM

This is something that was implemented two years ago (approx.) to cut cost for Disney. It's cheaper for them to mass produce one style. With so many resorts now, this is understandable. I usually buy a magnet from the resort we stay at and put it on my fridge.

If you felt that you were being treated rudely by a CM at the front desk, you should have asked for a manager. It's unfortunate that the vending machines were not working, but I'll bet most guests don't use them a lot. The food courts at the All Stars (in my opinion) are there to make large quantities of food for large numbers of guests quickly. Unfortunately, fried, greasy food = quick food. I do recall seeing fruit cups, yogurts and whole pieces of fruit at Pop's food court....I can't believe All Star Sports didn't have any of that. :confused3

Unruly kids are a result of no/poor parental supervision. A security guard may have warned them, but if no one was supervising the kids, then they're bound to misbehave.

Isn't it nice, though, that you did a good deed? Just knowing you helped should be 'thanks' enough.

Being close to the food court is now a room category - preferred - and has to be booked with your initial reservation. If you were unhappy with your room location, you could have asked to be relocated if something else was available.

Disney is a business - plain and simple. Paying another $3.00 for 2009 may be worth it to some people to commemorate their trip.

I found MVMCP to be ok compared to MNSSHP. I won't be rushing back to either. For the $$$ spent, those parties get very crowded and are lacking the perks I found to be at parties in 2003 and 2004.

CM's are understaffed and tired. Not saying it's an excuse, but with cutbacks, that's what you'll get. I have always found that if I approach a situation in a positive way, I'll get a positive result. I'm sorry you didn't encounter more magical CM's.

Oh, and could the quick service restaurants find anything remotely healthy to serve? There are a lot of QS places that offer salads, wraps, roasted chicken, fresh veggies, etc. It's not all burgers and hot dogs.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your next WDW trip will be more magical and more memorable.

frostymom
12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Glad we picked up our ornament in the summer too. Maybe if you look online, they do offer park merchandise on the website.

TagsMissy
12-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Being a buyer for a nation wide retail store the plan *is* to not have much stock left by this time of year from 2009. Personally the fact that they are gone by now makes he tap the back of those responsible for a job well done.

PhillipA82
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Ah, I am sorry to hear that...

TagsMissy
12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I also just returned from Disney a little disappointed.

My main disappointments:

All the bathrooms in the parks were filthy.

Went to Planet Hollywood Dec. 10(last day or two of Pop Warner) and the 2 top floors had cheerleaders. They were literally screaming cheers at the top of their lungs. The problem was the dj was encouraging them. It was horrible!

Could not find any Disney photo takers(whatever they are called). Usually they are everywhere not this trip.

I have to agree that I noticed a major decline in bathroom cleanliness from my trip this past August to the year previous. I found the bathrooms this year to be quite dirty in comparison.

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM

This is something that was implemented two years ago (approx.) to cut cost for Disney. It's cheaper for them to mass produce one style. With so many resorts now, this is understandable. I usually buy a magnet from the resort we stay at and put it on my fridge.
I understand Disney is a business, but I thought they were at least putting the year on the mugs so people don't use them for future visits. I usually buy the mug and a resort ornament, but All Star didn't have resort ornaments either.

If you felt that you were being treated rudely by a CM at the front desk, you should have asked for a manager. It's unfortunate that the vending machines were not working, but I'll bet most guests don't use them a lot. The food courts at the All Stars (in my opinion) are there to make large quantities of food for large numbers of guests quickly. Unfortunately, fried, greasy food = quick food. I do recall seeing fruit cups, yogurts and whole pieces of fruit at Pop's food court....I can't believe All Star Sports didn't have any of that.
Oh, they did have fruit and yogurt options, but I believe the yogurt was $5. I chose to bring food from home to eat instead. But All Star used to have pre-made sandwiches and subs, and they were sooo good! Oh, and they took away the Cherry Coke in the soda fountains (something I used to splurge on there).

Isn't it nice, though, that you did a good deed? Just knowing you helped should be 'thanks' enough.
Knowing the Disney I used to know, a "thank you" should have been given. But yes, we do feel good we did a good deed.

Being close to the food court is now a room category - preferred - and has to be booked with your initial reservation. If you were unhappy with your room location, you could have asked to be relocated if something else was available.
If it's a room category, why is it an option to choose for online check-in? We didn't know where our rooms were until later in the day after a day in the parks. We just wanted to get showers and head to bed, not go to front desk and complain.

Disney is a business - plain and simple. Paying another $3.00 for 2009 may be worth it to some people to commemorate their trip.
Paying $3.00 on top of a $14.95 ornament just didn't seem justifiable to me. I know $3 isn't a lot, but knowing that Disney had ornaments before with the year on it just made it too transparent that they were searching for new ways to make an extra buck.

CM's are understaffed and tired. Not saying it's an excuse, but with cutbacks, that's what you'll get. I have always found that if I approach a situation in a positive way, I'll get a positive result. I'm sorry you didn't encounter more magical CM's.

CMs have always been overworked, poorly paid, and tired, but this is the first time they've acted more like employees than cast members. I was a cast member, and even on my worst days, I still tried to make the guests smile.

Oh, and could the quick service restaurants find anything remotely healthy to serve? There are a lot of QS places that offer salads, wraps, roasted chicken, fresh veggies, etc. It's not all burgers and hot dogs.
I did try a grilled chicken sandwich, and I only ended up eating the bun because the chicken was so dry and bland.

TinkerbellLuvr7
12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
We were there Dec 10-15
I also had a hard time finding a 2009 ornament and never did find one!!! I had worked in WDW till May and decided I wanted a 2009 tshirt, either the green or pink one and unless you were a size S you were not getting one! I wanted a 2009 photo album, no such luck and ended up with a Celebrate Today one and I will get sharpie and write the year on it. I think it's kind of them to put the merchandise on sale but perhaps should have done it in steps by week and deeply discount it 50% by Xmas week.

Although it was nice to have the 2010 merchandise out for those who might it want it in 2009, I'm going to buy merchandise with the year on it that I'm there. Oh well...

Planogirl
12-19-2009, 04:24 PM
We didn't care for the Allstars when we tried them either but people keep praising Pop Century. Maybe that's a better option?

I'm sorry that you had a bad trip. I think that those seem to happen to most everyone from time to time.

LindyN
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
The week of Nov 15-20 there pretty much was NO ONE in the parks. MVMCP was a ghost town on Nov 19 and we didn't even have to get off Splash. weather was nice and no rain either. The CMs at Aladdin were begging us to ride so they would have something to do. Restrooms were spotless with plenty of supplies; no trash anywhere.

On Sat, Nov 21, the parks got really busy and even Epcot was packed. Line for Space Mountain in the afternoon was every bit of the 75 minutes advertised. Been pretty busy since then.

Much of the current year merchandise is sent to the outlet stores, so unless you have a way to get there you won't find any in the parks.

I don't seen to have problems finding healthier QS food, and rarely if ever eat a burger and fries at Disney. Sorry to hear the OP was not able to find options. In the Value resorts I will often have them modify what I purchase to cut down on some of the junk. Its pretty easy to have them make a dinner salad (caesar) with no dressing, or to put it on the side--but you have to ask and wait for them to fix it.

FWIW.

TaraPA
12-19-2009, 05:10 PM

All 2009 items were already 50% off earlier than that - I was there 11/13-16 and bought all my things one day - the very next it was all on sale!!! Last December when I went I was so disappointed that they were out of 2008 photo albums. I had to go on eBay when I got home to find one!

maxiesmom
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad time. I think when things seem wrong to begin with, it can easily put a damper on your whole trip, and it sounds like that is what happened to you.

I read somewhere that Disney has done away with a lot of resort specific merchandise as a way to save money. Cheaper for them to make 1 million mugs with the same saying, instead of a bunch of different logos. I don't like it either.

I do have to stick up for the Sports a bit. The rooms that are located near to the food court are Prefered rooms, and cost $15 a night more than the Standard rooms. You would have had to book into a Prefered room to be close to the food courts. Also, while you can request things like room view or location, they are not guaranteed. I have had horrible luck getting requests met, but you just have to not let it upset you and enjoy your vacation.

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Also, while you can request things like room view or location, they are not guaranteed. I have had horrible luck getting requests met, but you just have to not let it upset you and enjoy your vacation.

Oh I know that... I actually used to work front desk at Coronado Springs, so I know nothing is guaranteed. But it's weird that they ask you for your preferred options when you check in online, and it seems like they didn't even care. But if being near the food court costs more, why was it an option for us to choose from when we checked in online? Maybe it's just something new they need to work the kinks out on.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the generic mugs.

a1tinkfans
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
sorry your trip was so UN magical :grouphug: this time round.

Hope you have a better one next time.....................:wizard:

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 05:32 PM
sorry your trip was so UN magical :grouphug: this time round.

Hope you have a better one next time.....................:wizard:

Thank you! Like you, I'm a huge POR fan, so that might have been my problem this time! I didn't get my POR fix!

kaytieeldr
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
ask you for your preferred options when you check in online, and it seems like they didn't even care. But if being near the food court costs more, why was it an option for us to choose from when we checked in online? Possibly because it's the same question/s for all the Value resorts? Different resorts are laid out differently, so it's more possible to be "near" the food court at Pop than at Movies (for example).

We called front desk several times for a solution, but nothing was ever resolved.
At the Coronado Springs front desk, did you get a lot of direct-from-the-rooms calls? To the best of general knowledge (not to be confused with the lamented Cranium Command's General Knowledge ;)) all calls from the rooms go to a single call center where the CMs answer the phone appropriately. Yes, whoever handled your call should have notified management or security, but as far as we know, your call didn't connect inside the resort.

udsweetpea
12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
At the Coronado Springs front desk, did you get a lot of direct-from-the-rooms calls? To the best of general knowledge (not to be confused with the lamented Cranium Command's General Knowledge ;)) all calls from the rooms go to a single call center where the CMs answer the phone appropriately. Yes, whoever handled your call should have notified management or security, but as far as we know, your call didn't connect inside the resort.

Yes, I know this. Security or management should have been contacted after the call center received the call. That's the solution we were looking for, but the problem was never resolved.

Smiling Cheshire Cat
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I just ordered a 2009 ornament from the Disneystore for $1.99 last week. I don't know if they still have any left, but I didn't get one when we were there Thanksgiving and the week after because I had a space issue in our suitcases.

I'm sorry too that you didn't have a good time. I saw that you mentioned you liked POR. I do too and I think POR is so different from the All-Stars that I can understand why you were disappointed.

We went to MVMCP on 12/3 and I was really suprised how many people were there. We enjoyed it, but probably won't be buying tickets again because we can't jusitfy the extra cost.

Better luck next time!

Sue M
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry you're trip was disappointing. I prefer the resort spec. mugs too, but that went away a long time ago. As another post mentioned, maybe the Dixie Landing mug you saw was one of the ones sold as good for life, in which case they were well within their rights to use it.

I had a similar situation at POR last Aug, with children in the room next to us running amuck. Same deal, running up and down, screaming, door slamming. It was awful. I went outside to politely ask them to stop. The mother came back to the room at the same time and saw or heard me. She told me she would speak to them. After that I didn't hear a thing.

So_Money
12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
It appears Disney is mass producing the same "junk" and putting it in all the stores.

agnes!
12-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I've been to Disney World more times than I can count, and this is the first time I'm coming back with complaints. ...

We even helped put out a fire near the pool (leaves on a light fixture had gotten hot and started a flame), and we didn't even get a "thank you". ...

I understand Disney is a business, but I thought they were at least putting the year on the mugs so people don't use them for future visits. I usually buy the mug and a resort ornament, but All Star didn't have resort ornaments either.

If you felt that you were being treated rudely by a CM at the front desk, you should have asked for a manager. It's unfortunate that the vending machines were not working, but I'll bet most guests don't use them a lot. The food courts at the All Stars (in my opinion) are there to make large quantities of food for large numbers of guests quickly. Unfortunately, fried, greasy food = quick food. I do recall seeing fruit cups, yogurts and whole pieces of fruit at Pop's food court....I can't believe All Star Sports didn't have any of that.
Oh, they did have fruit and yogurt options, but I believe the yogurt was $5. I chose to bring food from home to eat instead. But All Star used to have pre-made sandwiches and subs, and they were sooo good! Oh, and they took away the Cherry Coke in the soda fountains (something I used to splurge on there).

Knowing the Disney I used to know, a "thank you" should have been given. But yes, we do feel good we did a good deed.

If it's a room category, why is it an option to choose for online check-in? We didn't know where our rooms were until later in the day after a day in the parks. We just wanted to get showers and head to bed, not go to front desk and complain.

Paying $3.00 on top of a $14.95 ornament just didn't seem justifiable to me. I know $3 isn't a lot, but knowing that Disney had ornaments before with the year on it just made it too transparent that they were searching for new ways to make an extra buck.

CMs have always been overworked, poorly paid, and tired, but this is the first time they've acted more like employees than cast members. I was a cast member, and even on my worst days, I still tried to make the guests smile.

I did try a grilled chicken sandwich, and I only ended up eating the bun because the chicken was so dry and bland.

I'm confused...this second post looks like you answered your original post?

agnes!

MFLetou
12-19-2009, 09:59 PM
We found tons of 2009 ornaments at DHS--the Christmas store. They had 5 or so styles to choose from, all at 50% off. We bought several. This was on 12/11.

David 1980
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I understand your pain. My family stayed at CSR this past June and had the worst time ever. We used the online check in and that was a nightmare. WE checked in and received our KTW and were on our way to Epcot and when we got to the turnstile we were told they did not activate our KTW cards. WE spent the first hour of our vacation at the customer service station at Epcot trying to get this fixed not the way I wanted to start my Disney Vacation. I have never seen so many rides breaking down as we did on our trip. We went to Animal Kingdom and after 20 minutes in line we were told to get out of line the ride was down. Guys I will say no more or I will get depressed again. I wrote to Disney when we got back and after 3 months I received a call and received 7 for day magic your way passes for our trouble. I was trilled with them for understanding the bad time my family had. I am not sure when we are going back the passes are good until 2030 so I have time. I pray Disney can stop all the cutbacks and get back to what made Disney a place we all want it to be. I like all of you spent a lot of money for 7 people on a Disney Vacation and am just so happy Disney tried to make it right..

siestakey
12-19-2009, 11:07 PM
<went to WDW this time wanting only one thing to take home... a 2009 ornament. Could not find ONE ornament with the year on it. They had junky 2010 ornaments, but who would be buying one of those NOW? Now you have to buy a plain ornament and pay $3 to have someone paint the year on it.>

Yes!! What is up with that!! All I saw were 2010 ornaments and T-shirts too! 'Let's do the time warp again', no it is STILL 2009!

I really hope Disney managers monitor this board, because if the poor service, shoddy merchandise, and the 'whatever, people will still come' attitude continues, then the Disney folks are in for a rude awakening. Yes, you will still get the first timers, but will they get the repeat customer? I have noticed a HUGE decline in just the cleanliness of the parks since my first visit in 1995, and I agree with all the other complaints on this board about CM's, housekeeping, bus transportation, food. I hate to see my favorite place become just another theme park, but from my observations as a new Florida resident and a passholder who is not real happy with the state of the parks, I am really thinking about NOT renewing next year :(

ppony
12-19-2009, 11:07 PM
It appears Disney is mass producing the same "junk" and putting it in all the stores.

It really seems this way. One of our favorite things to do at WDW is shop. ;) Or it used to be, but we have been increasingly coming away w/ less and less. I was attributing it to just being more picky buyers but I think this trip it primarily seemed to be because very little was any good and there was so much less variety. It was so disappointing. :( Oh well, saves us money I guess and we'll need fewer suitcases.

Yeah, I think the current year merch. goes on sale at least by Nov.. the stuff in mod Nov as people said was already half off. We noticed that too. Since we usually travel in Dec. that often means little if any of the current year's merch. is available. Just know it for future reference and either shop online early or be prepared to be disappointed. :( Yes, it stinks but it's how businesses do things. they need to have it gone by the end of the year because no one will want an '09 anything in 2010.

PlainJane
12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Oh I know that... I actually used to work front desk at Coronado Springs, so I know nothing is guaranteed. But it's weird that they ask you for your preferred options when you check in online, and it seems like they didn't even care. But if being near the food court costs more, why was it an option for us to choose from when we checked in online? Maybe it's just something new they need to work the kinks out on.

You would have had to have booked a preferred room. It would not be an option at check-in, unless there was an available upgrade. This is a category available at all of the value and moderate resorts (unless, I'm mistaken).

CoachBagFanatic
12-20-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm confused...this second post looks like you answered your original post?

agnes!

OP I am sorry that your stay was unmagical. Here's some pixiedust: for your next trip.

Agnes, I thought the same thing at first but then I looked at it again. The OP replied in black under Scanne's purple post. Hope that makes sense. Too much snow here. My brain is frozen.:rotfl:

Jane-in-PA
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
<went to WDW this time wanting only one thing to take home... a 2009 ornament. Could not find ONE ornament with the year on it. They had junky 2010 ornaments, but who would be buying one of those NOW? Now you have to buy a plain ornament and pay $3 to have someone paint the year on it.>

Yes!! What is up with that!! All I saw were 2010 ornaments and T-shirts too! 'Let's do the time warp again', no it is STILL 2009!

I really hope Disney managers monitor this board, because if the poor service, shoddy merchandise, and the 'whatever, people will still come' attitude continues, then the Disney folks are in for a rude awakening. Yes, you will still get the first timers, but will they get the repeat customer? I have noticed a HUGE decline in just the cleanliness of the parks since my first visit in 1995, and I agree with all the other complaints on this board about CM's, housekeeping, bus transportation, food. I hate to see my favorite place become just another theme park, but from my observations as a new Florida resident and a passholder who is not real happy with the state of the parks, I am really thinking about NOT renewing next year :(

I agree with you on the decline in cleanliness. But one thing I would add is that part of the blame IMO is the "decline" in the guests as well as Disney services. People nowdays have little or no respect for other peoples' property. Let's just hope they don't treat their own homes the way they behave in Disney parks and resorts. :sad2:

MermaidsMom
12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
It really seems this way. One of our favorite things to do at WDW is shop. ;) Or it used to be, but we have been increasingly coming away w/ less and less. I was attributing it to just being more picky buyers but I think this trip it primarily seemed to be because very little was any good and there was so much less variety. It was so disappointing. :( Oh well, saves us money I guess and we'll need fewer suitcases.

Yeah, I think the current year merch. goes on sale at least by Nov.. the stuff in mod Nov as people said was already half off. We noticed that too. Since we usually travel in Dec. that often means little if any of the current year's merch. is available. Just know it for future reference and either shop online early or be prepared to be disappointed. :( Yes, it stinks but it's how businesses do things. they need to have it gone by the end of the year because no one will want an '09 anything in 2010.

Part of our "Magic" was finding the unique merchandise and food choices in different places around the World. Now it's all the same, no special places or foods anymore. For the first time ever I don't have a trip planned and don't know when or if I will. The bathrooms in the parks are a disgrace. I wipe the counters off myself when I wash my hands but I am only one person! This situation was unimaginable just 10 years ago.

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
You would have had to have booked a preferred room. It would not be an option at check-in, unless there was an available upgrade. This is a category available at all of the value and moderate resorts (unless, I'm mistaken).

Yeah I know that, but then why was it an option to choose from when we checked in online? They gave a list of things we would prefer to have, and we were allowed to pick 2 preferences. Then if something was an extra cost, why was it an option? Do you get what I'm saying?

disneymom06
12-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree with you and we went in August of 09. (As well as 4/09 in the same year).

I understand cost cutting features, but above all Disney out shined the competition with quality, friendliness and cleanliness. That is why they could charge more!

I could enter a bathroom and KNOW that it was clean. I have not found that to be the case recently.

In the past EVERY CM had been warm, friendly and courteous. It is no longer the norm, on our last trip it seemed to be the exception.

WE have stayed at POP and I found their food not the same as POR or FQ. My boys eat hamburgers and they felt the hamburgers at POP were different from FQ. Don't know but just the way that I have seen the food prepared at POP, it wasn't the same as POFQ. I am speaking of food court food and that really shouldn't be different wheter value or moderate.

Merchandising has seriously declined over the last two years. We would see the same merchandise trip after trip. My son would drag me out of a store, last trip, I just gave a passing glance.

Disney needs to take notice. MAGIC. These are some of the reasons that many of justify staying on property, making this our family vacation, and return year after year. It takes more time to restore confidence that it does to take it down. Disney must stay vigilant, especially when repeat customers are not happy.

We have AP's and I passed on a last minute Christmas trip this year.

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 12:29 PM
disneymom This is what I've been trying to say. I used to look forward to the magic. Now I feel like another number to Disney. I used to feel special.

In regards to the food court food, I totally agree that the food at All Star tastes different than POR. We even drove over to POR one day to eat breakfast at their food court instead of All Star. I enjoyed the omelette station very much. And POR has Cherry Coke :)

TagsMissy
12-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the generic mugs.

this confused me on one hand you say you understand it's not guaranteed then next you are upset that you didn't get what you wanted... so truly do you understand it isn't guaranteed?

LOL Take it from me I've never gotten my requests on the first try, I've often had to reask when I am there if a or b is available rather than what I got. Usually I've gotten what I wanted then, or close to what I wanted but never off the bat. There's really no point in complaining about it after the fact when you are home, who knows maybe if you asked while there they could have possibly moved you closer? :confused3

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
this confused me on one hand you say you understand it's not guaranteed then next you are upset that you didn't get what you wanted... so truly do you understand it isn't guaranteed?

LOL Take it from me I've never gotten my requests on the first try, I've often had to reask when I am there if a or b is available rather than what I got. Usually I've gotten what I wanted then, or close to what I wanted but never off the bat. There's really no point in complaining about it after the fact when you are home, who knows maybe if you asked while there they could have possibly moved you closer? :confused3

My point was that we were asked for our preferences when we checked in online and it was like it didn't even matter. Why even ask? Most people who call for hotel ressies request room locations on their own without being asked. Online check-in asks for your preference. My point is that I didn't really care about our location, but if you ask someone's preference, you would think at least one of our preferences would have been met. Why ask otherwise?

Teddys~Mom
12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
:confused3disneymom This is what I've been trying to say. I used to look forward to the magic. Now I feel like another number to Disney. I used to feel special.

In regards to the food court food, I totally agree that the food at All Star tastes different than POR. We even drove over to POR one day to eat breakfast at their food court instead of All Star. I enjoyed the omelette station very much. And POR has Cherry Coke :)

I agree with the OP and the PP. I will still probably return to Disney year after year, I have a son with special needs who adores it but I find less unique items. I used to have special drinks I enjoyed, special foods, and absolutely the shopping used to be special. Now it seems there are a few basic styles of everything afforded to us be it food, beverages or shopping. I'm just less tempted to splurge while on vacation now and often find myself coming home with quite a few hundred dollars I'd budgeted to spend on "extras".

I also work as a purchasing agent but for a small family owned company. We have the motto that we want to have available everything our customers want, in stock, until the end of the year. Maybe that's what we are all missing. It used to feel like you were getting family type service from a large company and now you are so clearly just getting large company service from a large company. Can I complain about that? Probably not. Can I lament the days when it felt like a family? Absoutely.

mdinme
12-20-2009, 12:56 PM
When I'm on vacation, and paying several thousand for it, there is nothing an employee of wherever the hell I am can do to sour me.

Cheer up, it's vacation.

Belle4mygrl
12-20-2009, 01:05 PM
We found the bathrooms to be less clean than previous times. I was very unhappy about that since I praise about Disney having the cleanest restrooms. Papertowels and soap was empty ALOT and trash overflowing.

A smoker was in our room next door and management would rather risk the guest safety than kicking those people out. (I have a thread about this)

I didn't find rude CMs but they weren't as "magical" as previous visits.

POR bus system stinks. The author of 'The unofficial Disney guide" says POR is the *******s for the bus system and I have to agree.

So_Money
12-20-2009, 01:17 PM
We found the bathrooms to be less clean than previous times. I was very unhappy about that since I praise about Disney having the cleanest restrooms. Papertowels and soap was empty ALOT and trash overflowing.

A smoker was in our room next door and management would rather risk the guest safety than kicking those people out. (I have a thread about this)

I didn't find rude CMs but they weren't as "magical" as previous visits.

POR bus system stinks. The author of 'The unofficial Disney guide" says POR is the *******s for the bus system and I have to agree.

I sure do wish I knew what was blanked out.

tinkmom2
12-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I was at WDW November 16-19th and they had the 2009 ornaments on clearance along with other 2009 merchandise. We didn't want to carry ornaments along with us on our Wonder cruise. When we got back I was able to find WDW Parks ornaments for half off at the disneystore.com site.

I have stayed at all the Value resorts and on this last trip we stayed at POP. When we got to POP we did request a preferred room online but they wanted to put us on the 4th floor facing the back. I refused it and they put us on the first floor by the Hippy Pool.

It's unfortunate some people refuse to supervise their kids. This is the first year we have gone during Christmastime. We usually go during March and Easter. I found the crowds in November to be much less and PoP seemed deserted. We didn't have any unruly kids near us thank goodness but in the past when the baseball teams and cheerleaders are in town it's total chaos.

The front desk should have sent someone there to control the situation. I was very happy with the food. We went during free dining and I thought all the food we had was great!

Our MVMCP day wasn't crowded at all but we are used to going to WDW during peak crowds.

I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I am a good complainer I guess! If I see something wrong I let someone know about it right away. If it's not corrected that person always has a boss and so on. I also make it a point to write a note when I get home.

agnes!
12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
OP I am sorry that your stay was unmagical. Here's some pixiedust: for your next trip.

Agnes, I thought the same thing at first but then I looked at it again. The OP replied in black under Scanne's purple post. Hope that makes sense. Too much snow here. My brain is frozen.:rotfl:

Ah, thanks.
agnes!

CrabbyPatty
12-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I got two 2009 ornaments online at the Disney Store for next to nothing. One was $1.99 and the other was $4.99 and postage was something like $2.50. Each ornament came in a sturdy cardboard box, and were packed into a larger sturdy cardboard box. I guess I would never think of getting ornaments at the park and then trying to get them home without breaking!

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I got two 2009 ornaments online at the Disney Store for next to nothing. One was $1.99 and the other was $4.99 and postage was something like $2.50. Each ornament came in a sturdy cardboard box, and were packed into a larger sturdy cardboard box. I guess I would never think of getting ornaments at the park and then trying to get them home without breaking!

Thank you for letting me know I can get them at the Disney Store. Thankfully, I have a store nearby! :)

I did end up getting an adorable Minnie Mouse ornament, which I only saw at Saratoga Springs, and the CM wrapped it up really well. We drove to WDW, so it made it safely home, but it was packaged so well I'm sure it would have survived on a plane.

ScottOKW2K
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM

I am one of those people that still use Dixie Landings mugs. Why ? Because when we purchased them we were told that they were good for life. BTW I only use them at home or when we are at the two Port Orleans resorts. In fact , I am somewhat proud to be using them as I feel that it shows that I still enjoy the resort after so many years ( 10 for my family and I ). I'll be sure to take your thoughts to heart when I use that or one of the other 20 to 30 Disney mugs I have for a quick drink later on today ;) .

Requests are just that - requests. Did you ask the cast member checking you in if there might be other rooms available later that would be more suited to you and your family ? I notices you were staying at one of the All Star resorts - in memory serves buildings closest to the food court area are listed as "preferred" with an additional cost . Was this the type of room you booked ?

I've not always received the specific rooms/views that I have requested but have often had cast members do the best they could. It often helps if you can provide specific building numbers or locations ( Toy Story, Magnolia Bend, etc. ) and list your highest priority first. The more you can help them, the more they can help you.

I wish you and yours better on your future vacations. Merry Christmas and may your New Year be better than the last :thumbsup2

YodasMom
12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I experienced many of the same issues being discussed in this thread during my trip in Nov / early December ( as well as my May and Sept trips this year).

I dealt with many of the issues immediately, so I won't go into detail about those, even though in years gone by, those issues most likely would not have occurred.

I think one of the things, as stated on this thread repeatedly, is that I am so appalled at the condition of the public restrooms in the parks! This would have never happened in past years at WDW ....anywhere else, yes, but not WDW! I even left the Parks to use better facilities so I did not have to go in the Park restrooms as much. They were just filthy!

Also, as far as dated merchandise goes, that did go on clearance while I was there. But, I really miss not having anymore Resort dated ornaments. They cleared those out this past summer and early fall. I got mine for the year in May and Sept except for my 2009 Coronado ornament. It's obvious they're reducing the resort specific merchandise, but I'm sad about that.

As most have alluded, there are obviously a lot of very unahappy CM's, and I'm sorry that the economic conditions have led to that mood.

This is one of the few times I did not receive a survey to complete when I got home, so the general issues I did not deal with while I was there will be sent in an e-mail to Guest Services.

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE]I am one of those people that still use Dixie Landings mugs. Why ? Because when we purchased them we were told that they were good for life. BTW I only use them at home or when we are at the two Port Orleans resorts. In fact , I am somewhat proud to be using them as I feel that it shows that I still enjoy the resort after so many years ( 10 for my family and I ). I'll be sure to take your thoughts to heart when I use that or one of the other 20 to 30 Disney mugs I have for a quick drink later on today ;) .

Honestly, I have several of those Dixie Landings mugs, and I was never told they were "for life". For those of us who didn't know, it seems like people aren't following the rules. How are the rest of us supposed to know they're lifetime mugs? I'd be proud to sport my Dixie Landings mug the next time I go. And your comments kinda makes my point about the generic mugs. I want to be able to use my resort-specific mugs at home. I'm proud of them. These new ones just look like I bought a cheesy souvenir .

Requests are just that - requests. Did you ask the cast member checking you in if there might be other rooms available later that would be more suited to you and your family ? I notices you were staying at one of the All Star resorts - in memory serves buildings closest to the food court area are listed as "preferred" with an additional cost . Was this the type of room you booked ?

I have responded to this question many times already in this thread. I am not upset about my room location. The point is that we were asked to choose a preference when we checked in online. Why ask us for our preferences if they were ignored?

I've not always received the specific rooms/views that I have requested but have often had cast members do the best they could. It often helps if you can provide specific building numbers or locations ( Toy Story, Magnolia Bend, etc. ) and list your highest priority first. The more you can help them, the more they can help you.

When we have made reservations before, we have requested Magnolia Bend and have usually gotten it. However, with this vacation, we made absolutely no requests. We were ASKED by Disney what we wanted, and it was ignored. Once again, I'm not upset about our room location just the fact their new online check-in system is kinda flawed.

I wish you and yours better on your future vacations. Merry Christmas and may your New Year be better than the last :thumbsup2

Thank you, and same to you!

scanne
12-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Quote:

I have responded to this question many times already in this thread. I am not upset about my room location. The point is that we were asked to choose a preference when we checked in online. Why ask us for our preferences if they were ignored?

It seems like the on-line check in is a very generic program. Why would they put that specific thing on there as an option if it's a room category you have to pay for? Who knows. But why waste time wondering/questioning? Just accept it for what it is - a poorly planned system with errors - and move on.

Hope your next trip to WDW is more magical. Stay at POR and bring your old mug. I bet that will bring some of the magic back!

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 07:36 PM
It seems like the on-line check in is a very generic program. Why would they put that specific thing on there as an option if it's a room category you have to pay for? Who knows. But why waste time wondering/questioning? Just accept it for what it is - a poorly planned system with errors - and move on.

Hope your next trip to WDW is more magical. Stay at POR and bring your old mug. I bet that will bring some of the magic back!

Oh, I've moved on. I wasn't even that unhappy with it.. hence it only being a 1 sentence comment in my original post. It was just a little thing in a long list of vents.

I'll definitely have to take my old Dixie mug! It will definitely bring back memories. My parents took me there for my high school senior year spring break trip as a graduation present. It was our first time staying in a moderate resort, and we thought we were really something! ;:rotfl:

EvilQueenT
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
You're not alone with having a bad experience. We went to the after hours christmas party and didn't find it to be to terribly crowded but we also went on a week night (tuesday 12/8). I've been to wdw more than 20 times in my life and I will say I didn't have any problems away from our resort but had the ABSOLUTE worst experience at the Boardwalk Resort. I was traveling with my best friend and staying club level. Let me say first that wdw is my favorite vacation spot because of the level of service and this trip was my christmas present to myself and to her as she's a single mom who'd never gotten to do this type of trip. We've been looking forward to and anticipating this trip for a long time. It was planned to be totally self indulgent and a grown up girls trip (my husband and both our teenagers stayed home). I went to great lengths to ensure we had a double queen room (1st when i'd booked the trip 5 months in advance, 2nd when they sent an email from the concierge asking if we had any requests and to confirm our group details etc, 3rd when we went to the front desk the morning we checked in and a 4th time when the front desk person took us to the concierge person) all of which said we had a double queen room and i quote "no problem". Our first day started out without our "guaranteed" notification of when our room would be ready, ok not a big deal UNTIL we got back to the hotel. We got in after the park closed (around midnight) and couldn't get into our room. the front desk clerk (only person there at the time) who'd told us housekeeping would be right up to let us in finally came himself about an hour later after two phone calls to let us in, only to be told if we left the room we'd be locked out... of the king bed room (separate problem that was making me madder by the minute). his advice was "to call the front desk"... i said you were the only one at "the front desk" and he said, "yeah" and left. they offered us a roll away bed.... for club level prices i don't think so... at which point he said they had open rooms but couldn't give us an upgrade at "this time." so i ended up playing phone ignore with the front desk (put on hold and left there until the phone hung up on their end) and finally got a woman named joyce who literally hung up on me mid discussion as she told me to have a magical stay (click...end of call). We ended up having to share a bed... which i guess wouldn't have been a big of a deal if they'd handled the problem better maybe with an apology for the mix up but ooohhh no, we were given the i don't care, shut up and go away treatment. I was firm but did not raise my voice but at this point i was ready to start by breaking the phone i was staring quite dumbly at in disbelief. I've always had fabulous service at wdw and have stayed on site more times than i can count and have never EVER been treated like this. after almost 3 hours of bs (yes it's not like 330am and we'd been up about 27 hours straight) we were told they'd give us a room if and when something opened up the next day and it would be after 4pm... uh no i told them... the first queen open would be mine. they wanted us to pack and leave our things with them downstairs and i told them my stuff would stay in the current room and they could call me when our new room opened up and we'd move it then... at this point i figured they'd be a little more motivated to correct the problem if it tied up our current room and quite frankly i didn't know if they'd "forget" and we'd end up without a room at all. we were told it would be after 4 before we could get a room and i firmly told them that it didn't take 5+ hours to clean one room and that we'd be ready for the first available double room. (mentally i'm visualizing my arms swinging like a windmill hitting anyone nearby who works there). by 10am i had a phone call that they had an open room and that our things were being moved at this time to the new room... we got in at 3pm, couldn't get into either room and of course our things were still in the first room with more yes, more waiting to get things straightened out (we've now missed our adr's). i have always had a great time when we go but after so much bs over things that are soooo stupid you get to the point that anyone associated with the resort saying good morning you want to scream "liar" at them, you can't do any shopping because you can't have things sent back with the room problem so we weren't able to take advantage of that service either. i would never stay at the boardwalk resort again even if it were free... that's how bad our experience with them was. i also thought the walk to dhs was a little scary at night for two women traveling alone... dark and isolated, and close to off property gas station with normal life type traffic and people (not the secure on site property feeling you get at some of the other wdw resorts) but that's another matter.

kaytieeldr
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
So that IN CASE one's preferences can be granted, the Room Assignors will know what certain Guests prefer.

kaytieeldr
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
It seems like the on-line check in is a very generic program. Why would they put that specific thing on there as an option if it's a room category you have to pay for? Because there are standard rooms that are closer to the desired location than are other standard rooms. Thus, if the person assigning rooms is able to locate a 'close to foodcourt' room in, say, Building 7 - they'll do that.

webray
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Sad, but true, you are just noticing what the locals have noticed for many, many years. WE have been checked into dirty, and I mean dirty rooms so many times at WDW, we won't stay there any more (we choose Swan/Dolphin). We have also found castmemeber to be miserable, they are moaning/groaning and complaining (nice words) to each other in front of guest on a regular basis. Yes, the food court at all stars has gone down, way down, and we used to love their home made pastas for dinner, the wonderful dinner entrees, unfortunately, everything has gone cheap. WE too hate that the mugs aren't different...this was our favorite thing..getting the big fat mugs (not the car mugs) because we use them at home on a daily basis. We no longer purchase mugs.

I really don't think Walt would approve of the direction Disney has taken!

kaytieeldr
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Our first day started out without our "guaranteed" notification of when our room would be ready, ok not a big deal UNTIL we got back to the hotel. We got in after the park closed (around midnight)But given that you stayed at the park for about eight hours beyond the 'typical' check-in time, did it really matter?

i said you were the only one at "the front desk" and he said, "yeah" and left. they offered us a roll away bedWouldn't that have been a better solution for one night than a single king-size bed?

at which point he said they had open rooms but couldn't give us an upgrade at "this time." Well, since it wasn't an upgrade this claim makes NO sense.

so i ended up playing phone ignore with the front desk (put on hold and left there until the phone hung up on their end) and finally got a woman named joyce who literally hung up on me mid discussion as she told me to have a magical stay (click...end of call)Common misconception - ALL room-generated calls go to a call center where the CM identifies as being at the given resort, but really you're NOT calling the Front Desk no matter how the phone is answered.

told them my stuff would stay in the current room and they could call me when our new room opened up and we'd move it thenwe got in at 3pm, couldn't get into either room and of course our things were still in the first room with more yes, more waiting to get things straightened outWell, I realize after your room was ready the resort offered to move your luggage - but do you think possibly they made the offer because they expected your luggage to be with Bell Services, and not in your first room from which YOU informed them YOU would move it?

i also thought the walk to dhs was a little scary at night for two women traveling alone... dark and isolated, and close to off property gas station with normal life type traffic and people (not the You weren't traveling alone, there were two of you; there is always the option of the boat. The walkway is, for the most part, well-lighted; there are generally other Guests around; and while it's too bad the resort is so close to a gas station that you felt unsafe, that gas station IS on Disney property. Granted, despite that, there's the possibility of a non-Disney resort Guest actually stopping at the station to shop or get gas - but this does NOT make it unsafe in any way.

jewjubean
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I just wanted to give two cents on the Merchandise aspect. The people who are in charge of ordering merchandise are NOT working in the stores. So please as upset as you are, dont get upset with the people working at the store. We have NO control over this.

udsweetpea
12-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to give two cents on the Merchandise aspect. The people who are in charge of ordering merchandise are NOT working in the stores. So please as upset as you are, dont get upset with the people working at the store. We have NO control over this.

I don't think I ever complained about the people in the stores about the merchandise.

soulmates
12-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow. We were there in Aug and NONE of this was present. We had AMAZING customer service at our resort. CM's in ALL the parks were great to us. At one point, a man cleaning up, saw us looking at a map and he stopped what he was doing to help point us in the right direction. :thumbsup2 The food was AMAZING everywhere we went. We found our special ornament, and all of the merchandise we bought was very nice. It was the most magical trip I've ever been on, next to the 1st one, which will NEVER be outdone! To me, Disney IS still top notch. The parks were very clean, we NEVER saw a filthy bathroom...and we can't wait to go back in 9 months!!v:banana:

Capt. Barbosa
12-21-2009, 08:41 AM
I was there in Oct. and for the 99% of the trip was fantastic, there were a few things that I found that I was unhappy about, mostly changes they had made and I let them know about them on the online survey they sent me. But if you don't recieve one write them an email so they know that their guest are unhappy with what they are getting for their dollar. They will never know if all the complaints are just vented on a Mssg Board.

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

baby1disney
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
OK...I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think that instead of you complaining about what went wrong, you should focus on what went right!!!

For one..be thankful that you even got to have a vacation this year and even go!! Some people had to cancel their vacations this year becasue they couldn't afford it..due to the economy.

For two..your whole family arrived there safe and sound. And..you still have all of your family!!! There's been some really bad deaths around my area lately and this has all happened within a week or two. These people have to deal with a funeral for Christmas and instead of opening presents, they'll be closing a casket.

For three...YOU WERE IN DISNEY WORLD!!!!! I understand that you spend your money and that you expect a certain standard when pay however much you did. But..in all honesty, did your vacation really suck that bad or is it because one or two bad things happened in the beginning and therefore, you just were "looking" for other bad things to happen??? I know this sounds mean, but in a time when everything is so bad and people are losing their jobs, homes, families...I try to look for the positive in every situation.

I hope you go back and experience a better time!! My son acted a FOOL our last trip, but I wasn't going to let him spoil my vacation for me!! That's the one time of the year that I am with my family without working and having to be a "mom and a wife". I mean, I still am, of course, but at least there..some of the worries were taken off for me.

So..here's to better and more memorable trips to you and your family in the future!!! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year!!!:thumbsup2

Sue M
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow. We were there in Aug and NONE of this was present. We had AMAZING customer service at our resort. CM's in ALL the parks were great to us. At one point, a man cleaning up, saw us looking at a map and he stopped what he was doing to help point us in the right direction. :thumbsup2 The food was AMAZING everywhere we went. We found our special ornament, and all of the merchandise we bought was very nice. It was the most magical trip I've ever been on, next to the 1st one, which will NEVER be outdone! To me, Disney IS still top notch. The parks were very clean, we NEVER saw a filthy bathroom...and we can't wait to go back in 9 months!!v:banana:

I agree, I've never run into rude CMs and have not experienced dirty anything, in resort or park,

The only prob I have had is rude neighbors who don't bother teaching their children consideration for others, and that their hotel room is not a playground. But that is not WDW's fault!

Belle4mygrl
12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I have already emailed WDW.

KatMark
12-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Although a short visit, we had a most magical time in September. Never a rude or crabby CM at our resort, at a restaurant or at the parks--everyone was most pleasant. We also had been warned before we went how "dirty" Disney had gotten...every restroom we used (and believe me, DH and I frequent them often) was clean, plenty of TP, paper towels, soap, etc. Was there some paper on the ground that was not picked up as frequently as it would have been in the past? It is possible and I am not saying Disney is not at fault for all of the cutbacks (where hasn't there been cutbacks), but I also blame the "guests." I saw more people, kids AND adults, throwing their paper napkins or cups on the ground because they were too lazy to walk five extra feet to a garbage can.

Jane-in-PA
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Although a short visit, we had a most magical time in September. Never a rude or crabby CM at our resort, at a restaurant or at the parks--everyone was most pleasant. We also had been warned before we went how "dirty" Disney had gotten...every restroom we used (and believe me, DH and I frequent them often) was clean, plenty of TP, paper towels, soap, etc. Was there some paper on the ground that was not picked up as frequently as it would have been in the past? It is possible and I am not saying Disney is not at fault for all of the cutbacks (where hasn't there been cutbacks), but I also blame the "guests." I saw more people, kids AND adults, throwing their paper napkins or cups on the ground because they were too lazy to walk five extra feet to a garbage can.

This is the kind of behavior I was talking about in my earlier post - that people have this attitude of "it's not my house, so I'll treat it any way I feel like". Can you imagine throwing trash on the floor in your own home? No respect for other peoples' property.

udsweetpea
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
baby1disney I was very grateful to even go to Disney World this year. I never said I wasn't. But, I think all of us have a right to vent about some things that just don't make Disney the magical place we remember it being. As a former cast member, maybe I'm a bit more critical of the place. It's lost its magic on me. I got bored very easily. Going to Disney used to feel like you were going home to see family. You were treated like a part of the Disney family. Now, it's so transparent how much Disney really is just a business trying to make more money. I used to enjoy the special touches. Maybe my next trip will be different. Who knows?

PlainJane
12-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah I know that, but then why was it an option to choose from when we checked in online? They gave a list of things we would prefer to have, and we were allowed to pick 2 preferences. Then if something was an extra cost, why was it an option? Do you get what I'm saying?

Yes, I now get what you're saying. That is bizarre.

AimeeMichele
12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry to hear that so many have had negative experiences. I just came back from my stay at the Grand Floridian on 12/12-12/16 and everything was truly magical! All the CMs we encountered were cheerful and went above and beyond...we only saw one lousy just plain rude (working @ TSM), however we weren't going to let that ruin our vacation. The parks, restaurants, bathrooms, etc. were all clean. Honestly, everything far surpassed my expectations. I read a lot of negative comments before going and made sure to not get my hopes up for anything great...I must say that I kept on thinking throughout my trip...what are these people complaining about? I thought everything was great and magical. Only you have the power to make your trip pleasant and magical...you can't count of others to do it for you. Go and have the time of your life! I know I will

Microcell
12-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I am going to say this realizing that Disney should be more thoughtful of people going there to buy ornaments the week before Christmas.. Disney is a destination and people want to buy current momentos.

My Dh works for a very popular store for Christmas decor, and he sold out of just about everything the weekend after Thanksgiving and that was a very good thing for him.. if you have too much Christmas decor too far into December it is not going to make you as big a profit, and if you have too much left after Christmas you could lose money on it. Think from a retail perspective when people are decorating for Christmas.. it isn't the two weeks leading up to Christmas.

With the economy being what it is, whomever was doing ordering probably didn't want to have too much 2009 Christmas stuff going into this week!

goofy4tink
12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Many things seem to be changing at WDW. I know that you can no longer get resort specific ornamants...they will all be the same. There is no longer any uniqueness in each resort gift shop. Take AKL for instance...I got this beautiful mug a few years ago. I really wanted to get my dh one this trip. But, they no longer carry them. They seem to carry very little that is not WDW trademarked all over the place.

One thing to watch out for with online checkin. I did that for two of my resort stays this past trip. Once for AKL-Jambo (stayed one night) and then at BWVs, stayed for 4 nights. Imagine my surprise when I got to BW and tried to give the front desk CM my Disney gift cards to pay for my ddp. It had already been paid, directly from my credit card when I did the online checkin!!! Not put on a room account, taken right from that credit card! I asked why and was told that it is the proceedure. I told the girl that it wasn't the 'proceedure' at AKL!!! Made me furious to have that taken from a credit card that I wasn't planning on using for anything other than room account which wasn't going to have anything put on it.

Then, at AKL, my friend left a baggie with chargers in the bureau drawer. By the time we realized it, it was close to 5pm the next day...took forever to get our bags delivered to BWV from Jambo House!!! We left a message for lost and found at about 5ish. Nothing was heard from them the next day. So, we took a bus over to AK and then back to AKL after lunch. The CM at the front desk was less than helpful..in fact, she mentioned that now she was going to have to take her break later since we 'had to have' that bag now. She had wanted my friend to fill out a lost items form and they would ship the stuff to her home if they found it. Ah, no...she needed those chargers now. We knew exactly where they had been left, in what room, and in which drawer. That CM was downright rude and I actually had to get somewhat assertive..something I don't enjoy doing!! Someone from housekeeping came along about 20 mins later, with the baggie full of chargers. And, it was time stamped and dated the previous day, before lunchtime...so they had it all along, but that girl at the front desk didn't want to take the time to call housekeeping and check on it.

And before anyone says that repeating these experiences here, on a discussion board, gets no results...I did send along an email to Disney, telling them of my disappointment with those two particular issues and how they were handled.
Nobody loves Disney more than I, but it did seem that there was something missing this time around. Perhaps I just need a break from the 'magic' for a bit.

sabrecmc
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

While I understand that this might be confusing, I think what is meant by it is that if you have a standard room, you can REQUEST a standard room that is closer to the food court than other standard rooms. This is still not a preferred room, which may be closer to the food court than any standard room, as that would cost more per night. And again, nothing guaranteed, just a request.

I'm sorry the OP didn't have a perfect vacation. I do miss the resort-specific mugs, but appreciate Disney wanting to make money and keep costs down. I totally understand marking down holiday merchandise and trying to clear it out, however. That is pretty standard for retail. I ended up ordering a GF holiday pin off eBay b/c I couldn't find one at the resort last week and really wanted one. It was the same price as I would have expected to pay at the resort, even with shipping, so no worries. Its just a souvenier, not a huge deal.

We did MVMCP last year on the final night and it was super-crowded. I would not pay to do that again. However, we did it this year back on the second night in November that it was offered and it was wonderful! Walk on to whatever rides we wanted, a great parade and happy CMs. Christmastime is one of the busiest times of the year and of course, the Christmas Party is going to be packed that time of year. I think a lot is about expectations.

Boxley
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM

AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE!

Seriously though, some of things you stated are either A. Not the fault of Disney but rather their guests and B. You should have done more research for such as your room location and the fact that All-Star is known for being a place where most families go.

Momof2DisneyDivas
12-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry I didn't read through all the posts and I'm sorry your trip was less than magical.

We had an extremely magical vacation, maybe because it was the first time I'd been in almost 15 years, maybe because it was the first time I'd been in December & I loved the holiday lights & decorations or maybe because this was my girls' first trip to Disney. Anyway, we were able to find 2009 ornaments in almost every store we shopped in...seriously! I remember because I couldn't decide on which one I wanted and finally decided at the actual Christmas store in MK. I know they were in other places, though. Plus, we were pleasantly surprised that they were 50% off!

Hope your next trip is much better!

Tink-n-Belle
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I see by your tag that you "dream of owning BWV "

We bought DVC in 2005 at the BW and I can't tell you how much of a difference staying at a deluxe resort is compared to the values. At the BW you are so close to everything (in spite of the long endless hallways). You are within walking distance to 2 parks (no buses to deal with) and the general atmosphere is so friendly and peaceful. You have numerous restaurants to choose from and if you just want pizza, that is available too.

Before we bought into DVC I stayed at the values twice and I know that some people just love them I will take my BW dvc!!

I hope your dream will come true someday!!!

udsweetpea
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I see by your tag that you "dream of owning BWV "

We bought DVC in 2005 at the BW and I can't tell you how much of a difference staying at a deluxe resort is compared to the values. At the BW you are so close to everything (in spite of the long endless hallways). You are within walking distance to 2 parks (no buses to deal with) and the general atmosphere is so friendly and peaceful. You have numerous restaurants to choose from and if you just want pizza, that is available too.

Before we bought into DVC I stayed at the values twice and I know that some people just love them I will take my BW dvc!!

I hope your dream will come true someday!!!

The more I've thought about this vacation, I think it was less magical this time because we stayed at All Star instead of POR where we usually stay. And my most magical trips have been when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. One of the main reasons I want BW is because it's always quiet when we go in there and it's so close to the parks. When I have kids, I know it will be the best place for my family to stay. When I lived in Florida, I used to take a book over to the BW lobby and just read for hours.

udsweetpea
12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE!

Seriously though, some of things you stated are either A. Not the fault of Disney but rather their guests and B. You should have done more research for such as your room location and the fact that All-Star is known for being a place where most families go.

Seriously though, I used to work there, so don't tell me to do my research. Choosing All Star was not my decision but that of my parents. Yes, families go there, but it is a policy that an adult stay in the room with their children. This was not the case, and it was not enforced.

Boxley
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Seriously though, I used to work there, so don't tell me to do my research. Choosing All Star was not my decision but that of my parents. Yes, families go there, but it is a policy that an adult stay in the room with their children. This was not the case, and it was not enforced.

The you would of known that kids kind of run a but rampant at All Star. Your room location could have been switched or you could have requested for a certain room. Also for someone who "used to work there" you would have known that the mugs have been the same since 2007. Also, how do you that the resort employees did not go to the family and the parents had decided not to listen? Also, I fail to see how some empty vending machines would contribute to a bad vacation nor the fact that you did not receive a thank you made you that unhappy you had to post here.

udsweetpea
12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
The you would of known that kids kind of run a but rampant at All Star. Your room location could have been switched or you could have requested for a certain room. Also for someone who "used to work there" you would have known that the mugs have been the same since 2007. Also, how do you that the resort employees did not go to the family and the parents had decided not to listen? Also, I fail to see how some empty vending machines would contribute to a bad vacation.

Key words- USED to work there. Last time I was working there was 2006. I don't really keep up with stuff like those mugs anymore. And apparently, I'm not the only one who is a little upset she won't be getting a resort-specific mug anymore.

It wasn't the vending machines that contributed... it was the cast member who acted like I was a nuisance for even asking for my money back. When I worked front desk, people always came by to ask for their money back because of faulty laundry machines, etc.

I understand that kids run around a bit at All Star, but at 6am, that's a little ridiculous. When all of the people in the surrounding rooms, look outside to see if someone's hurt because the kid is wailing, that's pretty bad. We called front desk on the second day. On the sixth day and after 4 calls to the front desk, nothing changed.

You're right, we could have asked to be moved, but it wasn't entirely necessary.

These were all just tiny complaints I had. But the overall picture is that I feel, as many others do, that Disney has lost its magic.

kaytieeldr
12-24-2009, 09:45 PM
We called front desk on the second day. On the sixth day and after 4 calls to the front desk, nothing changed.
As a former (apparent) Front Desk CM, it's reasonable that you would know that room calls don't go to the Front Desk, but rather to a Call Center.

Disney/Universal Fan
12-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Key words- USED to work there. Last time I was working there was 2006. I don't really keep up with stuff like those mugs anymore. And apparently, I'm not the only one who is a little upset she won't be getting a resort-specific mug anymore.

It wasn't the vending machines that contributed... it was the cast member who acted like I was a nuisance for even asking for my money back. When I worked front desk, people always came by to ask for their money back because of faulty laundry machines, etc.

I understand that kids run around a bit at All Star, but at 6am, that's a little ridiculous. When all of the people in the surrounding rooms, look outside to see if someone's hurt because the kid is wailing, that's pretty bad. We called front desk on the second day. On the sixth day and after 4 calls to the front desk, nothing changed.

You're right, we could have asked to be moved, but it wasn't entirely necessary.

These were all just tiny complaints I had. But the overall picture is that I feel, as many others do, that Disney has lost its magic.

Sorry you felt the need to complain about almost evry little thing. As for Disney losing the magic, judging by the crowds, and judging by the three trips I have made since October, the MAGIC is still there! This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that some people complain just to complain.

udsweetpea
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
As a former (apparent) Front Desk CM, it's reasonable that you would know that room calls don't go to the Front Desk, but rather to a Call Center.

I don't know why you wanted to repeat yourself. And as I said before, I KNOW the calls go to a Call Center. So by what you're saying, those calls go to a Call Center just to get ignored?

kaytieeldr
12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Uh, no. I'm saying they don't go to the Front Desk. You "called the 'Front Desk'" several times about the uncontrolled children in the next room, yet nothing changed. Knowing that your calls did not actually go to the Front Desk AND getting no results from those calls, it would have been reasonable to GO to the Front Desk and complain.

ramsfootball92
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Okay. In the spirit of the season I would like to call for a truce. I'm certain that the OP never meant for her post to deviate and take on a life of its own. I believe that she has the right to her opinions as we all do. It seems to be crossing the line and becoming personal with some of the past few posts. I have never worked for Disney but from what I gather, calls made from a resort are routed to a 'call center' and not necessarily dealt with someone physically at that location. However, I would still find it reasonable that a record/log be maintained that would alert mgmt that rm #1234 has reported issues 3 times or had disturbances reported due to noise levels 4 consecutive days.

Honestly, at the end of the day does it really matter :confused3 Let's just please remember that the purpose of the forum is respectful dialogue. We don't have to agree but we should be nice!

maxiesmom
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Uh, no. I'm saying they don't go to the Front Desk. You "called the 'Front Desk'" several times about the uncontrolled children in the next room, yet nothing changed. Knowing that your calls did not actually go to the Front Desk AND getting no results from those calls, it would have been reasonable to GO to the Front Desk and complain.

While I do agree that going to the front desk might have gotten better (or some!) results, the OP shouldn't have had to. Why is there a front desk button on the phone if calling it doesn't mean anything?

Lynne M
12-25-2009, 07:01 PM
OK, now we're going in circles and getting cranky. Everyone's had a chance to offer their opinion, so we'll end it here.